watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did The Manager Cost Us The Game?

Started by Mince n Tatties, December 16, 2018, 06:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

After his terrible performance at right back up in Manchester, why did he persist in playing Odoi at right back again yesterday.
When Christie came on second half,the back line looked more settled?,or was it that the game was already lost.

fulhamben

Yep I'm with you. I'm sick to death of having to change our back line because the manager got his team selection wrong.  Slav constantly did it and now raneri seems to do it every match
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

hovewhite

Initially up to the leciester Game I thought he'd found his best defensive line up only to blow it for a plan that's set us back to confusing the players.Madness to bring ream back in and odoi to RB for Christie.

fulhamben

Quote from: hovewhite on December 16, 2018, 07:12:43 AM
Initially up to the leciester Game I thought he'd found his best defensive line up only to blow it for a plan that's set us back to confusing the players.Madness to bring ream back in and odoi to RB for Christie.
agreed. First few games we had a settled back four,  mlm got injured and it should have been a straight swap for Bryan and nothing else. Think it's clear he doesnt rate Christie that much, but that should have been a problem for the window, not must win games
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

hovewhite

Quote from: fulhamben on December 16, 2018, 07:32:21 AM
Quote from: hovewhite on December 16, 2018, 07:12:43 AM
agreed. First few games we had a settled back four,  mlm got injured and it should have been a straight swap for Bryan and nothing else. Think it's clear he doesnt rate Christie that much, but that should have been a problem for the window, not must win games
when he came in up to the leciester game I felt confident about surviving but think we will go down as the new arrivals have taken away more than they have offered.

Beamer

Does anybody really believe that the side we came up with would have done any better in the PL. No point in looking back, let's worry about how to strengthen from where we are now.

Woolly Mammoth

Hmmm Which really goes to show, do these Coaches/Managers know very much more than the man or woman in the street. It makes you think doesn't it.
Despite the fact that they have the advantage of working with them in training all week. They still don't get it right, and they get paid a small fortune to fail, as do the players, are we being taken for a ride.
It's a simple game. complicated by coaches and pundits.
Putting out training cones is not that difficult, try it yourselves.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Beamer on December 16, 2018, 08:40:21 AM
Does anybody really believe that the side we came up with would have done any better in the PL. No point in looking back, let's worry about how to strengthen from where we are now.

That's not the question though is it,after conceding 3 in first half last week,and 2 yesterday, he persisted in playing Odoi at rightback.

Jimpav

Ageed. Odoi is not up to the job at right back and Ream is not up to the ask of centreback.

Strange decision by Ranieri. He's going to need two wins from the next 3 to restore any credibility.

Good luck with that.

Beamer

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 16, 2018, 08:51:18 AM

That's not the question though is it,after conceding 3 in first half last week,and 2 yesterday, he persisted in playing Odoi at rightback.

I think the point is that whoever of the pair he chose was a matter of which of two players not up to the required level in the PL might be the least bad option. In fairness he didn't know we were going to concede 2 more when he picked him for a second time but I know what you mean.

Lighthouse

A point I made before the United game. I thought the back line looked better. Not great but at least looked as if they knew each other after a few games. Then we swap Ream for Odoi and move him out and drop Christie who has been one of the better players although can't cross a ball. So we are back to looking like strangers again.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

choice_of_ends

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 16, 2018, 06:40:28 AM
After his terrible performance at right back up in Manchester, why did he persist in playing Odoi at right back again yesterday.
When Christie came on second half,the back line looked more settled?,or was it that the game was already lost.
Yes, Christie was much better but he also had fresh legs. I assume, the reason for playing Odoi RB is that Mawson should play RCB. When Christie came on Odoi played RCB and Mawson moved left with Ream subbed off. Guess Ranieri will head for a new LCB allowing Mawson to play RCB. Curious to see what will happen in the January window to our back four.

Woolly Mammoth

If Ranairi cannot galvanise Fulham we are sunk.
It really does boil down to who we sign in January, providing the owners son does not interfere, wasting his fathers money on the wrong players. But then again, which players would want to join a sinking ship.

Never forget your Roots.

Beamer

Quote from: Beamer on December 16, 2018, 08:57:25 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 16, 2018, 08:51:18 AM

I think the point is that whoever of the pair he chose was a matter of which of two players not up to the required level in the PL might be the least bad option. In fairness he didn't know we were going to concede 2 more when he picked him for a second time but I know what you mean.

Christie couldn't get into the Middlesboro side or into ours in place of Fredericks last year and Fred can't get a game at West Ham (I know he is currently injured but he has barely played since the start of the season) so how did we think that he would do the job for us and not make that position signing one of our priorities.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 16, 2018, 08:49:51 AM
Hmmm Which really goes to show, do these Coaches/Managers know very much more than the man or woman in the street. It makes you think doesn't it.
Despite the fact that they have the advantage of working with them in training all week. They still don't get it right, and they get paid a small fortune to fail, as do the players, are we being taken for a ride.
It's a simple game. complicated by coaches and pundits.
Putting out training cones is not that difficult, try ict yourselves.
It's not an exact science is it, the manager selects a team that he thinks is right for the job, if that is not hard enough we have a couple hundred coaches/mangers on this board alone that would perhaps do something different, like with players coming in, you have no idea how it will work until it doesn't.
Then when a particular player makes a mistake (as we all do) he then becomes Satan's spawn.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

davew

Simple answer, yes!! Very poor team selection, writing on the wall as soon as the team was announced. Really fed up watching game after game when every time the opponents attack they look like scoring and more often than not do so. On the other hand our attack is sub standard, poor crossing, corners, play in the box and of course finishing! I do think our current squad would be good enough to be mid table in the Championship, but how many of them will be with us next season, worrying!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: davew on December 16, 2018, 09:20:26 AM
Simple answer, yes!! Very poor team selection, writing on the wall as soon as the team was announced. Really fed up watching game after game when every time the opponents attack they look like scoring and more often than not do so. On the other hand our attack is sub standard, poor crossing, corners, play in the box and of course finishing! I do think our current squad would be good enough to be mid table in the Championship, but how many of them will be with us next season, worrying!

I don't think there is a side in any level of football that takes worse corners than us,and it was the same last season,the amount of times it doesn't get into the box is unbelievable.

davew

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 16, 2018, 09:25:51 AM

I don't think there is a side in any level of football that takes worse corners than us,and it was the same last season,the amount of times it doesn't get into the box is unbelievable.
Agreed, you rarely see a bad corner in any other televised match, we don't have 1 player that can take a decent corner, perhaps Rico should have a go?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 16, 2018, 09:25:51 AM

Indeed the ball never gets passed the first defender. If we cannot get the basics right, then we are up the creek without a paddle.
I have seen many Sunday morning footballers with better technique.
Before Ranairi replaced Jok, we were a ship without a rudder, I would imagine he has made the dressing room a happier place with his charm and experience, but we appear to be a ship without a crew.
Having said all that, apart from our defending and finishing yesterday, in between we had the vast amount of possession, which I admit means Jack poo, and had some decent spells, even though milky players like Schurrie who thinks he is doing us all a favour was carried during the time he loafed around the pitch.
The difference was that West Ham has the quality in attack and in defence that we lacked, and that is down to the substandard recruitment in the summer, and their lack of foresight, vision, experience and qualifying knowledge in how to build the foundations to be a Premier Division outfit.
The recruitment in the January Window and Ranairis ability to galvanise a squad of players lacking confidence and desire and passion and belief in themselves and each other, is all we have left.

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Agree with others. Niether Odoi nor Christie are PL standard but neither is Ream, and Christie is a better RB than Odoi. We looked far better with the MLM-Odoi-Mawson-Christie back 4 in previous games, and more solid when Odoi moved back to CB against West Ham. I have no idea why Ranieri wanted to change it, but having had to change it back mid-match, surely now he has learned his lesson.