Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (04/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 04, 2019, 08:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Why kick-off times in the FA Cup will be staggered this season

The FA signed an overseas television deal in 2016

It's FA Cup third round weekend!

Many will point out that the competition kicked off in the extra preliminary rounds way back in August, but this is arguably where things start to get interesting as some lower league sides have been provided with an opportunity to cause an upset.

Things get underway on Friday night when Tottenham Hotspur face League Two outfit Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park, while their north London rivals Arsenal travel to Bloomfield Road to face Blackpool for the second time this season.

Holders Chelsea have been drawn at home against Championship side Nottingham Forest as Maurizio Sarri looks to win a trophy in his first season at Stamford Bridge.

Traditionally, the majority of FA Cup third round games kick-off at 3pm on a Saturday, but that's not the case this season.

In fact, only 10 of the 32 are scheduled to take place at this time.

Manchester United vs Reading as well as West Ham United vs Birmingham City are two of seven 1230pm kick-offs on January 5, with the Blues first game of their trophy defence and Brentford vs Oxford United slated for 3pm.

There's also some evening viewing for supporters as the Gunners' clash as well as Crystal Palace vs Grimsby kick-off at 5.30pm.

Furthermore, there's a bunch of fixtures on Sunday - including Millwall vs Hull City, Fulham vs Oldham and QPR vs Leeds United (all at 2pm) and another on Monday evening when Premier League leaders Liverpool face Wolves away from home.

Not all these matches will be shown live in the UK, but the reason behind the staggered kick-off times this year is down to an overseas television deal the FA signed in October 2016 .

Part of the deal included the rescheduling of kick-off times to allow for more TV games for viewers outside of the UK.

A statement via the FA's official website read: "After an extremely competitive bidding process for the international rights to televise The Emirates FA Cup for the six seasons from the 2018-19 campaign through to 2023-24.

"The FA has signed a memorandum of understanding with Pitch International to cover western Europe, the Middle East and North Africa and with IMG for the rest of the world."

Selected FA Cup third round kick-off times:
Friday, January 4

Tranmere Rovers vs Tottenham (7.45pm) - live on BT Sport 2.

Saturday, January 5

Manchester United vs Reading (12.30pm) - live on BT Sport 2

West Ham vs Birmingham City (12.30pm)

Brentford vs Oxford United (3pm)

Chelsea vs Nottingham Forest (3pm)

Crystal Palace vs Grimsby Town (5.30pm)

Blackpool vs Arsenal (5.30pm) - live on BT Sport 2

Sunday, January 6

Queens Park Rangers vs Leeds United (2pm)

Woking vs Watford (2pm) - live on BT Sport 2

Fulham vs Oldham (2pm)

Millwall vs Hull City (2pm)

https://www.football.london/premier-league/fa-cup-third-round-fixtures-15623888

WhiteJC

Hammyend Team – Memories, Hopes and Dreams

As a New Year breaks, we thought it was time as a team to give you our collective memories from 2018 as Fulham fans and what we hope for in 2019. Enjoy!

Memories from 2018

Dan Crawford –
2018 was full of incredible memories that make it very difficult to pick one. The whole of our unbeaten run was so mesmorising and some of the football Slavisa Jokanovic's side played was heavenly. The spirit and fortitude shown by the boys to keep plugging away even when it seemed automatic promotion was out of reach was just incredible – and the drama of the play-offs was just something else. That night against Derby at Craven Cottage is unforgettable and the suddeness of the turnaround, with those goals from Sessegnon and Odoi, made it all the more memorable.

And then there was Wembley. I never thought I'd see Fulham play at the famous ground. But to win there: in a such a high stakes game, well that has to go down as one of the best days of my life. I don't know how many times I've watched that glorious goal again. Sessegnon's composure and vision to set Cairney away and the coolness of the finish. The desire to see it through after Odoi's red card and that magnificent Ollie Norwood tackle. The final whistle brought all kinds of emotions – relief, joy, disbelief – bubbling to the surface.

Alan Drewett –

Last year will be a year that will stick in the mind of every Fulham fan. We eventually got to Wembley and we gained promotion back to the big time. It was a year that started off with a 23 game unbeaten run and just falling short of the automatic places. The addition of Mitrovic was certainly the season defining moment for us. The first half of the season we were crying out for a centre forward that could finish, hold the ball and slot in to our free flowing way of football and he ticked all the boxes.

The play off semi final win at home to Derby will also be a memory I will never forget. We were a team that rarely threatened from corners and it was a Denis Odoi header from a corner that sent us on the way to Wembley. The pitch invasion afterwards allowed my 3 year old son to face the Craven Cottage turf for the first time. Everywhere you looked, there was pure jubilation from everyone on the pitch. Denis Odoi being held aloft is one particular image which will always bring a smile to my face.

Frankie Taylor –

Slavisa Jokanovic's swaggering Fulham side clinched promotion in dramatic style throughout the play offs following a remarkable unbeaten run towards the end of the season which left Fulham a whisker away from the automatic slot. Our first day at Wembley since 1975 was ended in joy, a day I'm sure no Fulham fan will forget... not less Ryan Sessegnon threading through a gorgeous pass to captain Tom Cairney (and arguably the poster boy of Jokanovic's era at Fulham) to slot beyond Sam Johnstone in the Aston Villa goal. For the turnaround in fortunes, the style of football and the ultimate success, Slavisa Jokanovic should never be unspoken when discussing great managers of the football, though for whatever reason it didn't work out in the Premier League, he played a mighty big part in getting us there.

Lydia Campbell –

2018 will stand forever in the memories as one of the craziest, most exciting and most absolutely mad years as a Fulham fan. A 23 league game unbeaten run will always give us some memories, but what came at the end of it was THAT trip to Wembley and our golden ticket into the Premier League via a Tom Cairney goal. What a day, what a year.

We have had some crazy moments along the way, Middlesbrough away stands out to me with Ollie Norwood's last gasp penalty sealing the points in a game we probably had no right to win. I was working for BBC Sport NI that day at an Irish League game and very nearly ruined the live post-match interview with Crusaders manager Stephen Baxter as the score came in on my phone. Sorry, Stephen...

Then fast forward to Denis Odoi's header against Derby which could have been the last thing I saw alive as the guy beside me practically rugby tackled me when the ball hit the back of the net, before lifting me above his head in celebration. It was all good though, if that was the last thing I witnessed before coming to an untimely end, it would have been a pretty good way to go out.

Cue Wembley. It's hard to really put into words what that day meant to me. Things have been very tough for my family over the past 18 months for reasons that I'll not bore you with here, so getting to watch Fulham win at Wembley with my dad, the man who introduced me to Fulham all those years ago meant more to me that I could possibly have imagined. Special moments.

Hopes and Dreams for 2019

Dan Crawford –
If I'm honest, I'm still a little sad about how it ended for Jokanovic. I was a true believer in the style of football and the philosophy even after it became clear that we were going to struggle in the Premier League. There's no doubt that Claudio Ranieri has tightened it up and made us much harder to beat. It might not be pretty – indeed, it is the polar opposite of what has gone before, but it is working.

My immediate wishes are for some reinforcements in January. It looks like we'll need another centre back if Alfie Mawson's injury is as serious as we fear it could be and that could be a sound acquisition in any case. There's a clear need for a defensive midfielder since Anguissa has yet to step up to the mark – no matter how good Calum Chambers has been in his new found role. I also think some back up for Mitrovic in the striking role is a must, but Premier League experience – which much of our squad is lacking – is vital. We can stay up, but we need to make the right moves.

Alan Drewett –

Our return to the Premiership has already been a season to forget. With so many changes made in the summer, 12 players in and £105m spent, we were all hoping to hit the ground running. Unfortunately, it has not gone according to plan. Slavisa Jokanovic has been replaced by Claudio "The Tinkerman" Ranieri and the whole identity is changing. I would like to see us still be a Premiership team come May and use the summer transfer window to allow Ranieri to buy his players and make us a stable top flight club.

I am hoping the board and the owners have learnt something from the summer transfer window and allow the manager to have more of a say on who is brought in. The next 5 months are going to be nervy, tense and certainly a rollercoaster ride with plenty of highs and lows. I hope we use the January transfer window to make the necessary changes to the squad in order to make us compete at this level. It is extremely important we keep the likes of Sessegnon and Mitrovic fit if we are going to stand any chance. I am looking forward to the rest of the season and I am hoping our first away win of the season is just around the corner at Burnley.

Have a fantastic 2019, all! COYW!

Frankie Taylor –

Claudio Ranieri now takes the reigns. A dramatic difference in footballing philosophy brings multiple questions, which players suit? Which players will adapt? And who will the manager like and dislike? Leicester title winning leader has already looked to recreate the hardened defensive set up and whilst it lacks the quality of a Ngolo Kante, Riyad Mahrez or Jamie Vardy, Fulham have a January window to get the squad better suited for Ranieri-ball.

Big changes hit Craven Cottage as work is set to start on the Riverside Stand, and the income of Premier League football is vital to helping us through financially that period of time. Extra outlay may be eye watering for the books, but necessary with the Whites in desperate need for players that better suit the quicker play of the new regime to ensure that a fancier, expanded Craven Cottage plays host to Premier League football.

Although Premier League safety will be the biggest aim for 2019 for the football club, I'd like to see a continuation of youth involvement in the first team, beyond Ryan Sessegnon (who is absolutely established in the first team), Claudio Ranieri hasn't dipped down to see what he has – though the FA Cup game against Oldham may be the best opportunity for that.

Lydia Campbell –

The back half of 2018 has been hard. Results on the pitch have been pretty dire and we have been left with the momentous task of Premier League survival while being the bottom team at Christmas. My long-term hope is obviously survival, but in the short term, I don't want us to lose all of the flair and spirit that got us into the top league in the first place. We need to be more effective as a team, and we need to be able to grind out results like all teams at this side of the table, but I would like Ranieri to do that without ripping the soul out of the side.

I don't think he will as I think the likes of Sessegnon, Mitrovic, Cairney and even Odoi have roles at this club in the hunt for survival, but we all need to accept that changes will be made. He has already made us a much better unit, and we haven't done that by completely sacrificing our attacking play. We have had copious chances in most of the games under Ranieri, so I hope we start taking them!

As a team we would just like to thank you all for reading our material, and want to wish you all a happy and healthy new year.

#COYW

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/01/hammyend-team-memories-hopes-and-dreams/

WhiteJC

Fulham 'in the lead' for €20m forward, six goals in 18 league games this season

One of the first rumours to appear following Claudio Ranieri's appointment at Fulham was his interest in a reunion with Watford's Stefano Okaka, whom he managed during their time together at Roma.

This suggested the Italian wasn't fully pleased with the goalscoring talent at his disposal beyond Alexandar Mitrovic, who has been a reliable outlet for the Cottagers since his initial loan from Newcastle.

Slowly but surely, the Okaka story seemed to disappear, but that doesn't mean Fulham are done with their striker hunt, as recent stories suggest the London side have turned their attention to Roma's Grégoire Defrel.

The French forward is currently on loan at Sampdoria for the season, but Thursday's edition of Gazzetta dello Sport suggest a transfer could be sorted in January either way, cancelling the last six months of the forward's time in Genoa if both sides come to an agreement.

The Italian newspaper explain that, as things stand, Fulham are 'in the lead' when it comes to Premier League sides, and a sale would allow Roma to reinvest the money in a new player as long as they don't make a loss.

Considering the initial deal taking him from Sassuolo was around €20m altogether (loan and redemption), that might be a tough ask as the 27-year-old has hardly been in mind-blowing form this season, scoring a goal every three games (six in 18) in the league so far.

It's good, but is it €20m+ good?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-lead-e20m-forward-six-goals-18-league-games-season/

WhiteJC

Looking for a challenge in 2019?

WALK, RUN or CYCLE for Fulham FC Foundation.

To register your interest on one of these events please email [email protected] or call on 07500 124 055

FFC AWAY DAY CYCLE

Craven Cottage-Vitality Stadium

What is it?

Cycle from Craven Cottage to the Vitality Stadium for the Whites' away fixture against Bournemouth

When is it?

Friday 19th and Saturday 20th April 2019

What's included?

-Accommodation

-FFC cycle jersey

-Lunch and dinner on day 1

-Breakfast and lunch on day 2

-Ticket for the match and transport back to Craven Cottage

Registration Fee: £150

Fundraising Target: £500

COTTAGE MARCH

St James' Park, London to Craven Cottage

What is it?

Walk a half marathon from St James' Park in London to Craven Cottage in time for the Whites' last home game of the season against Newcastle United

When is it?

12th May

What's included?

-Support vehicle and walking marshals

-Refreshments on the walk

-Ticket to the Fulham v Newcastle United match

-FFC T-shirt

Registration fee: £50

Fundraising target: £250

PRUDENTIAL RIDE LONDON 2019
Olympic Park to The Mall

What is it?

100 mile route on closed roads through the capital and into Surrey's stunning countryside, finishing on The Mall in central London.

When is it?

August 2019

What's included?

-FFC Cycle jersey

-Fundraising support

-Training rides

-Name in the match day programme

Registration Fee: £50

Fundraising Target: £600

adidas FULHAM 10K

adidas City Runs

What is it?

Scheduled for Sunday 17th November, the adidas Fulham 10k is London's flattest closed road 10K, offering you the perfect opportunity to get a brand new PB.

When is it?

-Sunday 17th November

What's included?

-Free tech adidas t-shirt

-Bespoke training sessions

-Fundraising support and advice

Registration fee: £20

Fundraising target: £150

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/03/fulham-foundation-challenges

WhiteJC

Humphrys returns to parent club Fulham

Loanee Stephen Humphrys has returned to parent club Fulham following his loan spell with the Iron.

The 21-year-old made a total of 20 appearances for the club, including ten league starts, scoring five goals.

The club would like to place on record their thanks for Stephen's efforts while with the Iron and wish him all the best for the future.

Following Humphrys' departure, the Iron can confirm that striker Kevin van Veen will reoccupy his previous squad number, taking the number 10.

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2019/january/humphrys-returns-to-parent-club-fulham/

WhiteJC

Team against Oldham Athletic
Over on the forum we've been discussing the upcoming FA Cup game...

love4ffc

Thoughts on Oldham FA Cup match.

Everything below is what I would do if I were in charge and just an opinion.  I do think Ranieri will do the opposite however and play pretty much the first team and his usual starting XI.  For the most part at least.  I don't really see Ranieri reaching down into the U23's or U18's this season as I don't think that is his style.  I hope to be proven wrong. 
I am a firm believer of playing every match to win.  Regardless of the league or competition.  So, for the upcoming match against Oldham I would like to see a combination of first team players and youngsters. 
My line up would include keeping the back for the most part the same.  I would do this so that the back continues to gel and learn each other's playing style and thoughts.  As for the front I would sit Mitro as there is no need for him to play and possibly get a knock.  I would also sit Tom and Seri and give some of our U23's a chance to shine.  With that in mind I would start the following line-up. 

Subs would be Harvey Elliott for Ryan, de la Torre for Vietto and Chambers for either Kmac or Johansen.  All of this of course would be contingent on the game going our way. 

The reason I choose Steven and the above players is because this is a great match for them to show everyone what they can bring to the first team for both the remainder of this season and the future.

This first player that I really would like to see in this match is Steven Sessegnon.  I believe he is fully health and should get a chance to show that like his brother he can bring a lot to the first team.  I would like to see him start either on the right wing for Christie or as the right center fullback for Odoi.  From what match footage I've seen of him I think he could possible do either position and quite possible even make the first team bench as a sub player. 

The other two youngsters I would include for this match; de la Torre as I think he is and can be a regular squad player and Harvey Elliott as it would be great to see him get a run with some of the first team players.   

I'm sure everyone has also notice I put Tom and Seri on the bench.  Just like Mitro I just don't think we should take a chance on Tom getting a knock.   I do think Tom should be starting more and would prefer Seri to be more of a sub rather than playing alongside Tom in the midfield.  As for Seri not starting, I have no real reason other than I think this would be a good game for Kmac and Johansen to get a good run out. 

My captain for the match would be Kmac if he starts, obviously.  If he does not start, then Johansen.  If neither Kmac or Johansen get the nod and Tom is not in the starting XI then I give the arm band to MLM.  Why you ask would I give it to MLM?  Because I actually think he plays decent football and I believe he could step up and take the mantel if needed. 

So, with all that said I really do hope to see both Fulham use some of its youth and get a solid win for once.

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=569

WhiteJC

French Striker on the radar of West Ham, Watford and Fulham

Gregoire Defrel isn't a name too many Premier League fans will be familiar with, but that could soon change.

The French striker who currently plies his trade in Serie A with Sampdoria, on loan from Roma, has scored six goals in eighteen appearances so far this season. That decent strike-rate, particularly for a mid-table side like Sampdoria, has put a host of Premier League clubs on alert.

According to Sky Sports, West Ham, Watford and Fulham are all potentially in the market for a new frontman this transfer window, and Defrel may just fit the bill for one of them.

Fulham have only managed 19 goals in 21 games all season so their need is obvious, while West Ham appear overly reliant on Felipe Anderson and Marko Arnautovic for goals, and so would love another goalscorer to ease their burden. Watford have done reasonably well so far this season in terms of goals but none of their frontline has managed more than five goals.

Defrel could be the ideal fit for any of these teams. The 27-year-old has been pretty much the epitome of a "one-goal-in-three" striker for most of his career, having bagged 23 goals in 73 games for Sassuolo over two seasons before his move to Roma in 2017. That sort of regular hitrate could be invaluable to any of the three Premier League teams interested.

Having joined Roma for around £13 million, you'd expect a fee in the region of £18-20million would secure the signature of the Frenchman. It remains to be seen which Premier League club, if any, takes the plunge.

https://90maat.com/2019/01/03/french-striker-on-the-radar-of-west-ham-watford-and-fulham/

WhiteJC

3 clear reasons why Leeds should move for this Fulham player this month

It's certain to be an interesting transfer window for Leeds United, as they look to make additions to their side to help strengthen their grip on top spot in the Championship.

Marcelo Bielsa's side are currently two points clear of Norwich in the table, and many fans will be confident of seeing the Whites make a long-awaited return to the Premier League.

But their promotion bid suffered a dent as Samuel Saiz left the club in favour of a loan move to Spanish side, Getafe just days before the transfer window opened in the New Year.

Leeds supporters will be hoping to see a replacement signed early this month, so they can play a crucial role in their promotion push this season.

One player who should certainly be on their radar is Fulham midfielder, Stefan Johansen who has fallen out of favour at Craven Cottage.

Johansen played a starring role in Fulham's promotion last season but has been limited to just four starts in the top flight, and he is likely to be tempted by a move elsewhere in search of regular first-team football.

But why should Leeds be doing everything they can to bring the Fulham midfielder in this month?

Johansen has proven Championship experience

The Norwegian has only made four starts this season for Fulham, which will come as a surprise as he played a pivotal role in their promotion to the top flight last season.

Johansen only missed one league game for Fulham last season in the Championship and would be confident of taking Leeds back into the Premier League if he was to join the Whites this month.

He would fit the winning mentality already in the Leeds squad

Johansen played a starring role for Fulham as they gained promotion to the Premier League last season, and he's been unlucky not to have featured much in the top flight.

Fulham were the team to beat last season and Johansen would certainly bring the winning mentality to a Leeds side that are in confident mood after an excellent start to the season.

He can fill the Samuel Saiz void perfectly

There has already been speculation about who can fill the void by Samuel Saiz who departed on loan to Spanish side, Getafe.

Johansen could slot perfectly in behind Kemar Roofe in the CAM role and would provide the creative spark that Leeds will need to fire themselves back into the Premier League.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-clear-reasons-why-leeds-should-move-for-this-fulham-player-this-month/

WhiteJC

Transfer news: Chelsea set to confirm exit triggering Man Utd player return
CHELSEA defender Gary Cahill is close to sealing a switch across London to Fulham.

The Blues centre-back has been used sparingly by Maurizio Sarri this season and is set for a new challenge with the Cottagers.

And the transfer has resulted in Fulham terminating the loan deal for Manchester United defender Tim Fosu-Mensah.

That's according to Love Sport who claim the 21-year-old has been let go to free up space in their squad.

Chelsea have preferred the partnership of Antonio Rudiger and David Luiz this season with Andreas Christensen providing backup.

Arsenal were also interested in the services of Cahill, but it looks like Fulham have beaten them to his signature.

Sarri praised Cahill last month but admitted he could leave Stamford Bridge.

"I respect him very much because he has won everything with this club," he explained.

"I have to do my job. Every match, I have to choose. For me, he is not able to [be] on the bench.

"Maybe he is the best in the box, but our defenders may play 100 or 110 balls in a match so I need very technical defenders.

"It is not my decision, but it is up to him and the club.

"He is in the last year of the contract.

"He has to decide for a new contract here or another club.

"For the over 30 [players] the club usually offers only one-year contracts.

"If he has an offer of three years, he can of course choose something [a transfer away from Chelsea]."

Chelsea return to action against Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round on Saturday (3pm).

The Blues were booed off by their own fans last night as they drew 0-0 with Southampton in the Premier League.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1066725/Transfer-news-Chelsea-Man-Utd-Fosu-Mensah-Cahill-gossip-Premier-League-latest

WhiteJC

FA Cup third-round predictions - Lawro v Radio 1 DJ Annie Mac

The FA Cup third round is famous for its thrills and spills - but what does the famous old competition have in store for us this season?

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson has taken a look at all 32 of this weekend's ties and given his verdict on who will make it into round four.

For selected matches, including the BBC's two televised games - Newport v Leicester (16:30 GMT KO on Sunday) and Wolves v Liverpool (19:45 on Monday) - Radio 1 DJ Annie Mac has made her predictions too.

Annie is a Tottenham fan, who is confident Mauricio Pochettino's side will not be on the wrong end of a shock when they travel to play League Two side Tranmere on Friday evening.

But which teams will suffer an upset, who will spring a surprise?

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Premier League v League Two

SUNDAY         
Fulham v Oldham   59   x-x   2-0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46746742

WhiteJC

Different slant on big money Fulham move for striker, and how it could work

Although Fulham's chase for Grégoire Defrel can be seen in several Italian outlets this Wednesday, there are different versions of the story.

Earlier today, we covered claims from Gazzetta Dello Sport saying the Whites would negotiate a January move directly with Roma.

That would result in the cancellation of his loan spell at Sampdoria, which was supposed to run until the end of the season.

However, Tuttosport's story claims that Fulham, who are read to spend €20m on the striker, could sign him directly from Sampdoria.

Speaking of players who could mean some profit for Roma, they say director Monchi is ready to accept the €14m that Sampdoria would pay to land him on a permanent transfer.

Then Sampdoria would sell him to the Premier League, which is obviously an intelligent move to make some millions without much work to be done.

Tuttosport adds that Brighton are also interested in the Frenchman, although it's clearly Fulham who are highlighted in the story.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/different-slant-big-money-fulham-move-striker-work/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham set to sign Chelsea's Gary Cahill, Timothy Fosu-Mensah loan cancelled

Cahill has been linked with a move away from Chelsea of late.

Love Sport Radio have claimed in an exclusive that Fulham are set to complete a deal to land Chelsea defender Gary Cahill on loan, in a move that will see Timothy Fosu-Mensah's loan cancelled.

Cahill, 33, has been afforded just one Premier League appearance by Maurizio Sarri this season, with the Italian manager preferring the likes of David Luiz and Antonio Rudiger.

England international Cahill has also been linked with Arsenal, a return to Aston Villa and a trip to Italy with AC Milan, but it appears he has settled on remaining in west London with Fulham.

The former Bolton rock has a matter of months remaining on his contract, which Spotrac claim is worth an enormous £100,000 a week. It remains to be seen where his long-term future lies.

But the report claims that Cahill will spend the second half of the campaign at Craven Cottage, which has also seen Fosu-Mensah return to Manchester United to free up space in Claudio Ranieri's squad.

The three-time Netherlands international made his first appearance under Ranieri on New Years' Day in the 4-1 loss to Arsenal - despite Premier League-winning manager Ranieri taking over in the middle of November.

Nothing has been confirmed as of yet, but the report is confident that Cahill will be joining Fulham and Fosu-Mensah's loan has been cancelled.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/03/report-fulham-set-to-sign-chelseas-gary-cahill-timothy-fosu-mens/

WhiteJC

Fulham join West Ham in race for Brazilian star, and face uphill struggle to do deal

After some news from Italy saying West Ham are still trying to sign Gabigol from Inter Milan, there are interest updates from Brazil saying another Premier League side are in talks for the player.

Goal's blog Ora Bolas claims that Inter Milan want to loan the striker to a club who will pay 100% of his wages. And only two sides are accepting these conditions: Fulham and Flamengo.

It's claimed that Crystal Palace, Everton and West Ham have all shown interest in Gabigol, but they don't want to pay his full salary, which is of €3.5m per season.

However, despite Fulham's efforts to land the striker, they are said to be pratically out of the race. That's because Gabigol even dreams of playing in the Premier League, but wants to sign for a club who are on the upper half of the table, which is not the case of the Craven Cottage side at the moment.

The situation makes Flamengo the favourites to land Gabigol. The Brazilian club, however, don't want to pay a fee for the loan which is being demanded by Inter.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-join-west-ham-race-brazilian-star-face-uphill-struggle-deal/

WhiteJC

Fulham make World Cup finalist their January 'priority', offer could be on its way 'very soon'

When we last left the Domagoj Vida to the Premier League story line, West Ham and Everton where the two main protagonists, as the Croatian centre-back could be one of the players sold by Besiktas in a planned January clear out.

The news came from Turkey, with the report stating the Turkish side would be looking for around €10m, and Fulham were also briefly mentioned.

However, that appears to have now escalated, as Le10 Sport in France believe the Cottagers and Claudio Ranieri have made the 29-year-old their 'priority' for the current transfer window.

Already wanting Vida during his time at Leicester, the Italian manager is now determined to get his man at Craven Cottage in a bid to bolster his defence for the second half of the season.

Le10 even go as far as saying an offer could be sent to Besiktas 'very soon'.

We won't hold our breath, but at €10m, you can do a lot worse than signing a World Cup finalist.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-make-world-cup-finalist-january-priority-offer-way-soon/

WhiteJC

Rangers eye Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald after Jermain Defoe capture

Fulham transfer news sees midfielder targeted by Scottish giants after dramatic swoop for star striker

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald is a transfer target for Rangers as they look to build on the momentum generated by their audacious swoop for Jermain Defoe.

Scotland international McDonald has struggled for game time since Fulham's promotion to the Premier League and football.london understands preliminary discussions have taken place over a move for McDonald.

Rangers have also been linked with Southampton midfielder Steven Davis but McDonald represents a tempting option for Ibrox boss Steven Gerrard after his impressive form for Fulham last season.

Defoe is set to join Rangers on an 18-month loan deal from Bournemouth as Gerrard looks to take the Scottish Premiership title from Celtic, who currently lead the league on goal difference albeit having played a game fewer than their Glasgow rivals.

McDonald signed a new two year contract with Fulham in the summer with an option for the deal to be extended by a further 12 months.

The 30-year-old started 45 of 49 games under Slavisa Jokanovic in the Championship but has found first-team opportunities harder to come by under Claudio Ranieri, though an ankle injury has not aided his chances.

McDonald has played just eight minutes in the Cottagers' last four games and saw Ibrahima Cisse preferred to him in Fulham's 4-1 defeat to Arsenal on New Year's Day, for which the Scottish midfielder was not even named in the matchday squad.

Cisse was also preferred to Jean Michael Seri, though the Ivorian's 29 minute cameo from the bench showed many signs of improvement after his recent struggles under Jokanovic and Ranieri.

Despite his and Fulham's struggles on the pitch Seri is eager to prove his worth in the Premier League and is ready to play a major part in their survival.

Fulham are expected to make further additions to Ranieri's squad this month after spending £100million on players in the summer transfer window, though that overhaul has not been enough to establish the Cottagers as a Premier League force.

Though their defensive troubles have eased somewhat under Ranieri Sunday's 4-1 defeat at Arsenal showed there is still much work to be done on a defence on course for one of the worst tallies for goals conceded in a 38-game season.

Chelsea defender Gary Cahill is expected to arrive on loan this month to shore up the backline.

Fulham's transfer plans for January

With the January transfer window in full swing, football.london want to hear from Fulham fans on the business they want to see from the club in the first month of 2019 and their view on the season so far under Claudio Ranieri.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/rangers-eye-fulham-midfielder-kevin-15625767

WhiteJC

Fulham consider sending Timothy Fosu-Mensah back to Man United in order to free up loan space in squad

Timothy Fosy-Mensah has made nine appearances for Fulham so far this season
    Fulham could send Fosu-Mensah back to United to make another loan signing
    The Premier League strugglers have been linked with Chelsea's Gary Cahill

Fulham are considering ending Timothy Fosu-Mensah's loan spell from Manchester United.

The versatile defender joined the Craven Cottage club on a season long loan but has found first-team football hard to come by.

And the possibility of terminating the Dutchman's loan spell has been discussed as the Cottagers look to free up positions in their squad for January reinforcements.

Fulham could send Holland international Timothy Fosu-Mensah back to Manchester United

The 21-year-old Dutchman has made nine appearances for Fulham so far this season.   

Fulham have been linked with a loan move for Chelsea's Gary Cahill but the club would have to send either Fosu-Mensah or Arsenal's Calum Chambers back to their respective parent sides. 

Premier League rules stipulate you can only have a maximum of two loanees from your top-flight rivals at any one time. 

Sending Fosu-Mensah back to Old Trafford could open the door for Gary Cahill to join Fulham

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6555243/Fulham-consider-sending-Timothy-Fosu-Mensah-Man-United.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Oldham Athletic
SUN 06 Jan 2019   The FA Cup - Third Round
Venue: Craven Cottage

Chambers (right) is on a season-long loan from Arsenal

FA Cup third round
Date: Sunday 6 January Kick-off: 14:00 GMT Venue: Craven Cottage

Calum Chambers could return in the Fulham defence to face Oldham in the FA Cup after being ineligible for the league defeat by Arsenal.

Fellow defender Alfie Mawson is still struggling with a knee injury.

Oldham, under caretaker manager Peter Wild, will be without Ishmael Miller after the striker's short-term contract came to an end.

Defender Rob Hunt is back in contention after missing the 2-1 win over Notts County with a minor foot injury.

MATCH FACTS

This will be just the second FA Cup meeting between Fulham and Oldham, with Fulham winning the other 2-0 in the 1982-83 third round.
    The last time Fulham played Oldham in any competition was back in January 1999 in a third-tier league game at Craven Cottage - Fulham winning 1-0.
    Fulham have lost just one of their last 18 FA Cup games against sides from a lower division (W11 D6). However that defeat did come in their last such game, losing 0-1 to Sheffield United in a round four replay during the 2013-14 season.
    Oldham are aiming to reach round four of the FA Cup for the first time since 2012/13, when they were eventually beaten by Everton in round five.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46713170

WhiteJC

Terminating Timothy Fosu-Mensah's loan to make room for Gary Cahill is great business for Fulham

Reports from Love Sport Radio on Thursday claimed Fulham had terminated the loan of Timothy Fosu-Mensah in order to make room for the arrival of Chelsea defender Gary Cahill.

The alleged move is great business for Fulham, as the Manchester United loanee failed to impress, paving the way for the addition of a much-needed experienced centre-half at Craven Cottage.

Fosu-Mensah came to SW6 with an impressive reputation as a promising youngster, but his defending at right back was haphazard at best.

Often quick to over-commit to challenges and dive in with rash tackles, the Dutchman struggled to establish himself as a consistent starter. Particular low points included a penalty conceded against Bournemouth and a listless display at Huddersfield that was compounded by an own goal.

To essentially swap an erratic 21-year-old right back for a 33-year-old Premier League-winning centre-back is a clear upgrade for Claudio Ranieri.

Cahill is undeniably rusty after featuring sparsely this campaign for Chelsea, yet once he returns to full fitness, he will represent Fulham's best defensive option by far — even at his advanced age.

Despite the recent encouraging performances of Tim Ream and Denis Odoi, the pair are simply not top-flight defenders, and the injury to Alfie Mawson has exacerbated their shortcomings.

If Fulham aspire to stay in the Premier League, an overhaul of their defence is required, and the loan addition of Gary Cahill in the place of Timothy Fosu-Mensah is an excellent move.

https://tbrfootball.com/terminating-timothy-fosu-mensahs-loan-to-make-room-for-gary-cahill-is-great-business-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham should re-sign Tottenham's Mousa Dembele after Mauricio Pochettino's comments

Fulham should re-sign Tottenham Hotspur's Mousa Dembele after Mauricio Pochettino refused to rule out a potential exit in January.

Prior to Claudio Ranieri's appointment at Fulham in November, they were heading in only one direction and that was straight back to the Championship.

Under the previous stewardship of Slavisa Jokanovic, the Serb had worked wonders in helping the London club earn promotion to the Premier League, but he struggled upon the club's return to the promised land.

Fulham's defensive problems soon become apparent as they were shipping goals for fun and not showing any signs of keeping a clean sheet.

But Ranieri's appointment has added bite to their backline as they have kept two clean sheets in their previous four matches.

Those issues still need resolving for the struggling Premier League club and with the January transfer window open, Ranieri should pounce on signing former player Mousa Dembele from Tottenham.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino, speaking to Football.London, refused to rule out a potential departure for Dembele this month - he made 75 appearances for Fulham during their previous visit to the Premier League.

The 31-year-old has only started seven Premier League matches for Pochettino this season as he battles an ankle injury.

But his potential arrival at Craven Cottage would add much-needed experience, defensive stability and calmness to Fulham's midfield as they battle relegation.

At this moment in time, they are sitting in the relegation zone, but a positive change of results in the next six weeks will seem them climb out of danger.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/03/fulham-should-re-sign-tottenhams-mousa-dembele-after-mauricio-po/

WhiteJC

Leeds United in fresh link to Premier League goalkeeper and they 'want him so much'

Jamal Blackman's injury has encouraged director of football Victor Orta into the transfer market

Leeds United want a goalkeeper this month and Fulham's out-of-favour Spanish stopper Fabri is among their targets, according to one Turkish source.

The 31-year-old goalkeeper arrived at the newly promoted Premier League side in the summer from Besiktas on a three-year contract.

After beginning the season as Fulham's number one, Fabri has fallen out of favour. The Spaniard has not played since August 18 and not even been on the bench since November 1.

Fabri is also thought to be interesting his former club Besiktas, hence Saridag's report, and Rayo Vallecano.

The journalist, translated by Microsoft, said United and Vallecano "want him so much," but believes Fabri's preference is to return to Turkey with Besiktas.

Karl Darlow has been widely reported as a key Elland Road target, but Newcastle United chief Rafa Benitez has ruled out a move away for the stopper this month.

Meanwhile, Tom Heaton, another reported prospect, has played each of Burnley's last two Premier League matches and seems back in favour with Sean Dyche.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-fabri-transfer-news-15628089