more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (29/12/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 28, 2018, 10:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tottenham should offload unwanted Mousa Dembele to former club Fulham

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Mousa Dembele has been deemed surplus to requirements and will be allowed to leave in January, according to the Daily Mail.

Spurs should offload the Belgian to Fulham and set up a reunion with Dembele's former club.

After suffering an ankle injury in the fall, Dembele has been missing from action, and the Daily Mail reported he is looking for a "new challenge."

A return to the club that brought him to England would present exactly that, as the defensive midfielder would slot right into Claudio Ranieri's side and experience a full-fledged relegation dogfight for the first time.

Fulham's awful defensive record has been caused largely by a lack of midfield cover in front of the backline, with the defence often left exposed and vulnerable.

The addition of Dembele, one of the league's best at winning back the ball and surging forward in attack, would revamp the Whites midfield and shore up their leaky rearguard.

The 31-year-old is a fan favourite at Craven Cottage, possesses copious Premier League experience, and would slot in seamlessly in Ranieri's system — all excellent indicators that Dembele would be a success at Fulham.

Tottenham would do well to sell Mousa Dembele to Fulham in January, gaining compensation for an unwanted player whose contract runs out in the summer.

https://tbrfootball.com/tottenham-should-offload-unwanted-mousa-dembele-to-former-club-fulham/

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Tickets

Back the boys this Saturday as Fulham go head-to-head with Huddersfield Town at Craven Cottage, kick-off 3pm.

Bring your support to SW6 for one final time in 2018, as Claudio Ranieri's side look to avenge the away defeat suffered against the Terriers earlier in the season.

Tickets for the match on sale now and available online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Details of the Club's Ticket Office and Stadium Store opening hours across the festive period can be found here.

COYW!

Fulham v Huddersfield Town - Saturday 29th December, 3pm. Craven Cottage.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/december/28/huddersfield-tickets

WhiteJC

January transfer window 2019: When it opens, when it closes, deadline day details and more

All the vital information on the Premier League winter transfer window

Christmas is over and attentions have turned to the new year, more specifically the opening of the January transfer window.

Some managers love the idea of being handed another chance to bolster their respective squads, while others don't welcome the disruption that the window brings.

With a host of managerial changes across the past month, it would be a major surprise if the likes of Claudio Ranieri, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer aren't active throughout the first month of the new year.

But what of current Premier League leaders Liverpool? Will Jurgen Klopp dip into market to bolster his squad to ensure they see out their title bid.

Then there's the challenging pack such as Tottenham Hotspur - who didn't spend a single penny in the summer - and Manchester City. Could Mauricio Pochettino and Pep Guardiola be tempted?

Arsenal and Unai Emery have been rocked by a number of injuries of late, so expect them to be busy while West Ham United are expected to conclude a deal for Samir Nasri and Crystal Palace are being linked with a move for a striker.

With that said, here are all the important details with regards to the January transfer window 2019.

When does the January transfer window open?

The transfer window opens on Tuesday January 1 at precisely 00:01.

When does the January transfer window close?

The transfer window closes on January 31 at 11pm in the UK (midnight in Europe), although some deals can be completed after the deadline as long as all the necessary paperwork is submitted beforehand.

Will any Premier League games be affected by deadline day?

No. Unlike the past two years there are no games scheduled for deadline day as it falls on a Thursday, therefore there will be no repeat of scenes like Chelsea pulling off a double deal for Olivier Giroud and Emerson Palmieri just hours before facing Bournemouth.

Will there be a loan window?

With the restructuring of the window in the summer, the FA agreed to scrap the period for emergency loan deals.

So, any loan deals must be completed by the end of the normal transfer window on January 31.

How can you keep up to date with all the January transfers?

It is all set to be one of the most exciting transfer windows ever, so make sure you don't miss a thing.

We will be running a live blog every day on football.london to ensure you won't miss a transfer or loan deal right up to deadline day.

https://www.football.london/premier-league/january-transfer-window-2019-news-15603405

WhiteJC

Danny Simpson comments on future amid Newcastle, Fulham speculation

Newcastle United and Fulham are reportedly interested in signing in Leicester City defender Danny Simpson in the January transfer window.

Reported Newcastle United and Fulham target Danny Simpson has suggested to The Daily Mail that he wants to stay at Leicester City.

Simpson is out of contract at Leicester at the end of his contract, and the 31-year-old defender has said that the Foxes have yet to open talks regarding a new deal.

According to a report in The Daily Mail earlier this month, Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri wants to sign the former Manchester United and Newcastle United right-back in the January transfer window.

Ranieri worked with Ranieri at Leicester and reportedly wants him at London club Fulham.

The Daily Mail has also claimed that Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez wants Simpson at St. James' Park, but the 31-year-old right-back - who earns £45,000 per week as salary, according to Spotrac.com - has suggested that he wants to stay at Leicester.

Simpson told The Daily Mail: "I've been here a pretty long time so I'm sure they will let me know what my options are sooner rather than later.

"I love it here. I'm happy at the club, the fans, everything. There are lads who have left this place who miss it. It's a special dressing room. It would make it difficult to move, of course."

Leicester City stay?

Simpson has played just 104 minutes in the Premier League for Leicester so far this season, according to WhoScored, but it makes more sense for the right-back to stay the King Power Stadium until the end of the season.

After all, as a free agent next summer, he will have a lot of clubs to choose from and will also be able to demand more wages.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/12/28/danny-simpson-comments-on-future-amid-newcastle-fulham-speculati/

WhiteJC

Rafa Benitez wants to swap Jonjo Shelvey for Fulham star according to new media claim

A media 'exclusive' claims Newcastle want to swap Jonjo Shelvey for Tom Cairney in January.

An interesting new transfer tale reports that Newcastle and Fulham could be set to swap Jonjo Shelvey and Tom Cairney.

Rafa Benitez' interest in the Fulham midfielder started two years ago when it was widely reported he wanted to sign the Scottish international in January 2017, to help make sure of promotion and start building for a likely return to the Premier League.

Rafa of course was blocked by Mike Ashley from making a single signing in that window and expressed his anger and frustration at the end of January 2017, telling the media that e didn't know why none of the targets he had given to Ashley's people had been signed.

Ongoing interest was reported and in the summer 2017 transfer window it was even claimed Newcastle had seen a £20m offer rejected for Tom Cairney.

That was a little difficult to believe, the claim of a £20m offer and not the fact Fulham had rejected it. Their ambitious owners were determined to keep the midfielder who had scored 13 goals and got 10 assists in 2016/17.

He had issues with injuries last season but still played a key role in Fulham's promotion, scoring six and getting five assists.

This season though he has found life tougher in the Premier League, as indeed the whole Fulham team have, Tom Cairney managing no goals and only one assist.

The 'exclusive' has been published by The Sun which will instantly lead to scepticism by many but regardless of the source, this type of deal wouldn't be the biggest surprise if it did happen.

Claudio Ranieri is said not to see Cairney as a first team choice and dropped him on Boxing Day, after the midfielder had played the first 82 minutes at St James Park in the goalless draw.

rom the Newcastle side of things, Jonjo Shelvey made seven starts early in the season without NUFC winning any of them, then with the game goalless he was subbed with an injury against Watford. Ki came on and helped Newcastle to three wins in a row and when Shelvey returned to fitness at the end of November, he was put on the bench three times before picking up a thigh injury.

The newspaper report says that Rafa Benitez is looking for a number 10 and with cash unlikely to made available for the likes of Miguel Almiron, trading in Newcastle's biggest earner for Tom Cairney who can play that position, is an attractive alternative.

Newcastle really struggle for goals, mobility and creativity in those forward positions, with Ayoze Perez so poor this season.

Tom Cairney confirmed Newcastle's interest last December (see below) and he turns 28 in January, with Shelvey then turning 27 in February, so probably little difference in the valuations or even potentially Rafa Benitez/Mike Ashley getting a few quid as a balancing payment in any swap deal.

As with all transfer stories, whatever the source, you are automatically sceptical but something along these lines does sound more viable than your typical NUFC transfer tale. Rafa Benitez has found to his cost that if he sells players for significant money, such as Merino (£10m) and Mitrovic (£22m rising to £27m), there is no guarantee of that kind of money then being made available for replacements (Ki £0 and Rondon loan).

So on the basis of signing Miguel Almiron for £24m looking about as likely as Mike Ashley selling NUFC, Rafa Benitez will yet again be looking at loans, frees, bargains and potentially, swap deals.

Tom Cairney speaking to the Evening Standard – 8 December 2017:

"I love playing football here (at Fulham).

"That is what I want to do.

"I feel a responsibility to Fulham. It's been great ever since I arrived.

"I enjoy playing football, I really enjoy playing it at the Cottage and long may it continue.

"It's a massive accolade that Rafa Benitez wants me.

"It's a pat on the back to myself I guess, to know that other managers appreciate what I'm doing.

"You can't put a price on happiness.

"Last season I was extremely happy on and off the pitch and that's when you play your best football.

"I wanted to show my happiness to the fans, let them know that I want to be here and try to take Fulham forward."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/12/rafa-benitez-wants-to-swap-jonjo-shelvey-for-fulham-star-according-to-new-media-claim-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Huddersfield Town
SAT 29 Dec 2018   Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa has missed three matches through suspension and injury

TEAM NEWS

Midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa is Fulham's only injury concern, but he could return from an ankle problem to face Arsenal on New Year's Day.

In an otherwise fully-fit squad, manager Claudio Ranieri is expected to pick only one of Ryan Sessegnon or Andre Schurrle in attack.

Huddersfield Town have no new injury concerns but a raft of long-term absentees remain out.

Aaron Mooy, Tommy Smith and Abdelhamid Sabiri are among those still sidelined.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@martfisher1: Even though we've only just reached the halfway stage of the season, I don't think it's too early to describe this game as a relegation six-pointer.

However, locked in the bottom two with just two wins each, it's difficult to see an escape route for either side.

Perhaps Fulham look slightly better equipped, having managing two successive draws as Claudio Ranieri addresses their leaky defence.

After six defeats in a row it's difficult to offer any hope for Huddersfield. They've only scored 12 goals all season and, with star player Aaron Mooy missing through injury, the future looks bleak.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri on Ryan Sessegnon: "He needs more experience and to play more. We need to look at what happens when he's on the bench because he's a very good player.

"He has to improve his strength because when there's a tackle, he's not so strong. He must understand this and be a little more aggressive. He's young, but is very good."

Huddersfield head coach David Wagner: "Having the games come so quickly gives us more chances to turn this run around.

"We're in a very busy period and we're the only ones who can improve our situation. Nobody gives you a present in the Premier League.

"I don't have to tell any lies. Anybody who has seen our games praises our performances but we don't put pressure on opponents by scoring goals."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

This will be another close one, but I am expecting Fulham to come out on top.

Prediction: 2-0

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

This is the first top-flight meeting at Craven Cottage between these sides since 1952, with Fulham having never lost to Huddersfield at home in this division (W2, D1).
    Huddersfield's 1-0 win in the reverse fixture in November was their first victory in 12 league matches against Fulham (D4, L7).
    Fulham have lost just one of their last 10 home league games against Huddersfield, winning five and drawing four.

Fulham

Fulham's record of two wins, five draws and 12 defeats is their worst after 19 matches of a league season.
    Their tally of 11 points is five fewer than at the halfway stage of their most recent Premier League campaign in 2013-14.
    Fulham have conceded in all but one of their last 23 Premier League fixtures.
    They have won just once in 16 Premier League matches (D5, L10)
    However, under Claudio Ranieri they have picked up six points in seven league outings, having earned just five in the previous 12.
    Fulham have failed to score in an unrivalled nine Premier League games this season, and have kept the fewest clean sheets (just one).

Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield are only the fourth team in Premier League history to lose six matches in one calendar month.
    Huddersfield's six successive losses is their worst league sequence since also losing six in a row in 1992.
    They could match the club record of seven successive league defeats, last set in 1955.
    The Terriers have scored 12 goals in 19 league games this season, fewer than any other team.
    They have won only one of their eight away Premier League games this season, keeping one clean sheet.
    Huddersfield are currently bottom of the Premier League with 10 points. At this stage last season, they were 11th with 22 points.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46656880

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Huddersfield preview: Premier League bottom two clash at Craven Cottage
Watch highlights on the Sky Sports App from 5.15pm on Saturday

The Premier League's bottom two clubs - Fulham and Huddersfield - go head to head on Saturday as they look to pull away from the relegation places.

A 1-1 draw with Wolves on Boxing Day lifted Fulham off the foot of the table, while Huddersfield were beaten 3-1 by Manchester United at Old Trafford to drop to 20th place.

Three points for either side at Craven Cottage could lift them into 18th, and Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri has revealed Ryan Sessegnon is challenging Andre Schurrle for a spot in the side.

"It's important that the coach has the choice to change some players and give a chance to everybody," Ranieri said.

"It's not a shame, but it's important for me to choose. Maybe we can choose at the beginning Sessegnon and then Schurrle and the rest of the team is the same. Both players impress me as Schurrle is experienced and Sessegnon is fresh."

Meanwhile, Huddersfield manager David Wagner says only his players can get the club out of their current predicament.

"Obviously if you concede six defeats in a row and you have performed on a very good level, it is not the best period," he said.

"On the other hand, the fixtures come thick and fast and this is what we are looking forward to.

"The only one who can turn it is us. No one will give us any presents. In football and in life, you have to work for it.

"We're in a very busy period and we're the only ones who can improve our situation."

Team news

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa is the only absentee for Fulham as he recovers from an ankle injury but he could return in time to face Arsenal on New Year's Day.

Ranieri, otherwise, has a fully-fit squad from which to select from for the relegation showdown at Craven Cottage.

As for the visitors, Wagner has no new injury worries to contend with.

However, the Terriers remain without long-term absentees Aaron Mooy, Tommy Smith and Abdelhamid Sabiri.

Opta stats

Fulham have yet to lose a top-flight home game against Huddersfield (W2 D1), although this is the first such meeting since April 1952.

Fulham have lost just one of their last 10 home league games against Huddersfield, winning five and drawing four.

Fulham and Huddersfield were the bottom two when they met back in October - this will be the first Premier League fixture to be played twice in the same season with both sides occupying the bottom two spaces since Wolves vs West Ham in 2010-11.

Fulham have failed to score in more Premier League games this season (9) and kept fewer clean sheets (1) than any other side in the competition.

Huddersfield have lost all six of their Premier League games in December this year - the only side to lose seven games in a single calendar month in the competition were Leicester in April 2001 (W0 D0 L7).

After scoring in four of his first six Premier League games for Fulham (5 goals in total), Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored in just one of his last 13, failing to net in his last six.

Merson's prediction

I thought Fulham did really well against Wolves. I have watched them a few times recently and I think they are getting better. They deserved to win against Wolves and against Newcastle. I don't see how Huddersfield will live with Aleksandar Mitrovic - he was on fire against Wolves, but just couldn't score. This is a must-win game for both of these. To come away from this with a draw is no good for either side. This will be a really good game.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-0 (8/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-huddsfld/preview/390950

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Ranieri backs Mitrovic to end goal drought

Mitrovic has failed to score in his last six matches.

Claudio Ranieri admits that "goals are life" for a striker but is backing Fulham marksman Aleksandar Mitrovic to end his drought imminently.

Mitrovic has been on target seven times in the Cottagers' return to the Premier League but has failed to hit the target for the last six matches.

The 24-year-old Serbian was outstanding in the 1-1 Boxing Day draw with Wolves but missed several fine chances.

His next assignment is to find the net in Saturday's crucial relegation showdown against Huddersfield at Craven Cottage and Ranieri insists he is ready to start firing again.

"Aleksandar's confidence is good. Of course for a goalscorer, goals are life. But he's feeling positive," the Italian said.

"He played very well against Wolves. He was unlucky and that's the life of a striker – some days momentum goes well and on others its worse. He's ready to start scoring again.

"I want the team always to be together and he made a very good sacrifice. He closed the space and was ready to counter attack.

"It's important that the team continues to create the chances. He didn't make mistakes against Wolves, he just had bad luck."

Fulham have stitched together successive draws against Newcastle and Wolves to climb off the foot of the table, but Ranieri knows that Huddersfield is the club's critical fixture this Christmas.

"Of course we have to win, but this is a game that Huddersfield must also win. As a match it's crucial for us and for them," he said.

"The atmosphere will be fantastic, we're playing at home and we hope to give a good present to our fans.

"We're off the bottom just by one point. It's a boost but the important boost is to be like that for the whole season."

Fulham's only absentee is ankle-injury victim Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Ranieri will persist with the five-man defence that has solidified his team.

"I didn't have a friendly match to get to know all my players. I started with four at the back, but we conceded too many chances," he said.

"I tried with the five at Newcastle and thought maybe this is good for us. But of course this shape is not dogmatic.

"We can change and it's good when you can change and the players understand we can change and why. The players are intelligent and are adapting to the situation very well."

http://sport.bt.com/news/fulham-boss-ranieri-backs-mitrovic-to-end-goal-drought-S11364320399394

WhiteJC

Fulham winger know he 'needs to be better' to play, believes club 'on the right path'

Arriving from SC Bastia in July 2016, Floyd Ayité, despite a good first season at Fulham, has seen his time on the pitch at Craven Cottage reduced considerably for the current campaign.

Hindered by a few injury niggles last year, the 30-year-old started the season on the sidelines, and has only made seven appearances in the Premier League so far, all from the bench.

Speaking to Sud-Ouest in France, Ayité, who came through Bordeaux's academy, was asked about his situation at Craven Cottage, which wasn't helped by the arrival of André Schürrle over the summer.

He said: "I can't blame the fact I'm playing less on a player arriving. It's not appropriate. It's a different level, a different league, players arrive, others leave, the manager makes his choices. I'm a part of the squad, I work while waiting for my chance.

"If I want to be on the pitch, I need to be better than the ones already on it, knowing the manager makes his choices based on how he wants to play against the next team and that we some fit his philosophy more than others".

With Fulham currently 19th in the Premier League, there's a lot of hard work ahead for Claudio Ranieri's men to turn things around, but Ayité believes the club is close to doing so.

He continued: "We're not playing badly, but we're lacking that little bit of luck that we need to go find, and to do that, we can't give up, we need to fight. We're on the right path, it'll change".

Since arriving at Fulham, Ayité has made 73 appearances in all competitions, scored 13 goals and picked up 11 assists.

His only start this season came in a 3-1 win over Millwall in the Carabao Cup, which the Cottagers won 3-1, during which he also produced an assist for the second goal, setting up Luca de la Torre.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-winger-know-needs-better-play-believes-club-right-path/

WhiteJC

FLO: WE HAVE TO BE ON OUR BEST

Hadergjonaj previews trip to Fulham

- Florent Hadergjonaj speaks ahead of Saturday's Premier League game
- Town travel to West London to face Fulham
- Listen to the full interview on #HTTV below

Florent Hadergjonaj reflected on 2018 with #HTTV in preview of Huddersfield Town's final game of the calendar year in West London taking on Fulham.

"For me, it has been a big positive year for sure, to adapt to a Premier League team" explained Hadergjonaj.

"At the end we stayed up, for me this was a big achievement for every one of us; for the whole town and the whole club, this was something very special.

"We've had some strong games at the beginning of this season and we've played very well the last two months, but the results haven't been on our side. I hope we can finish this year with a win against Fulham."

The full-back played in centre-midfield for the first time at Old Trafford last season, and repeated the feat in Saturday's defeat to Manchester United.

"Last season was a big surprise for me. This season I tried my best, I told the Manager that I want to help my teammates; it doesn't matter which position. He wants to let me play and I just want to help the team, last season I gave my best and this season also the same.

"I think we played well for an away game against a big team like Man Utd. It wasn't something new for me, but it was something special to play as a number six at Old Trafford; it's always special. In the end the result was unlucky for us, but I think we tried our best."

Town travel to face Fulham in Saturday's Premier League game and Hadergjonaj expects a different challenge to the one that Town came up against during the 1-0 win at the John Smith's Stadium in November.

"We beat them at home and played very well. They've changed their manager and maybe changed their mind on how they want to play. It's not a completely different team, they have the same players, maybe not the same idea but the same players.

"We have to be on our best to do our game plan with what the Manager will tell us to take the three points away."

https://www.htafc.com/news/2018/december/flo-pre-fulham-a/

WhiteJC

Rafael Benítez: no chance of Newcastle selling Jonjo Shelvey in January
• It has been suggested Fulham want to sign midfielder
• Benítez says players understand his 'miracle' comment

Rafael Benítez has said there is "no chance" of Newcastle selling Jonjo Shelvey to Fulham or anyone else during the impending transfer window.

It has been suggested that Claudio Ranieri is keen to transport Shelvey to Craven Cottage with Tom Cairney – a player admired by Benítez – moving in the opposite direction but that idea has now been quashed.

Newcastle's manager shook his head when asked whether he would consider selling Shelvey, scheduled to return from injury at Watford on Saturday. "No, no chance," said Benítez, breaking a self-imposed vow of silence regarding transfer activity. "Jonjo is an important player for us. Him and Ki Sung-yueng [absent at the Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates with South Korea] can technically pass the ball well and keep it, they give confidence to the rest of the team. I hope Jonjo will be as important to us for the rest of the season as he was last year."

Although Benítez declined to discuss most transfer activity he did make one other exception to explain his goalkeeping situation. His words will disappoint the Championship leaders, Leeds United, who are keen to sign Karl Darlow, currently competing with Freddie Woodman as first-choice understudy to Martin Dubravka at St James' Park.

"I've decided not to talk about the transfer market ... but we are not selling players," Benítez said. "There is only Rob Elliot [the fourth-choice goalkeeper] in the market and that's because we have too many goalkeepers."

After last Saturday's 0-0 draw at home to Fulham the Spaniard sparked headlines with a declaration it would be "a miracle" if Newcastle finished above the bottom three and he was not softening that stance.

"Yeah," he said, when asked whether he stood by his comments. "I have had the conversation with the players and they do understand what is going on. We have to be really concentrated and focused every game. We cannot make mistakes. If we make mistakes we can lose against anyone ... Do I have confidence we can do it [stay up]? Yes. But to do it will be because everything is right. It will be a miracle."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/28/rafael-benitez-newcastle-jonjo-shelvey-not-for-sale

WhiteJC

Ranieri would surely boost Fulham's chances of survival by signing this Premier League winner to solve leaky defence in January – Agreed?

Danny Simpson could be the one to solve Fulham's defensive issues

Like many players, including the likes of Aaron Ramsey, Cesc Fabregas and Adrien Rabiot among others, Leicester City's Danny Simpson will also be out of contract next summer. The Premier League winner has struggled to make an impact under Claude Puel, making just two League appearances this season. To make things worse, the 31-year-old has been demoted to the Premier League 2 with the U23s, making three appearances for them.

He has been Puel's main choice in the cup competitions, making three appearances which include the 1-1 draw against Manchester City. But as mentioned above, the Manchester United youth academy star's contract is set to run out of contract and thus, the Foxes should recoup some of the money they paid for him four years ago.

With Ricardo Pereira's arrival from FC Porto over the summer, the 31-year-old has lost his place in the first team with the Portuguese international adjusting brilliantly. However, Daily Mail has revealed that Fulham and former manager Claudio Ranieri wants to bring him over to Craven Cottage. Will a move be the best thing for the 31-year-old?

With Ranieri looking to patch up Fulham's leaky defence that has managed to concede a massive 43 goals in just 19 games, the report further adds that the former Leicester City boss believes that Simpson could be a viable option. However, Daily Mail also claims that the right-back could be on his way back to St James' Park, with Newcastle also interested in a potential move.

The question, however, is can Danny Simpson fix Fulham's leaky defence or will he just be a short-term solution? At 31, Simpson isn't going to get any younger and like all footballers, age will catch up with him and he'll lose his athleticism, which is what makes him a solid right-back. For Fulham, at best, the 31-year-old will offer some experience as a right-back and a potential rotation helper as the season becomes more congested but that's all.

What the Cottagers need is a bonafide centre-back – someone who can rule their defensive line for years to come and stop them from conceding more goals this season. If they can do that and find the net more often, maybe they'll live to fight another year in the Premier League.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2018/12/28/ranieri-would-surely-boost-fulhams-chances-of-survival-by-signing-this-premier-league-winner-to-solve-leaky-defence-in-january-agreed/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Match Preview: Three Keys To Victory For Fulham Against Huddersfield Town
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our preview of the upcoming match for Fulham against Huddersfield Town. During the show, co-host Mike Gregg shared his three keys to a victory for Fulham, along with his prediction for the match.

However, to start the show, we discussed several topics in the Cottage Talk Roundtable, which included the formation change, the Tom Cairney speculation, and a comparison of Fulham'srelegation battle half way through this season, compared to two other seasons.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/12/28/18159207/cottage-talk-match-preview-three-keys-to-victory-for-fulham-against-huddersfield-town

WhiteJC

Swapping captain Cairney for Newcastle's Shelvey would spell disaster for Fulham

Fulham would be the losers if they went ahead with their proposed swap deal to bring Jonjo Shelvey to Craven Cottage, while allowing skipper Tom Cairney to go the other way.

(Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri wants to swap his captain Tom Cairney for Newcastle midfielder Jonjo Shelvey during the January transfer window, according to the Sun.

The Italian has moved away from the passing style that suited Cairney so much and reportedly wants a new midfield dictator next month.

Ranieri wants Shelvey to be that man and apparently hopes a deal can be done with Rafa Benitez, who has made bids for Cairney in the past.

Shelvey has always seemed at odds with Benitez's disciplined approach, although it is hard to see how he would fare much better because Ranieri's style is similarly reactive and strict.

But Fulham have ripped apart the identity that got them into the Premier League – their intricate gameplan has been replaced by a counter attacking style – and selling their promotion-winning captain would be another huge step in that direction.

Obviously short-term change was needed to stop the flow of goals but Fulham are in danger of tearing apart the years of good work that got them back into the top flight.

Cairney is a popular figure in the dressing room, not to mention a classy operator on the pitch, who clearly absolutely loves the club.

Fulham would be getting the raw end of the deal if this swap goes ahead and it would only serve to push them even closer to the drop.

https://tbrfootball.com/swapping-captain-cairney-for-newcastles-shelvey-would-spell-disaster-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham forward talks up alleged Cottagers target, club watched 22-year-old last month

Back in September, we covered a story in Italy that claimed Fulham were among the interested parties looking at Bordeaux's François Kamano.

Alongside Newcastle, the Cottagers were said to be impressed by the Guinea international, and this was backed up a month and a bit later when both clubs sent scouts to watch the Ligue 1 side in early November.

Kamano has enjoyed a strong first half to the season, scoring 11 goals in 29 appearances from the wing, and it made sense that clubs like the Magpies and Fulham would be keeping an eye on him.

One man who knows the 22-year-old well is Floyd Ayité, currently contracted at Craven Cottage, who played alongside the Bordeaux star at Bastia between 2014-16 before the club were declared bankrupt and plummeted into the depths of French lower league football.

Speaking to Sud Ouest, the Fulham forward was asked about his former teammate.

He said: "I know Francois Kamano really well. When I saw him start, I knew he'd slowly find his feet in Ligue 1. He's got huge potential and he hasn't exploited it fully yet. He's still very young and is going to develop, and he'll do even better in the next few years."

It's worth pointing out that if the Bordeaux forward were to move to Fulham in January, even if that seems unlikely, he'd be direct competition for Ayité, who has already struggled for game time this season since the arrival of André Schürrle.

Our guess is Kamano will stay until the end of the season before moving, especially following the recent ownership change at the French side, but stranger things have happened in football in the past.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-forward-talks-alleged-cottagers-target-club-watched-22-year-old-last-month/

WhiteJC

West Ham seemingly in pole position to sign Whites star Cairney

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez has ruled out a swap deal involving Tom Cairney, potentially paving the way for West Ham to sign the Fulham star.

Scotland international Cairney, who was previously linked with both clubs, has not been a regular starter since Claudio Ranieri took over as Whites boss.

The Sun reported on Friday that Ranieri is looking for a deep-lying midfielder and would be willing to part with Cairney in exchange for Newcastle's Jonjo Shelvey.

The story also suggested that West Ham midfielder Pedro Obiang could be another option for a deal if Newcastle were not keen.

And Benitez made it clear at a press conference on Friday afternoon that they are not.

The Spaniard insisted that former Charlton man Shelvey is very much part of his plans and would not be leaving St James' Park during the January transfer window.

"No. No chance. He's an important player for us," said Benitez, whose team are involved in a battle to stay in the Premier League.

"Ki [Sung-yueng] and him are the players who technically can pass the ball well and keep it, they give confidence to the rest of the team.

"I hope he will be as important as he was last year."

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/west-ham/west-ham-seemingly-in-pole-position-to-sign-whites-star/

WhiteJC

'He's ready to start scoring again': Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri backs Aleksandar Mitrovic to end goal drought ahead of Huddersfield clash

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored seven goals in Fulham's return to the top flight
    But the 24-year-old Serbian has failed to hit the target for the last six matches
    He was outstanding in the 1-1 Boxing Day draw with Wolves but missed chances
    Next assignment is to find net in Saturday's crucial match against Huddersfield

Claudio Ranieri admits that 'goals are life' for a striker but is backing Fulham marksman Aleksandar Mitrovic to end his drought imminently.

Mitrovic has been on target seven times in the Cottagers' return to the Premier League but has failed to hit the target for the last six matches.

The 24-year-old Serbian was outstanding in the 1-1 Boxing Day draw with Wolves but missed several fine chances.

Alexsandar Mitrovic has failed to hit the target in the last six matches for Fulham

But Claudio Ranieri is backing him to end his goal drought imminently

His next assignment is to find the net in Saturday's crucial relegation showdown against Huddersfield at Craven Cottage and Ranieri insists he is ready to start firing again.

'Aleksandar's confidence is good. Of course for a goalscorer, goals are life. But he's feeling positive,' the Italian said.

'He played very well against Wolves. He was unlucky and that's the life of a striker - some days momentum goes well and on others its worse. He's ready to start scoring again.

'I want the team always to be together and he made a very good sacrifice. He closed the space and was ready to counter attack.

'It's important that the team continues to create the chances. He didn't make mistakes against Wolves, he just had bad luck.'

Fulham have stitched together successive draws against Newcastle and Wolves to climb off the foot of the table, but Ranieri knows that Huddersfield is the club's critical fixture this Christmas.

He was outstanding in the 1-1 Boxing Day draw with Wolves but missed several fine chances

'Of course we have to win, but this is a game that Huddersfield must also win. As a match it's crucial for us and for them,' he said.

'The atmosphere will be fantastic, we're playing at home and we hope to give a good present to our fans.

'We're off the bottom just by one point. It's a boost but the important boost is to be like that for the whole season.'

Fulham's only absentee is ankle-injury victim Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Ranieri will persist with the five-man defence that has solidified his team.

'I didn't have a friendly match to get to know all my players. I started with four at the back, but we conceded too many chances,' he said.

'I tried with the five at Newcastle and thought maybe this is good for us. But of course this shape is not dogmatic.

'We can change and it's good when you can change and the players understand we can change and why. The players are intelligent and are adapting to the situation very well.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6536693/Fulham-manager-Claudio-Ranieri-backs-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-end-goal-drought.html

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 20 vs. Huddersfield Town
It's a Battle for the Bottom of the Table!

The last time we were at Craven Cottage, Fulham suffered a mighty draw, because a victory was truly on their sights. Yes, Wolves absolutely dominated the second half and the overall underlying numbers as a result, but the home team had an opportunity to get themselves in a great start to stave off relegation.

Still, only four points separate 17th place Cardiff and 19th place Fulham and three Premier League clubs also have a goal differential of -20 or worse. Opportunities are there for Claudio Ranieri's side to stay in England's top flight in the long run, because you can guarantee that the bottom half of the league always finds a way to be so bad.

Burnley have basically stopped playing good defense now that the Sean Dyche magic is gone and now that Joe Hart is in goal. Cardiff are about play as perfect of Neil Warnock-ball as they come, which is essentially talentless on the whole and quite boring. Newcastle can't score to save their lives and Southampton were on course for that if it wasn't for their revival under Ralph Hussenhüttl. And if it weren't for wins over Manchester City and Leicester, Crystal Palace would be on the verge of following the same fate.

But if there's one team that is more deficient in attack more than any other team in the Premier League, look no further than Huddersfield Town. Even with their unforgiveable 1-0 win to Fulham back in November, that loan goal came off of an own goal via a set piece move. And after 19 games, forwards Steve Mounie and Laurent Depoitre have not scored a single goal.

It seemed like their victory back at the John Smith's Stadium that fateful night would kick start their campaign, but after drawing with West Ham and defeating Wolves, Huddersfield have lost six in a row. The Terriers have been outscored 4-12 during that span and 5.47-9.59 in expected goals.

Now that may seem like they have been in a bit of bad luck, but that just has been the case all season for them. Their 13.97 expected goals scored versus 12 actual goals scored indicates that most of their rut has occurred during their bad spell of form, but both numbers are still bottom of the league by some distance. Add in the fact that Huddersfield's most creative player Aaron Mooy has been out for three games and counting due to a torn MCL and that's just adding insult to injury (no pun intended).

Meanwhile, Fulham and their supposedly poor defense looks more resolute as long as they play three at the back. But does that mean that their goal scoring dries out completely because there is no buildup play to speak of? Still, the men in white will have their full compliment of players back and the home crowd on their side for what has to be a three point performance. Do that, and their fight to stave off relegation is truly on.

But in order to claim victory, Fulham will have to get the better of these three players on Saturday.

Alex Pritchard

With Mooy out of the picture, Huddersfield will look to the former Norwich attacking midfielder to be the spark plug in Wagner's side. That said, the 25-year old has had his key passes plummet from a usual 2.30 per contest all the way down to 0.88 per 90 minutes. Along with that, his xG Buildup of 0.08 is simply not good enough hoping to play the number 10 role in Mooy's stead.

At his best, Pritchard likes to play behind the striker and either go for goal himself or go after people on the dribble. Those two qualities are still presentable, as evidenced by his 2.35 shots per 90 minutes and 1.10 successful dribbles per contest. But if it weren't for two major ankle injuries he has had in the past four seasons, Pritchard could have built on his 12-goal, seven-assist season he had with Brentford back in 2014/15. Instead, he only has one helper to his name and is being counted upon to deliver so much more when it may no longer be feasible anymore.

Jonathan Hogg

While Pritchard is hoping to be Huddersfield's answer in attack, there's no denying how dependable Jonathan Hogg has been. The 30-year old has built a great double pivot with Philip Billing and has been a great servant to the club: garnering 168 club appearances during his six-year spell. This season, only his partner in crime has delivered more crunching tackles than Hogg's 2.75 per 90 minutes and his 3.25 interceptions are the best among any key Huddersfield midfielder. So yeah, if there's one thing you can count on with the Terriers is that they will be about as resolute as they can get in defense, regardless of what formation they use.

Zanka
All data from whoscored.com

Speaking of defense, you know how inept your football club is on the other end when your center back just so happens to be your leading goal scorer in league play. That's right! Zanka's three goals, including the lone goal in his club's last fixture at Manchester United, leads all Huddersfield players in Premier League tallies.

But along with being so good in the set piece, the man also known as Mathias Jorgensen is strongest of all his colleagues in defensive actions as well. If anything, he is more the rock in Huddersfield's backline, while Christophe Schindler is more the modern ball-playing type. It is about time the Dane is getting his just reward in international accolades as well as eight of his 20 caps have come in 2018.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/12/29/18157668/three-players-to-watch-matchday-20-vs-huddersfield-town

WhiteJC

Opinion: Leeds should make an ambitious move for Tom Cairney in January

Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa should target an ambitious move for Fulham's club captain Tom Cairney in January, as the 27-year-old has fallen out of favour at Craven Cottage under new boss Claudio Ranieri.

What's the situation?

According to a recent report from The Sun, Ranieri is keen on swapping Cairney for Newcastle's more defensively-minded midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, as the Italian boss has switched to a 5-4-1 formation that leaves his captain out in the cold.

After their promotion to the Premier League, Cairney has only managed 14 league appearances – 10 of which have been starts, and a move away in January doesn't look out of the question.

The Scottish international is somewhat of a luxury player, but his talent is clear to see and he was crucial in Fulham's success while earning promotion from the Championship last season. In fact, it was Cairney who scored the winner in the play-off final against Aston Villa in May.

A move to Leeds then could be perfect for all parties involved.

Promotion push

The Whites are currently sitting at the top of the Championship table – three points clear of Norwich after 24 games – having had a fantastic start to life under Bielsa.

If they are to continue this form though the club will surely have to spend in January in order to keep ahead of their closest challengers, especially in the attacking midfield positions having loaned Samu Saiz to Getafe for the rest of the campaign.

Cairney would be a brilliant buy as he has the experience needed to guide the club to promotion, and Leeds could surely make a strong enough offer to tempt the Cottagers to sell.

Given that Fulham are struggling in the Premier League, it could also be a shrewd move for Cairney himself as the Whites look on course to return to the big-time.

https://www.footballfancast.com/championship/leeds/opinion-leeds-should-make-an-ambitious-move-for-tom-cairney-in-january

WhiteJC

Transfer talk of no interest to Huddersfield Town boss David Wagner ahead of Fulham clash

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN head coach David Wagner believes his side's ability to play without fear when the pressure is on could prove key today in the bottom of the table game with Fulham.

The Terriers' trip to the capital kicks off a run of three league games that are likely to make or break the club's season.

With Burnley travelling to the John Smith's Stadium on January 2 and Town heading to Cardiff 10 days after that, Yorkshire's sole top-flight representative has a chance to breathe fresh life into their survival fight after a run of six straight defeats. Wagner said: "If you see the performances in recent weeks, playing without fear is one of our strengths.

"You have rarely seen that the recent results have affected our performances – maybe only the first-half versus Southampton in these six defeats. "We have created unbelievable opportunities but the truth is we did not score.

"This is where we have to improve and make the steps to convert our chances and ball possession into goals. "Goals change games and we haven't changed games in our favour often enough. But I am absolutely confident in these players.

"Leave the past in the past and focus on the next one." Such is the magnitude of today's game at Craven Cottage that Wagner yesterday rebuffed any attempts to talk about his plans for the January transfer window.

"Not being disrespectful but this game is too big for me to discuss transfers," said the Town chief, who is expected to allow Rajiv Van la Parra to join Middlesbrough on loan after Ramadan Sobhi yesterday made a temporary switch to Egyptian club Al-Ahly. "These games are big. There is not a shadow of a doubt that they are massive for us."

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/huddersfield-town/transfer-talk-of-no-interest-to-huddersfield-town-boss-david-wagner-ahead-of-fulham-clash-1-9512664