watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Racism

Started by BedsFFC, December 11, 2018, 11:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Has anyone seen/experienced any following FFC?

I have to be aware that, being a white guy, maybe my antennae is not always up and I may have missed thing.

The only thing that springs to mind is sitting down the back of the Golden Lion with my young son at the time, watching the TV pre-game an idiot in a group was being overly racist at black players on the screen at the time. I didn't say anything. Fairly sure it would have kicked off if I had. He kept looking for agreement to what he was saying and I just ignored him.

I remember going to a West Ham away game with a black mate from school. He was a hammers fan and had never been to a game, we were about 15. This would have been mid 80's !!

Obviously this was terracing. Half way through the 2nd half, it was clear my mate was being slowly targetted. Little commets from behind us. It was def going to lead to something. My mate, who was a tough inner London lad, was terrified. From watching a game, we had to get out of there sharpish.

I've seen a few bad things following Fulham(mostly the on-pitch quality of our play) and been in a couple of scraps in the 80's (protecting myself)  but nothing racist

SuffolkWhite

Believe it or not I can remember a few racist comments when Paul Parker made his debut, but since then I have never heard anything at the Cottage. I did hear racism at some away games in the 80's which is no surprise.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

FFC1987

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any club that doesn't have at least some form of racism shown at a game to be honest. Some clubs have it worse (Chelsea) but even on a local level in Suffolk, I've heard it and only about 12 people went....

snarks

Never seen any racism following Fulham, (although when Chelsea had the female physio, the abuse she got was terrible, and made me feel ashamed), although I have seen it at other grounds. The most recent example was at St Mary's (we get tickets through work and I was taking clients,) where some bloke was being very racist to one of their own players. He was clearly on something and I mentioned it to a steward, but they had to actually catch him saying it, and every time the steward walked past he shut up.

I really don't get the mentality

Westlondonffc

The BBC need to get off their high horse. Preaching about eradicating racism and severe punishments, yet re-hired Trevor Sinclair as a pundit despite him pleading guilty and being convicted of a racially aggravated offence

Southcoastffc

Interesting debate on talksport today which, in summary, spme argued that strong abuse is ok, provided it's not illegal (e.g. racist, sexist, homophobic).  I completely disagree.
  Looking at the Chelsea footage (more graphic than the stills) whatever those guys were saying I am appalled at the hatred they appear to be showing. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Westlondonffc on December 11, 2018, 12:36:50 PM
The BBC need to get off their high horse. Preaching about eradicating racism and severe punishments, yet re-hired Trevor Sinclair as a pundit despite him pleading guilty and being convicted of a racially aggravated offence

On that note KickItOut have called for people to be given harsher punishments (including long jail time) for racial abuse, but in the case of Trevor Sinclair said it would "offer support and guidance".

FFC1987

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 11, 2018, 12:51:16 PM
Interesting debate on talksport today which, in summary, spme argued that strong abuse is ok, provided it's not illegal (e.g. racist, sexist, homophobic).  I completely disagree.
  Looking at the Chelsea footage (more graphic than the stills) whatever those guys were saying I am appalled at the hatred they appear to be showing.

Not sure who said it was ok, they're being investigated, likely banned and potential criminal charges given to them. Seems pretty open and clsoed case to me.

Jimpav

There used to be a bloke in his 50's that sat in front of me that would whip himself up into a frenzy most matches, he was occasionally racist but in fairness he was generally angry at pretty much every opposition player and the officials.

Neutral Zone Ultra

I have, sadly, seen mild cases of it on this board, including a thread titled 'flog the frogs' with regards to players who aren't even French.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Statto on December 11, 2018, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 01:13:21 PM
I have, sadly, seen mild cases of it on this board, including a thread titled 'flog the frogs' with regards to players who aren't even French.

French is a race now is it. News to me
Alright then, xenophobia. Whatever it is, it isn't pleasant and has no place on this board or in football.

MJG

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 01:26:40 PM

Alright then, xenophobia. Whatever it is, it isn't pleasant and has no place on this board or in football.
I would agree with this. On another thread this week it was no more french dwarfs.
Just the views of a long term fan

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: MJG on December 11, 2018, 01:31:20 PM

I would agree with this. On another thread this week it was no more french dwarfs.
Another thing I saw: "Kanté is a freak"

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 01:38:01 PM

There was nothing racist about that post at all. The context of the author's post was that Kante is an incredible player despite his small stature.

Mince n Tatties

I once got called a baldy bugger by someone in the Hammersmith end for spilling my marshmallows everywhere.😵

FFC1987

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on December 11, 2018, 01:38:01 PM

Way to conflate man.....

Lighthouse

I am of a generation where 'casual racism' was fairly normal. I had friends  who were Pakistani and Indian. But it didn't stop me from using the ugly terms of the day in conversation. Anymore than them using casual homophobic insults towards people they didn't like.  Anymore than parents reading stories about Golliwogs. it wasn't so much caused by hatred but by ignorance. George Best was singled out for his long hair by those that feared his football skills.

What we have now is the pretence of political correctness and saying the right thing. Sometimes that pretence slips. But at Fulham there has been the same casual remarks that now would seem shocking.  I was standing at the Hammersmith End watching us play Watford in a cup game. Barnes flew past Roger Brown and scored a late winner. A voice behind me shouted abuse and the 'N' word at Barnes. I turned around and saw the bloke was a black lad shouting the insults.  It was borne out of anger but not  hatred at Barnes being black. Just his skill. Does not excuse it but does explain it.

Too often we look for insults and I am not sure that our political pretence is that much more healthier than the uglier days. No there is no room for such abuse nowadays. But we need to question the reason and it isn't always the simple answer.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Take Me Home MAF

Never heard anything from Fulham fans in nearly 20 years. Only racism I have heard at football was from a West Ham fan a while back.

Chelsea have a historical issue. Their hooligan firm had/has links to neo-nazi and other far right organisations, it was evident in that Paris Metro incident a few years back that they had still not shaken it.

Said it before, Chelsea fans are a different breed.

Westlondonffc

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on December 11, 2018, 12:53:41 PM
Quote from: Westlondonffc on December 11, 2018, 12:36:50 PM

On that note KickItOut have called for people to be given harsher punishments (including long jail time) for racial abuse, but in the case of Trevor Sinclair said it would "offer support and guidance".
Laughable. The double standards are astonishing

Woolly Mammoth

A friend of mine who has bright Red hair, was subject to racial abuse by a nasty Asian looking bloke outside Valley Parade Bradford City many moons ago. The guy called him a G inger Bread Man for no reason at all. .
I had never ever looked at my Red headed friend that way before. But ever since then, every time I have felt ravenous, I have advised him stay indoors, until my hunger passes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.