Main Menu

Chairmans Notes

Started by Barry White, February 08, 2019, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Some brilliant posts here!

The Old Count

Quote from: General on February 09, 2019, 11:00:57 AM
Actions speak louder then words. He thought he could trust his son with doing things properly, one day he'll realise it's that belief that's holding us back.

As a club with assets and as a chairman who wants to be taken seriously regarding his ownership of the club, had he sold those players having bought them in having finally got us into the premiership after less than six month, then his ambition level for the ownership of this club would rightly need to be called into question, not just that of his son's overbearing influence.

If anything the statement smacks of a disenchanted owner.. al fayed may not have had the same resources available but the success of this club he took extremely seriously. The figures involved mattered to him and so did the success of his teams and the players he brought in.. it wasn't a game for him, it was a passion for the right people to do the job properly.

Shahid may have spent 100£m but for him that's the equivalent of any one of us going into a township or slum and giving 100£ to someone and expecting them to agree to whatever you say. For him it's as insignificant a sum.. turning down that amount for players is falsely noble thing to suggest and do.. it counts for nothing.

If anything it's just all been a waste since he's been here.. since he's come in the club have been all over the place.. he needs to get a serious grip of this club, set genuine targets he cares for and put proper football people in key positions.

I've seen nothing but this club floundering since he and his son took over the club and something has to change. Otherwise he's going to start destroying the soul of this club and then the club itself.

The club started floundering when Mr Al Fayed perceived a lack of support and loyalty from the supporters albeit regarding one of his foibles.  It was then that he ceased to invest in the club and prepared it for sale. Mr Khan has been swimming against the tide since he took over. A lack of knowledge and experience hampered his efforts and when he seemed to be getting it right things went wrong - almost excusably wrong given the difficulties in recruiting players with the shorter window, world cup etc.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Fulham76 on February 09, 2019, 10:17:19 AM
I really am struggling to see what the Khans have done wrong....??

They have treated the club & fans with nothing but respect since they took over. They have invested throughout their ownership, on & off the pitch & that would have cost them several millions of personal funds during our time in the championship.

Promotion last season was brilliant, the day a Wembley even better, and they followed that up by spending over £100m on new players. Unbelievable for a club like ours to spend that sort of money & shows ultimate commitment from the Khans.
SK's reaction at the final whistle, the relief, was like the rest of us & suggests to me he's desperate for us to succeed. And TK celebrating on the pitch with the players also says a lot.
All this on top of the developments at Motspur Park & the potential Riverside development.

Things aren't going well this season & we will be back in the championship next season but to butcher the Khans like a lot of us seem to be doing is wrong.

They've certainly made mistakes, the manager needs input in the recruitment process for example & maybe TK has, or wants to get too close to the team & team selection, he's not qualified for that.

That said, based on what I've seen over the last 5 years, I'm more than happy with the way they're running things - 2 play offs & a promotion isn't too horrendous.

I hope they're here in another 5 years.

I agree.

It's tough having a billionaire owner, though.  We've really got it rough.  I do think TK should be replaced, however - after all, the grass is always greener on the other side - and it would at last shut people up on the matter.

Arthur

Quote from: Twig on February 09, 2019, 10:56:40 AM
Quote from: Arthur on February 08, 2019, 11:46:27 PM
Quote from: Twig on February 08, 2019, 04:03:51 PM
What a load of PR garbage.  Totally pointless and insults the intelligence of us as supporters.  What does he think he is running, a car spares company?

If this is you 'emphatically not turning on our owner', I can't imagine how acerbic your remarks will be if ever the day comes that you do.

My comments were about the PR piece and not the owner. Read my comments properly. BTW the bit about what does he think he is running etc were meant as a lighthearted close.

With such an abrupt tone to your post, I think you're expecting too much for those of us reading it to infer such a clear distinction between the message and the messenger. And while it was evident that your closing remark was a witticism (hence my use of the word 'acerbic') it could just as easily have been intended as a facetious remark as a light-hearted one.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 09, 2019, 12:59:45 AM
All the liquidator would have to do is i) sell the land in Fulham to a property developer, ii) sell all the big players to another team (like Chelsea) who resell them and iii) sell what remains to the Fans for £2, which could all be done by 1st August 2019.

Absolute rubbish. Anyone who buys this club has to spend a fortune on all the due diligence involved in any large M&A transaction, in addition to the FA fit and proper process etc for football clubs. Then with the players, there's no guarantee as to what sale prices they'll achieve or when they'll be sold, and for every week it takes to sell them, theyre draining £1m+ in wages from the club. A significant amount would have been paid for the goodwill, IP etc in the business and that immediately becomes worthless if its broken up. This "liquidator" also needs to go through a separate process to offload Motspur Park, and anyone looking to develop the ground itself has to work around two structures (the Stevenage Rd stand and Cottage) which can never be knocked down, so it's a far less attractive site than any empty plot or old block of flats half a mile up the river. I repeat, the whole process would take absolutely years and involve so much cost, uncertainty and frustration that unless Khan literally gives the club away, no one is going to make any money from liquidating it.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on February 09, 2019, 04:15:31 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 09, 2019, 12:59:45 AM
All the liquidator would have to do is i) sell the land in Fulham to a property developer, ii) sell all the big players to another team (like Chelsea) who resell them and iii) sell what remains to the Fans for £2, which could all be done by 1st August 2019.

Absolute rubbish. Anyone who buys this club has to spend a fortune on all the due diligence involved in any large M&A transaction, in addition to the FA fit and proper process etc for football clubs. Then with the players, there's no guarantee as to what sale prices they'll achieve or when they'll be sold, and for every week it takes to sell them, theyre draining £1m+ in wages from the club. A significant amount would have been paid for the goodwill, IP etc in the business and that immediately becomes worthless if its broken up. This "liquidator" also needs to go through a separate process to offload Motspur Park, and anyone looking to develop the ground itself has to work around two structures (the Stevenage Rd stand and Cottage) which can never be knocked down, so it's a far less attractive site than any empty plot or old block of flats half a mile up the river. I repeat, the whole process would take absolutely years and involve so much cost, uncertainty and frustration that unless Khan literally gives the club away, no one is going to make any money from liquidating it.

Your quote is 100% right "Unless Khan literally gives the club away, no one is going to make any money from liquidating it."

HV71

Quote from: Twig on February 09, 2019, 11:02:46 AM
Quote from: Fulham76 on February 09, 2019, 10:17:19 AM
I really am struggling to see what the Khans have done wrong....??

They have treated the club & fans with nothing but respect since they took over. They have invested throughout their ownership, on & off the pitch & that would have cost them several millions of personal funds during our time in the championship.

Promotion last season was brilliant, the day a Wembley even better, and they followed that up by spending over £100m on new players. Unbelievable for a club like ours to spend that sort of money & shows ultimate commitment from the Khans.
SK's reaction at the final whistle, the relief, was like the rest of us & suggests to me he's desperate for us to succeed. And TK celebrating on the pitch with the players also says a lot.
All this on top of the developments at Motspur Park & the potential Riverside development.

Things aren't going well this season & we will be back in the championship next season but to butcher the Khans like a lot of us seem to be doing is wrong.

They've certainly made mistakes, the manager needs input in the recruitment process for example & maybe TK has, or wants to get too close to the team & team selection, he's not qualified for that.

That said, based on what I've seen over the last 5 years, I'm more than happy with the way they're running things - 2 play offs & a promotion isn't too horrendous.

I hope they're here in another 5 years.

I don't understand why you are struggling. The fundamental mistake was nepotism. For the Chairman to put his son in the Director of Football role ignored all logic. Would you condone putting a marketing person in a CFO role or a banker as Head of Engineering? That's how daft it was.

I repeat, I don't want the Khans out, they seem like decent owners. Just hire the right people for the right jobs.

Twig - you are spot on

Woolly Mammoth

It's not very funny that the same old names trot out their blind rose tinted view by preaching holyer than thou lectures by sticking their deluded heads in the sand and trying to defend the indefensible. Whilst attempting to take the moral high ground in a condescending pompous manner against the realistic poster who can see a storm coming.
Instead of having no ambition and moaning about the owners receiving constructive criticism, either move on, or support another club, but don't moan about the moaners who are realist and the ones that generally do care.
If you want to be easily pleased and fobbed off, whilst pandering to failure, then so be it, just carry on with your head buried in the sand, whilst the ship sinks. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Denver Fulham

Getting instarelegated, taking two years to figure things out in the Championship, and getting instarelegated again isn't a great track record, but I did enjoy the 18 months between December 2017 and May 2019 immensely. In some ways, we've had it better than someone like Everton, who just joylessly mucks through 45-point season after season in the PL with seemingly no real point to it.

I thought the program note was quite tone-deaf, but overall, we're in pretty decent hands. Easier to continue to figure things out operationally than it is to find another multibillionaire who wants to dump huge resources into the club, imo. Hearts are in the right place. Heads continue to be erratic. It could be a lot worse.