Main Menu

Did Seri give the ball away in the first four minutes

Started by The Swan, December 05, 2018, 10:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 05, 2018, 11:07:33 PM
Quote from: nose on December 05, 2018, 11:04:29 PM
seri came with a massive reputation...
in reality at best he is ordinary and under pressure has no fist touch. loses possesion with alarming regularity

when he has space and time and under no pressure can pick a pass and flatters to decieve
IMO he is a waste of money, i have seen much worse than seri but for the reported fee surely there is much better
the fact tonight was a better/improved performance speaks volumes for how poor he has been rather than a measure of how good he is.
that is my opinion based on seeing him in the flesh all season.

The fee we paid is irrelevant when discussing if he is good enough. We have already paid it so we will never get anything better for those millions. It doesn't matter if he plays like a big money signing. At this point it matters whether he plays good enough. I think he does most of the time, and I do get that you think he doesn't.
Off subject and what was your opinion about Rui Fonte just to give me a better insight to FFC recent signings?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Carborundum

Played one particularly lovely pass to Vietto I think later in the first half. 

The fourth minute incident was horrible.  Yes the pass he received was difficult.  But here's the thing.  A lot of players would instinctively know that getting something on the ball and booting to safety is non-negotiable.  He didn't.  He's just not comfortable with the rabid dog aggression served up in this league. 

Got better though and didn't let head drop. 

Sting of the North

Quote from: davew on December 05, 2018, 11:36:22 PM
in reality at best he is ordinary and under pressure has no fist touch. loses possesion with alarming regularity

when he has space and time and under no pressure can pick a pass and flatters to decieve
IMO he is a waste of money, i have seen much worse than seri but for the reported fee surely there is much better
the fact tonight was a better/improved performance speaks volumes for how poor he has been rather than a measure of how good he is.

The fee we paid is irrelevant when discussing if he is good enough. We have already paid it so we will never get anything better for those millions. It doesn't matter if he plays like a big money signing. At this point it matters whether he plays good enough. I think he does most of the time, and I do get that you think he doesn't.
Off subject and what was your opinion about Rui Fonte just to give me a better insight to FFC recent signings?

I liked Rui early on, but he never seemed to really get into things. Good movement, but very little end product and got easily pushed off the ball. Never really looked like a class player in my opinion. Don't know if my opinion should matter though, but that's how I remembered it.

colinwhite

Seri played. better today ,but their goal was down to his get caught way out of position on the sideline,pressing the ball when he should have left that to others.Odoi is also ball watching so even this criticism is a bit harsh.

Statto

Quote from: colinwhite on December 06, 2018, 06:58:48 AM
Seri played. better today ,but their goal was down to his get caught way out of position on the sideline,pressing the ball when he should have left that to others.Odoi is also ball watching so even this criticism is a bit harsh.

I think I counted something like 6/7 players just running towards the ball, almost the whole team's positioning was terrible unfortunately

ffcthereligion

I think this is an excellent summary. James Maddison was 20m in comparison and will most likely be on lower wages

toshes mate

For sure Seri makes mistakes in a team of players who make mistakes, in a game of players who make mistakes, run by officials who make mistakes. Seri, unfortunately, now has form for his mistakes costing us goals against.  Last night the early comedy of errors was a result of players not concentrating on what they need to do (indivdually and  collectively as a team) to tighten up and stop making mistakes when in possession, but didn't, thanks to Rico, cost us a goal.  Cannot fault Seri's workrate last night but I still struggle to justify him his place against a better natural ball winner in midfield.

This team is, IMO, still 'between managers' but we need to start regularly winning games both home and away if we are to have a chance of staying up.  Our current PPG under Ranieri is right where it needs to be if we are to survive, but some of the games coming up are much tougher propositions than last night's affair.  I am still waiting for signs of improvement in the cohesion of team partnerships (which is what the play between Vietto and Seri demonstrated in its absence).  Chambers meanwhile pushes on relentlessly towards making football a one man show and I hope he gets the goal he deserves at Old Trafford. 

KJS

Quote from: Statto on December 05, 2018, 10:16:08 PM
Did any player not give the ball away at some point in the 94 minutes?

How many more times will i see crap seri posts?

Agree Statto so many on this forum seem to have it in for Seri, he is not perfect but he tries his heart out in every game, Sess is not perfect but everyone thinks he is the 2nd Coming at times!!!

Give it a rest on the Seri front and get behind the guy  049:gif

@jolslover

It was Seris best game in a while for us, Thought he looked good. It's good Ranieri is keeping faith in him as I think he will only improve the more games he plays and I think come the end of the season he will be key to whether we have stayed up or not.
STH H3

Moltobueno

Seri was good. Vietto's poor pass gave the ball away.

Mitch

He did, although he received it in a bad position. He does that a lot - not sure if it's him making up for others, or his own poor awareness when receiving the ball. Almost as embarrassing was Odoi falling over his own feet trying to get back. Thank goodness for Rico.

Dodger53

Too many of our players are not good enough for the PL and Seri is one of those, he was not responsible for early mistake but he is so light weight he is just bounced off the play so often. Vietto and Christie are also not good enough IMO.

FFC1987

I still think it was Seri's fault against Chelsea but it wasn't really his fault against Leicester. Poor ball to him and not really near him unlike Chelsea pass.

filham

I decided last night to wipe the slate clean with Seri and forget his recent performances, his transfer fee and his reputation.

He worked hard had a reasonable game but gave the ball away at times but then that seems to be a trait with most of our players. Seri has yet to fully adjust to the premier league but I still wonder if we wouldn't be better of with a tough ball wining player in that deep position.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 05, 2018, 11:54:27 PM
Quote from: davew on December 05, 2018, 11:36:22 PM

I liked Rui early on, but he never seemed to really get into things. Good movement, but very little end product and got easily pushed off the ball. Never really looked like a class player in my opinion. Don't know if my opinion should matter though, but that's how I remembered it.
Admittedly a bit irrelevant but given his passion and enthusiasm I was always a big Rui fan, even if he wasn't that good. Him celebrating Mitro's goal vs Sunderland in front of the Hammy end like mad was one of last season's more underrated moments.

win-dup

Yes he did lose the ball in the fourth minute - yet again, and though he was slightly better in this game than previously still think he is a very ordinary player. Cannot see a single indication of where his massive reputation comes from.

Woolly Mammoth

The return of players getting back their confidence will be crucial in reviving the team. But there is only so far that can take us.
We need quality reinforcements in January to avoid the trap door.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bill2

Quote from: BarneyTravers on December 05, 2018, 11:22:43 PM
Seri grew in confidence after the early mix up and as the game progressed was both energetic and considered with his  range of passing.

He needed that performance.

Well done Seri.

coyw

Agree with this post, challenged back and made tackles. Did some nice touches and gave a great through ball in the second half.

nose returns

Actually the fee and reputation do matter. They matter because somebody thought it was a good idea to aquire him and  a bunch of other players that have spectacularly failed to impress. Seri was announced with a fanfare as a coup, beating others to the punch, and he was a few moments from joining Barca. Well unfortunately i think we can see why the others diodn't tru harder and Barca changed their mind.

Without his reputation I would suggest seri would be a fringe player at best. He has contributed little, loses possesion through poor first touch, being slow to react and poor passing far too often. It seems to me the pace of the prem just does not suit him, he is not used to it. Last night he was almost OK, but for a player with that price tag and fanfare I expect him to be able to stand out and make a difference.

The issue is the purchasing policy, it has been wrong since we were in our last season in the prem, it remains so. It is a pity that lessons have not been learned, I really love the owner and can see how determined he is and committed he is, but I cannot understand why he does not correct this obvious shortcoming at the club.

nose returns

Quote from: ffcthereligion on December 06, 2018, 08:01:39 AM

I think the comparison with maddison is brilliant. We would never have purchased maddison, our recruitment team would not have managed to see him as a brilliant acquisition. It is a shame.
I think this is an excellent summary. James Maddison was 20m in comparison and will most likely be on lower wages