News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: would you intervene if you saw a police officer being attacked?

Started by SP, November 20, 2018, 10:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Shocking clip on the news of an attack on an officer by youths.  Back in the day I wouldn't of hesitated, these days with the prevalence of knife attacks, I'm ashamed to say I'm not so sure?

ex-Pat

WhiteJC

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: ex-Pat on November 20, 2018, 11:01:38 PM
What's this got to do with Fulham ??

Absolutely nothing, but, when have NFR posts not been allowed on FOF, and, who are you to tell anyone otherwise?

To answer the OP's question, yes, I would intervene, but these days, you just don't know what the offenders are carrying.

Police offices need to better equipped on the streets IMO, stun guns, or, even hand guns.

Lighthouse

I think the point is our first reaction would be to help in any way we could. By calling Police on a phone or shouting at the attackers. Yes I agree one would be foolish nowadays to put yourself  and others life in danger by involving yourself in trying to face people who could be armed and outnumber you. But I hope we wouldn't stop to film the attack and post it on some social media site. That is what is sickening.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy S

Likewise I think it would be morally wrong not to help in some way. It is not always necessary to put your life at risk

Brawn

I would like to think I would, but in all honesty I would probably wimp out of it if that ever happened to me.

alexbishop

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 20, 2018, 11:29:18 PM
I think the point is our first reaction would be to help in any way we could. By calling Police on a phone or shouting at the attackers. Yes I agree one would be foolish nowadays to put yourself  and others life in danger by involving yourself in trying to face people who could be armed and outnumber you. But I hope we wouldn't stop to film the attack and post it on some social media site. That is what is sickening.

Posting on social media - I agree. But filming the incident would of course have the benefit of assisting investigations after the incident and providing evidence
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Snibbo

Case in Melbourne recently of a mentally deranged guy stabbing people in the city and a bystander intervening with a shopping trolley. Turns out the heroic man, now known as "trolley guy" was unemployed and "known to the police". Over $100k was raised for him in crowdfunding. He's since been charged with a number of burglary offences.

KJS

I'd like to think I would but I'm from a different generation who were always taught to help others in need, the problem is as mentioned earlier you never know what these idiots are carrying or in fact "On"!!

More to the point the *something something* filming it should have been given a slap!

Twig

I saw this clip and couldn't decide who were worse the assailants or the Neanderthal with the phone camera.
Not sure at my age how useful my intervention would have been but I don't believe I should run away. I wouldn't have forgiven myself if I had stood by and one of those two officers had received a life changing injury. Scared or not I would feel morally bound to try to help.

gang

Oakeshott

I think one will only know for sure if such an event actually happens when one is around. I'd like to think I would weigh in to assist the police, but whether in the actuality of the situation I'd have the guts, I'm not 100% sure.

Woolly Mammoth

About two years ago I intervened to prevent two members of the constabulary, one a WPC having their lights punched out by a group of nasty unpleasant drunken individuals.
The WPC was eternaly grateful to me bless her, and could not stop thanking me.
The other constable seemed a bit of a snowflake to me. Fresh faced and very polically correct, and brainwashed, probably reads the Guardian.
He had the cheek to say afterwards when the Cavalry arrived, not a word of thanks, he said he felt I had been a little heavy handed, wanted me to make a statement because I broken one of the low life's fingers, fractured another's eye socket, although that did look bad at the time, and I found out later I had fractured another geezers cheek bone.
Yet I thought I was quite restrained and was only defending myself when I found they wouldn't listen to reason, and I pulled my punches.
Anyway I told him next time I will just step over his inert limp body, and leave him to it.
I told him at my age he was lucky I was able to help, and he was ungrateful, I thought he was going to burst into tears.
I ended up down the local cop shop to make a statement, the Sergeant thanked me off the record. had to go to court as a witness, and two of these individuals turned up in court in a meat waggon as they were being remanded for other offences, you couldn't make it up.
But would I do it again probably, although I am not the man I was, too much wear and tear, and I would rather die with my boots on, than end up in an old people's home arguing the toss with another old codger over the best armchair in the lounge, but I might need to invest in a stab vest next time I go into battle.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

Very interesting post. Like a few would not of hesitated for a second back in the day, but now topping 70 with a season ticket to the medical Centre???
Maybe that baseball bat in the car is not such a bad idea.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

gang

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
About two years ago I intervened to prevent two members of the constabulary, one a WPC having their lights punched out by a group of nasty unpleasant drunken individuals.
The other constable seemed a bit of a snowflake to me. Fresh faced and very polically correct, and brainwashed, probably reads the Guardian.
He had the cheek to say afterwards when the Cavalry arrived, not a word of thanks, he said he felt I had been a little heavy handed, wanted me to make a statement because I broken one of the low life's fingers, fractured another's eye socket, although that did look bad at the time, and I found out later I had fractured another geezers cheek bone.
Yet I thought I was quite restrained and was only defending myself when I found they wouldn't listen to reason, and I pulled my punches.
Anyway I told him next time I will just step over his inert limp body, and leave him to it.
I told him at my age he was lucky I was able to help, and he was ungrateful, I thought he was going to burst into tears.
I ended up down the local cop shop to make a statement, the Sergeant thanked me off the record. had to go to court as a witness, and two of these individuals turned up in court in a meat waggon as they were being remanded for other offences, you could make it up.
But would I do it again probably, although I am not the man I was, too much wear and tear, and I would rather die with my boots on, than end up in an old people's home arguing the toss with another old codger over the best armchair in the lounge, but I might need to invest in a stab vest next time I go into battle.
[/

Good for you Woolly.

One James stannard

I ended up down the local cop shop to make a statement, the Sergeant thanked me off the record. had to go to court as a witness, and two of these individuals turned up in court in a meat waggon as they were being remanded for other offences, you could make it up.

Ok Uncle Albert calm down  :005:

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 21, 2018, 11:53:59 AM
Very interesting post. Like a few would not of hesitated for a second back in the day, but now topping 70 with a season ticket to the medical Centre???
Maybe that baseball bat in the car is not such a bad idea.

I know the feeling, keep your baseball bat in your car, that's my advice.
Personally I always keep a Three Cylinder Flamethrower and an M1 A9 Bazooker and my wife in mine, you never know when all three will come in handy.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: One James stannard on November 21, 2018, 11:59:28 AM

Ok Uncle Albert calm down  :005:

Love it and it made my wife laugh, and she hardly laughs at anything.  064.gif

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alexbishop on November 21, 2018, 06:52:39 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on November 20, 2018, 11:29:18 PM

Posting on social media - I agree. But filming the incident would of course have the benefit of assisting investigations after the incident and providing evidence

I am not sure that the Police Officer having his eyes blacked whilst some Knob films his or hers demise would somehow agree.

Never forget your Roots.