watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bob Marley in Fulham

Started by Riversider, November 19, 2018, 03:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Just finished watching a programme about David Rodigan on BBC 4 , and part of it was filmed on The Fulham Palace Road outside of The Greyhound Pub (Southern Belle for the youngsters)
He told a storey of he saw Bob Marley and The Wailers perform there in 1974 and after the concert as he was walking down The F.P.R after the gig he came across Marley sat in a shop doorway smoking a joint,
The Greyhound was one of the first pubs I got taken in to in the mid 70's, anyone on here got any memories of The Greyhound ?
Massive respect if you saw Marley.

Cambridge Pete

Now there is a blast from the past. In the mid late 60's used to go to the Greyhound in Fulham, the Half Moon in Putney and Eel Pie in Twickenham along with the Railway in Richmond. Saw a host of great acts. In the early 70's saw Bob Marley in Brighton. Oh Happy Days. Thanks for bringing the memories back. A few Saturdays at the Cottage recovering from the night before!

RaySmith

I used to the Greyhound after games in the 70's, including midweek- when there wasn't long left to see the band, with 11pm closing, and I also had to back to Brixton, with no all night tubes running. I used to go to a lot of pub rock gigs at that time - at The Marquee, The Nashville, Hope and Anchor, White Lion.
Great times.

I saw Bob Marley at the Crystal Palace Bowl in 1980 - I think he died soon after that.

HV71

With all that has been going on I'm certainly feeling like one of the  wailers

BestOfBrede

Quote from: RaySmith on November 19, 2018, 05:19:14 PM
I used to the Greyhound after games in the 70's, including midweek- when there wasn't long left to see the band, with 11pm closing, and I also had to back to Brixton, with no all night tubes running. I used to go to a lot of pub rock gigs at that time - at The Marquee, The Nashville, Hope and Anchor, White Lion.
Great times.

I saw Bob Marley at the Crystal Palace Bowl in 1980 - I think he died soon after that.
Great venues there Ray - bring back great memories except I never went to CP
I'll add the Rainbow to that list other than of course Hammersmith and Wembley.
Actually was at Hammersmith sat week ago to see Aussie Floyd!
Bob Marley- well that was at the Speakeasy in mid/late 70s not certain of date.

SP

Some great gigs there, I really enjoyed the Rodigan documentary.  Also saw Aussie Floyd on Saturday & had to use ear plugs to avoid aggravating my tinnitus.

hovewhite

Greyhound played there couple of times as a youth,!

Shredhead

Quote from: hovewhite on November 19, 2018, 10:55:19 PM
Greyhound played there couple of times as a youth,!
Tell us more. You werent in the Lurkers were you?!
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Steeeeeeeeeed

Surely there must be a way to get Fulham into some of his songs for Terrace Chants ?

I am deffo thinking 'We're Fulham'  ('We're Jammin' ')

Etc

Didn't he used to play football on Wormwood Scrubs I think.

Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright

sunburywhite

I saw him in Christmas Carol as Ebenezer Scrooge's s deceased business partner
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

RaySmith

Redemption Song!

Bob Marley was well known for being keen on playing football, and Danny Baker was said to have given him the injury with a tackle in a game of football, which developed into the cancer that killed him- don't know about the truth of this.

Riversider

Quote from: RaySmith on November 20, 2018, 10:27:35 AM
Redemption Song!

Bob Marley was well known for being keen on playing football, and Danny Baker was said to have given him the injury with a tackle in a game of football, which developed into the cancer that killed him- don't know about the truth of this.

A tackle in a football game that developed in to cancer and killed him, and you think that there might be something in that ! Really ?

alfie

Quote from: Riversider on November 20, 2018, 10:52:03 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on November 20, 2018, 10:27:35 AM
Redemption Song!

A tackle in a football game that developed in to cancer and killed him, and you think that there might be something in that ! Really ?

I have looked it up and def was an urban legend, but not true, he had a pre existing melanoma, in his toe that just spread.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RaySmith

I was just reciting what I'd heard, which did seem weird, though doctors said that the  melanoma in Bob Marley's  big toe, which killed him, came from an old football injury, and Danny Baker, as a joke on a radio  phone in  said, apparently, that it was  a tackle he gave him when playing for the NME against the Wailers - and thus the urban legend developed.

But, this wasn't true I've  now discovered- Baker never played for the NME when they played the Wailers- who were supposedly very good players - he didn't play for them until years later.

Stevieboy

Used to live a few doors up from the Greyhound at no.11, remember the opening night with Anita Harris !!
Spent most time in the downstairs bar but saw a lot of good bands there...Vinegar Joe (with Ellkie Brookes and Robert Palmer), Status Quo, Budgie, Free, and a host of others. On reflection probably missed some good bands by staying downstairs!!!
Used to go to Chelsea Drug Store then into Chelsea Kitchen for food and then taxi to game on match days. Saw a few first teamers in there as well......those were the days !!!!

nose returns

Quote from: Riversider on November 19, 2018, 03:46:50 PM
Just finished watching a programme about David Rodigan on BBC 4 , and part of it was filmed on The Fulham Palace Road outside of The Greyhound Pub (Southern Belle for the youngsters)
He told a storey of he saw Bob Marley and The Wailers perform there in 1974 and after the concert as he was walking down The F.P.R after the gig he came across Marley sat in a shop doorway smoking a joint,
The Greyhound was one of the first pubs I got taken in to in the mid 70's, anyone on here got any memories of The Greyhound ?
Massive respect if you saw Marley.

Saw the Strutters at the greyhound. a big noise on the pub circuit that i do not believe had any further success, or am I wrong?
regarding Rodigan. What an amazing man. He looks totally at odds to the music he loves. He got me into dance hall with Rankin' Dread, eastwood and saint Toyan, Ringo, Rankin Jo, Yellowman and many others. Also loved the wide range of reggae he played and all the effects and chants over the records. man is a national treasure except most of the nation don't realise.

Reggae much underrated music art form, still suffering from prejudice.. prejudice against a proper music form based on emotion and not over production, love it.

SP

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on November 20, 2018, 10:13:20 AM
Surely there must be a way to get Fulham into some of his songs for Terrace Chants ?

I am deffo thinking 'We're Fulham'  ('We're Jammin' ')

Etc

Didn't he used to play football on Wormwood Scrubs I think.

Every Little Thing Is Gonna Be Alright

No Fulham no cry?

guru_matt

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: guru_matt on November 21, 2018, 03:25:47 AM
No Slavisa no cry  :016:

Nice :)

Ps, regarding Danny Baker and Bob Marley he speaks about this supposed Urban Legend (which I had never heard of before, but apparently was a if rumour) n a Richard Herring Leicester Square podcast from a couple of years ago.

He pretty much says its all nonsense of course,(but I think he did say he did play in a match against him, and tackeld him hard, but that maybe be urban myth confusing twith memory, etc)

Riversider

3 Little Points !
Would be nice on Saturday  ::pirate::