https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Has There Ever Been...

Started by ByTheRiver, January 20, 2019, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: snarks on January 22, 2019, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 22, 2019, 09:51:27 AM

I agree the effort was there. We spent a fortune, after all. For me it's more about a lack of skill, experience and competence, than effort.

I think Mawson and Chambers were good choices given their history etc. TFM not so much considering his time at CP. Given the market who else would you have gone for at CB at the time? (not a wind up or having a go a genuine question). I say this as the point everyone is making now is EPL experience, Cahill wasn't being touted as available, and in the summer transfer window, we would probably have said really we can do better. Most of the links were with CB's outside the EPL.

Don't get me wrong I was happy ish with the recruitment at the time, not so happy now, the leader is one thing we didn't get in our dealing, but that is hindsight not at the time.

I've probably already upset a few on here by banging on about it but for me it's about timing.

Chambers may well be a decent CB - we don;t know because weren't able to give him a practice environment/period with the other players because we signed him after a pre-season had finished. Mawson obviously was injured so a similar situation but out even longer.

If we'd had them in early July then I honestly reckon Jokanovic could have formed a viable CB pairing from two of Mawson, Chambers and MLM with Rico behind them and perhaps even Anguissa in front.

That would have mitigated our problems at full-back because Odoi, Sessegnon, Ream and one of MLM or Chambers would all have been potential alternates to Christie and Bryan.

Instead, we ended up replacing Jokanovic with a manager who plays 5 at the back which has just aggravated the problem.   

fcfulham55

Sent from my Nokia 3310

snarks

Quote from: Statto on January 22, 2019, 11:13:55 AM
Quote from: snarks on January 22, 2019, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 22, 2019, 09:51:27 AM

I agree the effort was there. We spent a fortune, after all. For me it's more about a lack of skill, experience and competence, than effort.

I think Mawson and Chambers were good choices given their history etc. TFM not so much considering his time at CP. Given the market who else would you have gone for at CB at the time? (not a wind up or having a go a genuine question). I say this as the point everyone is making now is EPL experience, Cahill wasn't being touted as available, and in the summer transfer window, we would probably have said really we can do better. Most of the links were with CB's outside the EPL.

Don't get me wrong I was happy ish with the recruitment at the time, not so happy now, the leader is one thing we didn't get in our dealing, but that is hindsight not at the time.

I've probably already upset a few on here by banging on about it but for me it's about timing.

Chambers may well be a decent CB - we don;t know because weren't able to give him a practice environment/period with the other players because we signed him after a pre-season had finished. Mawson obviously was injured so a similar situation but out even longer.

If we'd had them in early July then I honestly reckon Jokanovic could have formed a viable CB pairing from two of Mawson, Chambers and MLM with Rico behind them and perhaps even Anguissa in front.

That would have mitigated our problems at full-back because Odoi, Sessegnon, Ream and one of MLM or Chambers would all have been potential alternates to Christie and Bryan.

Instead, we ended up replacing Jokanovic with a manager who plays 5 at the back which has just aggravated the problem.   

True, the shorter transfer window didn't really help us either, as other clubs had to make decisions on letting players go/ be available relatively closely from the end of pre season prior to season start.

the nutflush

Ask the stats men.  I would think...computer says no.

ByTheRiver

This. So much this.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 22, 2019, 12:21:00 PM

This. So much this.

+1

Very good post Statto.

WindyCity

Very much back to the drawing board :(
[/quote]

So true, and that's a big rub.  I fear League 1 in short order.  I know many here are saying we need to prepare for the Champ next season, but I still feel that the club should do all possible to survive this campaign.  I know it's next to impossible at this point, but if FFC could survive, they could get this team 'right' during the upcoming off season.  Otherwise, I see a long wait for a Prem return.....

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: WindyCity on January 22, 2019, 03:26:54 PM

So true, and that's a big rub.  I fear League 1 in short order.  I know many here are saying we need to prepare for the Champ next season, but I still feel that the club should do all possible to survive this campaign.  I know it's next to impossible at this point, but if FFC could survive, they could get this team 'right' during the upcoming off season.  Otherwise, I see a long wait for a Prem return.....
[/quote]

Why league one in short order?

WindyCity

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on January 22, 2019, 03:48:55 PM
Quote from: WindyCity on January 22, 2019, 03:26:54 PM

Why league one in short order?

Why?  Well, new coach (CR will be gone), Sess, Mitro, TC and others gone.  Would be starting all over with basically a new squad and new leadership and the few 'good' players we have now will likely not be here.  I recall in the last relegation FFC was very near bottom in the Champ and extremely close to going down again.  I think the disappointment of a terrible Prem campaign, that had high expectations, would carry over to whatever the new squad looks like.  Just, imho, a big mental mountain to climb, along with the physical/technical.  Hope I'm wrong about that, but it nearly happened the last time FFC was dropped, could easily see a double relegation.

[/quote]