Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, January 23, 2019, 01:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

In tonights results on the BBC site.

Results in order:

League 1
League 2
Womens International friendlies
EFL Trophy results (inc Man City under-21's)
The Asia Cup
Nationa lLeague
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

SWSixer

Jamie88

No idea what you're talking about roger!

Fulham 442

Presumably you think the Women's International Friendly results should be listed last? In these days of admittedly sometimes PC madness I really don't see this as an example!

Jimpav

Women should know their place by now?

Holders

So internationals were listed after leagues 1&2 because they were friendlies not competitive games?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Slaphead in Qatar

I think Rogers irony is lost on the masses here.

Baszab

I get it and fully agree with Roger's post - whatever it means .... which we mustn't say anyway in case it offends anyone

Fulham 442

I get it and fully agree with Roger's post - whatever it means .... which we mustn't say anyway in case it offends anyone

:005:

Berserker

I'm a women and not sure what Roger is on about

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

Maybe internationals should be listed above Leagues 1 and  2?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

H4usuallysitting

It all went wrong when we gave them the vote

BedsFFC

On one hand, I agree about the politically correct bbc. I watch some dramas and you can hear the producers desperatly trying to get some pc content in.

This often takes away from the drama as it just doesnt seem real and so obviosuly staged. We sat down to watch Silent Witness last night. 25 mins in, it was just too much but this was mainly the script. Nobody in my family knew anyone that said the things that any of the cast said. It was just trying so hard. Sad to say, the US makes far better drama at the moment

But, I'm a forty something white bloke. Maybe I just dont get it. (I am aware of that)

In regards the order of resuts, I have no idea of the point or joke. It's gone over my head

Twig

Actually we really enjoyed last night's silent witness and I don't agree that the US makes better drama (it isn't that simple because a lot of high value dramas are jointly funded anyway). Examples of recent good "British" dramas include; Vanity Fair, The Bodyguard, The Unforgotten, The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl.  They may not all be to everyone's taste but a pretty impressive list of examples.

To the OP I have no idea what he is on about!

MJG

Quote from: Twig on January 23, 2019, 11:38:39 AM
Actually we really enjoyed last night's silent witness and I don't agree that the US makes better drama (it isn't that simple because a lot of high value dramas are jointly funded anyway). Examples of recent good "British" dramas include; Vanity Fair, The Bodyguard, The Unforgotten, The Night Manager and The Little Drummer Girl.  They may not all be to everyone's taste but a pretty impressive list of examples.

I'd add Killing Eve to that which was a BBC America production but basically British.

TV drama and quality of it from around the world is at a peak. Lots of great stuff on the hundreds of different services that are available.
Just the views of a long term fan

Westlondonffc

The other day on the main BBC football page they had a story about Birmingham appointing a new manager. I thought that's strange, they've got Garry Monk. Turns out it was the women's team

RaySmith

Killing Eve was a very good, very successful drama, with a British cast and production. It was pc, I suppose, in that if featured women in the main roles.
The Bodyguard another recent brilliant political  thriller, Line of Duty, The Little Drummer Girl, Les Misérables, American  psychological drama series The Sinner, and Scandi  thriller series like The Killing, all excellent and on the BBC, and now there is cross programming with other channels like Netflix - and are they bothered about anything other than 'will people watch this?'

nose returns

Quote from: Twig on January 23, 2019, 11:38:39 AM

I know it is off topicish but IMO, and I do like drama, on a consistent basis of grown up stuff with brilliant layerd charecterisations, dialogue and challenging ideas and concepts, British drama is miles ahead of US stuff. I like some US stuff but it rarely has the depth of ours. the light and shade is rarely there in US drama, that is not to say it is not enjoyable, but it is less challenging and the charecters generally far more predictable. The same goes for comedy too.

The americans excel at light, romantic sentimental stuff (which i like too,and as a result I spent all December watching films about santa being real, living next door  to a newly widowed woman with a child with behavioral problems, and then santa resolving the issues by finding her a handsome man to fall in love with. The plot is always the same and there is often a cute dog too!).  We can't do that as well as them.

Baszab

Without being accused of being misogynist/ Maga pro-Trump/ right wing nazi/ Brexiteer etc

I would like to make a simple point that the popularity of mainstream women's football is extremely small. Any attempt by BBC to promote it as mainstream sucks of PC

I am not degrading female participation just commenting that the popularity and appeal of Womens' football is as a minority sport at the present time

There.... I've put it out in the open - I hope I have not upset anyone

Sting of the North

Quote from: Baszab on January 23, 2019, 12:24:26 PM
Without being accused of being misogynist/ Maga pro-Trump/ right wing nazi/ Brexiteer etc

I would like to make a simple point that the popularity of mainstream women's football is extremely small. Any attempt by BBC to promote it as mainstream sucks of PC

I am not degrading female participation just commenting that the popularity and appeal of Womens' football is as a minority sport at the present time

There.... I've put it out in the open - I hope I have not upset anyone

Well, isn't the BBC publicly funded? There may then be a point in promoting women's football more (in regards to popularity, in total women's football gets basically no coverage as compared to men's). The theory is probably that by giving a more equal representation the popularity levels will over time get closer.

By the way, to use the term PC as a general negative has always seemed strange to me. Care to explain why this is an issue at all in this case?