watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

To put it all into perspective

Started by sunburywhite, January 21, 2019, 09:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Some 60 years ago my dad took me to see my first game in tail end of 1959 and I was hooked

I managed to get him to Hamburg for the final in 2010, which was as much for me as it was for him, and even managing to miss the bus back to the hotel. In those days he could still walk quite well even though he was then 80

Sadly 10 days ago he went to the great dressing room in the sky to talk to J Haynes about where it was all going wrong

Also sadly Parkinsons and other issues contributed to make him not the man he was and as sad as it is to lose him sometimes things happen for the best

As a firend of mine has just said "once an adult twice a child"

So all this talk of relegation is nothing in the greater scheme of things
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

hovewhite

Condolences Sunbury white on the passing of the Fulham family.RIP

Jimpav

Sorry to hear that Sunbury White.

Massive kudos for getting your Dad out to Hamburg, that's a fantastic memory to have shared together and one that not many Fulham fans could have shared.

JoelH5

Sorry to hear that mate and you're right. There are a lot of things in life, a lot more important than our form. It does sound like you guys had some amazing times together!
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Milo

So sorry to hear this, Sunburywhite. Sounds like some fantastic memories.

Have you considered sending the club an email for a mention at the next home game?

toshes mate

Sorry for your loss, sunburywhite.  Your perspective is thoughtful and moving.

LVBPTS

same as all the above. im very close with my dad so cant imagine being in that position just yet but you are bang on. everything in perspective
Supporter since 2000

Camel Club

My condolences. Take some comfort from your Dad seeing the club he loved play in a major European final. I can still remember my tears after the final whistle of the second leg of the semi final at the Cottage against Hamburg. In all the euphoria at that moment I just wished the man who had introduced me to Fulham had been there to share that moment with me.

Jamie88

Condolences sunburywhite, glad that he managed to witness one of our greatest moments in 2010.
Quite right too that football is nowhere near as important as we often feel it is.

RaySmith

Very sad to hear your news sunbury.

It was my own father who first took me to Fulham, for which I am indebted to him, even though he was a Palace fan.

As your heading says - such things put it all into perspective. At least Fulham FC is still here, to provide shared memories through generations of fans, and our present concerns are as nothing compared to the fundamentally important things in life..

Fernhurst

Deepest condolences Sunbury, football is a sport that is never as important as family.

I can not visit our beloved Cottage without thinking of my Dad and brother. Our club gives us an opportunity to pay respects to our family each time we attend, for that I am eternally grateful.

The Fulham family are all with you Sunbury.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

HV71

Very very sad SunburyWhite - but your post was very poignant and thank you for sharing the memories of your father with us. Losing your father is a very testing time but the golden memories you have last forever. My condolences to you.

I Ronic

Condolences Sunbury, like you, Fernhurst and probably lots of others my first few seasons were in the company of Uncles Ted, Roger, Billy and Raymond. From under the shadow of Fulham Power Station we'd pile into Uncles Raymonds little van. Him driving and smoking a cigar. Uncles Billy and Roger talking about horse racing and Ted questioning me about all and sundry. I remember it every time I sit in the Hammy and look across to the Puntney End near the Cottage where we all used to stand. I saw Haynes, Cohen, Robson Macedo and Conway in those early visits. Can't really remember who we played or the score (Which would be a useful trick to have atm) They're also all gone now. They never knew about the Europa season and I doubt Raymonds van or.his cigar would of made it all that way. All those years ago were and still are amongst the happiest memories I have.
So Mr Ranieri if you could get us out of trouble, there's a fair few pirates watching from the clouds who'd appriate it as well.

Carborundum

Condolences to you and your family.

I've found that when parent and child have a shared love of football, the job of being a parent becomes a little less hard.  Many of life's lessons get learned through playing and watching it.  Those lessons and the way they are taught are perhaps the real treasure we leave behind.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 21, 2019, 09:36:13 PM
Some 60 years ago my dad took me to see my first game in tail end of 1959 and I was hooked

I managed to get him to Hamburg for the final in 2010, which was as much for me as it was for him, and even managing to miss the bus back to the hotel. In those days he could still walk quite well even though he was then 80

Sadly 10 days ago he went to the great dressing room in the sky to talk to J Haynes about where it was all going wrong

Also sadly Parkinsons and other issues contributed to make him not the man he was and as sad as it is to lose him sometimes things happen for the best

As a firend of mine has just said "once an adult twice a child"

So all this talk of relegation is nothing in the greater scheme of things

Very sorry to hear about your Dad passing away. Incredibly, this morning just before I went on to FoF and seeing your posting, I was drafting a letter to my Dad, thanking him for taking me to my first Fulham match in 1959 (when I was 10 year old) to see Fulham vs Sheffield Wednesday on Good Friday - a match that we won 6-2 (and were promoted to the old first division at the end of the season), and I remember standing on the terracing in front of (what is now) the Johnny Haynes stand. My Dad is 96 years old and very unwell in hospital.

bog

Sorry to read your posting and learn of your father's passing. My father passed away 39 years ago, every game I go to I think of him and the older I now become the more I well up.  Commiserations to all your family.

Mickeyboro

Condolences, Sunbury. My dad brought me to the first game of the post-Haynes era. I forgave him eventually....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly Mammoth

My deepest sympathy Sunburywhite, and of course it does bring everything into perspective.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Delboy

Lovely reference to that great dressing room in the sky. I'm sure he would be proud of that eulogy SW. Well done.