https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (20/01/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 19, 2019, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WHO WANTS IT?

Joe Bryan, in the Times today.

Only posting this because it's a subject we return to again as fans over and over keep banging on about fight and whatnot which always seems slightly atavistic in that we're not in 1972 anymore and did Roy's team ever get angry ever?   Everything is reduced to how much players "want it".  Now Gary Cahill is not wanted because he's not sure about joining so obviously "he doesn't have the stomach for a relegation battle" or "really want to be here" and of course we "only want players who really want to be here".  As Bryan points out, it's a job, and Cahill, or anyone, is a professional and will do his best.  If you think he's good enough you sign him, if you don't, you don't.   It's simple.

That said, I think what we of course need is determination and focus and being well drilled.  I once spent a year sat next to my boss at work and that year I was absolutely on it, so I'm not saying that there aren't levels here.  The players need to be playing at the edge, have that bit extra and I can see that fans see players not having that, but as noted in this space in days gone by, that's probably more a function of lack of instruction and clear ideas of what's supposed to be happening rather than any inherent laziness, which was commonly considered to be the problem for a time.  Frankly there aren't many ways to look good losing every week and crashing into ridiculous sliding tackles doesn't really help either.

Anyway, it's an interesting article – here's a link to the article via Keith's twitter.

And so to Spurs.  It's at home and it should just about be dark so I'm quite optimistic.  The Cottage under lights is always a transformative experience for everyone in the ground and it should give the players and fans another 5% (which should make for 115% if they're already giving the 110% we need in a relegation battle) and with Spurs down a couple of key players, that's something.  That said, Spurs are the kind of well drilled, physical team to be able to punish timid teams who are prone to mistakes and maybe not playing at their peak, so it's a toughie isn't it?  Intriguing nevertheless.   Can't wait.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2019/01/20/what-about-pahsun/

WhiteJC

Ryan Babel: I didn't get the right guidance at Liverpool, now I want to show my potential at Fulham

Ryan Babel has his own 10-year challenge – to show his full potential in England a decade after leaving Liverpool, where he felt let down by successive managers and coaches.

The Dutch winger, now 32, has joined the social media craze comparing self-portraits from 10 years ago to now, and Babel feels he has matured enormously from the raw kid who left Ajax for Liverpool at 21 years old. Babel spent three troubled years at Anfield before leaving for Hoffenheim in 2011 and has now joined Fulham, his seventh move in the past eight years.

As Claudio Ranieri's side prepare to face Tottenham at Craven Cottage on Sunday, Babel wants to finally show an English audience what he can do. "I feel I've done so much in my career but a little part of me feels I still have unfinished business here in the Premier League," he said.

"I wanted to develop as they (Liverpool) had promised me before I joined, to be given the guidance I needed to become a better player. That didn't happen for a lot of different reasons and I didn't fulfil my potential. I was young. Maybe I should have stayed one or two more years in Holland. I had been living with my parents so it was the first time living abroad and by myself. There are lot of things coming at you at the same time - different country, different culture."

Rafael Benitez signed Babel, who also played under Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish, but he felt he never got the guidance he needed. "No, not from the coaches - you know like extra work, teaching me the English game. I came from Ajax where you play 4-3-3 and as a winger they didn't want you to defend.

"In the English 4-4-2 you have to change your mentality from a winger to a left midfielder, having to help your full-back. I was struggling with that, especially in my first year, and I don't think they taught me how to manage that properly. I had to find out myself and maybe that was why I wasn't playing consistently."

He also had a controversial image off the field, being fined £10,000 for improper conduct by the FA after tweeting a mocked-up image of Howard Webb wearing a Manchester United shirt after the referee had handled an FA Cup tie between the sides in 2011.

Babel acknowledged his mistake, but says his 'bad-boy' image was misconstrued. "There was nothing wrong with my attitude," he said.

"A lot of things that were written about me bothered me, like my mentality was not good. But I have never been a difficult person. I was always easy. I arrived on time, I was always professional."

He almost joined Tottenham and West Ham in 2010, but eventually went to Germany before returning to Ajax, where he spent a season alongside the fledgling talent of Christian Eriksen. Babel has been surprised how well the Dane has done since joining Tottenham.

"I was very sceptical about him going England after we played together in 2012. He was amazing technically but physically he didn't want to go into challenges. But he has amazed me and is an incredible player who is much stronger than he was before."

Fulham face an uphill battle to avoid relegation but Babel is up for the fight. "I am 10 years older, with much more experience of life and football I am more mature. It is a good challenge and I want to take this chance to see how I do now."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/19/ryan-babel-didnt-get-right-guidance-liverpool-now-want-show/