watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Anger management

Started by bog, February 10, 2019, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

In 66 years I don't think I have been as angry with the club I love as right now. An incompetent manager and an idiot in charge of transfers. I did not expect to qualify for the Champions League but after the euphoria at Wembley I was expecting us to be about mid table now. But we have become a leaderless, rudderless stuck up a creek rabble. 100m spent on mediocrity. Dear oh dear.  :031: :031: 

092.gif   

Mince n Tatties

Yes sad times,yesterday reminded me of the bad old days, like 0-6 against Port Vale.
Only difference was instead of 3,500 watching there was a full house...Same feeling walking away from the ground after.

Statto

Given our resources at the time, we were much better run in the early 90s than we are now. If we had Ray Lewington and a 55 yr old Jimmy Hill running this club today with the PL TV money we'd be mid-table with Wolves and Bournemouth.

bobby01

One point I would like to make is I read on lots of threads that our players are not good enough for the premier league. Although there is no disputing that we have enormously underachieved, are leaderless and have lots of problems, I cannot believe that teams like Cardiff, have better players than us. I think the problems are far deeper than we know and not just on the pitch
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

bog

Quote from: bobby01 on February 10, 2019, 11:20:46 AM
One point I would like to make is I read on lots of threads that our players are not good enough for the premier league. Although there is no disputing that we have enormously underachieved, are leaderless and have lots of problems, I cannot believe that teams like Cardiff, have better players than us. I think the problems are far deeper than we know and not just on the pitch

I don't like Colin but his players obviously do so much that they give everything in every game. Yesterday to concede an equaliser in added time they still went looking for a winner and succeeded. That is total and collective commitment. One thing we seem devoid of.   

092.gif   

Oswhite

I heartily echo this anger, this time after 56 years of supporting Fulham through thick and thin.
I am embarrassed to hear the comments of many football knowledgeable people, both pundits and friends, but above all lifelong supporters, concerning our loss of identity, inability to defend, and lack of appetite for the fight.
Expectation was so high going into this season which has not helped, but these are the darkest of days for me as before we had little money and nearly no ground when things were looking bad.
Along came Mickey Adams who inspired his players through his own passion, motivational skills and careful recruitment, and the stage was set for our meteoric rise to the top division.

I had mixed emotions when Slavisa was dismissed, but remain ever grateful for two of the best years of football which was so pleasing on the eye, despite occasionally  too much playing around at the back, and was delighted by the spirit, camaraderie and support of each other in what was a well-crafted and assembled team. Particularly impressive of course was the midfield trio, and I very much regret that they have not been given a chance to show together what they can do at this higher level.
I know major recruitment was needed last summer due to loanees, injuries and Frederick's departure, but with hindsight clearly the model was wrong, and then to open the season with only a handful of the Wembley team, who were riding the crest of a wonderful unbeaten run and a successful Wembley appearance for the first time in the club's history, was even more wrong; surely the midfield trio in particular should have been given a chance before being discarded? This was a psychological blow to all concerned, and no wonder rifts started to appear in the camp when they were being overlooked in favour of expensive new recruits who are still adjusting to English conditions, have failed miserably, or are not committed to the cause, if not simply lazy.

I am a rare poster, but have been moved to write this as I am now certain that Ranieri must go.
There was a small bounce when he arrived, the defence improved a little, and I was then confident that his experience in grooming success at this level could turn things around, but, apart from the Brighton second-half, which may have been inspired by the team talk by Scott Parker, players taking it upon themselves to play in the way best suited to their abilities, and definitely by the introduction of Tom, and rare glimpses in other games, there have been far too few signs of organisation and motivation from the top.
On top of this his outspoken criticism of players in the media, his obvious fallout with Tom, his ostracisation of Ryan, his team selection and substitutions conspire to suggest that he has fallen out with the club and wants the worst for Fulham - unlikely - or he lacks the understanding needed to fit the players into the best playing method for them, and/or he does not appreciate that football is played in the mind on and off the field, that confidence breeds confidence and results, and that loyalty to the badge is more important than hyped unrealistic transfer fees as a basis for team selection.

It is often argued that the players are not good enough, but I disagree - what Cardiff, Burnley, Southampton have is a manager who can inspire, organise and select pragmatically rather than stubbornly.
Yes, Ranieri supervised a winning team at Leicester which was assembled by Pearson, but one which rapidly declined when Ranieri became stubborn over tactics, apparently more distant (along with his entourage of coaches), and often absent due to visiting his mother in Italy.

The present predicament is not to me as to if Ranieri should be replaced - he should go today - but whether to go for an experienced motivator who could engineer an even greater great escape, or a dynamic young manager of proven success at Championship level. It is so difficult to know which way to jump that I would not be totally adverse to using Parker as a caretaker - one simply does not know enough of what has been going on behind the scenes to know which way to jump on this.

Whoever it may be, I am certain that Tom and Ryan should be among the first names on the team sheet, along with Kevin, Stefan (had he been here, not gaining MoM in a WBA win yesterday) and Marcus had he been fit.
My team for West Ham, with the best chance of gaining the essential three points, is
                                     Rico
Sessegnon S.    MacDonald  Odoi  Sessegnon R
                          Chambers    Seri
    Christie                       Cairney      Vietto

Mitrovich

This may not be the most skilful selection, but will make the most effort.

COYW!

SG

Bog - I have gone past the anger stage to one of benign resignation to our fate. I cannot remember seeing such a supine performance from my team for very many years. If Man U had really tried for 90 mins they could have had a hat full. How many unenforced errors did we make, how many times were our players just shrugged off the ball, how many missed tackles. I could go on....

bog

Quote from: Oswhite on February 10, 2019, 12:29:59 PM
I heartily echo this anger, this time after 56 years of supporting Fulham through thick and thin.
I am embarrassed to hear the comments of many football knowledgeable people, both pundits and friends, but above all lifelong supporters, concerning our loss of identity, inability to defend, and lack of appetite for the fight.
Expectation was so high going into this season which has not helped, but these are the darkest of days for me as before we had little money and nearly no ground when things were looking bad.
Along came Mickey Adams who inspired his players through his own passion, motivational skills and careful recruitment, and the stage was set for our meteoric rise to the top division.

I had mixed emotions when Slavisa was dismissed, but remain ever grateful for two of the best years of football which was so pleasing on the eye, despite occasionally  too much playing around at the back, and was delighted by the spirit, camaraderie and support of each other in what was a well-crafted and assembled team. Particularly impressive of course was the midfield trio, and I very much regret that they have not been given a chance to show together what they can do at this higher level.
I know major recruitment was needed last summer due to loanees, injuries and Frederick's departure, but with hindsight clearly the model was wrong, and then to open the season with only a handful of the Wembley team, who were riding the crest of a wonderful unbeaten run and a successful Wembley appearance for the first time in the club's history, was even more wrong; surely the midfield trio in particular should have been given a chance before being discarded? This was a psychological blow to all concerned, and no wonder rifts started to appear in the camp when they were being overlooked in favour of expensive new recruits who are still adjusting to English conditions, have failed miserably, or are not committed to the cause, if not simply lazy.

I am a rare poster, but have been moved to write this as I am now certain that Ranieri must go.
There was a small bounce when he arrived, the defence improved a little, and I was then confident that his experience in grooming success at this level could turn things around, but, apart from the Brighton second-half, which may have been inspired by the team talk by Scott Parker, players taking it upon themselves to play in the way best suited to their abilities, and definitely by the introduction of Tom, and rare glimpses in other games, there have been far too few signs of organisation and motivation from the top.
On top of this his outspoken criticism of players in the media, his obvious fallout with Tom, his ostracisation of Ryan, his team selection and substitutions conspire to suggest that he has fallen out with the club and wants the worst for Fulham - unlikely - or he lacks the understanding needed to fit the players into the best playing method for them, and/or he does not appreciate that football is played in the mind on and off the field, that confidence breeds confidence and results, and that loyalty to the badge is more important than hyped unrealistic transfer fees as a basis for team selection.

It is often argued that the players are not good enough, but I disagree - what Cardiff, Burnley, Southampton have is a manager who can inspire, organise and select pragmatically rather than stubbornly.
Yes, Ranieri supervised a winning team at Leicester which was assembled by Pearson, but one which rapidly declined when Ranieri became stubborn over tactics, apparently more distant (along with his entourage of coaches), and often absent due to visiting his mother in Italy.

The present predicament is not to me as to if Ranieri should be replaced - he should go today - but whether to go for an experienced motivator who could engineer an even greater great escape, or a dynamic young manager of proven success at Championship level. It is so difficult to know which way to jump that I would not be totally adverse to using Parker as a caretaker - one simply does not know enough of what has been going on behind the scenes to know which way to jump on this.

Whoever it may be, I am certain that Tom and Ryan should be among the first names on the team sheet, along with Kevin, Stefan (had he been here, not gaining MoM in a WBA win yesterday) and Marcus had he been fit.
My team for West Ham, with the best chance of gaining the essential three points, is
                                     Rico
Sessegnon S.    MacDonald  Odoi  Sessegnon R
                          Chambers    Seri
    Christie                       Cairney      Vietto

Mitrovich

This may not be the most skilful selection, but will make the most effort.

COYW!

An excellent posting Oswhite. Commons sense and logic.  :54:

bog

Quote from: SG on February 10, 2019, 12:57:03 PM
Bog - I have gone past the anger stage to one of benign resignation to our fate. I cannot remember seeing such a supine performance from my team for very many years. If Man U had really tried for 90 mins they could have had a hat full. How many unenforced errors did we make, how many times were our players just shrugged off the ball, how many missed tackles. I could go on....

SG I think it was one of the worst displays ever. The chairman has to be looking at what is going on, looking at the signings his out of his depth son has made and the shambles on the pitch. Why were neither of the new signings not on the bench?  Extremely annoying, I can except going down with a fight but not in such an inept way.  :031:

092.gif   

Woolly Mammoth

We are physically the weakest team and the shortest team in the League.
Shocking recruitment policy and judgement. Mitro is the only one apart from Chambers that can actually win a ball in the air in a defensive area. We are easily pushed off the ball all over the pitch apart from Chambers and Mitro.
Rico does not command his box for me, that should be his front garden.
Nevertheless, we are so weak physically and look like boys against men in every game.
No team can survive this unforgiving Division when you are not equipped to deal with it, which is another embarrassing consequence of a bereft recruitment policy that has rebounded back in our faces.
What magnifies this buffoonary is that we are not just losing matches, we are losing matches badly.
This is mirrored in our goal difference.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Excellent OP and I agree with almost all of it.  I would pick a different team but that's just personal choice.

Russianrob

Although Fulham are my only true love football wise about 40 years ago living in Scotland I adopted Saint Mirren as my other team.Like Fulham they were promoted to the premiership last year.This is unbelievable but in my opinion true.When it comes to managers no one beats the present Saint Mirren one for being so useless.He has destoyed the team.The future looks really really bleak.In comparison I like the Fulham manager.He can turn it round for us.But in Scotland there is no hope for Saint Mirren alas!!!

Lighthouse

The days for anger are well gone. Said before that once the away game at Brighton was over so was our season. Something changed and the team and the coach just seemed to go into meltdown. The players seemed to be confused and have looked that way ever since. CR  came in and decided to play to the strengths of our defence. Which was suicide when we didn't have one. The failure in the Summer and the Jan windows to bring in a centre half that wasn't injured and then a right back just highlighted the failure of the season.

But I don't understand how people can feel angry now. We have been relegated in all but name for most of the season. The players and coaches and owners haven't tried to make the team fail. It has just been a perfect storm of poor squad building and poor tactics. Players who may have looked good last season for their teams have looked out of their depth this season. Too many loans last season made preparation harder. But it should not have been this hard. Forget the anger and hope that we can start building for next season. We have been here before so often. As I have said many times. I can stand my own despair but not other peoples hope.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

My anger is still at the £100milion wasted in the summer, it is so hard to forget that.
Just think of what some of our previous chairman and managers could have done with a fraction of that amount.

We are in an absolute mess with the captain and the coach not of one mind, relegation all but a certainty and a summer of discontent and disarray to look forward to.
We were all on such a high after that magnificent win at Wembley hard to think that things could possibly have become so bad.

cottage expat

Quote from: bog on February 10, 2019, 09:45:30 AM
In 66 years I don't think I have been as angry with the club I love as right now. An incompetent manager and an idiot in charge of transfers. I did not expect to qualify for the Champions League but after the euphoria at Wembley I was expecting us to be about mid table now. But we have become a leaderless, rudderless stuck up a creek rabble. 100m spent on mediocrity. Dear oh dear.  :031: :031: 

My thoughts exactly ! In the many years I have been a Fulham supporter I have never seen such a combination of lousy decision making and incompetence from top to bottom. What makes me particularly angry is that so much of it was avoidable !

Twig

I can recall my day at Wembley last year like it was yesterday.  The pride, the sense of triumph, a final won after so many nearly years, the squad and manager and their joy at the end. What a day.  How on earth did it all get flushed down the toilet? Angry, you bet I'm angry, very bloody angry.

RaySmith

did the Khans have unfeasible aspirations - thinking if we spend big money on hyped foreign players then we'll do  a lot more than just survive.

Well, forgetting whether the players we bought are any good - they are good, but have struggled in the Prem - it was always going to be  hard to bring so many players into a team at one go.

But teams similar to us, you might say, relied on  a basic promotion side - journeymen maybe - but they were organised into a team, to do the basicss well, and above all, be able to defend.

I disagree that Fulham fans would rather see good football, than a Colin style approach -  would they really rather see a passing game, if we lose all the time, and go down?

We needed some Prem experience brought in, experienced upgrades, quality but with a bit of steel and Prem honed experience, while keeping the same basic team, though obviously loanees needed to be replaced, but our signings had a rushed, last minute look about them, rather than say 4 or 5 who could really strengthen and upgrade us. and maybe slightly adapt our passing style in accordwith the team's limited Prem experience and ability.

Now we are neither one ting or the other - CR hasn't got the players for the approach he wants, but even under Slava, our players weren't good enough to succeed with the pure passing game in the Prem.

Under Roy, we had a strategy, based on sound defence, where everyone knew their role, though they might not all be the best players in the world, but the set up enabled them play their best and gain confidence - and it was their mentality, allied to Roy's organisation, that enabled them to execute the Great Escape.

But although this could still be theoretically possible - you can't imagine this team and manager being at all able to win, was it 6? games in a  row, like we did in the GE, or even win any games.

I 'd love to be proved wrong. is another manager the answer? would he be able to save us?

I too am angry, and depressed. Who'd have thought we would be in this position after that great day at Wembley, with TC and Sess as our heroes.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: Twig on February 10, 2019, 09:55:39 PM
I can recall my day at Wembley last year like it was yesterday.  The pride, the sense of triumph, a final won after so many nearly years, the squad and manager and their joy at the end. What a day.  How on earth did it all get flushed down the toilet? Angry, you bet I'm angry, very bloody angry.

Isn't the playoff winner normally the most likely team to go down in the Premier League?

Berserker

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on February 11, 2019, 04:39:34 AM

Isn't the playoff winner normally the most likely team to go down in the Premier League?
Yes

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

bog

+1 Says it all. How dismal it has become.