more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (06/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 06, 2019, 07:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham team news vs Oldham: Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli set for rare start

International call: Bettinelli was named in the England squad in September ( Getty Images )

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli is set to be handed a rare start against Oldham on Sunday, as Claudio Ranieri prepares to make sweeping changes in the FA Cup.

Bettinelli, 26, has not played since he was dropped following the 4-2 defeat at Cardiff in October, with Sergio Rico taking his place in the side.

It has been a difficult period for Bettinelli, who earned a call-up to the England squad in September after a strong start to the season.

Rico, who is on loan from Sevilla, is now the Fulham No1 so Bettinelli's opportunities look set to be limited in the Premier League.

Ranieri is focused on the battle for survival in the Premier League and the Italian is set to rest key players such  as Aleksandar Mitrovic and Ryan  Sessegnon against Oldham, who are 10th in League Two.

Calum Chambers is available for  Fulham after he was ineligible to face his parent club Arsenal on New Year's Day. Alfie Mawson is still struggling with a knee injury.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-team-news-vs-oldham-goalkeeper-marcus-bettinelli-set-for-rare-start-a4031401.html

WhiteJC

Transfer gossip: Whites reportedly eyeing deal for Liverpool striker

Fulham want Liverpool striker Divock Origi, according to The Sun on Sunday.

Whites boss Claudio Ranieri is said to be keen to take Origi, 23, to Craven Cottage.

By West London Sport 06/01/2019

The transfer stories in Sunday's newspapers involving the area's clubs...
Embed from Getty Images

Fulham want Liverpool striker Divock Origi, according to The Sun on Sunday.

Whites boss Claudio Ranieri is said to be keen to take Origi, 23, to Craven Cottage.

The Sun on Sunday say Ranieri hopes to land him in a £15m deal.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-fulham-liverpool-divock-origi-linked

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW: Fulham vs. Oldham Athletic

Oldham Athletic travel to Premier League side Fulham today in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup (2pm).

Latics have overcome non-league sides Hampton & Richmond Borough and Maidstone United to reach this stage of the competition whereas Fulham as a Premier League side don't come into the Emirates FA Cup until the third round.

Caretaker manager Pete Wild will be taking the team once again and he believes his side have a chance of causing the cup upset.

"Of course, we can get the upset, why would we bother going if we didn't think we could win the game." He said.

"It's 11v11 at the end of the day and we've got a great history of cup upsets.

"We've got to go down there with the mindset that we're going to cause an upset and if we can do then it'll be fantastic."

Wild has overseen two victories so far in his two games in caretaker charge with the squad going into the game full of confidence they can pull off a victory.

Latics still have several injuries within the squad, but Wild put to bed a few rumours by confirming Sam Surridge, Jordan Lyden and Callum Lang will all be available.

New signing Mohamed Sylla could also be involved in the matchday squad.

Fulham currently sit 19th in the Premier League with Claudio Ranieri taking over from Slaviša Jokanović as manager earlier in the season.

Fulham have picked up nine points since Ranieri was appointed as manager on November 14 and a cup run may provide a confidence boost in their relegation battle.

Fulham were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup in the third-round last season after losing to Southampton.

Ranieri will be without defender Alfie Mawson when Latics travel on Sunday as he is just started rehabilitation for his recent injury.

Being a cup tie, Fulham may rotate their squad around, but whoever they play will provide a tough test for Latics.

Oldham Athletic are priced at 15/2 to beat Fulham.

Sam Rosbottom and Roy Butterworth will be on commentary on iFollow Latics for supporters who cannot make the game.

To subscribe to the iFollow Latics click this link.

Alternatively, supporters can follow the game with live updates on the club's official Twitter account: @OfficialOAFC.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/january/06012019-match-preview/

WhiteJC

Fulham team news: Ranieri to make changes; key man may return to squad

Fulham will be looking to progress to the next round of the FA Cup when they host Oldham Athletic at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

The Cottagers have been struggling this season in the Premier League and were on the wrong end of a 4-1 defeat to Arsenal at the weekend.

However, Claudio Ranieri will want to see his side use the match against the League Two outfit as an opportunity to restore some confidence.

And, according to a match preview by Sky Sports, the Italian manager is ready to give some of his fringe men at Fulham a chance to feature in the tie.

However, it would appear that one man could be set to make a swift return to the starting line-up.

Calum Chambers missed the game against Arsenal at the weekend due to loan restrictions.

The defender has featured prominently for the Cottagers this season and his availability will come at a timely boost for Ranieri.

Alfie Mawson is thought to miss the game with a knee injury as he continues to struggle to make an impact in west London following his summer move from Swansea City.

A win against the Boundary Park outfit could do wonders for the Premier League side's confidence and a cup run could be exactly what they need to start putting results together.

Fulham currently remain four points from safety in the top-flight and will meet fellow strugglers Burnley next weekend.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/fulham-team-news-ranieri-to-make-changes-key-man-may-return-to-squad/

WhiteJC

Pay On The Gate

Junior tickets are just £1 for Fulham's Emirates FA Cup Third Round tie against Oldham Athletic.

Join us at Craven Cottage this afternoon - kick-off 2pm - as Claudio Ranieri's side begin their FA Cup journey.

Junior supporters can watch the action from as little £1, with adult tickets available from just £10.

Supporters can purchase tickets online now or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office. Cash turnstiles will also be in operation, with tickets available to buy in all areas of the ground.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/06/pay-on-the-gate

WhiteJC

Aston Villa fans react to Fosu-Mensah reports

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri has revealed that Timothy Fosu-Mensah is free to return to Manchester United during the January transfer window.

Fosu-Mensah joined Fulham on loan from United during the summer, but has struggled to establish himself with the Cottagers.

Ranieri told reporters that Fosu-Mensah could return to United this month with the view to potentially joining another club on loan for the rest of the season.

According to the Daily Mail, Aston Villa are interested in a deal for the 21-year-old.

Fosu-Mensah has actually played 21 times for United's first team, whilst he made 21 Premier League appearances during a loan spell at Crystal Palace last season.

There is no question that Fosu-Mensah, who is a three-time Netherlands international, could be an asset to a Championship club, although not all of the Villa fans are convinced when it comes to this particular deal.

https://www.footballfancast.com/championship/aston-villa/aston-villa-fans-react-to-fosu-mensah-reports

WhiteJC

Chelsea Defender's Transfer Gives Solskjaer an Extra Option

Churchill once noted: "Never in the history of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few," had the wartime leader been around today and stood on the Stretford End, he may well have opined: "never in the history of Manchester United has one player been loved by so many, for so few games."  As is the case with Timothy Fosu-Mensah.

Ask almost any United fan what they think of the 21 year-old Dutchman and the comments will range from adulatory to downright worshipful such is the high esteem the youngster is held by much of the faithful. When Jose Mourinho sent TFM – as he's known to the Twitterati – out on loan first to Crystal Palace then to Fulham it was as though the then Reds' manager had ripped up the United Trinity statue and replaced it with a fibreglass effigy of Michael Jackson, Cha'mone, muthaf*cka.

Jose's lack of belief in Fosu-Mensah was put down to the manager's lack of belief in youth rather than any lack of talent or consistency from the defender. Despite a difficult season for the Eagles as they set an unwanted record of no points from their first seven games, Fosu-Mensah did play his part in keeping Palace in the top flight, starting 17 games and being praised for his performances.

When Palace managed an unlikely 0-0 at home to all-conquering Manchester City it was TFM who received much of the plaudits, even being labeled the 'toughest defender' he has faced by Leroy Sane. In the summer there was hope among many United fans that the defender would be given a chance this season but Mourinho decided to loan him out to Fulham, a move that despite being unpopular seems somewhat justified as Fosu-Mensah has been told he can now leave Craven Cottage by new manager Claudio Raneiri to make room for January target, Chelsea's Gary Cahill.

The Fulham boss noted:
"I don't know, if United want him, he can go because with me he does not play often and I understand he is young he needs to play. This moment for me is very, very important to achieve our goal. Our goal now is to save Fulham."

With new United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, seemingly determined to give youth a chance, the return of Fosu-Mensah could be a good move all round, giving Fulham the chance to sign Cahill, TFM the opportunity to resurrect his United career and Reds another reason to get behind the popular Dutchman.

https://redflagflyinghigh.com/2019/01/blogs/chelsea-defenders-transfer-gives-solskjaer-an-extra-option/

WhiteJC

Fulham 'ready to launch £15m bid for Divock Origi' as Claudio Ranieri targets five signings in January

Divock Origi has only made two Premier League appearances this season
    Liverpool have already sold Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth for £19million
    The attack isn't the only area Claudio Ranieri will look to strengthen in January
    The Cottagers are likely to face competition for Origi as Wolves are interested

Fulham are ready to bid £15million to try and lure Divock Origi away from Liverpool.

The Belgium international has only made two Premier League appearances this season which included a freakish last-minute winner in the Merseyside derby.

The Reds have already sold Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth for £19m and loaned out Nathaniel Clyne to the Cherries this month.

Fulham are ready to bid £15million to try and lure striker Divock Origi away from Liverpool

The Belgium international has only made two Premier League appearances this season

Claudio Ranieri is looking to add more firepower to his attack as top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic has only scored once in his last eight league games. 

The Cottagers are likely to face competition for Origi as Wolves were also believed to be interested in the 23-year-old in the summer but a move never materialised.

The attack isn't the only area the Fulham boss will look to strengthen in January, however, as owner Shahid Khan will offer enough funds for Ranieri to strengthen up to five areas according to The Sun.

Owner Shahid Khan will offer enough funds for Claudio Ranieri to strengthen up to five areas

The former Leicester manager is likely to make sweeping changes when they face Oldham in the FA Cup on Sunday as Fulham prioritise trying to stay in the Premier League.

The newly-promoted club have conceded 47 goals this campaign - more than any other team and are four points off safety.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6561983/Fulham-ready-launch-15m-bid-Divock-Origi-Claudio-Ranieri-targets-five-signings.html

WhiteJC

Bettinelli and Sessegnon start as Mitrovic rested - Predicted Fulham team vs Oldham Athletic

Here's how we think the team could start against the League Two side in the third round of the FA Cup

Claudio Ranieri is expected to make a number of changes to his Fulham side for Sunday afternoon's FA Cup third round clash against Oldham Athletic.

While the Premier League is the priority for the Cottagers given they are in danger of heading back to the Championship at the first time of asking, the Italian has indicated that he still wants his side to do well in the famous competition.

However, he revealed in his press conference ahead of the game that he would make changes against the League Two opposition.

"I know there are some good players I don't give the chance because every match I change the line - there is no sense," he said.

"Then for this match I want to give some rest to the players involved so many times and give the chance to other players who train very well and they deserve to show their best."

With a knee injury set to keep Alfie Mawson on the sidelines once again, Sergio Rico, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Tom Cairney look set to be rested ahead of next weekend's game against Burnley.

Stefan Johansen and Bernardo Silva battle for the ball (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)

That means the likes of Stefan Johansen and Kevin McDonald could be handed rare opportunities in the team after falling out of favour, with youngsters Steven Sessegnon and Matt O'Riley also in contention to play.

Predicted Fulham team vs Oldham: Bettinelli; Sessegnon, Odoi, Ream, Bryan; McDonald, Johnasen, O'Riley; Kebano, Ayite, Vietto.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-oldham-team-news-bettinelli-15636264

WhiteJC

Club have agreed personal terms with player, now need to convince Fulham

Milliyet claim Besiktas have reached an agreement with their former goalkeeper Fabri over personal terms and the Turkish club are now looking to convince Fulham over the transfer.

Fabri joined Fulham from Besiktas last summer for a fee believed to be in the region of €6m, but the Spaniard has failed to make his mark since arriving at Craven Cottage, making just Premier League two appearances.

This has led to rumours in the Turkish press he could be set for a quick return to the Super Lig and Milliyet now report Besiktas have reached an agreement with the goalkeeper.

According to Turkish newspaper, Besiktas want to loan Fabri for 18 months but Fulham are only looking to allow him to leave for six months. There have also been recent claims Leeds United are interested signing him in this window as they look to bring in an experienced keeper.

According to Milliyet, an agreement between Besiktas and Fulham is imminent.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-agreed-personal-terms-player-now-need-convince-fulham/

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

Our scoreline on New Year's Day was a little bit harsh, in my opinion. We had a couple of half chances which we could have taken, and on another day we go into half-time 2-0 up. Arsenal are very good going forward but they've got their weaknesses at the back and we could have punished them. But these aren't the games that are going to determine if we're going to stay up or not.

If you could choose who those chances fall to then you'd stick Ryan Sessegnon right near the top of the list, but it's just one of those where things maybe don't go your way when you're down the bottom. But you've got to live with it, and the good thing is that Ryan is always going to get into those positions. Don't forget Ryan made our goal against Huddersfield with a great run and ball. I'm convinced I've never seen anyone as young as him time their runs into the area as well as he does.

Some results in other matches didn't go our way over Christmas, but we've just got to keep picking up points and we've got to see it right through. It's not going to be easy, it's going to be nip and tuck the whole season. But far from being dismayed about the Arsenal result, revel in the fact that we beat Huddersfield.

We were a bit conservative first half of that one so Claudio Ranieri switched things up at the break, and it worked nicely. The change had to be made, and we were a lot more positive in the second half with Tom Cairney pulling the strings in the middle. It was also our second clean sheet in three matches, and I think switching to that back three has helped our defenders. It was a blow to lose Alfie Mawson to injury but I thought Maxime Le Marchand did very well when he came on. It was also great to see Aleksandar Mitrović back on the scoresheet, it's the least he deserves.

I was doing the commentary and the main talking point was the Kamara incident when he grabbed the penalty off Mitro, which was ill-advised. He put pressure on himself to score, but even if Mitro had been able to get the ball off him, that situation would have then put added pressure on Aleks as well. As someone who would take all our free-kicks, it used to drive me mad when people came up to me and asked if they could take it because they "fancy it." I thought, "of course you do but so do I because I'm the free-kick taker and I'm the best striker of a ball at the club."

There's some Premier League respite at the weekend when we welcome Oldham Athletic to Craven Cottage on Sunday in the FA Cup. Because of the position that we're in in the league, I'd be very surprised if Claudio doesn't make a lot of changes. It's a chance to shine for some of the lads who haven't been playing as regularly as they would have liked. It's also an opportunity to boost morale, boost momentum. It doesn't matter what team you put out or who you're playing, wins breed confidence.

I've got some friends of mine coming down from Oldham who have collared me into buying them tickets for the game! I remember when they were a big team under Joe Royle in the Premier League. They were a tough side to play against on their plastic pitch. They've gone right the way down now and find themselves in the bottom tier, so we'll have to guard against complacency, but I fully expect us to progress to the next round.

Get down to the Cottage on Sunday for some FA Cup action, with tickets priced at just £10 for adults and £1 for juniors!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/04/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC