News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Does anyone still drink light and bitter?

Started by f321ffc, February 09, 2019, 10:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f321ffc

Down here in deepest darkest Devon I usually drink cider( I am a cider drinker oooh Arrr  oooh arr heee ooo Arrr oooh arrr hee) fook me on a   Night on the pop I fancied a pint of lager then for old time sake  I fancied a light and bitter, can't remember the last time I had a light and bitter but not only did the bar staff not know what I wanted but after explaining what I wanted they proceded to charge me fooking £2-20 more for a light and bitter than a pint of lager, is that the norm up there in the south east, light and bitter was always cheaper than lager when I lived up there.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Jimpav

Worked the bar about 15 years ago and even then it was still a rare request,
Didn't have a clue what it was the first time I was asked to serve one.

ScalleysDad

You can get one in the Youngs pub in Exeter, The City Gate, and after explaining it The Grove in Exmouth. In the Spoons Teignmouth it arrived to the table as two halves and I had to go and ask for a pint glass.......which took some doing. Bonkers
I wonder if the world would come crashing down if I asked for a brown and mild

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 09, 2019, 11:34:47 PM
You can get one in the Youngs pub in Exeter, The City Gate, and after explaining it The Grove in Exmouth. In the Spoons Teignmouth it arrived to the table as two halves and I had to go and ask for a pint glass.......which took some doing. Bonkers

Do you live Exeter way?

Woolly Mammoth

I might start drinking it after watching Fulham all season.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

CorkCity

I played for torquay United back in my glory days. Anything Devon related is good to me
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

grandad

I owned a pub in Somerset & there was one old boy who always asked for a L & B. He said it was because you got slightly more than a straight pint of bitter. He went mad when I measured out exactly a half of bitter & gave him a bottle of light.
There is also the argument about whether the head forms part of a pint. The Law states that it is not, however a 1 inch head reduces the amount of liquid by 1.5 oz meaning more profit on a cask. The oddity is the Manchester pint where the head fills about 1.5 th of the glass. You wathc Corrie & you will see.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Jem

I used to drink it when I was at college at The Two Brewers in Morgate. We used to get about 3/4 of a pint of bitter and a bottle of light ale. When a new manager came in and measured the half pint most of us left for another pub.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Holders

Quote from: grandad on February 10, 2019, 08:31:39 AM
I owned a pub in Somerset & there was one old boy who always asked for a L & B. He said it was because you got slightly more than a straight pint of bitter. He went mad when I measured out exactly a half of bitter & gave him a bottle of light.
There is also the argument about whether the head forms part of a pint. The Law states that it is not, however a 1 inch head reduces the amount of liquid by 1.5 oz meaning more profit on a cask. The oddity is the Manchester pint where the head fills about 1.5 th of the glass. You wathc Corrie & you will see.

Precisely right, you get a bit more that way, that's why a friend of mine used to drink it. It also pees me off when you take your pint glass back and ask for a half - and they measure it out! I like to get what we used to call a "Sussex half". I think that the difference in the head is between southern and northern beer. Some glasses nowadays have pint lines on them.

The other thing that the kids that serve behind bars these days don't understand is a special one beer shandy. I once got special one beer with lemonade! No! a shandy is bitter and lemonade unless you ask for special one beer instead. It's less sweet that way.

Mr 321 - where do you get decent cider in Devon? It's getting much harder to find - except places like the Cider Bar, Warren House and Rugglestone of course.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ScalleysDad

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 12:32:12 AM

Do you live Exeter way?

Yup. Exeter itself although on the forum members map I seem to be in the middle of a peat bog on Dartmoor. There is a slight upside though in that I have missed most of the carnage at The Cottage this season. I don't think a weekend has gone by when the trains were not screwed up and getting back just as Match of the Day started started to get a bit tedious.

I had forgotten all about the prospect of getting two thirds of a pint and then a bottle. You will get exactly half these days and actually I don't think light ale in bottles is readily available now. Our local has a whole section of hipster, micro brewery stuff at Four quid a bottle which is outrageous.

Anyway the sun is out, the sky is blue and the 1972 Land Rover relic needs a run out. To use a cabbie phrase you have no idea what I've had in the back of my landie. She is my Fulham escape so she is clocking up plenty of miles this season.

Embrace the Championship, Ranieri out, TC out, Parker interim just for the sake of the changing room and youth players, no Joka return please, no ST increases, for chrissakes somebody shoot!!!!

Woolly Mammoth

Blimey I am glad I have given up drinking alcohol, and am completely tee total, well at least until Burts weight loss campaign of eating lashings of lettuce leaves and foliage washed down with lashings of H2O has finished.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Ah yes, cider reminds me of national service at RAF Melksham in Wiltshire where there was a little pub on the canal where we drank scrumpy (rough cider) at eightpence (3.3p) a pint. All we could really afford on a wage of £2 per week  but is was enjoyable.

Beamer

If a Scottish pal of mine feels he has received a short measure he politely asks ' Could you get a large scotch in there for me please' and if the answer is yes he says 'Well fill it up with beer then'. 

Holders

If a friend got a short measure he'd say "Fulham's playing away" when the tide was out.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 10, 2019, 10:21:22 AM

Do you live Exeter way?

Yup. Exeter itself although on the forum members map I seem to be in the middle of a peat bog on Dartmoor. There is a slight upside though in that I have missed most of the carnage at The Cottage this season. I don't think a weekend has gone by when the trains were not screwed up and getting back just as Match of the Day started started to get a bit tedious.

I had forgotten all about the prospect of getting two thirds of a pint and then a bottle. You will get exactly half these days and actually I don't think light ale in bottles is readily available now. Our local has a whole section of hipster, micro brewery stuff at Four quid a bottle which is outrageous.

Anyway the sun is out, the sky is blue and the 1972 Land Rover relic needs a run out. To use a cabbie phrase you have no idea what I've had in the back of my landie. She is my Fulham escape so she is clocking up plenty of miles this season.

Embrace the Championship, Ranieri out, TC out, Parker interim just for the sake of the changing room and youth players, no Joka return please, no ST increases, for chrissakes somebody shoot!!!!

Sorry, to ask (but I will anyway).... What's the job market like around there for an old git like me (I'm currently a London cabby), and we're looking at relocating - and me working 3/4 day's a week....cheers

Holders

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 10, 2019, 10:21:22 AM

Do you live Exeter way?

Sorry, to ask (but I will anyway).... What's the job market like around there for an old git like me (I'm currently a London cabby), and we're looking at relocating - and me working 3/4 day's a week....cheers

Cab firms and couriers often seem to be advertising.

H4usuallysitting

Many thanks - not sure if I could work for anyone - I'm not disciplined enough, but I'll ask them the score

f321ffc

Quote from: CorkCity on February 10, 2019, 12:48:52 AM
I played for torquay United back in my glory days. Anything Devon related is good to me

Such a shame what has happened the the Gulls in recent years but having a good season  so far this year, have real fears that the company that owns them now are only interested in the land at Plainmoor.
And managed by none other than Gary Johnson, my son was going to see their game yesterday but it was postponed due to the rain.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Holders

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Many thanks - not sure if I could work for anyone - I'm not disciplined enough, but I'll ask them the score

I know a freelance cabbie in Newton who seems to get plenty of business but setting up on your own in anything means capturing a share of the market and quite a few things down here seem quite tied up. It's not impossible, though, I did it in another field.