watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We need to talk about Sergio Rico

Started by andyk, January 20, 2019, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyk

i thought the team was brilliant today.  Every outfield player gave it 100% .  We defended well, hassled well and, in the first half, looked very threatening on the break.  For the most part Spurs didn't get a cross in, or a shot on goal.  They managed a couple of crosses in the first half, one of which was headed straight at Rico, who batted it back into the six yard box in front of goal, luckily MLM had his wits about him and cleared.
Their first goal.  Ok Ream misses it, fine.  The ball is then gently lobbed into the box, not whipped in quickly, not fired in from the byline, gently curled towards the six yard box.  Rico has all day to see it and if that had been at the other end, Lloris would have taken that ball  and anyone else, defender or attacker, who got in the way.

A cross came in later in the half which Rico misjudged and palmed back into the danger area in front of goal, another lucky escape.

Second goal.  Another header, from 4 yards out, by a player who is about 5 foot nothing.  Rico is 6 ft 4 and he again stood on his line.
Any decent keeeper would have taken that cross, all day long.

Never mind the fact that he had possession of the ball, with 1 min to go.  Just fall down, lie on the ball, then prat around for 30 seconds, then launch the ball into their left back position.  Don't give them possession to launch a final attack.

Sorry he's not good enough.

The defence were magnificent today, they restricted Tottenham to a couple of speculative crosses, from outside the box, which any half decent keeper would have dealt with.

Betts would be betterthan Rico,  but we should probably blow whatever money we have on a top class keeper

One Martin Thomas

Can't agree Betz is better than Rico but I do wonder about the other keeper we are about to let go !

Deeping_white

Betts better than Rico? I'll have whatever you're smoking. Both goals are defensive errors, the first one is a Ream special with odoi ducking under a cross and the second is just a joke, nobody doing their job properly. He had every right to launch the ball at the end, there was not one player in the Spurs half, a point wasn't good enough and we needed three. Perhaps look at Ryan Sessegnon who literally stood 5 yards from the Spurs player who eventually played the hall forward and didn't make a move to try and close him down, when he should be busting a gut after coming on as a substitute 

milis

Neither of our three keepers are EPL quality. With that said, IMHO Rico is still slightly better than other two.

andyk

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 20, 2019, 07:06:15 PM
Betts better than Rico? I'll have whatever you're smoking. Both goals are defensive errors, the first one is a Ream special with odoi ducking under a cross and the second is just a joke, nobody doing their job properly. He had every right to launch the ball at the end, there was not one player in the Spurs half, a point wasn't good enough and we needed three. Perhaps look at Ryan Sessegnon who literally stood 5 yards from the Spurs player who eventually played the hall forward and didn't make a move to try and close him down, when he should be busting a gut after coming on as a substitute 

Rico has good positional sense, and he gets in the way of shots from distance.  He's not bad at distribution.  But he doesn't come for crosses, even when the ball is in the 6 yard box.  He has to command that space, every keeper will tell you that.  Odoi probably thought that was a keepers ball all day long, so rather than risking a deflection, let him deal with it.
Fact is that Rico doesn't leave his line, because when he does he usually flaps about and misses it.  So the cowards way out, stay put and hope for the best. 
Not good enough and he is going to get us relegated.
The defence were brilliant today and if they can keep the ball away from our goal we have a chance.

But Rico is a liability.  Certainly the worst keeper in the Prem at the moment.

Spirit of 2000

Rico was poor today... Betts is no better but will be our no.1 next season when Rico will be gone. On that basis maybe some merit in recalling him. Whoever the keeper is we're going down regardless.

Deeping_white

Quote from: andyk on January 20, 2019, 07:11:12 PM

Rico has good positional sense, and he gets in the way of shots from distance.  He's not bad at distribution.  But he doesn't come for crosses, even when the ball is in the 6 yard box.  He has to command that space, every keeper will tell you that.  Odoi probably thought that was a keepers ball all day long, so rather than risking a deflection, let him deal with it.
Fact is that Rico doesn't leave his line, because when he does he usually flaps about and misses it.  So the cowards way out, stay put and hope for the best. 
The defence were brilliant today and if they can keep the ball away from our goal we have a chance.

Did you watch the game? Defence were not brilliant in the slightest because if they were then Ream wouldn't make the mistake he does for the first goal, and what are you on about with Ofoi thinking it's the keepers ball? If don't get a shout then you get rid of it, I can't believe you're actually defending individual mistakes and claiming Rico is the worst keeper in the PL. Go and have a watch of the Liverpool game yesterday because those highlights will instantly show you that Speroni is miles worse than Rico. You could make some half decent points but your OTT defence of Ream and Odoi (who shaft us week in week out) to say Rico is the worst keeper in the PL is laughable

mancwhite

Just got back today - so not seen replays of goals - but from where I was Rico had to come for that ball in the last minute. Chambers was immense today a real captain I would say, he kept telling Rico to take his time Mitrovic is never going to outrun a d fender from a high ball. Truth is we didn't need two new foreign goalkeepers who were going to take some time to adapt to the Premier League even if they were excellent. Even DeGea best in the world took a long time to adapt. Button and Betts were more than adequate and it was only worth bringing in a really top class goalie proven in English football.
Your just too good to be true Fulham

mancwhite

Just got back today - so not seen replays of goals - but from where I was Rico had to come for that ball in the last minute. Chambers was immense today a real captain I would say, he kept telling Rico to take his time Mitrovic is never going to outrun a d fender from a high ball. Truth is we didn't need two new foreign goalkeepers who were going to take some time to adapt to the Premier League even if they were excellent. Even DeGea best in the world took a long time to adapt. Button and Betts were more than adequate and it was only worth bringing in a really top class goalie proven in English football.
Your just too good to be true Fulham

andyk

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 20, 2019, 07:21:41 PM

Did you watch the game? Defence were not brilliant in the slightest because if they were then Ream wouldn't make the mistake he does for the first goal, and what are you on about with Ofoi thinking it's the keepers ball? If don't get a shout then you get rid of it, I can't believe you're actually defending individual mistakes and claiming Rico is the worst keeper in the PL. Go and have a watch of the Liverpool game yesterday because those highlights will instantly show you that Speroni is miles worse than Rico. You could make some half decent points but your OTT defence of Ream and Odoi (who shaft us week in week out) to say Rico is the worst keeper in the PL is laughable

Speroni is virtually retired. He was called in as an emergency after injuries to the other keepers.  He hasn't played for ages and was way off the pace, but I felt a bit sorry for him, because he was probably preparing for a coaching role and didn't expect to be plunged into the first team at Anfield. 
If Rico was our third choice, and nearly 40 years old I might be more sympathetic.  But , at least, Speroni went for the crosses. 
That last minute goal was shocking.  Rico almost takes a step back to give Winks the space.  He has to claim that ball, just step forward and punch, it was so phucking easy.

jarv

I agree he should have not frozen on the line, two very soft crosses, keepers ball all day. The keeper we missed out on from Swansea is doing very well...in Cardiff I believe.

Nero

Im surprised all our Goalkeepers are suffering from PTSD are playing behind our defence

Andy S

Forget how good or bad the players were the Referee had a mayor and had no support from his linesmen.
Some of the decisions were woeful

grandad

Quote from: Andy S on January 20, 2019, 07:45:26 PM
Forget how good or bad the players were the Referee had a mayor and had no support from his linesmen.
Some of the decisions were woeful
There were supposed to be 3 mins added time so how come their winner came at 3 mins 48seconds. Where did the 48 seconds come from in added time? Smacks of Fergie time.
Where there's a will there's a wife

LVBPTS

It is always stated as "a minimum of .... Minutes"

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Supporter since 2000

Facts Not Fiction

Whats Bettinelli then?

LVBPTS

Worst keeper in the league?! Are you sure! He's been man of the match more than the majority of the squad put together and is comfortably better than 50% of the keepers in the league. Let's see where he ends up next season

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Supporter since 2000

Statto

Bettinelli doesn't come for crosses. In 5-6 years playing for Fulham, I don't think he has ever claimed a cross where it involved coming more than 18 inches off his line and/or competing with another player.

In any case one mistake from Rico doesn't suddenly make him a Championship 'keeper

fulham traveller

The worse thing about tne goal, was giving tne ballaway with 30 seconds to go, should of played tne time down. A point would be decent to build on

BarneyTravers

Absolutely right Fulham Traveller...absolutely right.