watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

is the problem “loan players”?

Started by WhiteJC, January 15, 2019, 01:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

I'm not talking about the current crop of players we have Rico, Chambers, Fosu-Mensah, Schurrle and Vietto, some of whom have been very good others less so.
Without picking on individual players my question is do loan players cause problems with 'team cohesion' and unless we sign them at the end of their loan then the "new" player(s) will have to bed-in and we'll have to start again each time.

For the past three seasons we've had far more loan players than I can remember, maybe we've always had one or two but when did 5 or 6 first team players become the norm?

With promotion to the Premier League I think that this summers transfer window showed that we needed to rebuild the team, playing at a higher level we needed 'better' players, at the very least we needed to replace players in the positions were the previous loanees had gone back.

Spending £100 million+ we still needed additional players, was this because over the previous seasons we'd been running on a thread-bear squad?
Do loan players have the same commitment? my guess is that its down to the individual, you could argue that TFM doesn't appear to be as committed as Piazon, Kalas or Targett?

So the question is if last seasons loan players had been "our" players would we be in the situation we are now?
I'm not talking about skill level, we all know that there are better players than some we currently have in our squad, so we'd probably have needed to get a few players in but at least we would have retained the 'team spirit' and togetherness that served us so well in the promotion push?

MJG

I dont think we had much option last season. We were in the last year of PL money and if we had signed long term players and not gone up we would be well over FFP and would need a fire sale in the summer.
they gambled on loans and as we have seen, the ones from the PL did well and there was a reason they were in the championship. They were good...but maybe not that good for the PL which we are seeing all across the squad bar a handful of players.
Just the views of a long term fan

hovewhite

Loans as stated unless signed at end a piontless excercise.

Woolly Mammoth

I agree with the team cohesion comment or lack of, and yes we may have had no choice, but isn't that showing how limited the success has been in the clubs transfer dealings over a period of time.
Hence why the club made such a pigs ear in the summer, and why we are where we are.
I have never liked too many loans, as I have always questioned some of these players commitment, compared to permanent signings.
I think it's fairly obvious that your not going to get full commitment from some, as we have seen with our own eyes, and it's naive to think you are. A couple loans maybe, but we have far too many for comfort, and if they don't sign at the end of their loan, we are kippered, and back to square one, and have to find a replacement, and in Fulhams case it's a strand of hay in a stack of needles.
Another example of so many errors of judgement, fat too many, but you reap what you sow.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on January 15, 2019, 02:11:55 PM
I dont think we had much option last season. We were in the last year of PL money and if we had signed long term players and not gone up we would be well over FFP and would need a fire sale in the summer.

Agree

Quote from: MJG on January 15, 2019, 02:11:55 PM
there was a reason they were in the championship. They were good...but maybe not that good for the PL which we are seeing all across the squad bar a handful of players.

A few months ago I'd have agreed with this but not anymore. We signed 11 new faces this summer and the only one I now consider a clear upgrade is Rico. Maybe the loanees from last season weren't good PL players, but neither are the remainder of our new signings. We may just as well have spent that money (well, it would have been far less) keeping the old team together and avoiding the disunity and "team of strangers" we have now.

Fabri - same as Bettinelli
Bryan- same as or worse than Targett
Fosu-Mensah - much worse than Fredericks
MLM - no better than Kalas
Mawson - injured twice already
Chambers - crap at CB and is he really any better than KMac/Cisse/Norwood in DM?
Anguissa - again it sounds crazy, but in an FFC shirt has he really been any better than KMac/Cisse/Norwood?
Seri - no better than Cairney at the moment
Schurrle - quality for brief moments, but 98% of the time no better than Kamara or Ayite
Vietto - looks like he's about to do something good but never does, no better than Kamara/Ayite/Piazon

nose returns

I do agree that the reliance on loan players is an error.
Better to have a proper committed squad and only have loan players as a stop gap or for back up purposes.