News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Does anyone still drink light and bitter?

Started by f321ffc, February 09, 2019, 10:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Holders on February 10, 2019, 01:37:07 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Many thanks - not sure if I could work for anyone - I'm not disciplined enough, but I'll ask them the score

I know a freelance cabbie in Newton who seems to get plenty of business but setting up on your own in anything means capturing a share of the market and quite a few things down here seem quite tied up. It's not impossible, though, I did it in another field.

Cheers..... strangely in London I have a fair bit of private client's that will not use anyone else....in fact I won't take anymore on.... I suppose the harder you work the luckier you get & although I'm not that disciplined - I'll never let a passenger down and I'm never afraid to decline.....thanks for the info

ScalleysDad

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 03:07:51 PM
Many thanks - not sure if I could work for anyone - I'm not disciplined enough, but I'll ask them the score

I know a freelance cabbie in Newton who seems to get plenty of business but setting up on your own in anything means capturing a share of the market and quite a few things down here seem quite tied up. It's not impossible, though, I did it in another field.

Cheers..... strangely in London I have a fair bit of private client's that will not use anyone else....in fact I won't take anymore on.... I suppose the harder you work the luckier you get & although I'm not that disciplined - I'll never let a passenger down and I'm never afraid to decline.....thanks for the info

Exeter seems to be awash with cabbies these days. There are some cab companies about but many seem to be independents. Exeter has become very multi national over the last decade or so and the Indian community seem to have cornered the evening/overnight market. There are lots of delivery companies about and we are about to be blessed with an Amazon central depot. The bus companies are constantly recruiting but we now know the County Council are pulling loads of funding over the summer so that might have a knock on effect.
Although I have just retired, I did not put up much of a fight on redundancy package, and am not quite an old git I can drive around banging on about where have all the fields gone. We have an official new town just outside the boundaries but there is building work going on everywhere in between. I'll not mention the B word but industry is pretty much locally focussed if you omit the marines and the navy. Cornwall, agriculture and horticulture might not fair too well if further funding cuts are needed.
You could visit web sites like This is Exeter or Devonlive for a taster.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 10, 2019, 08:39:51 PM

Exeter seems to be awash with cabbies these days. There are some cab companies about but many seem to be independents. Exeter has become very multi national over the last decade or so and the Indian community seem to have cornered the evening/overnight market. There are lots of delivery companies about and we are about to be blessed with an Amazon central depot. The bus companies are constantly recruiting but we now know the County Council are pulling loads of funding over the summer so that might have a knock on effect.
Although I have just retired, I did not put up much of a fight on redundancy package, and am not quite an old git I can drive around banging on about where have all the fields gone. We have an official new town just outside the boundaries but there is building work going on everywhere in between. I'll not mention the B word but industry is pretty much locally focussed if you omit the marines and the navy. Cornwall, agriculture and horticulture might not fair too well if further funding cuts are needed.

Many thanks, very helpful....just a quickie are most of the cabs cars or are they similar to my London cab with wheelchair accessibility & 5/6 seats.....many thanks again

ScalleysDad

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Many thanks, very helpful....just a quickie are most of the cabs cars or are they similar to my London cab with wheelchair accessibility & 5/6 seats.....many thanks again

Most are cars, including some that are licensed through the city council but double up as standard family cars, but you do see adapted cars on the ranks and I believe you can order one if you need it. There are also seven and nine seaters and of course mini buses. Exeter is dominated by the University these days so students are possibly the biggest user group. Electric cars seem to be the replacement of choice these days.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 10, 2019, 10:15:41 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 09:53:46 PM

Most are cars, including some that are licensed through the city council but double up as standard family cars, but you do see adapted cars on the ranks and I believe you can order one if you need it. There are also seven and nine seaters and of course mini buses. Exeter is dominated by the University these days so students are possibly the biggest user group. Electric cars seem to be the replacement of choice these days.

Many thanks

MikeTheCubed

(Courage) Light & Bitter is very commonly drank in a pub I occasionally frequent in Chalfont St Peter, in the middle of nowhere near the Hertfordshire border, almost exclusively by those aged ~50+. I have also resorted to this on occasions where the beer is off form.

RaySmith

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 12:30:30 AM
Love a Ram & Special

Used to drink that in Youngs pubs years ago, like the Railway Bell in Gypsy Hill, Crystal Palace. Winter Warmer too, and Jubilee Ale.

Remember l and b - yes, you expected to get more than a half pint of bitter in your glass.

I always used to be into mixed pints - Guinness and cider-  try pouring that barmen!, bitter and Barley Wine -pretty foul.

Jem

Quote from: RaySmith on February 11, 2019, 01:54:39 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 10, 2019, 12:30:30 AM
Love a Ram & Special

Used to drink that in Youngs pubs years ago, like the Railway Bell in Gypsy Hill, Crystal Palace. Winter Warmer too, and Jubilee Ale.

Remember l and b - yes, you expected to get more than a half pint of bitter in your glass.

I always used to be into mixed pints - Guinness and cider-  try pouring that barmen!, bitter and Barley Wine -pretty foul.
We used to like to ask new bar staff for a Guinness shandy, hours of fun.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx