watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (06/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 06, 2019, 07:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Nathaniel Clyne's loan decision is a massive blow for relegation rivals Fulham and Cardiff

Liverpool defender Nathaniel Clyne secured a loan move to Bournemouth on Friday, completing his switch to the Cherries at the same time as Dominic Solanke arrived at the club.

Although the two Liverpool arrivals were excellent news for Bournemouth, Premier League strugglers Cardiff City and Fulham were dealt a massive blow after missing out on Clyne.

Earlier reports had linked the two newly-promoted clubs with securing the right back on loan, a transfer that would have added much-needed top-flight experience to their respective backlines.

Clyne has a wealth of Premier League success from his time at Southampton and Liverpool, racking up over 170 top-flight appearances and 14 caps for England.

At 27 years of age, the defender also is in the prime of his career, able to offer his maximum capacities while on loan.

Fulham infamously sport the leakiest defence in the division, and Clyne would have represented a significant upgrade over Cyrus Christie, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, and Denis Odoi on the right.

In addition, Cardiff remain precariously close to the relegation places and have conceded the third-most goals in the league.

Both relegation-threatened sides would have seen an improvement in their defensive records with the addition of Nathaniel Clyne, but the right back's decision to join ambitious Bournemouth strikes a blow to their survival hopes.

https://tbrfootball.com/nathaniel-clynes-loan-decision-is-a-massive-blow-for-relegation-rivals-fulham-and-cardiff/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Pjaca can return to Juventus right away with Fulham and AC Milan interested

Disappointing. There is no other adjective to describe the first part of the season with Fiorentina by Marko Pjaca. The Croatian attacker has the talent to sell, but after the knee problems that have influenced his first year at Juventus but even in Florence they have lost faith in the player after having focused on him at the beginning of the season.

The arrival of Luis Muriel is a clear signal, as there are now many players in the attack and Pjaca is the number one candidate to leave the club. Fiorentina is even thinking of immediately terminating the loan (the redemption is not even taken into consideration) and send the player back to Turin.

Juventus is ready to accept Fiorentina's conditions but does not want to keep the player at the club. Many have already informed the Italian champions about the possibility of obtaining Pjaca on loan for the next 6 months.

Cagliari was the first club to move, Fulham of Claudio Ranieri presented a request to the Bianconeri and finally, in the background, there is also Milan that took an interest in this possibility even if it is not Leonardo's priority today. Many still believe in his talent, now it is up to Pjaca to prove to Juventus and Fiorentina, that they were wrong.

Emanuele Tramacere. Translated by Nikita Fesyukov

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/exclusive-pjaca-can-return-to-juventus-right-away-with-fulham-an-66195

WhiteJC

Ranieri makes 'express request' for signing, but Watford and West Ham now rivalling Fulham

If the Italian media are to be believed, there's a great deal of interest in Gregoire Defrel.

Several sources have been reporting a supposed chase and there's been claims of contact and even offers.

On Saturday, Corriere dello Sport reported that Claudio Ranieri has made an 'express request' of Fulham to sign the AS Roma owned player, but they point out West Ham and Watford are also keen and will be competition.

On loan at Sampdoria, Defrel has scored six Serie A goals so far this season, and the last one of those came at the beginning of November, so the widespread interest seems curious.

Corriere dello Sport believe Roma cutting that loan short and selling the player could bring 'a substantial chunk of treasure'.

AC Milan and Atalanta are also presented as interested, but it's pointed out that Sampdoria have no interest in cutting the loan short and the player is happy at the Genoa club.

Fulham, Watford and West Ham seem to be among the favoured clubs for Italian based transfer rumours right now.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/ranieri-makes-express-request-signing-watford-west-ham-now-rivalling-fulham/

WhiteJC

Ranieri will give Fulham's fringe stars a chance to show their quality but won't experiment

The Whites coach admitted he will rotate his side for the visit of Oldham

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has said his side's match with Oldham in the FA Cup third round will be used to give opportunities to those players who have not had the chance to impress him yet.

A number of the squad that helped the Cottagers win promotion to the Premier League have had limited time on the pitch under the Italian and the likes of Kevin McDonald and Stefan Johansen have been linked to Rangers and AC Milan respectively during the transfer window.

The 67-year-old coach has often noted that he has not had a friendly match to truly assess his squad, and despite recently changing to three central defenders said he does not plan to experiment too much on Sunday.

Ranieri said: "No, experiment, no. But I know I have not had the opportunity to make a friendly match, a pre-season match to see all of my players.

"I know there are some good players I don't give the chance because every match I change the line - there is no sense. Then for this match I want to give some rest to the players involved so many times and give the chance to other players who train very well and they deserve to show their best."

The former Leicester coach was coy on who could be rested but did note his first choice goalkeeper Sergio Rico was likely to be rated.

He said: "I watched Sergio Rico when I played against Sevilla, and for me he's a very good goalkeeper. When I came here I didn't want to change so many times – for me, Sergio Rico's the number one here.

"Maybe I can rotate the goalkeeper (on Sunday).

"Tomorrow I do the last training session and then organise in my mind whether I'd prefer to give a rest, who's on the bench, who starts. Always the day before, after the last training session, I organise in my mind the team."

While many might consider the match against the League 2 Latics to a perfect chance for youth to gain some experience with the first team, it's unclear whether Ranieri will consider giving an opportunity to the likes of Matt O'Riley and Steven Sessegnon.

The Premier League title winner intends to respect and not snub the competition, even if the Premier League remains his clear priority.

He said: "No, because for me the FA Cup is a very good competition, and we want to do well, but of course, between the FA Cup and Premier League, we have to say at this moment the Premier League is more important. But that doesn't mean we go there to make a friendly match – it's an FA Cup match and we want to win.

"Now it is not important young players or old players or experienced players. Now it is important to fight together. It is not important the age of the players."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/ranieri-give-fulhams-fringe-stars-15630737

WhiteJC

Sergio Rico is Fulham's first-choice goalkeeper, says Claudio Ranieri

Claudio Ranieri has told Sergio Rico his position as Fulham's first-choice goalkeeper is his to keep.

The 25-year-old arrived in the summer on a season-long loan from Sevilla, but until Ranieri's appointment in November was rotated by Slavisa Jokanovic as Fabri and Marcus Bettinelli - who earned calls to the England squad - were also used.

Under Ranieri, and with Rico in goal, Fulham have demonstrated signs of improvement that could yet lead to them securing Premier League survival.

"I watched Sergio Rico when I played against Sevilla [with Leicester], and for me he's a very good goalkeeper," said Ranieri ahead of Sunday's FA Cup tie against Oldham.

"When I came here I didn't want to change so many times - for me, Sergio Rico's the number one.

"I have not had the opportunity to make a friendly match, a pre-season match to see all of my players. There are some good players I don't give the chance [to yet].

"Then for this match I want to give some rest to the players involved so many times and give the chance to other players who train very well and they deserve to show their best.

"Maybe I can [also] rotate the goalkeeper [on Sunday]."

After Oldham, Fulham will visit relegation rivals Burnley in the Premier League, when victory will be essential in their attempts to climb out of the bottom three.

"The FA Cup is a very good competition, but we have to say at this moment the Premier League is more important," Ranieiri added.

"But that doesn't mean we go there to make a friendly match; it's an FA Cup match and we want to win.

"It could [help our league ambitions]. When you win, everything is better."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11599543/sergio-rico-is-fulhams-first-choice-goalkeeper-says-claudio-ranieri

WhiteJC

Chelsea & Fulham fans say the same thing after Gary Cahill is left out of squad for FA Cup clash

The 33-year-old may have played his last game for the Blues

He might be the club captain but Gary Cahill was not named in the Chelsea squad for the FA Cup tie with Nottingham Forest this afternoon.

The 33-year-old may well have played his last game for the Blues as he is set to leave the club and join Fulham on loan for the rest of the season.

For that to happen, Fulham need to send back one of their current loanees to their parent club, which is likely to be Timothy Fosu-Mensah who has fallen down the pecking order at Craven Cottage.

Sitting bottom of the Premier League table, Claudio Ranieri's side are in desperate need of some defensive solidity and Cahill might be able to provide that.

Cahill has been with the Blues for seven years, helping them clinch the Champions League, Europa League, two Premier Leagues, an FA Cup and a League Cup.

The defender not playing means there is no danger of him being cup-tied for Fulham in the rest of the competition, and his omission has convinced fans he is on his way out.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/gary-cahill-chelsea-fulham-transfer-15634349

WhiteJC

Cup Offer

Get ready for a weekend of Cup action with an exclusive offer on Home & Away Shirts!

Available until midnight on Sunday 6th January, pick up any 2018/19 Home or Away Shirt online or instore and enjoy £10 off.

In addition, fans can complete the look with free shirt printing also available this weekend.

Pick up your new strip today online or from the Stadium Store.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/05/cup-offer

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon on his love for Liverpool and idolising Steven Gerrard

Highly-rated youngster has made no secret of his Reds' admiration

Trent Alexander-Arnold of Liverpool competes with Ryan Sessegnon of Fulham
(Image: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

Ryan Sessegnon has spoken of his love for Liverpool and growing up idolising Reds great Steven Gerrard.

The 18-year-old England under-21 international is one of the most highly-rated teenagers in the Premier League having helped Fulham to promotion last season.

Although the Cottagers have struggled this campaign, Sessegnon has been a regular and has scored once and assisted two goals in his last three games.

Liverpool were interested in signing the player 18 months ago only to cool their interest and instead turn their focus on snapping up Andy Robertson from left-back.

But, speaking on the third episode of BT Sport's What I Wore series, Sessegnon has shown no sign his admiration for the Reds has been diminished.

"I remember watching videos of Gerrard number 17, there was one goal I remember that he scored against Everton at Goodison Park (in 2001/02)," said the Fulham left-sided player.

"It was a screamer, a right-footed shot. That's why I remember this kit."

Asked if he had a favourite Liverpool kit, Sessegnon added: "Yeah, I did. It was this one (the 2008/09 kit). Where did I wear it? Near my house to play football.

"I always supported Liverpool so my dad bought me the Gerrard top, he was my favourite player."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-ryan-sessegnon-love-liverpool-15635153

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: The Player Ratings Show Plus Much More
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

During the show, co-hosts Yannis Tjanetis and Max Cohen, who was at the Arsenal match, shared their ratings for the Fulham players.

However, to start the show, we discussed several topics in the Cottage Talk Roundtable, which included our top 3 positionial needs for Fulham in the Transfer Window, our thoughts on the Gary Cahill speculation, and the links to some Fulham players potentially leaving the club. On top of that, to end the show we previewed the upcoming FA Cup match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/1/5/18169824/cottage-talk-the-player-ratings-show-plus-much-more

WhiteJC

Report: West Ham readying another bid for Tom Cairney

West Ham United are reportedly planning another move for Tom Cairney, but will need £25 million to get a deal done.

According to a report from The Sun (05/01; page 63), West Ham are planning another bid for Tom Cairney, but they will have to spend £25 million if they hope to sign the Fulham star.

The Hammers have been linked with Cairney previously. The Sun reports that David Moyes hoped to bring the 27-year-old to the London Stadium, but offers of £15 million and £18 million were rejected as the Cottagers looked to get promoted out of the Championship. Cairney, of course, would go on to score the goal that sent Fulham up.

The Sun (05/01; page 63) reports that the Irons are now looking at a fresh move for the Scotland international. However, a bid of around £25 million will be required to get a deal done with Fulham determined to keep hold of the attacking midfielder.

It has not been the best season for Cairney, with no goals and just one assist coming in the Premier League this term. He is unquestionably an excellent player with a wonderful passing range.

West Ham have a lot of quality in the attacking areas of the pitch and have the likes of Manuel Lanzini to come back from injury and bolster those options further.

Spending £25 million on Cairney seems to be a potential risk. But if Manuel Pellegrini can get the very best out of the playmaker, if he does make a move, then that fee could quickly begin to look like a real bargain for the Irons.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/05/report-west-ham-readying-another-bid-for-tom-cairney/

WhiteJC

After a year of turmoil, Oldham are keen to inflict some pain elsewhere as they take on Fulham in the FA Cup

Oldham Athletic owner, Abdallah Lemsagam Credit: rex

Seven miles from Manchester City's Etihad Stadium, another club under Arabic stewardship feel as if they are on another planet. Fans of Oldham Athletic, one of the founding members of the Premier League, are recovering from their worst 12 months in living memory.

While City face a potential Champions League ban over allegedly excessive expenditure, the Latics have been fighting simply for financial survival in recent years. The club's trip to Fulham on Sunday in the FA Cup is a welcome reprieve after managerial upheavals, player protests and relegation to the fourth tier for the first time since 1971.

The Dubai-based Moroccan Abdallah Lemsagam, a former agent, completed a protracted takeover last January, and remains a divisive figure, despite back-to-back wins since sacking the club's manager on Boxing Day. A year ago, Oldham had been late paying player salaries for three months consecutively. Lemsagam has since bailed the club out repeatedly as the they faced winding-up petitions brought by HM Revenue and Customs.

To pass fit and proper tests at the EFL, Lemsagam was required to stop working as an agent. Before taking full control of the club, he abandoned his work with the agency Sport2JLT whose clients included former Portsmouth and AC Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari and striker Afonso Alves, formerly of Middlesbrough. But his network of contacts may explain some surprise signings during his takeover at Boundary Park

Midfielder Mohamed Maouche was reportedly handed a £4,000-a-week deal before playing 10 minutes of League One football. Queensy Menig, a Dutch Under-21 winger who joined on loan from French club Nantes, was said to have been paid around £11,650 a week, before departing after four starts and one goal. "I wanted to give the fans a present, to make them dream," Lemsagam told The Daily Mail at the time.

Last year, Oldham's wage budget is said to have spiralled from around £1.4 million to approaching £2.4m, yet the club still finished 17th in League One. As the new season dawned, Lemsagam bought supporters scarves and promised fortunes would improve.

Delivering his version of events, he said in a statement: "When I first came in, a lot of creditors who had not been paid by the previous regime issued court proceedings and winding-up orders. After a long process, there are now no remaining winding-up procedures and we are working hard to clear the final old debts that the club is responsible for. In particular, there are no longer debts owing to HMRC.

"It became clear quickly that the club could not continue the way it had been running: borrowing money from one person to pay another and selling off future assets, leaving a black hole for the future."

To comply with financial fair play rules, he has had to slash the club's budget in League Two. Craig Davies, a striker who now plays for Mansfield, was among those to leave, launching a blistering attack on the owner. "With all the good at the club, I wish it well in an unclear future because I can honestly say in the 14 years I've been a professional footballer, I've never worked for someone that thinks it's acceptable to treat his staff and players in such a bad way," Davies told the Manchester Evening News.

Frankie Bunn, who scored six goals in one match and played for Oldham at Wembley, took charge over the summer but after Boxing Day's 6-0 drubbing at Carlisle United, he was sacked. He reportedly received the news via email with the club sitting 12th in League Two.

Since then, caretaker manager Pete Wild, an academy coach, has steered the club to back-to-back league wins against Notts County and Port Vale.

But he has been told he is only guaranteed to stay in charge of the side at Craven Cottage. The current favourites for the job are Steven Pressley and John Askey.

"Whoever comes in can guarantee a very busy 2019," said one supporter. "Lemsagam is Mr Busy – he would keep Sir Alex Ferguson on his toes."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/05/year-turmoil-oldham-keen-inflict-pain-elsewhere-take-fulham/

WhiteJC

Leeds should stay away from Fulham outcast Fabri in January

According to sources from Turkey featured in a report by Leeds Live, Leeds United are interested in signing Fulham goalkeeper Fabri in January.

Yet Leeds should steer clear of the Spanish goalkeeper, whose introduction into English football has been massively disappointing.

Signed from Besiktas in the summer, Fabri arrived in southwest London with an impressive resume. With copious Champions League experience and success in Turkey, the goalkeeper beat out Marcus Bettinelli and Sergio Rico to the number one spot to begin the Premier League season.

Yet Fabri's stint as the Whites's starting goalkeeper lasted just two matches.

In his debut against Crystal Palace, he was easily beaten at his near post for the Eagles' first goal, and then conceded a horrific goal after errantly dashing off his line. Against Tottenham next weekend, Fabri was unconvincing between the sticks and dropped numerous crosses during a 3-1 defeat.

After that, Fabri was dropped in favour of Bettinelli, and the goalkeeper hasn't played another match since.

Due to Fabri's difficulties adapting to English football and shaky early displays, it would be a mistake for Leeds United to waste their money tempting the Spanish goalkeeper to Elland Road.

https://tbrfootball.com/leeds-should-stay-away-from-fulham-outcast-fabri-in-january/

WhiteJC

Report: West Brom want Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen on loan

West Bromwich Albion are reportedly hoping to sign the Premier League midfielder on loan during the January transfer window.

West Brom are eyeing a January loan bid for Fulham midfielder Stefan Johansen, according to a report from The Sun (05/01; page 63), as Darren Moore continues to make a lively start to the window at The Hawthorns.

The Baggies have already signed Mason Holgate on loan from Everton for the rest of the season, while Oliver Burke has headed out the exit, having joined Celtic until the summer.

And The Sun (05/01; page 63) is now reporting Johansen is on West Brom's radar as they look to keep themselves in the promotion hunt in the Championship, with a loan bid being considered.

The Express and Star recently reported that a new midfielder was Moore's priority during the remaining weeks of the window, and it appears that he may have found one key target who could fill that void.

Johansen has endured a difficult season in the Premier League. He has made 12 appearances this term, but has started just four times. But the former Celtic man was superb during Fulham's promotion-winning campaign last year.

Johansen scored eight goals and provided nine assists in 48 appearances as Fulham went on to win at Wembley. Anything like that sort of return, if he ends up moving to West Brom for the second-half of the season, would surely leave the Baggies in pole position to secure promotion at the first time of asking.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/05/report-west-brom-want-fulham-midfielder-stefan-johansen-on-loan/

WhiteJC

Rangers-linked Kevin McDonald reportedly wanted by Blackburn

Glasgow Rangers will reportedly have to see off competition if they hope to complete a deal to bring Kevin McDonald to Ibrox.

Football London reported this week that Rangers hope to bring Kevin McDonald to Ibrox during the January transfer window, and preliminary discussions have taken place about a deal. But, judging by reports from The Sun (05/01; page 63), the Gers will now have to see off competition if they want to sign the 30-year-old.

The Sun suggests that Blackburn are keen on McDonald, who has made 10 appearances in the Premier League this season after playing 90 league games across their previous two Championship campaigns.

Football London reported that Fulham had held preliminary discussions over a potential move away from Craven Cottage for McDonald, with Rangers keen on signing the former Dundee trainee.

The Sun (05/01; page 63) is now claiming that Blackburn are hoping to loan McDonald as Tony Mowbray's men look to get themselves back in the play-off hunt in the second tier.

Rovers sit nine points off the top six in the division, but arguably have the potential to close that gap over the remaining months of the campaign, and a deal for McDonald would boost those chances.

But with the Evening Times reporting that Rangers are close to January moves for Steven Davis and Jermain Defoe, as well as pre-contract deals for Jordan Jones and Glen Kamara, it would not be a surprise if McDonald felt extremely tempted by the opportunity to join Steven Gerrard's side.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/05/rangers-linked-kevin-mcdonald-reportedly-wanted-by-blackburn/

WhiteJC

The fan who became the manager! Oldham's Pete Wild aims to topple Fulham just 10 days after appointment

Oldham will be looking for an upset against Fulham in the FA Cup third round
    Pete Wild has suddenly gone from looking after the youth team to the first team
    Oldham have had difficulties recently, but are looking for some FA Cup magic

Pete Wild was supposed to be on Sunday's 8.20am Virgin train from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston with his fellow Oldham Athletic-supporting pals, tins of beer flowing en route to Craven Cottage where the League Two club face Premier League Fulham on Sunday afternoon.

Instead, the 33–year-old local lad will already be in the capital, putting the final touches to Oldham's preparations before, at about 1.50pm, delivering his team talk and heading to the dugout as Latics caretaker manager to pit his wits against Claudio Ranieri.

'It's Oldham in the FA Cup, Fulham away! I've never been to Fulham and five of my pals were going so it was going to be a good day out. I've got a bit of a different role to do now,' says Wild in the middle of a hectic week which has seen him go from looking after the youth team to the first team.

Pete Wild has only been Oldham manager for 10 days, but is already looking for an FA Cup win

Oldham will be facing off against Fulham in the FA Cup third round, and hoping for a victory

Oldham are currently sitting 10th in League Two, but may fancy their chances of an upset

Wild, an amateur footballer who took up coaching at 18 when he realised he would not make it as a pro, got the call after the sacking of Frankie Bunn after a 6-0 defeat at Carlisle United on Boxing Day. He essentially had a day to plan for the next match, away at Port Vale, less than 48 hours later.

'The players were off and so first I had to try and find some help because I couldn't do this on my own,' says Wild who 'didn't think twice' about accepting the offer.

He tweaked a couple of tactical details, but it was a message that could only have been delivered by someone who understands life in the much-maligned Lancashire town which stood out.

'For me, it was about giving something back to the supporters,' he says. 'One thing this club does have is fans who travel in numbers wherever we are in the league. I broke down the financial side of it with the players and put how much the fans had spent travelling to see. People work hard for their money here and as long as the players work hard they will forgive everything. If they don't, they will be on your case.'

It worked. Oldham thumped Vale 4-1 before Notts County arrived on January 1. For Wild, who has tree chopping, digging holes and running pubs on his CV, leading the team at Boundary Park was special. 'My first game was New Year's Day 1991 with my dad,' he says. 'Newcastle at home. A 1-1 draw. Mick Quinn for them and a Mark Stimson own goal for us.'

Fulham have been struggling in the Premier League, sitting 19th, just clear of Huddersfield

A 2-0 victory over the Magpies of Notts put Oldham five points off the play-offs before this weekend's big day out. Aside from six points, Wild has also managed to pick up morale during another turbulent period in the club's history.

Bunn's sacking, delivered via email, was the latest low since relegation from the Premier League in 1994. Another drop, to the third tier, followed in 1997.

In January, a takeover by Dubai-based Moroccan former agent Abdallah Lemsagam was completed, but if there is a plan it is safe to say that things have not been building towards it.

In May, Oldham were relegated to the bottom tier. The summer saw a huge and often ruthless slashing of the wage bill, with manager Richie Wellens among those sacked. Wild was promoted to academy manager after looking after the 12 to 16-year-olds following the suspension of Tony Philliskirk. An FA investigation, requested by Oldham, found Philliskirk not guilty of bullying.

Later this year a number of ex-staff are due to take on Oldham at employment tribunals. On various occasions wages have not been paid on time. While Bunn could not be reached for comment, it is thought his departure was triggered amid allegations of interference in team selection from above. Bunn's No 2, Andy Rhodes, was sacked just before the team bus was due to set off for an away match. One insider claims Bunn only found out when he was sat on the bus and texted to ask his pal where he was.

After the sacking of Rhodes, it emerged staff had been told that the club had not paid their pension contributions for six months. Lemsagam then reaffirmed his commitment to the club and said wages would not be late again.

The club has not been without its difficulties of late, but the FA Cup can bring along magic

Wild says he has no complaints regarding his dealings with the chairman, but, regardless of what transpires on Sunday, has no interest in taking the role permanently. 'I've only been academy manager for three or four months,' he says. 'I'd like to think in future I'll be ready but just not at the moment.'

When we finish speaking Wild heads to a care home to see his dad, also named Pete. 'He's 69 and unfortunately not very well,' he says. 'He was a pub landlord and a bit of a legend around here — he ran the first disco pub in Oldham. I'll tell him that I'm the manager but I'm not sure he'll be able to get his head around it, unfortunately.'

You get the impression that Pete Wild Sr would be proud regardless of what transpires on Sunday. His son just wants maximum effort. 'All I am bothered about is us being the best version of us. If we are then win, lose or draw we can go to the fans at the end and go "listen, we gave you everything".'

Before we end, there is time for a last question — has Wild put in for a refund for his train ticket yet? 'I haven't,' he says. 'My pals have told me they will stand the cost of it. Although having said that, if we get beat I might end up having to cough up!'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6560957/Oldhams-Pete-Wild-aims-topple-Fulham-just-10-days-joining.html

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri hopes the January transfer window will offer motivation to rotated Fulham side

The Cottagers coach seems to be using the FA Cup to put players in the shop window

It seems Claudio Ranieri is using Sunday's FA Cup third round match to put to Fulham's second string players in the shop window as transfer season ramps up.

The likes of Stefan Johansen and Kevin McDonald have already been linked with moves away in January, which reports suggesting that AC Milan and Rangers could come in for each player respectively.

Speaking ahead of the game with Oldham the Italian acknowledged he would rotate his side but wasn't too concerned where his players believed their chance this weekend was an opportunity to break into the first team, suggesting the team had plenty of other motivation to play well.

The ex-Leicester City boss said: "I think, we are also speaking about the transfer market, no? The player who doesn't play maybe wants to go to play. If you show a good performance maybe somebody can remember you, then that is good for Fulham and good for the players. For this reason they must be very motivated for their best."

Ranieri has said that the club will act if a chance to sign a player arises but refused to divulge any information on transfers in his pre-match press conference on Friday.

The 67-year-old noted he knew nothing about the prospect of his side signing Gary Cahill and believes his squad has the ability to stave of relegation due to the progress they have shown.

The Whites have picked up nine points under the tutelage of Ranieri across nine games, but did keep their first two clean sheets of the season during December.

Ranieri said: "Yes, everyday the players train very well, every day we improve, every match we improve. Of course if you see the goals we conceded, no but the last matches we play well and we have to continue this way. I am feeling confident."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-transfer-news-claudio-ranieri-15635089

WhiteJC

Aston Villa would be foolish to repeat Fulham and Crystal Palace's Timothy Fosu-Mensah mistake

Reports in the Daily Mail have linked Manchester United right back Timothy Fosu-Mensah with a loan move to Aston Villa in January.

The Championship club must not repeat Fulham and Crystal Palace's mistake by signing the Dutch youngster on loan, as Fosu-Mensah is an inconsistent and haphazard defender.

Currently plying his trade for Fulham, Fosu-Mensah has been allowed to return to his parent club after Claudio Ranieri publicly gave his approval.

The 21-year-old failed to nail down a starting place in SW6, turning in underwhelming performances that were characterised by defensive errors. Always keen to give away needless fouls and dive into the tackle, Fosu-Mensah ended up being replaced in the starting lineup by Denis Odoi and later Cyrus Christie, two defenders with no Premier League experience.

Fulham recently shifted to a back five formation with attacking wingbacks, with Fosu-Mensah brought on against Arsenal in a bid to see what the loanee could do in a more forward position.

Despite his pace and ambition to get up the wings, Fosu-Mensah produced an abysmal substitute display on New Year's Day, with Fulham constantly getting found out on his right side.

A similar pattern of poor play occurred during Fosu-Mensah's spell at Selhurst Park last season, when the defender lost his place to Aaron Wan-Bissaka and barely featured during the second half of the campaign.

Although a step down to the Championship may be a better level of competition for the Manchester United man, Aston Villa would be foolish to expect solid defensive play out of Timothy Fosu-Mensah.

https://tbrfootball.com/aston-villa-would-be-foolish-to-repeat-fulham-and-crystal-palaces-timothy-fosu-mensah-mistake/

WhiteJC

Fulham reportedly ready to pay £15m for Wolves target Divock Origi

Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham are reportedly interested in Divock Origi of Liverpool.

Fulham are ready to pay £15 million to sign Divock Origi from Liverpool in the January transfer window, according to The Sun.

It has been reported that Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri hopes to agree a fee with Liverpool regarding the signing of Origi this week.

The report has claimed that the Reds will allow the 23-year-old striker to leave in January if they get the right transfer fee.

Competition for Wolverhampton Wanderers

The Mirror reported in November of Wolverhampton Wanderers' interest in Origi, who is struggling for playing time at Liverpool at the moment.

It was claimed that Wolves were lining up a £20 million offer for the Belgium international striker - who earns £28,000 per week as salary, according to Spotrac.com.

With Fulham now reportedly hoping to agree a deal with Liverpool for Origi this month, it seems that Wolves are facing competition for the former Lille striker.

Although Origi is a promising young striker, he has failed to do much of note in the Premier League so far and could be a risky signing for relegation-threatened Fulham.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/06/fulham-reportedly-ready-to-pay-15m-for-wolves-target-divock-orig/

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 06, 2019, 07:11:44 AM

Nathaniel Clyne's loan decision is a massive blow for relegation rivals Fulham and Cardiff

Liverpool defender Nathaniel Clyne secured a loan move to Bournemouth on Friday, completing his switch to the Cherries at the same time as Dominic Solanke arrived at the club.

Although the two Liverpool arrivals were excellent news for Bournemouth, Premier League strugglers Cardiff City and Fulham were dealt a massive blow after missing out on Clyne.

Earlier reports had linked the two newly-promoted clubs with securing the right back on loan, a transfer that would have added much-needed top-flight experience to their respective backlines.

Clyne has a wealth of Premier League success from his time at Southampton and Liverpool, racking up over 170 top-flight appearances and 14 caps for England.

At 27 years of age, the defender also is in the prime of his career, able to offer his maximum capacities while on loan.

Fulham infamously sport the leakiest defence in the division, and Clyne would have represented a significant upgrade over Cyrus Christie, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, and Denis Odoi on the right.

In addition, Cardiff remain precariously close to the relegation places and have conceded the third-most goals in the league.

Both relegation-threatened sides would have seen an improvement in their defensive records with the addition of Nathaniel Clyne, but the right back's decision to join ambitious Bournemouth strikes a blow to their survival hopes.

https://tbrfootball.com/nathaniel-clynes-loan-decision-is-a-massive-blow-for-relegation-rivals-fulham-and-cardiff/

Apparently we were never in for him

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: FA Cup Third Round vs. Oldham Athletic
Yay! Something to Distract Us from the Premier League

So now that the heavy fixture period is over, Fulham can (sort of) relax a bit as they should be able to stroll through an easy victory in tomorrow's FA Cup fixture. However, don't tell Claudio Ranieri and the players that this contest is nothing short of a cakewalk. For starts, this is the FA Cup we're talking about. This is the competition where some of the dumbest things imaginable happen and it's not like top tier Premier League clubs take this competition all that seriously.

My greatest memory of said example was Havant & Waterlooville making it all the way to the fourth round of the competition only to lose 5-2 to Liverpool. Still, that had to be one of the best days in club history as they're prize money for making it this far had to have been so much more valuable to them in relation to what the likes of Fulham. Should I remind everyone that these boys lost to Bristol Rovers last year in the League Cup last season? So yeah, any cup competition is downright dumb.

Even so, this is probably one of the last chances for the starters to rest and for Claudio Ranieri to experiment before the final push towards Premier League safety. Along with that, this has been deemed the last chance for players to make a mark in the manager's plans as some might be expected to leave in the January transfer window. If anything, this fixture might be a showcase for those who are expected to be shown the door. Either way, let us hope that he gives the academy players a chance, just like Slavisa Jokanovic did during his time as manager as well.

On the other side of the coin, Oldham Athletic will be arriving at Craven Cottage while currently sitting tenth in League Two. This is still foreign territory for the Latics as this is only their second season in this division since 1971 after usually being a second or third tier football club. There is some stability at the club after years of financial turmoil at Boundary Park, but there still seems to be no end in site of returning to the standards that the supporters are so accustomed to. So with a playoff place looking like a difficult proposition, and a 6-0 defeat to Carlisle to boot, Frank Bunn was sacked as manager after only being on the job for six months. A permanent replacement still hasn't been found, but Academy coach Pete Wild will be in the dugout until further notice.

So those are the contrasts between the two sides and Oldham are a major reminder that things could be worse for Fulham. Still, the Latics are a professional outfit and respecting the opposition is the only way a win will be guaranteed today. On that note, here are three players to watch for coming from Greater Manchester.

Sam Surridge

First up is the leading scorer for the club who just so happens to be a 20-year old loanee from AFC Bournemouth If anything, Surridge has been a true success in just his second full season of EFL football. As soon as he arrived, he became one of the leading scorers in the division and is now rumored to continue his loan spell at League One outfit Bradford City before it is all said and done. Who knows if he'll play up front in the Cherry and Whites, but Surridge has made a positive start in his development and there will surely be someone that will give him plenty of playing time and opportunities to score for years to come.

Chris O'Grady

Next up is another striker playing for Oldham and having a fine first half to the season. Unlike Surridge, Chris O'Grady is a 32-year old journeyman with well over 500 appearances throughout his professional career. In fact, this is his second stint at Oldham Athletic after taking part with 17 other football clubs beforehand. He may have six goals now, but the last great season O'Grady has produced was his 15 league goals for Championship outfit Barnsley back in the 2013/14 season. If anything, O'Grady is nore known for being a target man. So he will hope to link up well with the rest of Oldham's attacking players and hope they capitalize from the hard shifts he put in every matchday. Yeah, Fulham's backline will be on the lookout for this man whenever long balls get aimed directly towards him.

George Edmondson

Lastly, it is never a bad idea to point out one of the younger players on the team in hopes they will achieve bigger and better things along the way. In this case, center back George Edmondson is having a solid age-21 season for Oldham. After finally getting game time for them after graduating from their academy last season, he has played in every league game and has established himself as a a regular for the club. If anything, it's good to see the Timperley-born man live his dream as his hometown is just 30 minutes away from Boundary Park.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/1/6/18170481/three-players-to-watch-fa-cup-third-round-vs-oldham-athletic