more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (22/12/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 21, 2018, 11:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Report: Newcastle United could rival Fulham for Danny Simpson in January

Premier League duo Newcastle United and Fulham are both reportedly interested in signing Leicester City right-back Simpson in the January transfer window.

Could Danny Simpson be on his way back to Newcastle United?

The experienced right-back spent three years at St James' Park between 2010 and 2013, making 138 appearances and helping The Magpies win the Championship title before leaving for Queens Park Rangers.

But with his Leicester City contract due to expire at the end of the season, The Mail claims that Newcastle are keeping tabs on the situation with a move back to Tyneside on the cards.

It is understood that The Foxes are considering whether or not to cash in on Simpson in January rather than lose him for free next summer, though a new deal is not completely off the table as it stands.

Newcastle are expected to face competition from Fulham, however, with Cottagers manager Claudio Ranieri interested in reuniting with a defender who was a key part of his title winning Leicester team in the 2015/16 season.

Fulham have conceded the most goals in the Premier League with right-back one position that could do with some top level experience.

The Mail adds that a number of Championship clubs are keeping tabs on Simpson too with his future up in the air.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/21/do-report-newcastle-united-keen-to-re-sign-danny-simpson-from-le/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss wants shut-out against Newcastle

Claudio Ranieri has admitted Fulham are desperately craving the daily bread of a clean sheet to kick-start their Premier League survival fight.

Basement club Fulham boast just nine points from 17 games and a minus 26 goal difference, leaving Italian manager Ranieri challenging the Craven Cottage men to tighten up at the back.

Fulham make the long trip to Newcastle on Saturday, with Ranieri hoping for far greater defensive organisation from his charges.

Ranieri admitted Fulham now face four matches that could potentially define their season, with clashes against Wolves, Huddersfield and Arsenal all in the offing between now and New Year's Day.

"I need a clean sheet, I need a clean sheet, like I need bread, like I need pasta!" said Ranieri.

"This period is very important, because four matches in a row, I'll put Arsenal in that as well.

"It's important for us. So for the players, don't think, it's important, play, then play, then play, then clean up the mind.

"That's important now. I enjoy this period a lot. For us it's very, very important, these four matches in 10 days.

"Of course we want to get points wherever we can, and then after this Christmas period, we'll see.

"For Fulham, bottom of the table, every match is crucial, Every match could be good to survive or not survive. But we'll fight until the end."

Fulham have just one win in 12 Premier League matches and Ranieri knows his side need to pick up points – and fast – to keep pace with the teams above them.

Traditionally the side bottom at Christmas fails to avoid the drop, but the 67-year-old remains confident in Fulham's ability to extend their Premier League stay beyond next summer.

"We need to make a point in two or three matches in a row," the Italian added.

"It's important to take confidence, because now the players are a little nervous and it's normal.

"But they are working well, and who works well, at the end, will win.

"It's important to believe, to work hard and be confident in each other.

"But I love this experience in England, with a busy Christmas, it's changed now in Italy and it's similar there too."

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/fulham/fulham-boss-wants-shut-out-against-newcastle/

WhiteJC

Newcastle vs Fulham preview: Aleksandar Mitrovic has point to prove against Magpies
Watch highlights on the Sky Sports App from 5.15pm on Saturday

Newcastle will be looking to secure a second straight Premier League victory when Fulham travel to St James' Park on Saturday.

Newcastle head into the game having climbed to 14th place in the table as a result of their win at Huddersfield, although with Liverpool and Manchester United waiting in the wings over the Christmas period, Benitez knows how quickly things can change.

He said: "I think we are doing well, but always when I talk about this league, the top sides are so strong that when you have a bad run because you play two or three of them in a row, then everything seems difficult.

"But after, maybe you have two or three games that you can win and you get the points and it seems that everything is fine."

Meanwhile, Aleksandar Mitrovic will return to Newcastle looking to prove a point against his former club, with new Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri hoping the Serbia striker can make a big impact back on familiar ground.

Ranieri insisted, however, that the only reason Mitrovic's Newcastle spell did not quite work out was purely down to the time it takes to acclimatise to English football.

"When you play in another country you can touch the ball two, three times," said Ranieri. "When you play in England one touch is too much, you have to play half-touch.

"That's it. And the player who came in had to think about it. You try to transmit this but only the experience, you need six months, maybe one year to understand this.

"I hope when a player goes back to his previous club he wants to show something more. I hope everything for Aleksandar, believe me, I pray.

"Aleksandar in Newcastle didn't do a very good job because when a player comes from another country it's not easy to adapt immediately to English football.

"But in Fulham he's adapted very, very well. And I hope he can do a very outstanding match. I don't know if they will give a warm welcome to Aleksandar but I hope Aleksandar will make a very good match."

Team news

Ciaran Clark is out of the game after damaging an ankle during last weekend's 1-0 win at Huddersfield, although fellow defender Federico Fernandez (calf) is fit, but midfielder Jonjo Shelvey continues to fight his way back from a thigh problem.

Midfielder Ki Sung-yueng could make his final appearance before meeting up with the South Korea squad for the Asian Cup and full-back DeAndre Yedlin returns from suspension, while Florian Lejeune is available after recovering from a serious knee injury, leaving keeper Karl Darlow (elbow) as the only other name on the casualty list.

As for the visitors, Frank Anguissa remains injured, however, Ryan Sessegnon is set to feature against Wolves on Boxing Day having recovered from a groin problem.

But both Stefan Johansen and Mitrovic are one yellow card away from suspension.

Opta stats

Newcastle have lost their last three matches against Fulham, with the last two meetings arriving in the 2016-17 Championship campaign. They've not lost four in a row versus Fulham in all competitions since October 1982
    Fulham won on their last visit to face Newcastle at St. James' Park in March 2017, winning 3-1. The Whites had netted just two goals in their previous six trips before netting three last time out
    No team has lost more home games in the top four tiers of English league football this season than Newcastle (7).
    Fulham are yet to keep a clean sheet in any of their 17 league games so far this season - only four clubs have had a longer run from the start of a Premier League campaign (Blackburn 27 in 2011/12, Norwich 21 in 2011/12, Bolton 20 in 2009/10 and Leicester 18 in 1994/95)
    In total, Fulham haven't kept a clean sheet in their last 21 Premier League games, shipping at least twice in 18 of those
    Newcastle have lost nine of their last 14 Premier League games against promoted sides (W3 D2), including at home against Wolves this season

Merson's prediction

Newcastle. Without a doubt.

You're never going to stay up if you can't keep a clean sheet. West Ham beat Fulham in second gear, a struggling Manchester United the week before were 3-0 up in no time.

Huddersfield have got a chance of staying up because they may only need to score one goal to win a football match, with a good defence, but Fulham need to score two or three each week to even get near.

I really can't see Fulham keeping a clean sheet between now and the end of the season. They could be cut adrift, it's getting to that stage of the season. I'm not sure what this appointment of Claudio Ranieri has brought Fulham.

PAUL PREDICTS: 3-0 (16/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/newcastle-vs-fulham/preview/390934

WhiteJC

The need for Mitro's Flame

Fulham need a hero right now.

Seventeen games into the Premier League season, Fulham have conceded 42 goals and only tasted victory twice leaving us stuck at the foot of the table and in desperate need of some Christmas cheer. We are currently just three points adrift, so the situation isn't quite at critical yet, but if we don't pick up at least 6 points from the next three games then I'm not sure if we can come back from this. The opportunities are right there in front of us with a trip to Newcastle tomorrow before hosting Huddersfield and Wolves. While there are no easy games in this league, the run ahead of us is probably the most gentle run that we have considering positions in the table.

In games like these we need our players to stand up and be counted, and tomorrow's trip to Newcastle could provide extra motivation for one Fulham man in particular. Aleksander Mitrovic first tasted English football with Newcastle, but the Serbian picked up an unfair reputation as a hot head and a liability. There have been several reasons put forward as to why it just didn't work for Mitrovic in the North East including that he didn't get on with Rafa Benitez and that the style of football didn't suit him. It was a match made in Heaven when Mitrovic was brought to the Cottage under Slavisa Jokanovic last January, with the striker firing us to the Premier League with his goals in the back half of last season.

He also has an impressive seven goals for us this season, not bad for a player whose club currently sits at the very bottom of the league. Without his goals we would be too far adrift already. As we approach a really busy Christmas period of festive football, Fulham need Mitrovic to reignite into a goal machine again. Recently he has found himself isolated and has then cut a frustrated figure, so the team need to increase the intensity and the speed of passes up to the Serbian upfront. We have been far too pedestrian most of the season, and this has resulted in our forward line seeing less and less of the ball. This naturally results in less chances and therefore less goals. It's not rocket science really.

Considering Mitrovic's rather unhappy time at Newcastle under Benitez, I'd back him to be even more motivated than normal to get one over on his former boss. If we get off to a good start, then we could have a solid platform upon which Mitrovic could tear apart his former side. On the other hand, the team will need to be wary of the Newcastle crowd who will do all they can to put them off. Mitrovic is a confidence player, so it's crucial that he doesn't let his head drop.

Our last trip to Newcastle was the best away trip I've experienced, with Ryan Sessegnon silencing a hostile Geordie crowd. We can only dream of something like that this time around. Maybe it's time for another hero?

#COYW

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/12/the-need-for-mitros-flame/

WhiteJC

Forget it Ranieri – Fulham signing this out of favour Bournemouth ace would be a terrible blunder

Why signing Lys Mousset could turn out to be a massive blunder by Fulham

Fulham marked their long-awaited return to the English top-flight by going on a massive spending spree thanks to the deep pockets of owner Shahid Khan. With more than 10 new players being signed either permanently or on loan, there were huge expectations from this Fulham team.

While the fans would have been revelling their happiness during the first few weeks, the reality of the premier league is slowly starting to show on these Fulham players.

All seemed fun and well until their talisman Aleksandar Mitrovic's form dropped off a bit. Since the start of November, he has only scored in one match – getting a brace in the 3-2 win over Southampton towards the end of November.

Considering the amount of money spent and the names brought in, this has been an underwhelming season so far for Ranieri's men.

Lys Mousset is a French forward who was signed by Eddie Howe of Bournemouth from French club La Havre in 2016. He is a mobile centre-forward who gets around the pitch with ease. Capable of bullying and running past the defenders, he hasn't been able to display the complete portfolio of his skills in the red and black of Bournemouth.

Having made only 9 substitute appearances in the premier league so far, he is yet to score in that competition. His lone goal for Bournemouth came in the EFL cup against MK Dons at the end of August.

With Mitrovic already available to them, Mousset is probably not the kind of striker that Fulham need. A player who can complement the playing style of Mitrovic would be the ideal target. A pacy forward who can dribble the ball and create spaces for the likes of Mitrovic and Schurrle to run into would be a better bet.

Mousset has various attributes that are quite similar to Mitrovic and would hence fit better in a team that needs a target man rather than a little forward who can get the players around him playing.

Since he is unproven, going for Mousset at this stage will be a massive risk from Ranieri and he isn't the kind of manager to make a move like that in the middle of a season. If Fulham spend further in the winter window, it should be on a player who would support Mitrovic up front and make the lives of the Fulham midfield players and wingers easier than it's been.

Considering their defensive record, Fulham should focus on strengthening the defence before splurging the cash on another extravagant transfer.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/12/22/forget-it-ranieri-fulham-signing-this-out-of-favour-bournemouth-ace-would-be-a-terrible-blunder/

WhiteJC

Why Everton midfielder James McCarthy is the wrong man to save Fulham from relegation

Fulham are monitoring Everton midfielder James McCarthy ahead of the January transfer window, according to Bleacher Report's Dean Jones.

Yet the Everton midfielder is not the right man to save Fulham from relegation, due to his lengthy injury absence.

McCarthy broke his leg in January after a devastating challenge with Salomon Rondon, and the Irish international has not played a first team match since. In addition, the 28-year-old had only returned to first team action in December 2017 after missing nine months with knee and hamstring injuries.

In all, McCarthy's injury nightmare has resulted in the central midfielder playing just four times in the Premier League since March 2017 — more than a year and a half ago.

There is no doubt when fit, McCarthy is an excellent player, contributing tenacity, aggression, and quick passing in the centre of the park.

But if Fulham sign the Irishman in January, they will be expecting quick results out of a player who has barely seen the pitch in the past two seasons.

As a result, James McCarthy would be the wrong signing for Fulham to make in a bid for Premier League survival, as his recovery from long-term injury is incongruous to a fast revival of form.

https://tbrfootball.com/why-everton-midfielder-james-mccarthy-is-the-wrong-man-to-save-fulham-from-relegation/

WhiteJC

Bruce said selling me might come back to bite him... then my goal beat him in the play-off final: Tom Cairney on his rise to fame and the survival battle at Fulham

Tom Cairney is going over the unseen subtleties that can make all the difference
    In his mind is Kevin De Bruyne and the marvellous torment he inflicted on Fulham
    Fulham are bottom of the division and a manager down by mid-November
    In their case, it means 21 games to save a season, starting at Newcastle

Tom Cairney is going over the unseen subtleties that can make all the difference between the best and the rest.

In his mind is Kevin De Bruyne and the marvellous torment he inflicted on Fulham one evening in the Carabao Cup last month.

'That whole Man City midfield, god, genius players,' he tells Sportsmail. 'I was watching De Bruyne and he just sees the game, how it is moving at that point, how it will look in a moment.

Tom Cairney is going over the unseen subtleties that can make all the difference this season

In his mind is Kevin De Bruyne and the marvellous torment he inflicted on Fulham one evening

Bruce said selling me might come back to bite him... then my goal beat him in the play-off final: Tom Cairney on his rise to fame and the survival battle at Fulham

Tom Cairney is going over the unseen subtleties that can make all the difference
    In his mind is Kevin De Bruyne and the marvellous torment he inflicted on Fulham
    Fulham are bottom of the division and a manager down by mid-November
    In their case, it means 21 games to save a season, starting at Newcastle

By Riath Al-Samarrai for the Daily Mail

Published: 22:40, 21 December 2018 | Updated: 22:40, 21 December 2018

shares

View comments

Tom Cairney is going over the unseen subtleties that can make all the difference between the best and the rest.

In his mind is Kevin De Bruyne and the marvellous torment he inflicted on Fulham one evening in the Carabao Cup last month.

'That whole Man City midfield, god, genius players,' he tells Sportsmail. 'I was watching De Bruyne and he just sees the game, how it is moving at that point, how it will look in a moment.
Tom Cairney is going over the unseen subtleties that can make all the difference this season
+10

In his mind is Kevin De Bruyne and the marvellous torment he inflicted on Fulham one evening
+10

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous
    Next

Rafa Benitez stands by decision to let Aleksandar Mitrovic...
    Claudio Ranieri considering January move to bring Leicester...
    Supporters set to rack up thousands of miles travelling to...
    FA probe Jean Michael Seri transfer to Fulham as lawyer...

Share this article

ADVERTISING

'When the ball is coming to him it is like he knows where everyone is, in front of him and behind. Players like that, honestly, it's like they have wing mirrors.'

It is a nice phrase from a midfielder whose own powers of creation are none too shabby. And yet when talking of mirrors, and disparities in quality, it is hard to shake the thought that Cairney's club, the one he launched into the Premier League with a goal worth £160million, is becoming an ever smaller speck in the rear distance.

They are bottom of the division, a manager down by mid-November, and it's all a mystery when set against the question of how so much summer spending yielded such an underwhelming return.

If there is any hope in the situation, beyond the arrival of Claudio Ranieri and his history of alchemy, it is found in the realism of their captain. He is not one for swerving the truth.

They are bottom of the division, a manager down by mid-November, and it's all a mystery

If there is any hope, besides Claudio Ranieri, it is found in the realism of their captain

In one answer, he says: 'We spent around £100m, a record amount for a newly promoted team — the owners have backed us, and with the quality we have in the squad we shouldn't be where we are.'

In another, on the subject of his side's most glaring weakness, he adds: 'We simply have to keep clean sheets because we have conceded a lot of goals. We need to improve defensively.'

Most issues in between are discussed with the same lack of gloss. Indeed, time in the company of this 27-year-old is fascinating, not least for the fact he has experience of big climbs and bouncing after falls, which feels especially relevant to Fulham at this moment.

In their case, it means 21 games to save a season, starting on Saturday at Newcastle; in Cairney's it meant building a career after being released by Leeds at 16 and then, having pushed open a door at Hull, getting sold on the cheap by Steve Bruce following Hull's promotion to the top flight in 2013.

Cairney built a career after being released by Leeds at 16 and then pushing open a door at Hull

Cairney scored against Villa, simultaneously taking Fulham up and continuing his own ascent

There is a tale in that latter episode. 'It was a tricky time for me,' he says. 'I think Steve Bruce had arrived and in his first season I was badly injured. When I came back it was to a winning team that was on its way to getting promoted so I didn't get in so much.

'That summer I went off and trained hard. I wasn't really overweight beforehand but I maybe had a bit of puppy fat and when I came back after the summer I was in very good shape, but I could understand why as a young player I wouldn't be part of the manager's plans in the Premier League. So he let me out on loan to Blackburn and then sold me to them in the January for 600 grand or something quite low.

'I remember Gary Bowyer, the Rovers manager, telling me that Steve Bruce told him it could be one that would come back to bite him on the a***. It is weird how football works because Bruce was in charge of Aston Villa in the play-off final last season.'

Of course, Cairney got the only goal of that game, simultaneously taking Fulham up and continuing his own personal ascent since joining the club in 2015. He had been good at Blackburn, winning their player of the year award in 2013-14, but his progress at Craven Cottage has been stunning.

He had been good at Blackburn, winning their player of the year award in the 2013-14 season

In each of 2016-17 and 2017-18, he was part of the Championship team of the season, with 19 league goals and 15 assists across the two campaigns. To his view, the Fulham side of those two years was 'possibly the best to ever play in the Championship', and he puts his personal transformation down to the vision of Slavisa Jokanovic, who saw him as a central midfield orchestrator rather than a wide man.

'It sounds strange but playing under Slavs was the first time I had a foreign manager and I'm quite a technical player,' he says. 'Slavs is the first manager I had who has had that way of thinking, playing out from the back.'

The fact it has all gone awry this season was doubly difficult for Cairney because it cost Jokanovic his job last month. The task was always going to be difficult, given the nature of the Premier League, but the signing of 13 players in the summer left a desperately unbalanced and un-bonded squad. Jokanovic was sacked after a run of five points from 12 matches.

'It was a shame,' says Cairney, who missed most of the slump with an ankle injury. 'Slavs knew we were not winning games and we had spent a lot of money and were expected to do fairly well.

In each of 2016-17 and 2017-18, he was part of the Championship team of the season

He puts his transformation down to  Slavisa Jokanovic, who saw him as a midfield orchestrator

'But it was difficult. I felt really bad for him. I had the best time of my career with him, and he had the team playing football that might have been the best the Championship has ever seen. He deserved his shot at the Premier League but it didn't go to plan.

'I gave it a few weeks and let the dust settle a bit and then I sent him a text saying thanks for everything, all the best in the future, and a few other things. He sent one back and Slavs being Slavs, it was a short reply. "No worries, this is football, good luck".

'Football is strange like that. People become a big part of your life and then they lose a job and you might never see them for the rest of your lives. It's the worst thing about football, really.'

The salvation job has fallen to Ranieri, who will forever be the benchmark in defied expectations. He has a major job on at Fulham and slight improvements on the pitch are happening in conjunction with a greater team-building effort off it.

'What he did at Leicester will always be the fairy-tale of the Premier League,' says Cairney. 'That won't be beaten. He has left his name in English football for ever but hopefully he can make another nice story with us.

'He is a warm character and he has shown he is good at getting people closer together. That is how Leicester won the title — they worked hard for each other. And he wants the same closeness here.'

It is something that is needed after the summer influx. 'When you bring a lot of new players in, that is the hardest thing, getting everyone playing together,' Cairney says. 'The gaffer knows that — he took all the players and staff for an Italian on Wednesday — and now it is about building something.'

It needs to happen fast if that spot in the rear-view mirror is to stay in sight.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6521151/Tom-Cairney-rise-fame-survival-battle-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

TT Battle: Salomon Rondon vs Aleksandar Mitrovic

Newcastle United were able to increase the distance between themselves and the Premier League relegation zone heading into their clash against Fulham after they beat Huddersfield Town 1-0.

Salomon Rondon grabbed the only goal of the game, which was his fourth in his last six appearances, and will be the player Fulham will need to be wary of given the current form he is in.

As for the west London club going forward, ex-Newcastle striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is the man everyone can expect Claudio Ranieri to turn to as he looks to guide his side to safety.

Salomon Rondon
Having arrived at St. James' Park as probably Newcastle's highest profile signing of the summer, much was expected of Rondon.

And after a slow start to life in his new surroundings, the 29-year-old is now finally starting to live up to that expectation.

Leading the line for the Magpies, Rondon has been able to both score and create goals in recent weeks, helping his team climb the table following a dreadful start to the season.

More is still needed, though, from the Venezuelan if Newcastle are to improve their league position even further and avoid a relegation scrap.

Rafael Benitez's side are not blessed with goals in midfield or from the wide positions, making it imperative for Rondon to start finding the back of the net on a regular basis.

TT Grade: C+

Aleksandar Mitrovic

While it was a lacklustre beginning to the campaign for Rondon, individually, Mitrovic could not have asked for a better start.

The 24-year-old had no problems with scoring during the earlier part of this term and, without his goals, relegation would have probably been already nailed on for Fulham.

It is not just goals Mitrovic offers the team, though, with his all-round centre-forward play having also been very efficient so far.

With his strength, the Serbia international has been able to play with his back towards goal so well, holding off defenders before bringing his team-mates into the game with accurate lay-off passes.

Should Fulham be condemned to the Championship at the end of the season, there is no doubt that Mitrovic will be one player not joining them in any potential return to English football's second division.

TT Grade: B+

TT Verdict:

Assessing both their games, it is fair to say Rondon and Mitrovic are two very similar strikers. The duo are powerful No.9s who thrive when it comes to the physical side of the game.

However, as far as this season goes, Mitrovic has been more prolific, making Shahid Khan's deal to bring him from Newcastle to Craven Cottage permanently seem better than the one Mike Ashley sanctioned to acquire Rondon.

Only time will tell but, during this moment of time, it looks like Benitez might have been better off keeping Mitrovic in his ranks.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/features/transfer-battles/tt-battle-salomon-rondon-vs-aleksandar-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 18 vs. Newcastle
Can Fulham finally get a nice present this Christmas holiday?

I think we all know how grim it looks for Fulham's chances to stay in the Premier League. At just nine points and with one of the worst defenses in the league, more than just a new coach and a player or two will have to be done in order for them to improve massively. Now you could argue that last weekend's defeat to West Ham was against one of the hotter team's in the top flight. However, Newcastle aren't that far behind in terms of their run of form.

Since the beginning of November, the Magpies have claimed 13 points in seven games. That being said, they only scored eight goals during that span and are still four points above the relegation zone. As long as Mike Ashley is within the vicinity this far north of the country, Newcastle will continue to be a defense-first club while Rafa Benitez is still managing the football club. There is just so much instability at all times at St. James' Park, that a city wide protest could happen any fixture considering how little has been invested in such a "big" club.

I mean, Aleksander Mitrovic was under contract with them and they thought it was a good idea to replace him with an older Salomon Rondon! Yeah, this Newcastle are about as cheap as they come, but they have such a world class coach that he masks everything toxic surrounding him. Bluntly, they have so much worse talent than Fulham do, but because they know their strengths and weaknesses is enough to be better than the rest of the the worst in the Premier League for now.

Until then, everything about Fulham is about as weak as it can get right now. As always, Fulham can keep changing tactics all they like and instill further belief, but as long as their attack is completely reliant on Mitrovic and the permanently inefficient Andre Schürrle, and their defense depends on the out-of-position Denis Odoi or the out-of-his-league Tim Ream, wins will be hard to come by. Maxime Le Marchand and Ryan Sessegnon are still injury doubts and with the way the club is going, that is still enough for this club to be so low in form and confidence right now.

Now Fulham will have plenty of the ball, and this tie could be a 0-0 draw if both teams aren't in the mood to work hard up front. But the visitors have to claim a win, so I continue to expect an open game, even if Newcastle don't want that to happen. Still though, the winners of Saturday's contest will clearly be the ones whose attacking players are most in the mood. Let's hope that, for once this time, Fulham have finally brought their shooting compasses and know exactly how to get past Martin Dubravka.

Until then, here are the players to watch out for the most at Tyneside.

Salomon Rondon

I personally prefer Ayoze Perez much more than Rondon in terms of who is the most dangerous forward in the team. But with a club-leading four goals and two assists this season, you can't ignore the Venezuela International's contribution. Along with that, Rondon has essentially doubled his goal contribution in his last three games. To top it all off, his 3.20 shots per contest are the highest rate he's had since he was at Zenit St. Petersburg back in 2014/15.

Now he has been an inaccurate shooter since arriving in England and that hasn't changed much since his move to Newcastle. His shots go on target just 31% of the time and, while improving, his 13.8% goal conversion rate is still well below his 15.0% career average since 2010/11. Add in the fact that he lacks other skill sets into his game, and you can see how easy it is to beat such a one-dimensional player. But Rondon has known who he is for a while and he will use that to as much of his advantage to guide Newcastle to victory.

Jonjo Shelvey

We go from one player that shouldn't really be that much of a danger with Fulham to another in Jonjo Shelvey. But because of what he brings as a ball-playing central midfielder is what makes him so dangerous. In fact, this seems to be like year-two of the former England man's career nosediving. This season, Shelvey's xG Chain and xG Buildup are the lowest they've been since 2014/15. His completed long ball passes, on the other hand, have reached career highs at 8.22 per contest. If anything, it just goes to show how conservative Benitez in terms of how he sets his players up tactically.

Mohamed Diame and Ki Sung-Yeung will provide the talent they need to shore up the defense, but Shelvey is easily their most important creator after all these seasons. While not high, Shelvey's 0.20 expected assists per 90 minutes is the highest among Newcastles that have played over a quarter of the Premier League season. The fact that you will not find a better creator on the team that is as good as Shelvey as a result.

Paul Dummett
All data from whoscored.com

Finally, Newcastle's defense has been the one saving grace from further embarrassment. However, plenty of their goal prevention has been from the work of Dubravka between the posts. However, if you are looking for someone who represents Benitez's system the most, its the longtime homegrown talent.

At 27, Paul Dummett should finish off the season with well over 200 appearances with the club and has basically not lost his starting left back position since 2014. However, you will not find any offensive output out of the four-times capped Welsh International. If anything, you'll be seeing loads of aerial duels won and little to no mistakes. Safety can known as death, but in this case, safety brings safe results. In the Premier League, avoiding being bad is half the battle for a club that is not in the top six. With Dummett in the lineup, you could do much worse than so many other fullbacks that can wow you and dissapoint you at the same time. Just check out Timothy Fosu-Mensah the last handful of games he's played.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/12/22/18151304/three-players-to-watch-matchday-18-vs-newcastle

Neil D

Quote from: WhiteJC on December 22, 2018, 07:17:33 AM

The Whites have conceded an exorbitant amount of goals this season, with a large number coming from cut-backs to unmarked midfielders that Seri failed to deal with.

Grammatically, if you can count them the noun should be 'number' and 'amount' only if you can weigh it.  But, having conceded so many goals this season, perhaps amount is more appropriate  as in Fulham have conceded a tonne (or ton for imperial fans) of goals.  Other than  that, the assessment of Seri is painfully accurate.

WhiteJC

Danny Simpson linked with a move away from Leicester City to reunite with Claudio Ranieri at Fulham

The defender worked under Ranieri during City's title-winning campaign.

Danny Simpson is the latest Leicester City player linked with a reunion with former manager Claudio Ranieri at Fulham.

The right-back played under Ranieri during City's title-winning season but has fallen out of favour under current boss Claude Puel and is effectively third choice.

Simpson is also out of contract at the end of the season and Puel had said he would allow the players who were surplus to requirements to find new clubs.

Simpson hadn't featured at all this season until Daniel Amartey broke his ankle against West Ham United and was ruled out for four months, but the injury has complicated the matter.

The Daily Mail state that Ranieri is keen to take the 31-year-old to Craven Cottage, but the report also suggests City are considering offering Simpson a new contract because of Amartey's injury, which would be a dramatic twist.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/danny-simpson-linked-move-away-2355235

WhiteJC

Fulham fan talks Mitrovic, THAT leaky defence & the surprise player he sees as our weak link..

Ahead of today's bottom half clash with Fulham, we've been speaking to Jack Collins from @FulhamishPod, who's given us a nice little insight into the side we'll be coming up against come 3pm at St James' Park today.

Without further adieu, here's what he's had to say – starting with his strong assessment of ex-Mag Aleksandar Mitrovic – a player he believes would be 'world class' with just a bit more pace:

"Simply put, Mitrovic is a very, very good player; and no matter how much he worked or didn't work in systems, it's nuts to rule his quality out. That said, I can understand the frustrations with him in terms of counter-attacking – if he had pace, he'd be World Class!

"He's been so good for us that it's hard to knock him – his goal ratio speaks for itself and he's one of our few real leaders in the team, which means his worth soars.

"I'd love to see him get the ball delivered in more for him to attack, and I'm hoping that the return of Joe Bryan at left back will help to assuage that problem.

http://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2018/12/22/fulham-fan-talks-mitrovic-that-leaky-defence-the-surprise-player-he-sees-as-our-weak-link/

WhiteJC

Tom Cairney insists Fulham should not be bottom after spending over £100m on new players

Tom Cairney says Fulham should not be bottom of the Premier League after spending over £100m on "quality" players.

The newly-promoted Whites made 12 new additions in the summer but currently have the worst defensive record in the division, despite signing five defenders, with a minus-24 goal difference.

Claudio Ranieri has since succeeded the sacked Slavisa Jokanovic as manager and Sky Sports News understands Chelsea's Gary Cahill and Bournemouth's Lys Mousset are targets as Fulham look to sign another new centre-back and striker in January.

"We spent around £100m - a record amount for a newly-promoted team," Cairney told the Daily Mail. "The owners have backed us, and with the quality we have in the squad we shouldn't be where we are.

"When you bring a lot of new players in, that is the hardest thing; getting everyone playing together. The gaffer knows that. He took all the players and staff for an Italian on Wednesday - and now it is about building something.

"We simply have to keep clean sheets because we have conceded a lot of goals. We need to improve defensively."

Fulham travel to Newcastle on Saturday looking for only their third win in 18 Premier League games. The west London club are three points off safety and seven behind the Magpies in 14th.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11588666/tom-cairney-insists-fulham-should-not-be-bottom-after-spending-over-100m-on-new-players

WhiteJC

Why statistics are deceptive as far as Newcastle's home form is concerned, claims Rafa Benitez

Newcastle United have lost seven of their nine home matches so far this season, more than any other side in England's top four divisions

Rafa Benitez accepts Newcastle United must start collecting a greater number of points at St James' Park if they are to pull clear of the relegation zone - but he insists the Magpies have performed better on home soil than their results suggest.

United host bottom-of-the-table Fulham on Tyneside on Saturday, with Newcastle having suffered seven defeats in their opening nine Premier League matches at St James' Park this term - the most of any team in England's top four divisions.

Aside from back-to-back victories over Watford and AFC Bournemouth last month, the Magpies have failed to pick up a point on Tyneside - yet Newcastle have lost just twice on the road all season.

Benitez has admitted in recent weeks that the Magpies' counter-attacking style means they are better suited to playing away from home, given that United can sit off the opposition and look to pick them off on the break.

When they play at St James' Park, however, the onus is often on Newcastle to break down stubborn opposition defences and, given their lack of creativity in the final third, they struggle to do so.

As a result, visiting sides such as West Ham United, Leicester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers have been able to pick Newcastle off on the counter - just as the Magpies so often do themselves to opponents on their travels.

"I have tried to explain before that normally when you play away, the other team is going against you," Benitez said ahead of Saturday's relegation clash with Fulham.

"They have to win in front of their fans, so they are a little bit more open and so you have more spaces, so then you can exploit the counter-attack.

"When you play at home, you have some teams who come to sit deep, they are normally more organised, and then it's very difficult to find the space, so you end up making more mistakes and they can counter-attack.

"It's a question of the position of the others teams and, also, the main difference is in the final third. At home you have to be very precise and accurate, and if you make these mistakes then you are exposed in defence."

While Benitez accepts that Newcastle's results in front of their home fans have been disappointing, he refutes the suggestion that the Magpies have failed to perform on Tyneside in the majority of those matches.

Rather, the Spaniard cites the defeats to Wolves and Brighton & Hove Albion as two games he felt Newcastle deserved to win - while he also points to the fact that their opening three fixtures at St James' Park were against so-called 'Big Six' sides in Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Therefore, in Benitez's opinion, the statistics are slightly deceptive - even if he acknowledges that Newcastle are a team who appear more comfortable on their travels.

"I would like to win all the games home and away. If you are asking me: 'What do you prefer?' It doesn't matter," Benitez added of United's form at St James' Park.

"But, obviously, if you are winning more games at home, you have more fans at the same time happy. But, if we can get the points that we need, then it doesn't matter to me where [we collect them].

"Our form at home also, if you see the teams that we have played - Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal - and, after, some of the other games like Brighton and Wolves, with the referee's mistakes, it was very clear we could have won these games, and we could lose the others because the top sides are very, very strong.

"But still we were very close in all of them - very close. So, for me, it's just a question of time. Hopefully against Fulham we start winning, and then we will have more confidence [at home] like we did against Bournemouth or Watford.

"Hopefully we can enjoy a little bit more at home, too, winning games again."

Newcastle are unbeaten against the teams below them in the table, with the 14th-placed Magpies having faced all of the bottom six bar Fulham already this term.

Interestingly, all of those relegation clashes have taken place away from St James' Park, though - with United having collected nine points from trips to Crystal Palace, Southampton, Cardiff City, Burnley and, most recently, Huddersfield Town - and now Newcastle must translate those positive results back to Tyneside.

And Benitez is keen to defeat the Cottagers on Saturday not only in order to bolster United's position in the table - Newcastle are currently four points above the drop zone, and seven clear of Fulham - but also so he can hand "passionate" Magpies supporters an early Christmas present, too.

"Yeah, but for everyone here. I think for a manager, especially at this time, everybody is talking about it being for us, but I think more so for every single fan," Benitez said when asked if a win over Fulham would represent a nice early Christmas present for himself.

"We are professionals and we want to win, but sometimes we don't appreciate that the fans, they have real, real passion - so for them, maybe, it is even more important than for us. Or maybe it is the same level [of importance] for both."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-fulham-rafa-benitez-15585617