more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (24/12/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 24, 2018, 06:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

How Claudio Ranieri steered Fulham to a vital first clean sheet at the perfect time

Fulham were in desperate need of a clean sheet heading into their clash against Newcastle United, with the Whites sporting the league's worst defensive record and sitting bottom of the league.

Although Fulham didn't win on Saturday, Claudio Ranieri steered the club to its first clean sheet of the season at the perfect time.

The Italian manager instituted a five-man defence for the relegation six-pointer, utlising Tim Ream, Denis Odoi, and Alfie Mawson as centre-backs. In addition, Joe Bryan and Cyrus Christie filled in at wingback and completed the backline that held out for a 0-0 draw.

The Fulham backline showed a resilience that has been absent all season, with the Cottagers denying Newcastle a single shot on target the entire match.

Bryan and Christie were tireless workers on the wings, and Mawson, Odoi, and Ream patrolled the centre expertly, clearing danger at every opportunity and appearing shockingly resolute.

The contrast to last weekend could not have been any more stark. Against West Ham, Fulham wilted at the slightest pressure and conceded two goals on two first half shots.

But against the Magpies, the new-look defence appeared compact and determined, owing to the smart decision to reinstate Christie to the starting lineup and move Odoi to a more central role.

In all, with Fulham finally clearing the mental hurdle of earning their first clean sheet of the campaign, Claudio Ranieri can now push on and deliver much-needed victories in the second half of the season.

https://tbrfootball.com/how-claudio-ranieri-steered-fulham-to-a-vital-first-clean-sheet-at-the-perfect-time/

WhiteJC

Cavaleiro excited for Fulham test

Ivan Cavaleiro has turned his attention to a trip to Fulham on Boxing Day but is wary of the Cottagers, under the guidance of Claudio Ranieri.

The Italian took over at Craven Cottage last month and will be looking for vital points in their relegation battle in the Premier League.

Cavaleiro and Wolves stand in their way and will want to return to winning ways but know what Fulham are capable of.

On Fulham fixture

"They can certainly be dangerous because every Premier League side, just like in the Championship, it's tough. Fulham have a very good side, but unfortunately they haven't managed to win many games yet.

"I think it'll be a great game against a good side and we're expecting it to be tough. I think it's a good fixture for us which we're motivated for, while always respecting our opponents.

"We want to go there and get the win. I think our aim has to be step by step and regardless of who we're facing, we want to win."

On Ranieri taking over

"I don't know their coach that well, but I do know that he won the league with Leicester in a season when they didn't have particularly well-known players and that was the year after battling against the drop.

"Everything is possible in this league. Take the example of Leicester winning the league, which nobody expected. I think Claudio Ranieri did a great job at Leicester.

"There are very good sides in this league and our aim is to take it step by step, game by game, win matches and go as far as possible."

#FULWOL

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/first-team/20181221-cavaleiro-excited-for-fulham-test/

WhiteJC

Games for Boxing Day 26/12
So we're at the Home for the festive game and welcome Wolves to the Cottage
Well we finally got a clean sheet against Newcastle on Saturday, I can't remember being so pleased about a 0-0.

Ranieri looks as if he's worked out how we can defend as a team and I think that Wolves will be a tougher test but the good news is that we'll have home advantage.

Wolves lost last time out, however that was against Liverpool so I'm not reading too much into that result. It'll be another test, but the chance of getting off the bottom should give our lads the extra incentive we need.

Games of Interest...
Wednesday 26th
Fulham v Wolves 12:30
Burnley v Everton
Palace v Cardiff
Liverpool v Newcastle
Man utd v Huddersfield
Spurs v Bournemouth

come over to the forum and join in the discussion...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

WhiteJC

Fulham targeting World Cup finalist ahead of window, offer being lined up

Fotomac claim Fulham are targeting Besiktas defender Domagoj Vida ahead of the January transfer window.

The Turkish newspaper report the Premier League side are set to make an offer for the Croatia international, who was linked with a move to Leicester City, Arsenal and Everton in the summer.

Vida impressed for Croatia in the World Cup and was key in his country reaching the final of the competition, leading to interest from England.

Fulham have the worst defensive record in the English top flight this season and their manager Claudio Ranieri could be in the transfer market for defensive reinforcements.

Besiktas have already lost Pepe and the Black Eagles will only sell Vida for the right price, according to the Turkish newspaper, presumably so they can bring in a replacement themselves.

It's also reported Fulham have €15m to spend on two centre-backs in this January transfer window.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-targeting-world-cup-finalist-ahead-window-offer-lined/

WhiteJC

A Message From The Chairman

On behalf of my family and everyone at Fulham Football Club, I want to spend a few moments to wish you all a bright and happy holiday season and thank you for your loyal support throughout the entire journey of 2018.

What a journey this year has been, from 23 consecutive undefeated matches to the Championship Play-Offs and an appearance, finally, at Wembley Stadium and the thrill of promotion, to what has undeniably been a difficult experience thus far in our return to the Premier League.  Our highs and lows have been extreme, and your nerves and mine have been severely tested as a result.

However, I am very encouraged by our past two outings.  Despite a two-goal deficit at half-time versus West Ham United, I thought we began to show signs of the club we envisioned at the start of the season.  And yesterday, at Newcastle United, we produced our first clean sheet of the season and were extremely unlucky late on not to have clinched the game-winner.  In the weeks ahead, we will hopefully build resolve and a capability to capture all three points in matches like this, and I bet we do.  Nonetheless, our scoreless draw represents progress and an important point earned on the road, far away from home.

As I noted when the fixtures were released over the summer, I am thrilled for us to be home at Craven Cottage in the coming days for an early Boxing Day match versus Wolves, and then a traditional 3pm start on Saturday versus Huddersfield Town.  It's been several years since we've been home for the holidays, and that's been a shame not only for our supporters, but just for the fact the setting of the Cottage is as perfect as it gets during the festive season.  Our London derby on January 1st at Arsenal will then keep us close to SW6 as we welcome the challenge and opportunity of a new year under Claudio Ranieri, who will receive my support during the January transfer window as we aim to improve our position in the table.

Let's take the opportunity in the week ahead to enjoy the company of family, friends and fellow supporters of what we all feel is the most special of football clubs anywhere in the world.  I will be at the Cottage on Saturday for the important match against Huddersfield, and hope to see you there.

In the meantime, always know that I remain grateful for the welcome and continued warmth you've given me since being honoured in 2013 with the privilege of serving as your Chairman, and I look forward to sharing good times ahead with you in 2019 and beyond.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Come On You Whites!

Shahid Khan

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/december/23/a-message-from-the-chairman

WhiteJC

Kamara's impact and micromanaging - 4 things we learned from Fulham's draw with Newcastle United

The Cottagers kept their first clean sheet of the season

Fulham can keep a clean sheet

Given previous games this season, a clean sheet felt a long way off. Paul Merson earlier this week even said that the Whites wouldn't keep one for the rest of the season. What does he know?

During the opening exchanges we saw a backline that lacked conviction but as Fulham's possession grew during the first half, Denis Odoi, Tim Ream and Alfie Mawson alll seemed to grown in confidence both with the ball and without. The trio would take the initiative to go and win the ball against the physical presence of Salomon Rondon, while Cyrus Christie and Joe Bryan also stuck to their defensive duties well.

Newcastle may not have managed a shot on target - and that could be debated whether it was how the Cottagers negated their foes any space or through poor forward play - but with a barrage of shots to deal with, the performance and knowledge that the team can get through 90 minutes without a definitive individual mistake should do wonders for the dressing room.

Still more to learn

As you would expect the defence still isn't perfect. Your heart still reaches your throat if not your mouth when there are a lot of bodies in the box, though there was a no nonsense aspect to Fulham's play which definitely felt beneficial if not aesthetically pleasing.

What was clear is that Claudio Ranieri is constantly coaching from the sideline. While that is what you want the Italian to be doing, there was the impression that he was having to micromanage player position for large portions of the game, noting where the defensive line should be, and it felt like Christie in particular was been guided by his manager during the first half as his boss tried to prompt attacks down the right hand side.

All of this is understandable with a new system and it is good to see the side is coachable, but hopefully over the next few weeks positions will become second nature for all of the backline.

Balance is key

When the first clean sheet of the season comes you begin realise that scoring goals is a bit of an issue too.

The Cottagers have managed 16 in 18 with the majority coming from Andre Schurrle and Aleksandar Mitrovic. They were largely isolated today and really struggled to get into the match. Fulham had great chances during the last ten minutes but only had four shots throughout the game.

Ranieri said he was happier with his side's first have performance, but they were certainly less potent in attack at in this period. It certainly looks to be case building from the back which was very necessary but the Whites will have to adjust to attacking when they don't dominate possession. They managed 46% against a Newcastle team who are renowned for conceding it.

On Saturday, the defence looked solid once it settled but if they stick with the system going forward they will need more forward progression through the midfield and Christie and Bryan will need to provide more width. Jean Michael Seri looked very willing to get on the ball but it was predominantly in his own half and Fulham struggled to break through the lines.

They look best when breaking at pace at the moment, a key aspect of their promotion winning season, despite their dominance in possession.

Kamara will always make an impact

For better or for worse Aboubakar Kamara will always make an impact. We saw both sides of the Frenchman on Saturday.

He sparked the flurry of chances that Fulham had in the dying moments showing superb determination to out-muscle the Newcastle defence and burst through on goal. He stayed composed to lay the ball to Mitrovic whose shot looked to be stopped by a hand

The other side of his performance saw a yellow card and plenty of clumsy challenges. He's scored twice and had significant minutes under the new boss but he is someone who seems like a perfect player on the bench that can ask questions of most defences, even if he doesn't always know the answer.

It will be interesting to see if Ranieri uses him in a similar impact role going forward or returns to the starting XI.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/newcastle-fulham-clean-sheet-ranieri-15588660

WhiteJC

Mawson's frustration and Parker's half time role - Moments missed from Newcastle vs Fulham

We take a look at the moments you might not have spotted during and after the match vs Newcastle

Alfie Mawson's motivation and frustration

For all the club's struggles there is no doubt Alfie Mawson wants to play for Fulham. He obviously always shows commitment to go for the ball but after one headed clearance the former Swansea defender was cleared out by Sergio Rico's attempted punch. The defender lay flat on the floor as Fulham's keeper immediately urged medical staff onto the pitch.

It took a little while for Mawson to sit up and then get back to his feet, surely slightly groggy but it certainly did not look like the 25-year-old wanted to leave the field for Newcastle's corner. He looked very unhappy as he walked off the pitch and gestured to the corner, before returning to the pitch as soon as the whistle went.

While his commitment is a positive, it was surprising to see him return to the field so quickly. Perhaps he was tested while grounded but it felt like more rigorous concussion tests would be in place for what seemed like it could be quite serious at one stage. He may have been o.k. but it was a slight reminder that the league might not take head injuries as seriously as you would expect.

Claudio Ranieri's whistling

While it's not uncommon to hear whistles from the crowd, or short, sharp whistles from coaching staff and the referee's own whistle during a football match, this one was slightly different. The kind that left you looking around to see who was doing it.

The Fulham coach would release a flurry of short, quite high-pitched whistles in periods of transition. It felt almost rehearsed that the Italian would release this specific whistle just as the Whites would win the ball back in their own half as if it was a reminder to push the defensive line higher.

It left little doubt that Ranieri is going to be highly influential from the sideline even after the referee starts the match, alongside his constant coaching.

Scott Parker half time role

Scott Parker joined the club in the summer and survived when Slavisa Jokanovic was relieved of his dutues. He's not been at the club long but it already looks like he's got a crucial role to play in the team dynamic. It's been documented that he his well liked within the team and it looks as though he has some responsibility in man-management.

At half time, with neither side particularly inspiring, Parker entered the pitch to slap hands quite forcefully with each player. There was conviction and a confidence that didn't appear forced from the former Newcastle midfielder as he wanted to make sure his team knew they had defended well and made sure their heads were raised as they left the pitch. It's the small things that matter.

Press conference demeanour

In some ways it could be easy to be quite happy with a first clean sheet of the season when you have denied the opposition to just a single shot on target but Ranieri was not in a jovial mood in his press conference. That is not to say he was dismayed - he simply remained very focused and measured. He conveyed the message that this is still a process and his team still needs to get better. A realistic outlook.

There were glimmers of hope and joy in his eye when he spoke about the success of his new system and his thoughts about the penalty appeals, but it was an approach that inspired confidence ahead of a busy festive period.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/mawsons-frustration-parkers-half-time-15588661

WhiteJC

Mixed Emotions For Cyrus

While satisfied with a first Premier League clean sheet, Cyrus Christie believes Fulham should have taken more from their trip to Newcastle United.

The sides played out a goalless draw in the final fixture before Christmas, but Christie felt his side deserved three points, citing some key moments late on, in particular when a goalbound Aleksandar Mitrović shot was repelled by the elbow of home skipper Jamaal Lascelles.

"We had some really good chances late on and the referee's clearly got one wrong when their centre-half turned into their goalkeeper at the end," he told fulhamfc.com.

"Then Abou [Kamara] goes through and Lascelles has done well to recover. Before that Abou went to shoot and his boot came off, so sometimes when your luck's out those sorts of things go against you.

"We'll take the positives now, we move on, and we've got two home games coming up which we're looking forward to."

Claudio Ranieri deployed three centre-backs at St James' Park, with Christie and Joe Bryan operating on either flank as wing-backs.

The switch certainly paid dividends, as the Magpies failed to register a single shot on target.

"It was a new shape under this manager," Christie explained. "He's gone to five at the back and at times we probably could have created a bit more, but we haven't played that formation much before.

"We defended well, we nullified them. We knew what their strengths were and we limited their chances. We defended well and we deserved the clean sheet.

"It was obviously important to get our first clean sheet of the season. I think we defended well, we limited their openings, they didn't really have many, and then at the end we could have won it.

"Our fans were all the way at the top of the stand which is quite far, but we could still hear them throughout. I think we put on a good performance for those that travelled all the way up and hopefully they went home happy."

The away point provides some good momentum going into our Boxing Day clash with Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Christie believes his side are continuing to improve under Ranieri.

"It's a positive to take into the Wolves game," he said. "We look forward to that. We had a good game against them last season and hopefully we can replicate that.

"All the lads are working hard to make us a better team. We're buying into what the Manager's doing and now we need to climb up the league.

"If we'd won it would have been big for us, we would have gained a bit of ground on those above us, but it's a point on the board at the end of the day, and come the end of the season that could come in handy."

Tickets for our Boxing Day encounter with Wolves are available to purchase on General Sale.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/december/23/cyrus-christie-newcastle-reaction

WhiteJC

Claudio's tactical tweak clinches first clean sheet

Well... it wasn't a classic, but a really strong defensive display from Fulham starved Newcastle of opportunities on goal and managed to grind out a 0-0 away from home to earn their first clean sheet of the season. Claudio Ranieri made a tactical tweak for the trip to St James' Park with Cyrus Christie coming in for Aboubakar Kamara to create a 343/541 with the aforementioned Christie playing at right wing back, Joe Bryan opposed him on the left and Alfie Mawson positioned as the central of three centre backs; Tim Ream to his left and Denis Odoi to his right.

Each member of the back five was exceptional at Newcastle with Sergio Rico not facing a single shot on target, but Alfie Mawson takes my man of the match reward. With a game leading seven clearances and comfortable distribution from the back, the former Swansea centre half is starting to show glimpses of being worth the outlay he cost the club in the summer. Calum Chambers alongside Jean Michel Seri patrolled in front of the back five with the defensive efficiency that he's now setting standards for; his four tackles was tied top for frequency within both teams.

Since Claudio Ranieri was appointed, it felt like he would need a window before serious progress could be made. Ranieri-ball is less focused on possession statistics and more so on being defensively well structured and attacking with pace, a formula that mixed with his Leicester City squad of 2015/16 created that miracle title winning team that I'm sure none of us will forget. Fulham's current squad was built with Slavisa Jokanovic's slower, more methodical form of football in mind and is lacking in serious pace throughout but Ranieri is making do with what he has at his disposal.

Fulham struggled to really build counter attacks, partially handicapped by an injury to Ryan Sessegnon but the depth in the squad of players with those characteristics. The Whites struggled to make the ball stick in the final third for large parts of the game, and were dispossessed a massive 21 times (8 of which courtesy of Andre Schurrle, and 4 each from Tom Cairney and Jean Michel Seri). This team needs to play more into space and keep an eye on that for the January transfer window – players that can chase balls into the channels, that can skip past their opposing player and keep up with a more intensive counter attacking approach.

While Wolves will likely be a tougher test with a bit more offensive fluidity than Rafa Benitez's Newcastle, that first clean should hopefully see Ranieri outlay more for those McDonald's meals he suggested in his first press conference at the club. Fulham round out the year with two huge home games against Wolves and Huddersfield and should have the confidence to put in a similar defensive display.

January is the key for me, but that was a big step for Ranieri and team...

To all Fulham supporters, have a very Merry Christmas. And if you don't hear from me by then, a Happy New Year too.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/12/claudios-tactical-tweak-clinches-first-clean-sheet/

WhiteJC

Shahid Khan promises to back Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri in the January transfer window

Fulham are bottom of the table at Christmas but are willing to spend to get out of trouble

Shahid Khan has promised to back Claudio Ranieri in the January transfer window as Fulham spend Christmas day rooted to the bottom of the Premier League.

They managed to get their first clean sheet of the season in a 0-0 draw against Newcastle United on Saturday at St James' Park but it wasn't enough to lift them from the bottom of the division, although they are now level on points with Huddersfield Town with ten but find themselves four points from safety.

Over £100million was spent by the club on 12 new signings but that didn't help Fulham, who sacked Slavisa Jokanovic after 12 matches that saw him pick up just five points as he tried to find a system that suited the new players in his side.

It's clear that Fulham need to strengthen if they're to stay up this season, with a centre back, right back and a striker top priorities for the side this January.

The club had a brilliant January last season where they signed Aleksandar Mitrovic, Matt Targett and Cyrus Christie to boost their charge for promotion and Tony Khan and the recruitment team will be hoping to replicate that success when the window opens in nine days time.

And the funds will be there for Fulham, with Khan senior promising in a Christmas message to fans to back Ranieri in January.

He said: "Our London derby on January 1st at Arsenal will then keep us close to SW6 as we welcome the challenge and opportunity of a new year under Claudio Ranieri, who will receive my support during the January transfer window as we aim to improve our position in the table."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/shahid-khan-promises-back-fulham-15589914

WhiteJC

Paul Merson's predictions: Wins for Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal
Watch Fulham vs Wolves, Brighton vs Arsenal, Watford vs Chelsea and Southampton vs West Ham all on Sky Sports Premier League.

Paul Merson is back with his Boxing Day Premier League predictions as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer takes charge of his first home game as Man Utd's caretaker boss.

As ever, there is a bumper fixture list to get stuck into, including three live games on Sky Sports Premier League, starting at lunchtime with struggling Fulham's home clash with mid-table Wolves.

Fulham vs Wolves, Wednesday 12.30pm, live on Sky Sports Premier League

I watched Fulham on Saturday and they looked quite solid and you would never have guessed they have let in a million goals already this season. They defended really well, while Wolves got well beat by Liverpool, so I am going to go for a must-win Fulham victory.

I just think that they have got to win this game, so they will have a lot more intensity than Wolves.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-1 (10/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/15205/11590127/paul-mersons-predictions-wins-for-liverpool-man-city-man-utd-chelsea-spurs-and-arsenal

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Newcastle United vs. Fulham
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our post match show of the 0-0 draw for Fulham against Newcastle United. During the show, co-hosts Max Cohen, Yannis Tjanetis, and Craig Coben who was at the match, analyzed the key moments of this match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/12/23/18154032/cottage-talk-post-match-show-newcastle-united-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Why Aboubakar Kamara must keep Andre Schurrle out of the Fulham squad

Fulham's summer loan signing Andre Schurrle was reinstated to the starting lineup against Newcastle yesterday, yet failed to make any meaningful impact in the 0-0 draw.

Yet when Aboubakar Kamara replaced the German World Cup winner in the second half, Fulham finally were granted attacking danger and threatened the Newcastle defence.

Kamara must keep Schurrle out of the starting lineup in future matches, as the Frenchman offers far more than Schurrle in almost every department of the game.

Lacking any aggression, ability to hold onto the ball, and positional awareness, Schurrle was completely lost on the pitch at St. James' Park. For all of his experience and nous in goal-scoring situations, the attacker is simply a liability and a passenger in a relegation dogfight.

Away at Newcastle, Claudio Ranieri's plan was to sit back with a five-man defence and hit quickly on the counterattack. Schurrle could barely beat anyone on the pitch with his declining pace and was not ready to put in a challenge and win the ball back.

Kamara, despite his flaws, was a willing runner, added passion, and nearly won it late on for Fulham with a barnstorming solo run.

Aboubakar Kamara simply offers so much more for Fulham than Andre Schurrle can at the moment, and the Frenchman must be preferred over the German for the festive fixtures.

https://tbrfootball.com/why-aboubakar-kamara-must-keep-andre-schurrle-out-of-the-fulham-squad/

WhiteJC

Fulham signing this explosive 6ft 2in speed demon would turn out to be a fantastic investment

Why Dodi Lukebakio would be the perfect January signing for Fulham

Dodi Lukebakio was once again on target as Bundesliga relegation contenders Fortuna Dusseldorf put an end to Borussia Dortmund's unbeaten run with a 2-1 victory last week. The Belgium-born Congolese striker has been making a lot of noise in the German top-flight and has made eyeballs turn with his consistent impressive displays.

A product of Anderlecht's youth system, Lukebakio made his senior debut for his boyhood club in the 2015/16 season in the Jupiler Pro League. However, he spent time on loan at Ligue 1 club Toulouse and Belgian outfit Sporting Charleroi before making a permanent move to Watford in January last season.

Lukebakio made his Premier League debut for Watford last season against West Ham but the 21-year-old was loaned out to Bundesliga outfit Fortuna Dusseldorf at the start of the ongoing campaign. And the youngster has grabbed his opportunity with both hands, spearheading his team's attack and finding the net on a regular basis.

The Watford loanee has scored 7 goals in the Bundesliga so far, with the hat-trick in the 3-3 draw against Bayern Munich being the highlight of his fine start to the season. Lukebakio became the first player in the history of the Bundesliga to score three goals in a single game past Manuel Neuer.

Standing at 6ft 2in, Lukebakio is a versatile, powerful and explosive attacker whose primary traits are his blistering pace, lightning acceleration and silky dribbling skills. A left-footed attacker, Lukebakio is capable of playing as an inverted winger down the right where he likes to use his pace and trickery to cut inside and has a crack on goal. He can also play as a conventional winger down the left and as a centre-forward too.

The 21-year-old has the killer instincts of a centre-forward and can leave the defenders for dead with his unpredictable movement in the final third, creating space with sharp turns and allowing others to exploit the gaps.

He has good upper body strength and always keeps the defenders on their toes with his agility and athleticism. Furthermore, Lukebakio is a clinical finisher and rarely misses the mark in 1 vs 1 situations with the goalkeeper.

To put things into perspective, Fulham can strike gold if they can use their financial muscle to cut his loan spell short and sign him permanently in January. Lukebakio ticks all the boxes to provide cover and competition for someone like Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Fulham are currently going through a rebuilding phase under new manager Claudio Ranieri after the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic and the Cottagers need some fresh faces in January to help them in their bid for survival in the top-flight. In fact, they need in-form players who can hit the ground running instantly and Lukebakio is doing a similar job for relegation contenders Dusseldorf.

Fulham spent a fortune in the summer to make the headlines with the singings of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Andre Schurrle and Jean Michael Seri. However, the Cottagers find themselves at the bottom of the table 18 games into the season and they need a quick turnaround of fortunes to avoid the drop.

That said, Fulham should start keeping tabs on this in-form Bundesliga striker as he might help them in their bid for survival.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/12/24/fulham-signing-this-explosive-6ft-2in-speed-demon-would-turn-out-to-be-a-fantastic-investment/

WhiteJC

Fulham Vs Wolves Preview

Our Boxing Day opponents are proof positive that spending big doesn't automatically equal success in the Premier League.

There's so much more to Nuno and co's achievements than splashing the cash and the admiration inside and outside of Molineux is well deserved.

I'm ecstatic to be sitting 10th on Christmas Day and regardless of what happens in this game, if the second half of the season is anywhere near as good as the first we're in for a treat.

The result against Liverpool was a setback but as most seem to concur the performance offered encouragement.

Fulham

The Cottagers are bottom at Christmas and historically that's not a position you want to be occupying.

All is far from lost though. They're only 4 points from safety and undoubtedly possess more individual quality than those immediately above them in the table.

Claudio Ranieri has to address their defensive frailties sooner rather than later as 42 goals conceded in just 18 games is a recipe for relegation soup.

The Italian scored a big victory in his first game in charge against Southampton but has since collected just 2 points from his last 5 games.

A first cleansheet of the season and a decent point against Newcastle last time out should help build defensive confidence ahead of this one.

The home end
I lifted a few comments on a match thread on a popular Fulham forum:

wolves are far better than Newcastle, plus with our mini goal drought, I think it would be suicidal to abandon a defensive line up. It just needs a little tweaking imo.

Whilst our defence is not capable of keeping a clean sheet playing A flat back 4 I think we should stick to what worked against Newcastle. If and when we buy some players who hopefully will sure up the defence then we can look to attack again. Wolves are a very attack minded team and if we try to go toe to toe I feel we will concede easily and be left with nothing but a deflated team  and the same old posters moaning about Tony Khan, Seri and the sacking of Slav.

Post Newcastle, the more I think about it Wolves and Hudds are pretty much vital. We need to prove we have improved.

Wolves

Still not sure if Jota is fit to return, but this would be the team I'd pick if he is available.

Saiss was actually better than Neves against Liverpool but we might be more attack minded in this one, so I'd keep our star man in the first eleven.

Gibbs-White and Jota would give us greater intent on the final third, which was the only thing lacking against Liverpool.

Cav is overdue a start so I wouldn't be disappointed to see his name on the team sheet on Wednesday in the event Jota doesn't feature.

http://www.wolvesblog.com/12750/fulham-vs-wolves-preview-8

WhiteJC

Why this Premier League winner is the man to answer to Fulham's right-back woes

Why Danny Simpson would be a fantastic signing for Fulham in January

According to the Daily Mail, Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri is keen to bolster his defensive options in January and has set his sights on Leicester City's Danny Simpson.

Ranieri and Simpson worked together at Leicester City and won the Premier League title in 2015-16. Reports claim that the Foxes are likely to place the 31-year-old right-back on the transfer list in January but the long-term injury to Daniel Amartey might force them to offer the veteran a new deal.

Simpson was a key member of Leicester City's Premier League winning squad in 2015/16 and was an influential figure at the back alongside Robert Huth and Christian Fuchs. He was one of the first names on the team sheet until last season but the arrival of Portuguese international Ricardo Pereira in the summer has pushed him down the pecking order.

The 31-year-old's involvement has been limited to only a solitary start in the Premier League this term. Simpson put in a solid shift at the back in the penalty shootout defeat at the hands of Manchester City in the quarterfinals of the Carabao Cup, keeping Brahim Diaz and Raheem Sterling at bay.

His solid display against a high-quality opposition showed that there are no chinks in his armour despite being on the other side of 30.

A youth product of Manchester United, Simpson made only 3 appearances for the Red Devils and spent time on loan at Disneyland, Ipswich Town, Royal Antwerp and Newcastle before being released by his boyhood club in 2010.

He played in the Europa League for Newcastle and had a brief stint with QPR before joining Leicester City. Simpson has made 128 appearances for the Foxes over the course of 4 seasons.

Simpson's style of play is probably a flow back to a bygone era. The dynamism of the modern game demands the full-backs to provide an attacking outlet down the flanks but the veteran is more of an old-school right-back who likes to sit back and defend.

Simpson makes up for his lack of attacking prowess with his superior game reading ability at the back, which allows him to break up the play with crucial tackles and interceptions. He is not particularly known for his tackling but he is a defender with high levels of concentration and composure, and rarely dives into reckless challenges.

His sound positional sense as a full-back means that he is rarely caught out of position. In fact, he averaged 1.7 tackles, 3.1 interceptions and 4.2 clearances per game when Leicester won the Premier League.

To put things into perspective, he would be a fantastic signing for relegation contenders Fulham. The Cottagers have shipped goals at an alarming rate this season, having conceded 42 already and have a dismal goal difference of -26.

Much of Fulham's woes this season has been down to their porous and vulnerable defence. While neither Jokanovic nor Ranieri has been able to stick to a settled pairing at the heart of the defence due to the inconsistent performances of Denis Odoi, Maxime Le Marchand, Tim Ream and Alfie Mawson, the full-backs deserve a fair share of the blame.

Right-back Cyrus Christie has had a torrid time this season so far and his lack of awareness at the back has allowed the opposition plenty of joy down the flanks. Manchester United loanee Timothy Fosu-Mensah did a decent job on the right at the start of the season but Fulham have been in trouble ever since he got injured.

That said, Fulham are in desperate need of a right-back and an experienced customer like Danny Simpson can be the ideal man to answer Ranieri's prayers.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/12/24/why-this-premier-league-winner-is-the-man-to-answer-to-fulhams-right-back-woes/

WhiteJC

Rafa Benitez believes it will be 'a miracle' if Newcastle stay up even if Mike Ashley opens his cheque book

Rafa Benitez believes damage is already done after under-investment
    Newcastle drew 0-0 at home to Fulham in an uninspiring contest
    They were the first Premier League side not to score against Fulham this season

Rafa Benitez says it will be a miracle for Newcastle United to survive - even if Mike Ashley opens his cheque book next month.

The Magpies boss believes the damage is already done after a summer of under-investment, and his mood in the wake of Saturday's sour stalemate with Fulham was the lowest it has been all season.

He even refused to give a straight answer when asked if he was committed to the cause for the remainder of the campaign, preferring to say: 'My focus now is trying to find the right team to play Liverpool (on Boxing Day) and try to get three points.'

Newcastle are five points clear of danger, but Benitez repeatedly used the word 'miracle' when it came to their chances of staying in the Premier League.

'We have to be realistic and understand we will be in the bottom half for the whole season and, if we can be better than three teams, it will be another miracle,' he said, to the surprise of those present.

'It would be a miracle to stay up, yes. A game like that is confirmation of what I know. Even if we strengthen in January it will be a miracle if we stay up.'

Surely a manager of Benitez's calibre is better than settling for a year-on-year scrap? 'I like the challenge and we will try to do our best,' he said.

'When you lose or cannot win, you cannot enjoy it, but I know it is my job and I have to be sure I make the right decisions all the time.'

Very few enjoyed this game, especially Benitez. He is irked by the assumption that Newcastle should beat Fulham, a team who spent £100million.

It was as if the Spaniard felt vindicated by a performance so dire that they failed to have a shot on target against the division's worst defence.

They could have lost it late on when Jamaal Lascelles appeared to block Aleksandar Mitrovic's shot with his elbow before the home skipper made a last-ditch tackle to deny Aboubakar Kamara in the dying seconds.

This was Fulham's first clean sheet of the season, and defender Alfie Mawson said: 'There's nothing wrong with a bit of nastiness. Sometimes you've got to suck that up, just got to realise that you don't have to play pretty football all the time.

'Fair play to Fulham last year, we got promoted playing lovely football, but this is a totally different league, a totally different animal and I think we've started to realise and appreciate that a bit more.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6525417/Newcastle-0-0-Fulham-Benitez-says-miracle-stay-up.html

WhiteJC

Chelsea hoping to secure January agreement as Fulham plot transfer raid

CHELSEA bosses will be hoping to tie down David Luiz to a new deal while shipping out-of-favour Gary Cahill on to Fulham.

That is the prediction of Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth.

Having been shunned by Antonio Conte last season, Luiz has found new life at Stamford Bridge under Maurizio Sarri, starting all but one Premier League game this term.

And speaking on the latest episode of the Transfer Talk podcast, Sheth revealed he expects Luiz to stay in west London, while he admits he can see a move away for Cahill, Cesc Fabregas or Olivier Giroud.

"Sarri has been picking him every single week and I just can't see how they would release someone like David Luiz.

"The others? You could say there's a possibility but how much money would the likes of Cahill, Fabregas and Giroud generate given they are all above 30?

"Add to that, we know about the policy about the club at Chelsea not offering more than one-year contracts to those players who are over 30.

"As far as Luiz is concerned, he's hopeful the club can reach an agreement to stay beyond this season but again that policy of only offering one-year contracts to players over 30 could prove to be a sticking point.

"He was asked to which he would accept a one-year extension - 'we're still talking, let's see, let's see what the future brings, I love this club, everyone knows that I want to stay'.

"Sarri has already said aside of Luiz, he wants Fabregas to stay but he admits this will be very, very difficult to keep both of them at the club.

"Luiz, I would say if I was to put money on now which I'm not, I would say he would stay. Fabregas isn't getting in the team, they've got a lot of midfielders in that area at the moment, and three or four are getting picked ahead of him.

"Whether Fabregas would want to spend the rest of the season on the bench, I don't know. Fabregas is a possibility even though Sarri does want him to stay."

Club captain Cahill has seen his pitch time limited to Europa League and Carabao Cup fixtures, prompting talk of a move away from the Blues after an eight year spell.

And Sheth believes relegation battlers Fulham are a potential destination due to their defensive issues, currently leading the Premier League's goals conceded chart.

"Cahill is an interesting one. He hasn't got in the team at all. He's played in Europa League and the League Cup as well," Sheth added.

"He's over 30 years old, obviously it looks like he's not in Sarri's plans. Sarri hasn't really spoken much about Cahill, about saying 'yes I want him to stay' and Fulham, we're told, are interested.

"It could be a good match that one given Fulham's defensive problems. An experienced head like Gary Cahill going to Craven Cottage, it could be the difference between Fulham in the Premier League and out of the Championship."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/749814/Chelsea-transfer-news-Fulham-David-Luiz-Gary-Cahill-Premier-League?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-football+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29