watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Shades of Liverpool 2014

Started by Surrey_FFC, January 22, 2019, 11:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surrey_FFC

Firstly, thought we played really well on Sunday and for the most part matched up to a still strong Tottenham side only being undone by some basic defensive errors which have plagued our season. Have to say as well that the first half was probably one of the most enjoyable I've seen all season or at least since Ranieri.

On the way home however, I suddenly reminded myself of the game at the Cottage against Liverpool in 2014, 2-2 heading into extra time only to concede a penalty and lose 3-2, signalling the end of Rene and start of some bizarre and ultimately chaotic decisions that led to relegation and struggling in the Championship.

On that day I thought we played really well, the team looked more balanced and we really gave Liverpool a game much like we did on Sunday and I thought we may have turned the corner then and I thought we may have been doing the same on Sunday until the last minute goal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are lessons to be learnt from the past and I hope we don't make any rash, knee-jerk decisions in the last few days of the window, which could impact us either now or in whatever division we end up in next year because of the result.

Mainly I'm just curious as to whether anyone else made this link to the Liverpool game or had these thoughts at all?

I haven't given up either, not until it is mathematically impossible and after all we were technically relegated at half time at Man City all those years ago and look how that turned out. We need a run of course, similar to Burnley's recent revival which will be difficult but I'll believe until the end!

RaySmith

Good, thoughtful  post Surrey.

I remember that Liverpool game, which was right after us drawing at Old Trafford wasn't it? - obviously a cause for hope, then we were level with Liverpool until that pen. Gutting, just like last Saturday was, and the end of Rene. Then remember going to see us v Hull at home - they clawed a draw back in the final minutes, gutting again, then i went up to Stoke for the penultimate game of the season, and we were hammered, and were down.

Yeah, simimilar to this season in that we  seemed to turn a corner, and had grounds for hope, but luck was against us, with some hearbreaking last minute results.

I also remember that City game, which i attended. The talk at half time in the concourse, was that we were down, but then there was that glorious second half comeback, with Danny Murphy's defence splitting  passes to Kamara, who was suddenly on fire, the  pen, missed, and Danny put in the rebound.
Words can hardly describe the Fulham fans' reaction.

So I live in hope after the last two battling, but ultimately gutting, displays. and won't give up until survival is  mathematically impossible. I believe it's still all to play for.

Sgt Fulham

It's funny you bring this up. I took a mate to that game and was having this exact discussion with him the other day. We played well and should have won, or at least got a point. Then we do something stupid (Riether/last minute goal) and we lose. It's not bad luck when it happens this often. It's ineptitude and it sucks because those players did everything else right.

I seem to remember that United game where we didn't get at least a couple of blatant penalties. Then soon after, the soul crushing Hull game, after which we all knew we were going down.

nose returns

I do recall the game in question and have mentioned more than once, especially as how we were very unlucky against Liverpool this season and joca lost his job after that. But the big difference between then and now was before the liverpool game in 2014 we had just got a brilliant draw away at Man utd 2 2 with an unusual team selection and we were clearly turning a corner as rene i think had been a bit overwhelmed by poor results but good performances and lost his way and was re focused and I think deserved a longer chance abd as it turned out Magath was a disaster and rene was a much better bet than that!

This season I think jioca was similar. I think we started well enough but he was overwhelmed by poor results and not really having the right players to substantially turn it round especially after TC was injured against Burnley. we had been very poor in a number of games after that but i thought the Liverpool game offered hope and I am fairly certain we would have beaten southampton anyway which would have potentially been a springboard for improvement. as it is the owner did what he seems to best and not learn. I believe with a kind of crystal clarity that was obvious to me, the change was far too early and the new man completely wrong, just as jol was wrong and magath was wrong. his credential was he won a title with leicester but he also got the sack within a few games of that and he had a different set of circumstances.

my head gave up when we sacked joca, my heart never gives up until it is a fact.