watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (09/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 09, 2019, 07:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chambers won't be back until the summer because Arsenal can't or won't repay Fulham's loan fee

Buddy, can you spare me a number 5?

Loan deals come with certain conditions attached to them. In the light of Arsenal's centre back crisis, many have rightly wondered why the club do not recall Calum Chambers back from Fulham. The reason Arsenal either cannot or do not want to, is apparently because that would involve paying a fee to Fulham for ending Chambers' season-long loan early.

Such a situation would not have been an issue when George Graham was the manager, and here's why, in a story, which dates back to February 1986...

In early 1986, Don Howe's Arsenal were a team whose results never quite matched the sum of their parts. The League Cup offered their best hope of a trophy. They'd reached the quarter-final and drawn 1-1 at Aston Villa. The replay was at Highbury on February 4. But they had a centre back problem. The young Martin Keown had become David O'Leary's regular partner for the past six weeks - but he was cup-tied because he'd played in the competition earlier while on loan to Brighton.

Keown had been on loan to Brighton the previous season and spent a brief spell with them in 1985/6. On Tuesday, October 29, 1985, he'd lined up at right back for Brighton in a 4-0 defeat at Liverpool in the third round.

Tony Adams, the other regular centre back option, was injured. So Arsenal had to turn to Tommy Caton to fill in. They'd got away with it in the second half at Villa, when debut-making goalkeeper Rhys Wilmot made some flying saves. But Caton was on a sharp downhill spiral.

Caton played and was all over the place. Villa won 2-1. Arsenal's season was over. So was Howe's time as manager. Despite David Dein's desperate pursuit of Terry Venables, George became Arsenal boss. One of the first things he did was sit down with Ken Friar to discuss rules for future loans.

They decided three things:
1) No Arsenal loanee could ever play against his parent club (now standard practice)
2) No Arsenal loanee would ever be allowed to play for his 'host' club in any cup competition
3) All Arsenal loanees were subject to 24-hour recall if AFC faced a crisis because of injuries and/or suspensions.

It seems obvious that neither Ivan Gazidis, nor the current Vinai-Raul administration - still recognise these conditions, although the first is now in the Premier League rules anyway.

I suppose the difference with the Fulham situation was that, back in the 1980s, there was no loan fee for players. So although it seems Arsenal can call back Chambers, it is going to cost them to do so, by refunding a portion of Fulham's loan fee.

https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4687

WhiteJC

Jasper: A Big Boost

Sylvester Jasper was happy to contribute a brace and assist to Fulham Under-18s' come back, but insists his main priority is to help his side.

The winger scored a stunning double and laid a goal on a plate for striker Terry Ablade in their 3-3 draw with Aston Villa on Saturday.

The scores remained deadlocked on 50 minutes, before a manic turn of events saw a flurry of second half goals for both sides, in which the Young Whites found themselves 3-1 down.

"I think the boys showed great character and resilience to go and get two goals to get us back into the game." He told fulhamfc.com. "We worked hard but on another day, we win 3-1 or we sneak a goal and lead at the end, but we take the point."

This isn't the first time a youth team has come back from a two-goal deficit in the last week. The Under-23s found themselves two goals down to Middlesbrough on Friday but hauled it back to secure a point.

"As a Club we have great character, the Under-23s showed it on Friday against Boro coming back from two goals down. We don't let our heads drop, we know we have it in us to come back and sometimes win the game. Hopefully we can start better and go on to win these sorts of games."

"My strikes were brilliant today, I haven't scored in the league for a couple of weeks now so it got my confidence back up. I enjoy showing everyone what I can do.

"When anyone scores it gives the whole team a boost rather than just myself. Everyone plays better and creates more chances which we hope can turn into goals.

"A goal is a goal, I don't mind how it goes in as long as it helps us get on the way to picking up points."

The Under-18s will now head off to Germany to compete in the Sparkasse Cup. This is an indoor small sided tournament against a host of big German Clubs.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/08/jasper-post-villa

WhiteJC

Manchester United On Sale

Remaining areas of the ground are now available to purchase for Fulham's Premier League match against Manchester United next month.

Following all seats in block P4 being sold, 18/19 Members now have the opportunity to purchase up to two tickets each in remaining areas of Craven Cottage.

From 10am on Wednesday 9th January, Season Ticket Holders will also be able to purchase up to two tickets each in all areas.

Subject to availablity, from 10am on Thursday 10th January supporters with a booking history will have access to buy (two tickets each). Supporters are advised to check Club channels for regular updates.

Full pricing information can be found here.

Members can buy now online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, by phone on 0208 871 0810 (opt.1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/08/man-united-on-sale-members

WhiteJC

Fulham must resist splashing the cash on Liverpool outcast Divock Origi

Reports in the Sun have linked Fulham with a multimillion pound move for Liverpool striker Divock Origi, with the Whites targeting another goal threat to supplement Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Yet Fulham must avoid spending an exorbitant fee on the Belgian striker, as funds would be much better served supplementing the club's defence and central midfield than on a Liverpool outcast.

Origi made his Liverpool debut in 2015 under Brendan Rodgers, scoring 12 league goals in his first two full seasons at Anfield.

But after a season-long loan spell at Wolfsburg last campaign yielded just six league goals, Origi returned to his parent club and has found opportunities extremely hard to come by.

The striker has played just 72 minutes in the Premier League this year, famously scoring a late Merseyside derby winner in one of his two appearances.

At 23 years of age, there is no doubt Origi has a promising career ahead of him, but he is hardly a player who could lift Fulham out of a relegation battle. Due to his lack of league action this season, combined with an expensive price tag, Fulham should steer clear of the striker in January.

Instead of splashing the cash on a flashy forward, the Whites must first focus on the major problem areas in their side: the backline and the holding midfield positions.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-must-resist-splashing-the-cash-on-liverpool-outcast-divock-origi/

WhiteJC

Ranieri happy for Mitrovic to stay on spot-kick duty after costly miss

Claudio Ranieri has backed Aleksandar Mitrovic to take Fulham's next penalty despite the striker missing from the spot in Sunday's 2-1 FA Cup loss to Oldham.

The Serbian frontman failed to convert a penalty before the League Two side visitors stole a late winner at a stunned Craven Cottage.

The former Newcastle United striker had proved Fulham's hero when netting a last-gasp winner in the 1-0 home victory over Huddersfield Town on December 29.

Aboubakar Kamara defied team orders to take - and miss - a penalty only for Mitrovic to eventually save the day against the Terriers.

Ranieri conceded Mitrovic missing on his very next penalty opportunity proved rotten bad luck - but nothing more.

"I wanted Aleksandar to take the penalty," said Ranieri.

"He's our penalty taker and it was just unfortunate that he missed, especially after what happened previously.

"But I will definitely back him to take the next one. I have no problems with that, or Aleksandar."

Denis Odoi put Fulham ahead after a goalless first half, only for the hosts to fail to wrap up what should have proved a routine victory.

Instead Sam Surridge equalised from a penalty of his own, before Mitrovic failed with his spot-kick.

And then at the death Callum Lang powered home a header to stun Fulham and spark jubilant on-field and touchline celebrations from a delirious Oldham contingent.

A frustrated Ranieri must now pick up his Fulham side for Saturday's crucial Premier League relegation scrap at Burnley.

The Italian handed starting berths to a string of fringe players and will no doubt restore his regular XI at Turf Moor.

"I gave chances to players but they missed the chance," said Ranieri. "I didn't see the passion, or the desire. I only saw passion and desire from Oldham."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/ranieri-happy-for-mitrovic-to-stay-on-spotkick-duty-after-costly-miss-37689487.html

WhiteJC

Club could send player to Fulham as they worry over €20m fee and summer devaluation

Marko Pjaca brought himself to a wider audience with some great flashes for Croatia during Euro 2016. It earned him a move from Dinamo Zagreb to Juventus, but the young attacker has struggled to find his way with the Turin club.

A loan move to Schalke didn't go as hoped for and the same is happening this season with Fiorentina. There were big hopes for the 23 year old at the Florence club but he's not quite lived up to them and has been in and out of the team.

La Nazione report on Tuesday that Juventus are worried Fiorentina won't be using their €20m buying option in the summer and that could lead to a devaluation of the player. The club are therefore 'pressing' for his early return, with the plan to send him elsewhere.

A further loan could be arranged in Italy, but Fulham are also mentioned as a candidate.

Having Claudio Ranieri as manager, the Cottagers are linked with endless players from Italy, and there's a clear need to add to the squad this month.

Pjaca is a very talented footballer but it's arguable a relegation fight in the Premier League wouldn't be the best environment to help him get his career back on track.

Fulham may disagree.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-send-player-fulham-worry-e20m-fee-summer-devaluation/

WhiteJC

Fulham need more than full-back Sabaly to boost their survival bid in January

Youssouf Sabaly would beef up Fulham in the full-back positions but they need strengthening at the heart of their defence if they are to survive.

(Photo by Shaun Botterill - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images)

Fulham are eyeing up a January move for versatile Bordeaux defender Youssouf Sabaly to bolster their survival bid, according to French outlet L'Equipe.

They report that Claudio Ranieri wants the eight-cap Senegal international to stiffen up a Cottagers defence that has been the club's achilles heel this season and represents their biggest current barrier to survival.

The report claims that Fulham have already made a first offer for the defender and are keen to get the deal over the line as soon as possible with interest from Napoli lingering over the player.

Sabaly is a right-back primarily, but can play at left-back as well, but Ranieri is actually currently well-stocked in those roles.

Ranieri can call upon Cyrus Christie, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Denis Odoi on the right of his defence – where Calum Chambers can also fill in if needs be – and Joe Bryan on the left.

Convincing an international defender to switch from a side that was in this season's Europa League to a side in grave danger of relegation will be costly and Ranieri's resources would be better used elsewhere.

A commanding central defender would do much more for Fulham's survival hopes than a versatile full-back; but the general trend needs to be towards a performance of more commitment and spirit than was on display against Oldham on Sunday.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-need-more-than-full-back-sabaly-to-boost-their-survival-bid-in-january/

WhiteJC

Fulham have 'made offer', but move to Premier League isn't player's first option

Over the weekend, Tuttosport claimed that Claudio Ranieri had asked Fulham for offensive reinforcements, among which was Juventus' Marko Pjaca, currently on loan at Fiorentina.

Struggling with La Viola, the Croatian has seen his game time reduced over the past few months, starting just two games since November 9th, and failing to have any meaningful impact since a 3-0 win against SPAL in September, where he picked up a goal and an assist.

Tuttosport stated Fulham were 'ready to invest €15-20m' in the winger, and it appears they've now made a move in that direction.

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Fabio Paratici, the man in charge of transfers at Juventus, met Fali Ramadani (Fiorentina's intermediary of choice) on Monday to discuss his loanee's situation, and it isn't ideal news for the Cottagers.

Pjaca's first option would be to stay with his current side to try and break back into the first team, which is also the club's desire, yet there is also 'an offer from Fulham', which we're guessing is making the Serie A champions think things over.

No amount is revealed, but if it's anywhere near the €20m range, as Tuttosport suggested, it would be an ideal opportunity for Juventus to recoup most of their original expenditure (around £21m) from 2016.

Another meeting is expected to take place 'this week' between both Juventus and Fiorentina to further discuss the matter.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-made-offer-young-serie-winger-move-pl-isnt-players-first-option/

WhiteJC

On Seri

I am aware, because people tell me sometimes, that not everyone is bought into the idea of statistics in football. We won't rehash that here.

But here's something that was put up on Twitter and shows top midfielders around Europe and their contributions to passing and scoring. The green shading shows midfielders in the top 5 percentile among central midfielders across Europe.

I'm showing it of course because here's our friend Seri. The axis he's standing out on is "accurate passes per 90 minutes" which in itself isn't a deal breaker, but look at the players around him. Alcantra plays for Bayern Munich. Verratti PSG. Iniesta is a Barcelona player. He is further along this axis than the likes of Luka Modric and Toni Kroos. Everyone on that chart is a top player.

So next time you hear someone say "Seri can't pass" you can tell them that they're not correct. He can, and he does. This might just be one number in a vacuum but if nothing else, the man has built his career on the pass.

Again, you can tell me that stats lie and that Tony Khan is responsible for climate change, brexit and James Corden, but these are facts. Seri passes. The "Barcelona link" must be a millstone around his neck by now but in this context you can absolutely understand how he'd have been on their radar. He's a passing machine. That's what they do.

And we know from WhoScored that he creates chances at a level that is among the elite for the division.

What gives? Obviously the team is not doing very well, but to what extent can we blame this on our French midfielder? Because people are. There was a rumoured interest in a Ligue 1 left back on Twitter last night and someone responded with "haven't we learned?" to which I asked "learned what?"

Thing is, he averaged 70+ accurate passes per game in France, but only 45 at Fulham Again, so what?, you can ask, but it's a lot less influence on a match. So just as Anguissa isn't getting his France thing done over here, Seri too is diminished.

Some hypotheses might be:

– Seri was good but isn't now
– Seri was good then and still is now
– Seri is struggling to adapt to the league
– Seri should be prioritised more in this team
– the team needs to play the possession football it was built for but just do it better than it was before. Otherwise you waste the very thing the players are meant to do
– who cares, we're getting relegated anyway

Or all of that. We know, I think, that the team as idealised was supposed to defend with the ball and Seri would appear to have been an obvious and excellent pickup in that game-plan. But now what? If you set up to not have the ball then you blunt the players who are good on the ball. So while we might have hoped to see Seri and Cairney blossom into a wonderful creative 1-2 punch in the middle of the park, now that seems extremely unlikely to happen. It's not how the team plays now.

It's a mystery in a way, but I'm absolutely certain that the answer is not that he doesn't "want it" or that he can't play, which sound ludicrous but which are actual things people are saying.  Equally, we have a very talented midfielder in the team, and that's something to build around, not something to get angry about.  If you believe in Mitrovic and in Cairney and in Sessegnon, and if you believe in Seri, too, then you can believe that there's a decent squad here somewhere, and that relegation isn't a certainty.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2019/01/08/on-seri/

WhiteJC

Referee confirmed for Fulham game

The Premier League have confirmed that Saturday's home game against Fulham will be refereed by Martin Atkinson. He was at Turf Moor as recently as one calendar month ago today when he refereed our 1-0 home win against Brighton.

There will be more information ahead of the game.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/referee-confirmed-for-fulham-game-2

WhiteJC

AEW Owners Shahid & Tony Khan Release Statement

Shahid's son to take leadership role in All Elite Wrestling.

All Elite Wrestling's owners, billionaire businessman Shahid Khan and his son Tony Khan, have today released separate statements about the promotion ahead of their rally in Jacksonville, FL tonight:

Shahid Khan statement on AEW:

I am the lead investor, a supporter and a backer of All Elite Wrestling, and I anticipate great things today and into the future for AEW and everyone who has worked passionately on this week's launch. I know AEW will be welcomed by wrestling fans here in the U.S. and throughout the world who are ready for something new and authentic. AEW will work hard to deliver on that promise.

As important, I am the father – the proud father – of Tony Khan, who will serve in a leadership role at AEW during the 2019 launch and in the years ahead. Tony will assemble a great team to take AEW over the top, for the benefit of everyone who loves the wrestling industry, while continuing to serve in his current capacities with the Jaguars and Fulham.

AEW will operate as an organization completely independently from my other interests. It will not deter attention or divert resources from any of my businesses, teams, projects or investments. At the same time, AEW will enjoy the same full commitment I given to everything and everyone in my life – my family and friends, my business and, in recent years, to sports, hospitality and now entertainment.

Here's what his son had to say:

Tony Khan statement on AEW

Wrestling fans are a community unlike most others. I've been a part of this community since I was 7 years old, and I can tell you that wresting fans see the world every day through a special lens. We see wrestling in Hollywood films and tv shows, we see elements of wrestling in the presentation of sports and in the marketing of grandiose star athletes, and we certainly see wrestling in politics.

The wrestling community is a constant; its members are diverse, we are physically located on all corners of the planet, yet we are constantly connected. Recently, a new family has formed, bonded by love and respect for wresting but armed with a vision and resources that have never before been available to the wrestling community. Our objective is to connect our community closer than ever before through All Elite Wrestling, or AEW.

AEW does not mean any less of a continued commitment to existing obligations and duties that I have, or my family has, to our business and sports interests. That will never be the case. What's important is that every individual decision we make as family, whether it's ownership or investment in a team or property, is 100 percent beneficial to those specific interests. I will always welcome that accountability and responsibility, as nothing is more important than serving our supporters and friends.

AEW will launch with a roster of the top wrestlers in the world. While they'll clash in what will be some of the most intense and fast-paced contests ever sanctioned in the squared circle, they'll also share a common goal: to make this the true golden age, to make this the greatest time ever to be a wrestling fan. Likewise, as a business, by treating our wrestlers with respect and warmth, we also seek to make this the golden age for the performers themselves.

I urge everyone who believes in what we're doing, or wants to believe in dreams coming true, to support AEW by spreading the word and passing the wrestling bug onto someone else. My message: Get in on the ground floor with AEW today and help lead our movement to grow the wrestling community and ensure that the voices of the wrestling fans, their creative minds and their remarkable ideas, will always be heard.

AEW's 'Double or Nothing' rally takes places tonight, at 5PM.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/aew-owners-shahid-tony-khan-release-statement

WhiteJC

Club contact Fulham player's agent over transfer, could have implications for Stoke City

Sabah claim Galatasaray are interested in signing Fulham's Norwegian midfielder Stefan Johansen.

It's reported the Turkish club's manager Fatih Terim doesn't want to continue working with Badou Ndiaye because the 64 year old is unhappy about the Stoke City loanee's recent performances.

Ndiaye joined Stoke City 12 months ago from the Istanbul club for a fee in the region of €16m. However, with Stoke City's relegation to the Championship the player headed back to Turkey in the summer. Subsequently this could have implications for the Championship side with regards to the player remaining in Turkey beyond next summer.

According to Turkish newspaper, Galatasaray have contacted Johansen's entourage as they look to possibly replace Ndiaye.

Johansen came very close to joining Galatasaray in 2016 when he was playing for Celtic but the 27 year old decided to join Fulham, who were then in the Championship.

The midfielder will become a free agent at the end of the season and has featured in 12 Premier League games this season.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-contact-fulham-players-agent-transfer-implications-stoke-city/

WhiteJC

Fulham Intensify Efforts To Sign Crystal Palace & Cardiff City Linked Winger Victor

Fulham are intensifying their efforts to sign former Nigeria international Victor Moses from Chelsea this month.

According to Love Sport Radio, Fulham are stepping up their campaign to convince Victor Moses and Danny Drinkwater to join Chelsea team-mate Gary Cahill in making the short hop across west London in January.

Moses has reportedly been shown around the facilities at The Cottagers ahead of a proposed move.

Chelsea are willing to allow the winger leave on a permanent or temporary basis as he is not in the plans of manager Maurizio Sarri so much so that he has dropped down the pecking order.

At the start of the season, the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winning player was behind Willian, Eden Hazard and Pedro in the pecking order of wingers but he is now fifth choice as England youth international Callum Hudson-Odoi has overtaken him in recent weeks.

Moses has been linked with a possible move to Cardiff City as well his old club Crystal Palace.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=30615

WhiteJC

Marko Pjaca makes decision on Fiorentina future amid Fulham and Wolves links

The Croatia star has been mentioned as a possible target for Claudio Ranieri

Croatian winger Marko Pjaca wants to stay on loan at Fiorentina amid speculation linking him with a loan move to Fulham.

The Cottagers and fellow newly-promoted side Wolverhampton Wanderers had been linked with a move for the 23-year-old but football.london understands that Pjaca's representatives have received no declaration of interest from a Premier League side nor an indication from his parent club Juventus that they intend to send him elsewhere.

Pjaca has struggled for consistent game time with Fiorentina, starting only one Serie A game since October 21, leading to speculation that his parent club may look to send him elsewhere in a bid for more regular game time.

But the youngster is settled in Florence and optimistic he can fulfill the potential he first showed for Croatia in Euro 2016. Unless instructed to do otherwise he is unlikely to explore a move to the Premier League.

Though Fulham have not yet made a move for him a player such as Pjaca would add valuable depth in a problem position for Claudio Ranieri, with Ryan Sessegnon and Andre Schurrle the only wingers to consistently command the confidence of the Italian.

However Fulham are also expected to prioritise signings with Premier League experience as they battle to pull themselves clear of the relegation zone.

Chief among those targets is Gary Cahill, who is expected to be loaned out by Chelsea to their fellow west London side for the remaining months of his contract.

Though the former England international does not conform to Fulham's policy of signing players under the age of 28 his 14 years of experience in the Premier League could be crucial for Ranieri's men, who currently sit four points from safety with the division's worst defensive record.

Fulham's transfer plans for January

With the January transfer window in full swing, football.london want to hear from Fulham fans on the business they want to see from the club in the first month of 2019 and their view on the season so far under Claudio Ranieri.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/marko-pjaca-makes-decision-fiorentina-15647771

WhiteJC

Stoke City no longer pursuing former Fulham boss

Stoke City chiefs looking elsewhere after Slavisa Jokanovic declares himself a non starter

Slavisa Jokanovic is no longer a runner for the managerial vacancy at Stoke City.

The 50 year-old Serbian, who lost his job at Fulham two months ago, was among a pool of potential candidates for Stoke's owners to sift through and possibly approach.

But it has emerged that Jokanovic, who guided both Watford and Fulham to promotion from the Championship, has already made it known that he would not be interested.

It is thought that the terms of his severance from Fulham could prevent him taking a job so soon anyway.

Stoke's hierarchy had admired his record in England, but were also mindful that he hadn't had much time to re-charge his batteries after the emotional upheaval of winning promotion and then being sacked by Fulham.

Slavisa Jokanovic... no longer available (Image: Getty)

Meanwhile, the betting markets are keeping onlookers entertained as the name of Luton manager Nathan Jones emerged from nowhere earlier this afternoon.

And now the unlikely name of Sheffield United's Chris Wilder has made big moves in the betting.

Stoke's owners are trying to have an appointment tied down by the weekend, but it is unlikely the new man will be on the touchline at Brentford.

Coaches Rory Delap and Kevin Russell, together with goalkeeping coach Andy Quy, have been put in temporary charge following Gary Rowett's exit this morning.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-rowett-slavisa-jokanovic-2408089

WhiteJC

Tottenham flop N'Jie is not the man to make instant impact Fulham need

Fulham have turned to Marseille forward Clinton N'Jie to add firepower to their survival bid but his time at Tottenham suggests he is not good enough.

(Photo by Etsuo Hara/Getty Images)

Fulham are among a host of Premier League clubs eyeing up a January swoop for Marseille forward Clinton N'Jie, according to the Daily Mail.

The Mail report that the struggling Cottagers want to engineer a loan deal for the 25-year-old to add firepower to their survival bid.

They also reportedly face competition from fellow strugglers Cardiff, Burnley and Newcastle for N'Jie, who has started only four games for the Ligue 1 outfit this season.

He will be a familiar face to many in this country as he spent two years at Tottenham between 2015 and 2017, where he failed to make a significant impact.

That period at Tottenham should make it clear to Claudio Ranieri that N'Jie is not good enough to make an impact in the top flight.

He may well have improved since leaving Spurs – although his gametime this season and Marseille's willingness to let him go would suggest otherwise – but he is not the man Ranieri needs to come in and make an instant impact.

Fulham have the likes of Floyd Ayite and Ryan Sessegnon out wide who can offer the speed N'Jie has and he has neither the physical presence or goalscoring touch needed to spearhead a struggling side's attack.

https://tbrfootball.com/tottenham-flop-njie-is-not-the-man-to-make-instant-impact-fulham-need/

WhiteJC

Huddersfield beating Fulham to sign this 24-year-old midfield master would have a big effect on the relegation fight

Why Huddersfield Town must beat Fulham to sign Valentin Rongier

According to a report from Jeunes Footeaux, Fulham are interested in signing Nantes midfielder Valentin Rongier in the January transfer window.

Valentin Rongier, 24, has established himself as one of the first names on Nantes' team sheet this season. The Frenchman has become a key component in Vahid Halilhodzic's Nantes team, managing 18 appearances across all competitions.

Fulham's interest in Valentin Rongier could be down to Claudio Ranieri trying a way to sort out his team's defensive problems. However, basement club Huddersfield Town must beat Fulham to the signature of the highly-rated midfielder.

Huddersfield Town currently find themselves in all kind of problems, having lost eight Premier League games in a row. It's becoming difficult for David Wagner to inspire his team out of the wobbly situation that they are in.

January reinforcements are a must for the Terriers and they need to come in as quickly as possible. Wagner needs to address every single department of the team but he must prioritise strengthening the midfield.

Aaron Mooy getting injured against Brighton at the start of December was a cruel blow for Huddersfield. Before the Brighton game, Huddersfield had beaten Wolves 2-0 and Aaron Mooy was adjudged as the Man of the Match for his terrific performance.

Mooy's injury has left a big hole in the Huddersfield midfield which Wagner has to solve immediately. The Terriers currently lack a midfielder that can control the flow of the game, intercept opposition attacks and impact the games. Truth be told, Huddersfield needs a player to partner Philip Billing in the midfield and Valentin Rongier would be the ideal choice.

A defensive midfielder by trade, Rongier is renowned for his work rate, ball-winning ability and starting attacks from the deep.

The 24-year-old is an excellent tackler, knows how to intercept the play and keep possession in the tightest of areas. He has a fantastic passing range and likes to keep things simple but efficient.

Given his defensive prowess and game-reading skills, Rongier could be a difference-maker for Huddersfield, who are fighting hard to maintain their Premier League status. Wagner simply cannot afford to lose a player like Rongier as he could add a lot of value to this Terriers side. Hence, Huddersfield must quickly splash the cash to sign the Frenchman from Nantes.

https://soccersouls.com/2019/01/09/huddersfield-beating-fulham-to-sign-this-24-year-old-midfield-master-would-have-a-big-effect-on-the-relegation-fight/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic declines chance to interview for Stoke City managerial post

Slavisa Jokanovic has declined an offer from Stoke City to interview for their vacant managerial post, Sky Sports News understands.

Jokanovic was approached following the sacking of Gary Rowett on Tuesday but after initial discussions, it became clear the job was not right for the former Fulham manager at the current time.

Stoke's selection panel will consist of chairman Peter Coates, his son and vice-chairman John Coates, and chief executive Tony Scholes.

They have begun drawing up a shortlist of candidates to succeed Rowett, and Jokanovic was one of the names on their list.

Stoke are looking for their fourth manager in 12 months, after the club had just two managers in the previous 12 years.

It is understood the selection panel are determined to conduct a painstaking recruitment process, so that the next manager has greater chance of success, and longevity.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11701/11602235/slavisa-jokanovic-declines-chance-to-interview-for-stoke-city-managerial-post

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with 25-year-old Ligue 1 forward: Why Ranieri needs to sign him

A report by Daily Mail has claimed that Fulham are keen to bring Marseille attacker Clinton N'Jie to the Craven Cottage this month.

Apart from the Cottagers, Burnley, Cardiff City and Newcastle United are also keeping close tabs on N'Jie and therefore, Fulham are expected to face stiff competition in their interest to make him sign on the dotted line.

Clinton N'Jie: Player Profile
N'Jie emerged through the youth system of Lyon and after representing their senior side for more than a couple of years, he moved to the ranks of Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2015. However, he found opportunities hard to come by under Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs.

Eventually, he was shipped out on loan to Marseille in 2016 and after a year, the French outfit exercised the option to buy him. The versatile attacker enjoyed two productive seasons with the Olympians but the situation has changed for him this season.

So far this campaign, the 25-year-old has managed to muster just 2 starts in Ligue 1. Marseille have a plethora of attacking stars in their arsenal, including Dimitri Payet, Florian Thauvin, Kostas Mitroglou and Lucas Ocampos. Looking at this lineup, it does not come as a surprise that he might be available on loan.

The Cameroon international was close to joining Sporting CP on loan last summer but the move failed to materialise after the clubs failed to agree on terms. He must be keen to get regular game time under his belt and an exit seems to be on the cards.

Why Fulham need to sign him
The axe of relegation is hovering over Fulham with the club placed 19th in the league table with just 14 points after 21 Premier League outings. Claudio Ranieri desperately needs to bring in reinforcements this month in order to attempt to save the blushes of his side at the end of the season.

N'Jie could be a productive signing for them in the current scenario as the London based side have fizzled out in attack as well after a bright start in that aspect of the game.

He is capable of operating as a striker as well as a winger and thanks to his pace, he could be an asset keeping in mind Fulham's need to operate on the break with teams mostly dominating them in terms of possession.

He is a clinical attacker who knows exactly where the goal is and is also an excellent dribbler of the ball. His previous unsuccessful spell might play on the minds of all involved but he has improved on a lot of aspects and has a much better understanding of the game.

But his work-ethic will have to be top notch in the event he is signed by Fulham, as a relegation scrap will require all that the players can offer and a bit more when things go down to the wire.

https://madaboutepl.net/2019/01/fulham-determined-to-sign-clinton-njie-with-relegation-battle-looming/

WhiteJC

Fulham would take a step closer to safeguarding Premier League status by signing this 23-year-old Juventus ace on loan – Opinion

Marko Pjaca can add that cutting edge to Fulham's attack

According to Calciomercato, Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri is interested in securing the services of Marko Pjaca on loan from Juventus.

The 23-year-old is currently on loan at fellow Serie A club Fiorentina but they want to terminate the loan agreement as soon as possible to send the Croatian international back to Turin. (h/t Calciomercato)

However, Juventus are not keen to keep the player either and AC Milan and Fulham have emerged as the potential suitors for the 23-year-old's signature. (h/t Calciomercato)

A product of Croatian club Lokomotiva, Pjaca played for his boyhood club and Dinamo Zagreb before completing a mega-money move to Juventus in 2016. The 23-year-old, who has 23 international caps for Croatia at the senior level, represented his nation at the 2016 Euro Cup and was a part of the squad that finished runners-up at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Standing at 6ft. 1 inch with a robust frame, Pjaca is regarded as a promising and talented youngster who is known for his versatility to play in multiple positions in the attacking third. His preferred position is on the left, which allows him to cut inside from the wide areas and create chances with his stronger right foot. He is never afraid to have a crack on goal and he also has the ability to create openings in the attacking third with his link-up play.

A fast, agile and dynamic attacker, Pjaca is known for his direct style of play, taking on the defenders with his sudden bursts of pace, silky dribbling skills and clever changes of direction.  He likes to play quick passing football and can combine very effectively with the full-backs, drawing the defenders out from their positions and cutting inside to assist the centre-forward.

To put things into perspective, he would be a wonderful signing for Fulham in January. The Cottagers still languish in the relegation zone but they have given themselves a glimmer of hope of avoiding the drop with some positive results under Claudio Ranieri.

To sum up things for the Cottagers this season, Ranieri's side crashed out of the FA Cup with a humiliating 2-1 defeat at the hands of Oldham Athletic yesterday. Quite clearly, they are still in dire need of some reinforcements even after spending a lot of money in the summer.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has been one of the brightest sparks of Fulham's otherwise disastrous campaign in the Premier League so far. The Serb has kept their hopes alive with some crucial strikes but Andre Schurrle and Luciano Vietto haven't really hit top gear.

A dynamic attacker like Marko Pjaca can certainly add a lot more substance to Fulham's attack and provide competition for places in the final third. That said, they should take the first initiative and beat AC Milan to secure the services of the youngster on loan.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2019/01/09/fulham-would-take-a-step-closer-to-safeguarding-premier-league-status-by-signing-this-23-year-old-juventus-ace-on-loan-opinion/