3 - 0 Cardiff
Southampton
2 - 1 Everton
Watford
0 - 0 Burnley
Arsenal
2 - 0 Chelsea

WhiteJC

Chelsea, Fulham reportedly agree Gary Cahill deal, BUT...
...there's always a big BUT, as they say

Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri addressed the Gary Cahill situation yesterday, and his words seemed rather forthcoming considering that they were about a player who may be looking to leave but is still technically a Chelsea player (and the Chelsea captain, at that) — and considering how Chelsea have reportedly been quite annoyed by similar courting from Bayern Munich of Callum Hudson-Odoi (obvious player differences aside).

As it turns out however, Chelsea won't be annoyed much at all this case as we've apparently already agreed a deal with Fulham for Cahill. It's in fact Cahill himself who still needs a bit of convincing.

Ranieri's clearly hoping that Cahill will "come and fight" with him to try to save Fulham from relegation. But even if Cahill can be quite the fighter — don't have to look too far beyond a certain May 19th night in 2012 — he still may not be too keen to take the relegation risk with Fulham at this point in his career.

The reports of Chelsea's agreement with Fulham don't reveal much detail, so it's not quite clear if we're talking loan or permanent transfer, but it may not matter too much if they cannot convince Cahill to make the short journey down Fulham Road to Craven Cottage.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2019/1/19/18189232/chelsea-fulham-reportedly-agree-gary-cahill-deal-but

WhiteJC

Moura set to miss Spurs clash

Tottenham have been hit by yet another key attacker injury on the eve of their Premier League clash against Fulham tomorrow (Sunday), according to the Times.

The newspaper claim Lucas Moura "has only a small chance" of playing at Craven Cottage due to a knee injury that has troubled him in recent weeks.

The Times report Mauricio Pochettino may use midfielder Dele Alli as a shock false nine option against Fulham in the absence of first-choice pair Harry Kane and Son Heung-Min.

OPINION

With Kane out for two months and Son on international duty for the rest of January, Pochettino would have viewed speed machine Moura as the best option to lead the front line. The January 2018 signing from Paris Saint-Germain does not offer the same goal threat as Kane and Son, but he showed in the first few months of the season he can be devastating when the mood takes him. Just ask Manchester United. There must be some doubt as to whether Fernando Llorente, who has not started a Premier League game for a year, will be trusted to lead the attack against Fulham, despite his recent hat-trick against lower league outfit Tranmere. The Spaniard's lack of mobility is likely to be a major hindrance to the team's combination play. Alli, who began his Spurs career in central midfield before moving into a roving playmaker role from which he has thrived, would be an intriguing choice to be the spearhead. His game is based upon his movement and skill at timing runs into the box, rather than playing with his back to goal, or playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/01/blogs/premier-league/moura-set-to-miss-spurs-clash/

WhiteJC

Matchday Preview

Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur - Craven Cottage - Sunday 20th January 2019 - 4pm

Fulham doubts

André-Frank Zambo Anguissa, Alfie Mawson
Tottenham doubts

Harry Kane, Heung-min Son, Moussa Sissoko, Lucas Moura, Victor Wanyama
Tickets

Tickets are still available for fans with a booking history, season ticket holders, and members to purchase.
Weather

It will be dry but cold down by the Thames on Sunday, with temperatures around the four degree mark.
Dafabet match odds

Fulham: 4/1

Draw: 5/2

Spurs: 4/5

To take advantage of Dafabet's various price boosts for this fixture, follow this link.

Odds correct at the time of writing. 18+ only. begambleaware.org
Live commentary

Tune into the App or the match centre for full live commentary of the game from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid.
He said

"It's going to be tough. They're playing to survive. They are in a very difficult position and of course it's going to be tough. I think it's one of the best places to play football. I love Craven Cottage. I think it's a fantastic place to play and of course it's a game to enjoy." – Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino.
Spurs last five

L: Spurs 0-1 Man Utd

W: Spurs 1-0 Chelsea

W: Tranmere Rovers 0-7 Spurs

W: Cardiff City 0-3 Spurs

L: Spurs 1-3 Wolves

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/19/matchday-preview

WhiteJC

Fulham taking nothing for granted as they test Tottenham without Harry Kane

Spurs head to Craven Cottage on Sunday without top-scorer Kane.

Fulham will be the first team to test Tottenham's mettle without Harry Kane, but manager Claudio Ranieri is taking nothing for granted.

Spurs head to Craven Cottage on Sunday without top-scorer Kane, who faces two months on the sidelines with the ankle injury he suffered against Manchester United last weekend.

With Son Heung-min also absent, on international duty with South Korea at the Asian Cup, Spurs have lost the source of almost half of their 46 Premier League goals so far this season.

There is no doubt Tottenham have leant heavily on Kane in recent seasons but, contrary to popular belief, Ranieri believes they have plenty in reserve.

"Harry Kane is fantastic, an unbelievable striker, and Son was in very good condition," said Ranieri.

"But there are some good players. Tottenham is a fantastic team. They are fighting for four competitions.

"OK Harry Kane, he doesn't play now, so play Erik Lamela, play Lucas Moura. There are so many champions.

"For me it is important to prepare the team very well."

Fulham remain in a precarious position in the relegation zone following last weekend's 2-1 defeat against Burnley.

Fulham actually found the net three times at Turf Moor but, unfortunately for them, twice it was the wrong net.

However, Ranieri refuses to feel sorry for himself and insists Fulham need to make their own luck.

"My philosophy is always you have to fight, in every job. Because if you don't fight you are the loser," he said.

"I can lose a match. I want to fight until the end. I lose a match and there is another match. I want to restart. Again, again, again. At the end I have to win.

"This is my philosophy. Never give in. Never.

"I can lose, it's OK. I shake the hands of my opponent. 'Well done'. But after that I restart, stronger than before."

Ranieri will hand a debut to new signing Ryan Babel, probably from the bench, against Spurs.

http://sport.bt.com/news/fulham-taking-nothing-for-granted-as-they-test-tottenham-without-harry-kane-S11364326247355

WhiteJC

Humphrys Departs

The Club can confirm that Stephen Humphrys has joined League One side Southend United on a permanent transfer for an undisclosed fee.

The 21-year-old joined the club from Bury, and has been a regular scorer at youth levels ever since. In 2014, he signed his first pro contract to keep him at the club until June 2017, before he signed a two-year extension.

He earned his first team debut in our 2-2 Championship draw with Derby County in 2016.

The striker marked his return from his recent loan spell at Scunthorpe, scoring in each of the Under-23s' fixtures against Middlesbrough and Manchester United since the turn of the year.

We wish Stephen all the best in his career and thank him for his services.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/19/humphrys-departs

WhiteJC

Mysterious Manner Of Defenders Injury Perplexes Ranieri

Injuries are the bane of a footballers' life.

Spells on the sidelines are, unfortunately, an occupational hazard.

Most injuries are, inevitably, picked up during a game or during training.

However, sometimes, injuries can be picked up in the most unbelievable of circumstances.

I can recall the former Wimbledon goalkeeper, Dave Beasant, dropping a bottle of ketchup on his toe and being forced to miss games.

Now it seems that one of our own, Alfie Mawson, has been the victim of a similar piece of misfortune.

During his pre-match press conference, ahead of the clash with Tottenham Hotspur at Craven Cottage this weekend, Claudio Ranieri remarked, and as reported by the BBC, how and why our summer signing has been absent from first-team duty since 29 December, commenting:

"It was a very strange injury. He just changed his boots. It was unbelievable."

And as for a possible comeback date, Ranieri further added:

"He needs more time. How long? I don't know."

The forces of evil continue, so it would seem, continue to conspire against us!

https://fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/mysterious-manner-of-defenders-injury-perplexes-ranieri/

WhiteJC

Southend United boss Chris Powell thrilled to bring in Stephen Humphrys from Fulham

New recruit - Stephen Humphrys has joined Southend United

OUTHEND United manager Chris Powell has spoken of his joy after signing Stephen Humphrys from Fulham.

The 21-year-old striker has signed a two and a half year deal with the Shrimpers.

And Powell cannot wait to see his latest recruit in action for Blues.

"I've brought him in to make his mark and get him up and running," said the Southend boss.

"He's got good mobility and link up play.

"He can shoot off either foot and he's a number nine but he can also play off another striker.

"He's played off the left and the right but I see him playing down the middle in a pair.

"Physically he's strong but he's still only 21 so there's a lot to learn.

"He has a lot of energy, has a good attitude and he wants to score goals."

Humphrys spent the first half of the season on loan at Scunthorpe United, scoring five goals in 13 starts.

But Powell believes the forward will benefit from being with Blues on a permanent basis "Sometimes when you're on loan at a club it's quite easy to say well you're going back to your own club now," said Powell.

"But he's here now, he's to score goals and make us stronger and he recognises that.

"He's been at a good club in Fulham and we're very grateful they've let us have him on a free.

"But it's now up to him to get his career going.

"I did it coming here many years ago and you realise it's the start of your career."

But Powell is certain Humphrys' presence will boost Blues.

"I think he will add to us," said Powell.

"He's a bit of a maverick at times but I don't mind that.

"He can score special goals and I've seen him score a few for Fulham under 23s.

"But it's also about getting ones in the six yard box that just drop to you.

"He's a good finisher from what I've seen and I'm hopeful he can show that to everyone here."

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17370510.southend-united-boss-chris-powell-thrilled-to-bring-in-stephen-humphrys-from-fulham/

WhiteJC

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could help revive Timothy Fosu-Mensah's Manchester United career

Man Utd fans have high hopes for Fosu-Mensah but he has struggled for minutes on loan at Fulham this season

Manchester United loanee Timothy Fosu-Mensah is facing uncertainty around his future.

The 21-year old-defender was sent out on a season-long loan to Fulham by former United manager Jose Mourinho, after a successful spell at Crystal Palace the season before.

But Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri has deemed the Dutchman surplus to requirements after he's struggled to establish himself at Craven Cottage, only managing to make eight appearances in the Premier League.

United now have a new man at the helm, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, and if Fosu-Mensah returned to the Red Devils this season he could flourish under the tutelage of the United legend.

Since his appointment, Solskjær has stated it's 'crucial' for Manchester United to develop academy talent, explaining: "That link between the academy and first-team is crucial, we bring players through to the first-team, we develop them to play a certain way and then they know when they get to the first-team this is how we want them to play.

"It doesn't just go back to the Class of '92, it goes back even further than Sir Alex, back to Sir Matt Busby. And I'll never forget it, if you're good enough you're old enough."

And Solskjær has been true to his word, handing Tahith Chong his competitive debut, giving Andreas Pereira valuable minutes and involving Angel Gomes and James Garner in match-day squads.

Having begun his coaching career in the reserves at Old Trafford, the United manager recognises the importance of showing the young stars at the club there is a path-way to the first team.

Although Fosu-Mensah has mainly played right-back in his senior career, he is famous for his versatility and can feature at left-back and defensive midfield if needed.

Throughout his career so far, Fosu-Mensah has potentially been a victim of his own versatility, failing to nail down a position and making it his own.

But there is no doubt he has an abundance of ability, and there are still high hopes for the youngster in Manchester. If he returns to United this season Solskjær is the right man for Fosu-Mensah to progress under - and help get him closer to his dream of securing a long-term Manchester United future.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/timothy-fosu-mensah-man-utd-15698774

WhiteJC

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri reveals defender Alfie Mawson injured himself while putting on his boots

Mawson has been sidelined since late December with the mysterious knee injury

REUTERS

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri has revealed defender Alfie Mawson injured himself while putting on his boots.

Mawson, the £20million summer signing from Swansea, has been sidelined since December 29 with a mystery knee injury.

And prior to Fulham's clash with Tottenham on Sunday, Ranieri revealed the bizarre reason for his absence.

"He needs more time. How long? I don't know," said Ranieri.

"It was a very strange injury. He just changed his boots. It was unbelievable."

Meanwhile, Ranieri seems to have lost patience with striker Aboubakar Kamara following his yoga bust-up with Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Kamara and Mitrovic reportedly had to be pulled apart by team-mates after an angry exchange during what was supposed to be a relaxation session last week.

The incident came just a couple of weeks after they had argued over who would take a penalty against Huddersfield.

It was an argument Kamara won, only to subsequently miss the spot-kick.

Ranieri attempted to play down the row, but made it clear Kamara is no longer in his plans.

"It wasn't a battle, it was a chat and something that happens in every team, nothing more," said the Italian.

"I don't think it was about the penalty.

"Kamara is not in the squad. I prefer to think about it and then I will do the best for the team."

Ranieri has been linked with a move for Chelsea's former England defender Gary Cahill as he attempts to guide Fulham out of the relegation zone.

However, the Italian said: "Gary is a very important player and for us it would be fantastic, but I don't know if he wants to come and fight with us."

One piece of good news was the arrival of former Liverpool winger Ryan Babel this week.

The 32-year-old Holland international, signed from Besiktas, is set to go straight into the squad to face Spurs.

"I hope Ryan can bring his experience and strength, he's a quality player who can score some goals because we need goals, and of course I hope he can adapt to our football as soon as possible," said Ranieri.

"I am happy because he played for Liverpool and he knows the Premier League very well.

"He's not fit 100 per cent so I must choose if we start with him or during the match."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-team-news-vs-tottenham-mawson-ranieri-injury-latest-a8736106.html

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: Emilio Di Nello's Opposition View On Love Sport Radio - The Spurs Fan Show
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images

This episode is an interview with Cottage Talk co-host Emilio Di Nello on Love Sport Radio during The Spurs Fans Show.on Thursday Night. He was on to give the opposition view for this upcoming match.

During his appearance, Emilio discusses his thoughts on several topics:

He shares this thoughts overall on Fulham.
    The topic of Mousa Dembele is discussed.
    Emilio brings up the player on Spurs that concerns him the most.
    Lastly, Emilio gives his prediction for the match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/1/19/18189440/cottage-talk-emilio-di-nellos-opposition-view-on-love-sport-radio-the-spurs-fan-show

WhiteJC

Spurs Limited

Only a limited number of tickets remain for Sunday's Premier League clash against Tottenham Hotspur.

Kicking-off at 4pm on Sunday 20th January, be sure to secure your seat at Craven Cottage and watch the London derby unfold.

Tickets can be purchased online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

The Fulham Ticket Office will be open to personal callers from 11am on Sunday 20th January.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/january/18/spurs-limited

WhiteJC

Bradford 0-4 Southend: Stephen Humphrys nets debut double as David Hopkin's side thumped

Stephen Humphrys scored twice on his debut as Southend thrashed Bradford 4-0 at Valley Parade to record their sixth away win of the season.

The Fulham striker, who spent the first half of the season on loan at Scunthorpe, enabled Southend to double their 2-0 half-time lead by adding their third and fourth goals.

Bottom-four side Bradford had won their previous four home matches without conceding.

The visitors went in front after 72 seconds when Bradford right-back Paul Caddis tried to intercept but the ball flew into the path of Simon Cox, who scored with a superb right-footed shot into the far corner.

Southend increased their lead after 26 minutes when the Bradford defence failed to clear a throw-in on the left and the ball came out to Sam Mantom, the visiting skipper, who scored with a first-time shot.

Humphrys put paid to any hopes Bradford might have had of a second-half revival by scoring Southend's third goal nine minutes after interval.

He robbed defender Anthony O'Connor of the ball as he tried to head it back to Richard O'Donnell and took it round the goalkeeper before slotting it into the net.

He then completed the scoring with a fine left-footed shot from 20 yards out after cutting in from the right.

Bradford, who were booed off the field at half-time and at the end of the match, had only one direct effort on target - a close-range header from George Miller which was palmed over the bar by keeper Nathan Bishop in the 53rd minute.

https://www.skysports.com/football/bradford-vs-southend/393433

WhiteJC

Ryan Babel: 'For a lot of different reasons I didn't fulfil my potential'

The former Liverpool winger believes he has unfinished business in the Premier League and wants to help Fulham survive

Ryan Babel, who has joined Fulham on a short-term deal, has revitalised his career with Besiktas and won back his place in the Netherlands squad. Photograph: Javier García/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock

In the week that social media users have been busy comparing pictures of themselves to those taken a decade ago in the #10YearChallenge, the return of Ryan Babel to English football feels timely. Signed from Ajax in 2007 by Rafael Benítez's Liverpool for £11.5m after he had become the youngest goalscorer for the Netherlands in almost seven decades, the 32-year-old joined Fulham this week on a short-term deal until the end of the season following a nomadic and sometimes controversial career that has taken him to Germany, the United Arab Emirates, Spain and Turkey since leaving Anfield.

Babel has certainly aged well in the intervening years, having revitalised his career with Besiktas and won back his place in Ronald Koeman's Netherlands squad that will face England in the Nations League semi-finals this summer.

But while he appears relaxed as he prepares to show off his distinctive dyed-red hairstyle on Sunday for his new club against Tottenham at Craven Cottage, there is clearly a burning ambition to prove some people in this country wrong.

"From the outside I didn't change so much," he reflects with a smile, in reference to his Instagram post this week with the caption "22 year old joins @fulhamfc". "I've done so much in my career but a little part of me feels I still have unfinished business here in the Premier League. For me it is a good challenge and I want to take this chance to see how I do now."

Babel is honest and open about his experiences at Liverpool, where he scored 22 goals in nearly 150 appearances before leaving in 2011 for Hoffenheim. He became increasingly marginalised under Benítez, Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish and feels the club failed to manage his development correctly after he moved at the age of 20.

"I've said in earlier interviews maybe I should have stayed one or two more years in Holland," Babel says. "I had been living with my parents so it was the first time living abroad and by myself. There are lot of things coming at you at the same time – different country, different culture. You're basically by yourself and you have to make sure you deal with it as good as possible. That wasn't always the case [with me]."

Ryan Babel during the Netherlands' Nations League match against Germany in October. He won his place back in the squad after showing fine form for Besiktas. Photograph: VI-Images via Getty Images

He adds: "There were a lot of things that bothered me, that were written about me, like my mentality was not supposed to be good. I was young and I did a lot of things besides football, whether it was being involved a little with music.

"Then they took that part way out of proportion, that I was being more busy with music than with football. Of course not. I wanted to develop well and – as they promised me back then before I joined – just to be given the guidance I needed to become a better player. That didn't happen and for a lot of different reasons I didn't fulfil my potential I guess."

A few weeks before his departure, Babel became one of the first players to fall foul of the Football Association's new rules governing social media when he was fined £10,000 for posting a photoshopped image of referee Howard Webb wearing a Manchester United shirt on Twitter. Webb had awarded Dimitar Berbatov a penalty in United's 1-0 victory and Babel decided to express his frustration online as the team coach made its way back to Liverpool. "I posted it and after not even 30 minutes, it was all over CNN, Sky Sports. I didn't expect that to happen ..." he says. "Back then, I did not realise the press was lurking on social media to see if you made a mistake. Actually, I have got myself in a bit of trouble abroad."

Babel spent 18 months in Germany before returning to Ajax, where he played alongside Tottenham's Christian Eriksen. He was "sceptical" whether the Denmark midfielder would make the grade in England due to his lack of physicality and admits he has been pleasantly surprised to see his emergence.

Yet while Eriksen has flourished under Mauricio Pochettino, Babel's decision to move to UAE side Al Ain in 2015 at the age of 28 after a short spell in Turkey seemed a huge waste of his talent. He was demoted to the reserves after posting an angry message in which he appeared to criticise the club's supporters before terminating his contract and returning home.

"There is still a little case going on, so I don't know if I am allowed to speak too much about it," he says. "As soon as I did it, the board were like: 'Yeah, we have a problem, we cannot let you play any more. We need to find a solution.' I was like: 'Oh, OK.' It was a big misunderstanding."

Babel insists his use of social media has not affected his career in a negative way. "You have to be clever with it," he says. "Now social media is so easy for fans to approach football players and as a football player you see those things very quick and easy. You try to avoid all the noise but sometimes it is difficult not to respond to it. I guess that is being a human being."

Babel's only previous experience of a relegation dogfight came in 2016 when he scored four times in five starts to help Deportivo La Coruna avoid relegation. But while he is intent on helping Fulham's great escape under Claudio Ranieri, his future beyond this season remains up in the air.

"To be honest, I'm not really making decisions that are stereotypical to what people normally expect. I like to explore the world," he says. "From every little territory I've been, I've picked something up, things that I could use to better my game, to take with me, and the rest I left behind."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/19/ryan-babel-didnt-fulfil-potential-fulham-liverpool

WhiteJC

Stats all folks: Fulham learn the danger of data fixation as Claudio Ranieri looks to convince owners to abandon analytics and sign right characters

Fulham had an eventful week, which ended with the signing of Ryan Babel
    The arrival of a 32-year-old shows an adherence to analytics may be ditched
    A number of summer signings have had real problems settling at Craven Cottage

The week ended as it began — colourfully — for Fulham, the club who are certainly not going quietly, where the Premier League is concerned.

The sight of 32-year-old new signing Ryan Babel, with crimson red hair, declaring he can keep them up was as eye-catching as owner's son Tony Khan telling a fan who challenged him on Twitter that he could 'go to hell.'

This is not how things seemed destined to play out when Khan's father, Shahid, bought Fulham in 2013 and applied a calm rationale to the Wild West element of the football business: buying players.

The sight of Ryan Babel joining Fulham and claiming he can keep them up was eye-catching

The purchase of Kostas Mitroglou, six months into Khan's ownership, encapsulated the madness for the American billionaire during the disastrous managerial era of Felix Magath.

A club record £12million was paid out for the Greek striker, who started just one game before disappearing off on loan to Olympiakos, never to be seen at Craven Cottage again.

Khan and his son, Tony, looked for a way to make buying players more scientific — less arbitrary — and the analytics system universally known to the club as 'RITA' — Roster Improvement Through Analysis — was born.

Khan jnr established a statistical department, employing a sports data analytics company TruMedia Networks — which he had set up with his former college friend Craig Kline — to develop a transfer strategy. Khan jnr saw a far broader commercial potential for TruMedia, if he could demonstrate its worth at Fulham.

Tony Khan, the son of Fulham owner Shahid, told a fan who challenged him he could 'go to hell'

Some of the players who scored a high analytics rating, such as midfielder Tom Cairney, have been a success, though there has been unease that the adherence to the system was too slavish.

Khan and Kline rejected the signing of Glenn Murray, who has 43 goals in 81 league appearances since going to Brighton instead, and forward Callum Wilson, a key part of the Bournemouth side, because their numbers were not good enough.

Fulham's charge to promotion consigned those doubts to the background, but what has happened since August shows that analytics cannot tell the full story when it comes to building a top flight side.

Strong data does not mean the dressing room culture will be right and Andre Schurrle has this weekend spoken of the lack of a 'hierarchy' in the squad.

'Football clubs are highly charged, emotional places, especially when the going is tough,' one Premier League executive who has used analytics told Sportsmail.

'Analytics do have a big part to play. The old school need to wake up to that. But you need good people in the building at clubs. That is down to instinct. Numbers can't tell you that.'

Aboubakar Kamara has twice been at the centre of controversy in the past month at Fulham

The data certainly seemed to obscure some underlying factors about Aboubakar Kamara. Insiders indicate the 23-year-old has been far from a harmonious presence.

He has twice been at the centre of controversy in the past month, arguing with Aleksandar Mitrovic over who would take a penalty and provoking another dispute with the Serbian when refusing to stay silent during a yoga session. Kamara is expected to be dropped for the visit of Tottenham on Sunday.

Neither do the numbers foretell whether players will even be able to communicate. The £100m outlay also equipped them with two new Spanish goalkeepers — Fabri and Sergio Rico — who arrived from Besiktas and Sevilla respectively with barely a word of English. Defenders found Fabri could not understand a word they said. He has barely featured.

Buoyed by a sense that buying players was not so complicated, Khan jnr installed himself as director of football in 2017 and his workload has not receded since. He has just been tasked with setting up a new wrestling company, All Elite Wrestling (AEW), being launched by his father in America, though he insists this is not a problem.

Khan does appear to be allowing manager Claudio Ranieri greater rein over buying players than Slavisa Jokanovic. Ranieri would like to bring together two members of his Leicester City title-winning squad Danny Simpson, 32, and Danny Drinkwater, 28, as well as Chelsea's Gary Cahill, 33.

The age profile suggests a move away from the slavish adherence to analytics, in a desperate attempt to salvage Premier League status.

At 32, Babel, who has played for six clubs in five countries since leaving Liverpool, does not seem to think that his time in west London need be short-lived.

'Hopefully we'll keep Fulham in the Premier League,' he said. 'Then we can go sit around a table again and see if everything makes sense to maybe extend.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6611193/Stats-folks-Fulham-learn-danger-data-fixation.html

WhiteJC

having a babel Ryan Babel blames broken promises for failed Liverpool spell and insists he has 'unfinished business' in the Premier League

The Netherlands international, who could make his Fulham debut against Spurs, moved to Anfield when he was 20 and struggled to adapt to life in England

Broken promises from Liverpool is what Ryan Babel blames for his first spell in England.

The 32-year-old has joined Fulham from Besiktas on a short-term contract until the end of the season and said he has "unfinished business" in the Premier League.

The Netherlands international spent three-and-a-half years at Anfield, having arrived from Ajax in 2007 for £11.5million.

But, being just 20 years old, it was hard for him to develop in England's top flight.

"I wanted to develop well and, as they promised me back then before I joined, just to be given the guidance I needed to improve," he said.

"That didn't happen and for a lot of different reasons I didn't fulfil my potential, I guess. I had been living with my parents so it was the first time living abroad and by myself. There are a lot of things coming at you at the same time — different country, different culture.

"I came from Ajax where you play 4-3-3 mostly and as a winger they didn't want you to defend too far back. In the English game you're not a winger you're a left midfielder, so you have to help your full-back.

https://talksport.com/football/477818/ryan-babel-liverpool-broken-promises-failed-spell/

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 23 vs. Tottenham
Oh Great, a Top-Six Foe When We Don't Need Them Right Now.

There's no other way around it. Tomorrow's contest with Tottenham is a must win game for Fulham, regardless if the odds are stacked against them. That's what happens when Newcastle wipe Cardiff off the park today and set themselves two points clear of relegation and seven points clear of the Cottagers. Now they have to find a way to claim points no matter who the opposition is because there just isn't any more opposition that are deemed winnable in the near future.

If there is a positive spin about the fixture down at Craven Cottage, it is that Tottenham have a lengthy injury list and plenty of those names are the best players on the team. Among them include Harry Kane and Moussa Sissoko while Eric Dier and Lucas Moura are a tad less doubtful to play. Along with that, Heung-Min Son, who has been absolutely on fire for Spurs with eight goals and five assists in 1,088 minutes, will be missing game time due to playing for South Korea in the Asian Cup. That's half the starting XI right there from a Tottenham side that made no transfers in the summer to bolster the squad.

Should I also mention that former Fulham star Moussa Dembele left Spurs to continue his footballing career in China?

Even so, this is a tight-knit group that manager Mauricio Pochettino has developed over the years and they know they have to win this game regardless of who the opposition is. Otherwise, they will risk losing three of their last four Premier League games after being in the middle of the title race. So this fixture is important for both sides involved.

On that note, here are three players to watch from this iteration of Totteham this Sunday.

Erik Lamela

Even if he has mostly been coming off the bench, Erik Lamela has made the most of his minutes and has probably become the best super sub in the Premier League. This season, he has averaged 0.59 non-penalty goals and 3.23 shots per 90 minutes while also having 45.5% of his shots aimed towards goal in 613 Premier League minutes. All three of these numbers are the career highs in Lamela's eight seasons of European football.

However, one could argue he hasn't lived up to the hype when he moved to Spurs as a 21-year old at Roma. Back then, the Argentina International was putting up roughly the same numbers this season as he was when he scored 15 goals back in Serie A in 2011/12. Now at 26, Lamela hasn't locked in a starting place, nor has he been able to lock a starting spot on the Argentinian National team. That said, it's quite hard to leapfrog Leonel Messi and Sergio Aguero for that job.

Still, Lamela has at least been an impact player for Tottenham and will surely be a valuable member now that Kane and Son are not playing for them anytime soon.

Dele Alli

Next up is Tottenham's last star man still standing who is still developing his game as a 22-year old. This season, Dele Alli has been playing much more in midfield and has evolved into a solid two-way player as a result. Along with that, Alli has been much more selective with his shooting as 54.2% of his shots are aimed towards goal. Even with just four goals and one assist, Alli's 0.79 xG Chain per 90 minutes (the total amount of xG a player is involved) is third on the team among key Tottenham players behind Lamela and Son. So yeah, his imprint on tomorrow's contest will decide how much Tottenham will be able to win and what the margin of victory will be like.

Toby Alderweireld
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, we take a look at a center back that has redeemed the manager's belief in him after losing his starting spot last season. Plenty of that was also due to inury, but it doesn't excuse the fact that Toby Aldeweireld's place on the team was being put to question. But while having a resurgent season, his place on the team is once again secure and has formed a solid partnership with 22-year old Davinson Sanchez.

The Belgium International has always been a well-cultured ball-playing center back, but it seems like his production in those areas are the best of his career. At 89% passing completion and 7.69 long ball passes completed per 90 minutes, all those numbers have surpassed his averages over the previous six seasons and there has not been a season in which he has been that accurate with the ball of his feet.

With all the injuries to Tottenham's midfield, there's a good chance Pochettino may deploy a three-at-the-back formation. If that were to be the case, Aldeweireld will hold a major key to how Spurs best implement their system.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/1/20/18187959/three-players-to-watch-matchday-23-vs-tottenham

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ryan Babel has 'unfinished business' in the Premier League
Fulham play Tottenham on Sunday, live on Sky Sports

In a revealing interview with Sky Sports, new Fulham signing Ryan Babel says he has "unfinished business" in the Premier League.

He also reflects on a career that has seen him play for Liverpool, Ajax and Turkish sides Kasimpasa and Besiktas, as well as in the United Arab Emirates.

The 32-year-old explains why he didn't "fulfil his potential" at Liverpool, talks about the importance of "politics" in football and how he has matured in recent years.

Here's everything Babel had to say ahead of potentially making his Fulham debut against Tottenham, live on Sky Sports on Sunday....

How does it feel to be back in the Premier League?

"It feels good to be back in the Premier League. It's surprising, I know that, even for me it's still surprising but I had a good think about it and I was up for the challenge.

"It went so fast, Fulham called my agent and I had to think about it very quickly, if I was still ok and fit enough for the Premier League. I know at this point my career is only a few years down the road and I want to enjoy as much football as possible so that's why I made the decision."

You say it was a surprise, but would you say your own career has not gone down the route even you expected it to?

"Of course. My career's been a bumpy road, but at the same time I think I am living proof that if you put enough work into things you decide more or less where you want to end up.

"A lot of people talked down about my career at some point, which makes sense. At the end I had to resurrect it, and make certain decisions which I did well and that's why I'm here today."

When did people talk down about your career?

"I went to the UAE aged 28, which normally doesn't make sense to go at that age. It made sense for me, people were not really looking at me how they do now, so it was a very easy decision.

"After that, I had to try from that point after a difficult season to make sure I could play football for longer so I had to come to Europe and went to Spain. Financial-wise it was a big difference but it was an investment in myself to put myself on the map again.

"I had a six-year absence from the national team, which normally would be years you had to be present but I guess because of certain paths I chose it wasn't for me at that time. Now because of different reasons, I'm doing well and have got a chance again."

Did you ever doubt your ability?

"No, I never doubted my ability. However, I did notice that in football there's a lot of politics unfortunately, and of course you can debate whether it was fair or not fair, but you have to play your politics right to make sure you fit in well."

Journalists have asked me about my time at Liverpool and I have always criticised the management at that time who were guiding me in a way which I think they could have done much better for a player at that age

Ryan Babel

Hindsight is a wonderful gift, but do you have any regrets about any decisions you made?

"I don't want to say regrets, because at the end of the day that made me the person I am today and the experience I have had has taught me a lot, but realistically if you could make different decisions you would think about the decisions you made back then."

Do you regard the Premier League as unfinished business?

"Yeah, I would. That's one of the decisions I'm talking about - maybe I shouldn't have come to England at that time, I was pretty young and not really fully outgrown from the Dutch league when I joined Liverpool [at the age of 20 in 2007]. Perhaps a couple more years in Holland would have been good for me.

"Joining Liverpool at that time was the first time living outside my country, my parents' home even, and it was a whole different world for me. A lot of things came on my plate straight away, I had to grow up very fast, but fans and people don't give you that time, they want you to perform and if you don't, it's time for another player. Most people say I didn't fulfil my potential at Liverpool so it is unfinished business."

You're very active on social media so I am sure you have seen the 10-year challenge that is going around, but what is different about you as a person from 10 years ago?

"I've matured a lot, I understand much more what needs to be asked to make sure you are able to perform, the balance for myself, recognising my own body, the rest you have to take, and the different preparations to perform well. That's one of the things I didn't have enough guidance for back then, and it's a big difference."

A debate about you has been whether you are a winger or a striker; has that debate changed?

"I would say I'm not the typical winger, but at the same time I don't have the stats to be a striker. I can play in both positions, but it depends what is necessary from every different game. In Turkey I played up front a lot because of the game we were playing, but also on the left - I'd say that is my position mostly. I think I have been brought in to be a winger, but we have had a very brief chat. I'm sure we will talk more in the next few days."

There's usually initiation songs when new players join clubs, and you are an experienced rapper...

"Unfortunately I'm retired for a long time. I'm not really associated with that any more. I like music a lot, but that was one of the distractions for me at that time that didn't make me fully focused on football. I realised it once I left Liverpool. I was 23, and I left it behind and tried to make sure I focused on my career."

It's interesting listening to you as it sounds like you could have done some things better but then other things happened that were out of your control...

"I've done some interviews during my career, the journalists have asked me about my time at Liverpool and I have always criticised the management at that time, who were guiding me in a way which I think they could have done much better for a player at that age, like giving more guidance. Like you said, it wasn't always one party but it was probably a combination why I didn't fulfil my potential."

Do you still love the game?

"I still love the game very much. At one point, I must admit it was all business for me, but based on the decisions I have made after, I got the love back that I have today. I guess it's the whole process, the team, the ball at your feet, things you discuss up front, the way you want to play, and when it works it's a great feeling and if it doesn't, it bothers you - especially if you have a good team. If you don't win games it bothers you and that's a good sign that you still have love for the game."

How tough will the rest of the season be for Fulham?

"It's very tough. I hope I can give my good energy to the team, maybe some different dynamics, and give some motivation. It's not impossible to stay up, it's not the end of the road, it's a long season with a lot of things happening, but I'm confident we can stay up."

If you could play a significant part in helping Fulham avoid relegation, how much would that be about proving people wrong, and perhaps proving yourself right?

"The second one first. I left England with a 50/50 feeling that I didn't really show everything I had to show to people, but it's a combination."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11610240/fulhams-ryan-babel-has-unfinished-business-in-the-premier-league

WhiteJC

Three reasons why Tottenham will blast Fulham without Harry Kane

Tottenham will travel to Craven Cottage without the services of Harry Kane, but Spurs aren't helpless. Here are three reasons they can romp.

There are plenty of valid questions about how Tottenham will cope with the absence of Harry Kane until his projected March return. Sunday's trip to Fulham will give Spurs their first test without their English talisman. Don't expect Mauricio Pochettino's team to stumble at Craven Cottage.

There are plenty of reasons for optimism for Tottenham despite Kane's injury. In this piece we'll identify three big reasons why Spurs should be in line for a comfortable victory. The general consensus from football pundits is that Tottenham will struggle mightily against the Whites. That's always possible, but it's not the smart bet.

We'll start our list with a player who should see significantly more of the ball without Kane on the pitch.

3. More Dele Alli
No single attacking player is going to completely replace Kane's contributions to the side. It's obvious that several Spurs will need to step up in his absence. Dele Alli should relish the opportunity to show his full range of skills on Sunday.

It's unclear whether or not Pochettino will start Fernando Llorente as a classic No. 9 or rely on someone like Dele to serve as a false forward. No matter which choice the Argentine gaffer makes, Dele is going to see a ton of the ball.

Spurs fans know he's capable of dominating Premier League matches from the attacking midfield. If his club are going to succeed without their star centre forward, he'll need to put his finishing boots on for the next few months. The chances to go up against one of the worst back lines in the Premier League will be a great place for Dele to start. Look for him to terrorise the Whites for the full 90 minutes. This game could be the springboard for a massive two months for Tottenham's precocious star.

2. Midfield minimization
Mousa Dembele has officially jetted off to China. No one knows if or when Victor Wanyama is going to return. Moussa Sissoko has been Tottenham's best midfielder on the year but even he fell victim to injury against Manchester United. It's clear Spurs have a serious midfield crisis on their hands.

It would go down as a major surprise if Pochettino stands pat and starts Harry Winks and Oliver Skipp as his defensive midfield pairing on Sunday. Instead, count on the Argentine gaffer to switch up his tactics to lessen the responsibility heaped on his midfielders. Specifically, look for Pochettino to line up in a 3-4-3 formation once again.

The presence of three central defenders and two wing backs will allow Spurs to operate with a back five on the rare occasions where Fulham are able to pin them in their own half. Winks and his midfield partner will still have plenty of defensive responsibility, but they will also have a ton of support.

Playing a front three should also keep Fulham hemmed up for long stretches. There won't be a ton of occasions where Tottenham's midfielders are called upon to make athletic plays in space. That's not a strength of either Winks or Skipp at this point in their respective careers. Look for Pochettino to subtly protect them at Fulham.

1. Trippier will dominate Sessegnon
Kieran Trippier has taken a lot of stick from Spurs fans on social media lately. His inability to defend elite attackers is certainly an issue for Tottenham in certain matches. Fortunately for the English right back, this is a terrific matchup for his particular set of skills.

Ironically, he should be matched up against Ryan Sessegnon for most of the match. Sessegnon is a player who Tottenham have had their eye on for years. It's fair to say he's struggled a bit in England's top flight this season. Sessegnon is still a prodigious young talent, but he's not quite ready to hold up in a match like this.

Sessegnon won't be up to the challenge of preventing Trippier from pinging dangerous balls into the box. Remember, Trippier will get a chance to play much higher up the pitch in the 3-4-3 formation. With less defensive responsibilities come additional offensive opportunities. It's imperative that Trippier take advantage against Fulham.

In the end, he may get caught out against Sessegnon a time or two, but having Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen and Davinson Sanchez behind him should help Tottenham survive those instances. Sessegnon will be forced to cope with Trippier in his own final third much more often. Over time, Trippier will wear the Whites down with his quality crosses in front of goal.

https://playingfor90.com/2019/01/20/three-reasons-tottenham-will-blast-fulham-without-harry-kane/

WhiteJC

Ranieri: Spurs are fantastic even without Kane

Fulham will be the first team to test Tottenham's mettle without Harry Kane, but manager Claudio Ranieri is taking nothing for granted.

Spurs head to Craven Cottage on Sunday without top scorer Kane, who faces two months on the sidelines with the ankle injury he suffered against Manchester United last weekend.

With Son Heung-min also absent, on international duty with South Korea at the Asian Cup, Spurs have lost the source of almost half of their 46 Premier League goals so far this season.

There is no doubt Tottenham have leant heavily on Kane in recent seasons but, contrary to popular belief, Ranieri believes they have plenty in reserve.

"Harry Kane is fantastic, an unbelievable striker, and Son was in very good condition," said Ranieri.

"But there are some good players. Tottenham is a fantastic team. They are fighting for four competitions.

"OK Harry Kane, he doesn't play now, so play Erik Lamela, play Lucas Moura. There are so many champions.

"For me it is important to prepare the team very well."

Fulham remain in a precarious position in the relegation zone following last weekend's 2-1 defeat against Burnley.

Fulham actually found the net three times at Turf Moor but, unfortunately for them, twice it was the wrong net.

However, Ranieri refuses to feel sorry for himself and insists Fulham need to make their own luck.

"My philosophy is always you have to fight, in every job. Because if you don't fight you are the loser," he said.

"I can lose a match. I want to fight until the end. I lose a match and there is another match. I want to restart. Again, again, again. At the end I have to win.

"This is my philosophy. Never give in. Never.

"I can lose, it's OK. I shake the hands of my opponent. 'Well done'. But after that I restart, stronger than before."

Ranieri will hand a debut to new signing Ryan Babel, probably from the bench, against Spurs.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/ranieri-spurs-are-fantastic-even-without-kane