Started by Mince n Tatties, February 11, 2019, 06:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuffolkWhite

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

H4usuallysitting

I would like to add my disappointment with the total disregard for the cravenettes....they were our missing piece of a very complicated jigsaw.....they should be part of our future business model

N_O_W_S

Quote from: Twig on February 11, 2019, 10:32:49 PM
Sooner Ranieri is gone the better. An interim manager makes sense and since Scotty P knows the club and players he is the logical choice.

Plenty of time to consider options for the permanent role and a fresh start  in the Championship.

However, Tony Khan has to step down as D o F or no manager on earth stands a chance of long term success.

I think we all need to accept that TK is going no where. I know a lot of fans are not pleased with the current set up but it's flogging a dead horse  :dead horse:.

I think some of the signings have been good, a lot poor but he isn't giving it up and I cannot see him bringing someone in to help him.

I would also point out that we don't see transfer dealings. He may be a reasonable DoF but getting transfers over the line in a multi party agreement just doesn't go our way.  :hook:

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 12, 2019, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 12, 2019, 01:56:56 AM
Everyone talks about Manager bounce, which is a Manager normally wins the first game their in charge of a new team.

Can we have lineup 12 managers one for each game for the rest of the season? If it works more than 50% of the time, we'll stay up.

P.S. I'm Half Joking Half Serious

On this topic, does anyone know if there is some actual evidence in support of the new manager bounce? Or is it just one of those things that gets repeated so much so that people start to believe it?

It's common sense and something we've all experienced in some context surely.

elgreenio

generally there is a "bounce" yes, various articles (with statistical data) about it over the years. Cant see anything that actually goes deeper into whether the manager change falls in line with "winnable" games though.

One such article from a couple of years back :

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11128604/does-sacking-a-premier-league-manager-improve-results
touch my camera through the fence

hovewhite

Well on paper stats tell us all we have averaged more points less conceded goals wise,so why is it i have problem when watching us on the pitch!

flyingfish

New manager bounce is normally just associated with regression to mean - i.e a sacking usually occurs after a long run of games, and statistically one expects that run to end a some point, and regress upwards to the expected results.

A bit like if you have a stinking cold, put a crystal under your pillow and a pyramid on your head, you are likely to shortly 'regress to mean' and feel better - nothing at all of course to do with the crystal and pyramid.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on February 12, 2019, 02:58:57 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 12, 2019, 07:53:06 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 12, 2019, 01:56:56 AM
Everyone talks about Manager bounce, which is a Manager normally wins the first game their in charge of a new team.

Can we have lineup 12 managers one for each game for the rest of the season? If it works more than 50% of the time, we'll stay up.

P.S. I'm Half Joking Half Serious

On this topic, does anyone know if there is some actual evidence in support of the new manager bounce? Or is it just one of those things that gets repeated so much so that people start to believe it?

It's common sense and something we've all experienced in some context surely.

Using "common sense" as evidence is a bit contrary to what I hoped for. Or do you just mean that no evidence is needed because it is common sense (which is a subjective term, contrary to what it claims to be). And for the avoidance of doubt, I was interested in this in the context of manager changes in football, not in some other context.

Edit: should have read further down the thread to see something more substantial!

Sting of the North

Quote from: elgreenio on February 12, 2019, 03:14:38 PM
generally there is a "bounce" yes, various articles (with statistical data) about it over the years. Cant see anything that actually goes deeper into whether the manager change falls in line with "winnable" games though.

One such article from a couple of years back :

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11128604/does-sacking-a-premier-league-manager-improve-results

Interesting article. In the context of statistics, this is of course very little data. However, the conclusion (as has been pointed out by others) seem to be that there is in fact no new manager bounce since the same phenomenon is seen even when not sacking a manager (i.e. very poor form is normally followed by an upturn of good form). It seem like the fact that managers are usually sacked when the team is at a low point results wise makes it more likely that an upturn in form will follow but that this has not really necessarily anything to do with the new manager.

Not much data as a said, but interesting nonetheless.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Camel Club on February 12, 2019, 11:52:47 AM
Quote from: Riversider on February 12, 2019, 11:39:46 AM
Quote from: Camel Club on February 12, 2019, 11:30:18 AM
If there is any chance whatsoever of somehow escaping relegation this season it is by replacing Ranieri with somebody from within the club on the coaching side who has the respect of the players and who will have formed their own ideas on how best to set this squad of players up on the pitch.  That person is Scott Parker.

And how do you know any of that ?
What does Mitro think of him ?
What does Seri think of him ?
Please tell us, I'd love to know

I don't Riversider but the evidence strongly suggests Ranieri has lost his way, lost at least some of the players and a good percentage of the fans. We're in the last chance saloon this season and if Ranieri does go there would be no point in bringing in somebody from outside the club at this time. If there is anybody from within the club I believe Parker is the most likely short-term candidate.

Well the evidence is there in the warm ups and every time the team walks off the pitch. Players are talking to him and as I pointed out earlier in this thread Mitro seems to give Parker all due respect. After the Brighton game he gave him a bear hug which sort of suggests Mitro is comfortable with him. Seri I am not so sure about but he is a reserved character by all accounts. We have heard before how Tom Cairney looks to him and we have also heard he 'has a presence in the dressing room'. It's an easy sell I would have thought given the mess we are in.

I have expressed concern before about how we do not seem to be seeing any of Parkers influence in our current midfield or defence. It might be of course he is working to somebody else's criteria and plan. He might be pants of course but at the moment we ought to just settle for some first team squad unity and as outlined above and by others Parker might be that choice.

JimOG

Agreed - this season is gone & CR isn't going to be rebuilding so why not give Parker the last 12 games to help restore Fulham's unity - difficult with a large chunk of them planning their exits with their agents I admit. Solskjaer has done it at United. I don't for one minute expect Parker to achieve the same but he might be a realist and play those who will be with us next year

filham

Speculative journalism that has fallen on the ground made fertile by Ranieri's failure.

It would be a gamble but one well worth taking for the rest of the season, what have we to lose. Just wish there was a football godfather in the boardroom, someone like Roy , to advise Scotty at critical moments.

filham

Of course we should stop and ask the question would Scotty be prepared to take over until the end of the season. It is  odds on that we would be relegated and he is then then earmarked as a failed manager.

Much better from his point of view to start with a club in a lower division and slowly climb the slippery ladder by showing improvements in results at a few small clubs.

Riversider

This thread makes for quite interesting reading, as you can see Scott Parker was already on thin ice before he even got the job, never a good starting point for a new manager at any club,
Next Friday night might not be must win for Fulham Football Club, and it certainly isn't must win for any supporter on here, but I put it to you that it's certainly must win for Scott Parker.

hovewhite

Quote from: Riversider on September 22, 2019, 09:59:34 AM
This thread makes for quite interesting reading, as you can see Scott Parker was already on thin ice before he even got the job, never a good starting point for a new manager at any club,
Next Friday night might not be must win for Fulham Football Club, and it certainly isn't must win for any supporter on here, but I put it to you that it's certainly must win for Scott Parker.
think you may be right a pivotel night for scotty against worst travellers in division.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 12, 2019, 01:37:32 PM
I would like to add my disappointment with the total disregard for the cravenettes....they were our missing piece of a very complicated jigsaw.....they should be part of our future business model

I miss Sir Craven of Cottage almost as much as I miss pie and mash.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riversider on September 22, 2019, 09:59:34 AM

Unfortunately the football climate the way it is, will certainly mean the vultures will circle over Craven Cottage on Friday if we fail to win, any win, even an ugly win, but naturally a glorious win will give Scott a better nights sleep.
Nevertheless, win lose or draw, it's far too early to even talk about the managers position. Look what happened when the spoilt Man Utd fans wanted Ferguson out after a few months due to adverse results, how daft did they make themselves look. He who laughs last, laughs the longest and the loudest.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Parker not only needs a win on Friday, he needs to win in style, nothing less than 3-0 will satisfy us performance starved fans.
This team of ours is just not coming up to expectations.

One Martin Thomas

I'll take a clean sheet and a 1 0 victory! Drubbing Millwall did nothing for us in the end. Parker really needs to use next winnable matches to tinker with a few things ... and move onwards and upwards before we are too far adrift

FFC1987

I can only imagine its a must win for Parker. If we can't beat Wigan at home, along with a lot of our results this year, paints a worrying picture for this team in his pursuit for top 2. For what its worth, I'll state again, I like Parker, I think he'll do well in long run, hopefully with us, he sets up nice on the eye football, conducts himself well on side line and in interviews but, and its a big but, maybe such a role as top 2 contenders in the championship, isn't the right place to learn on the job and some experience was required.