watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Mitroglu

Started by bog, February 11, 2019, 09:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Can someone put me right. When it was the last great season of chaos and we went down we had the farcical signing of Mitroglu. Was Khan in charge of transfers then? Was this an early example of his stupidity?  :022:

092.gif

simplyfulham

If rumours are to be believed, Mitroglou was TK's very first stats signing.

@jolslover

On February 22, 2017, Khan was named as Vice Chairman and Director of Football Operations of Fulham F.C. Starting in the summer of 2015, Tony Khan has played an integral role in the identification, recruitment and signing of the players —helping to continuously strengthen Fulham in all sporting areas.

On 31 January 2014, Mitroglou signed a four-and-a-half-year contract for a transfer fee believed in the region of £12 million with English Premier League club Fulham.

Above statement is therefore. Not. Factual.
STH H3

simplyfulham

Quote from: @jolslover on February 11, 2019, 11:10:31 PM
On February 22, 2017, Khan was named as Vice Chairman and Director of Football Operations of Fulham F.C. Starting in the summer of 2015, Tony Khan has played an integral role in the identification, recruitment and signing of the players —helping to continuously strengthen Fulham in all sporting areas.

On 31 January 2014, Mitroglou signed a four-and-a-half-year contract for a transfer fee believed in the region of £12 million with English Premier League club Fulham.

His Dad owned the club from the summer.

Is it really insane to conceive that he would have been working at the club, in some form officially or unofficially and exerted some influence?

The Rock

It doesn't matter. It's a simple question of under Mafs clock or Khans.

Tony is only a kid - prob not even 35 at the time and surely less than 10 years of recruitment experience.

Including the Jaguars.

If you are reading this, you know more than he does, even if you aren't worth a bill.

The Rational Fan

FFC bought Mitroglu for €15m and sold him to Benifca for €8.5m (€6.5m loss).

Benifca bought him for €8.5m and sold him to Marseille for €15m (€6.5m gain).

Did we buy him for too much (€15m) or sell him for too little (€8.5m)?

Sting of the North

Quote from: simplyfulham on February 11, 2019, 11:16:20 PM

Is it really insane to conceive that he would have been working at the club, in some form officially or unofficially and exerted some influence?

I don't think anyone claims that it is impossible that TK was involved in some capacity because how would we know that? However, it was you that claimed that there are rumors that he was involved in the Mitroglou transfer, even though he wasn't as far as I am aware involved in any official capacity whatsoever. Is there anything to back your rumor claim up at all (genuine question, I haven't researched it), because if there is it would be easier for you to just present that.

toshes mate

To my mind the subject of transfer talk and resulting decisions, in any which way you wish to look at them, will always be speculative.  Only the clubs involved will know their version of the truth, in much the way of the journalist who will present hearsay as evidence that may be found flawed, insupportable, or untrue in a legal setting, just as any circumstantial facts will be so argued about.  'Truth' can be bent to fit in memory as well as in words said or read.  We are a deeply flawed species for all our better sides.

Where the weight of evidence increases the probability of 'guilt' in legal dealings is when a pattern is discovered or established, which although still circumstantial, may bend the judgement of some people towards their personal verdict. This outcome is not the truth even in criminal courts where a guilty verdict has later been found to be suspect even when an accused is deemed to be innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt.  Justice here is not served by the truth but by the weight of evidence and its skillful presentation, by a barrister, to a jury of their peers.  There is still the potential that truth will be, and has been covered up, and lies have instead been allowed to go unchallenged.  The law, like its makers, is a most tricky thing.

In life many injustices will occur, and it is wise for the innocent to acknowledge that no truth has been discovered within a judgement by their peers other than that discovery which a civilised society deems to be the best they can do to persuade truth to surface.  Innocent or guilty our consciences will have the last words.

We must all live with ourselves and it is that which will fundamentally lead us to our own truth.   

bog

The one with Mitroglu is that he had a knee injury (Mowson?) when he was signed. We needed instant availability so why sign him?  :doh:

092.gif   

snarks

I recall reading somewhere that he was a player Rene wanted.

As for the profit/loss on him, I think MJG may have posted something about that with regard to the loan fee Fulham received as well as the transfer fee, meaning it wasn't as bad as it seemed on simple buy/sale figures

simplyfulham

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 12, 2019, 09:43:42 AM
Quote from: simplyfulham on February 11, 2019, 11:16:20 PM

I don't think anyone claims that it is impossible that TK was involved in some capacity because how would we know that? However, it was you that claimed that there are rumors that he was involved in the Mitroglou transfer, even though he wasn't as far as I am aware involved in any official capacity whatsoever. Is there anything to back your rumor claim up at all (genuine question, I haven't researched it), because if there is it would be easier for you to just present that.

It was a rumour I had heard at the time during that season, and I did present it as only a rumour.

I read an interview with Rene where he had said he had no idea about the signing. I remember even at the time it did feel as though it came from nowhere and it proved that his medical was either rushed or waved entirely and we signed a player with an injury that we didn't really know the full extent of.

Looking back in hindsight there's a few curiousoties around the transfer and then there's his excellent goal scoring record at Olympiakos that season that lend the rumour I had heard a little more legs.

Statto

Given Mulensteen was sacked two weeks later I think it unlikely he was involved.

The guy was (1) highly-priced, (2) unfit, (3) signed at the last minute (on deadline day) and (4) had never played in England. Those are still the four key hallmarks of a Fulham transfer, which suggests to me the transfer was driven by someone still at the club.

Whether it was Tony Khan, Talbot or Mackintosh I don't know, but it must be one (or a combination) of those three.   

MikeW

Statto: Oh boy was he unfit!  I remember sitting quite close to the touchline in the Riverside when he was warming up for a rare sub appearance.  My lad and I both commented on how much weight he was carrying (I'm well qualified) but anything unlike a professional footballer have I rarely seen!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MikeW on February 12, 2019, 06:18:18 PM
Statto: Oh boy was he unfit!  I remember sitting quite close to the touchline in the Riverside when he was warming up for a rare sub appearance.  My lad and I both commented on how much weight he was carrying (I'm well qualified) but anything unlike a professional footballer have I rarely seen!
Yes he looked like the reincarnation of Budgie Byrne.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Our record of signing poor players and failed managers while Shahid Khan has been chairman has been dismal in spite of spending so much money, you really would have thought by now that he would have an experienced director of football on his board.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on February 12, 2019, 06:29:47 PM
Our record of signing poor players and failed managers while Shahid Khan has been chairman has been dismal in spite of spending so much money, you really would have thought by now that he would have an experienced director of football on his board.

Yes of course you are correct, our record has been dismal, mediocre, incompetent bordering on criminal.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Carborundum

He had played in England before.  When Olympiacos came to the Emirates the season before we signed him, I was hosting an overseas visitor at work who was mad about Arsenal, so we got some tickets and went.  Mitroglou was an absolute menace that night and if he had been fit, I'm convinced he would have been for us.

Another thing I learned that night.  Comparing the journey to the Cottage and the journey to the Emirates, we are just different league to them.

I Ronic

I might be completely wrong but wasn't the rumour at the time, that Mitroglu  was recommended to SK by TK after looking at his stats on Football Manager?

bog

Quote from: I Ronic on February 12, 2019, 10:16:02 PM
I might be completely wrong but wasn't the rumour at the time, that Mitroglu  was recommended to SK by TK after looking at his stats on Football Manager?

:doh:

Sting of the North

Quote from: I Ronic on February 12, 2019, 10:16:02 PM

I can of course don't know if this is true, but it sounds every bit a made up rumor. I cannot recall ever hearing it mentioned before. I think people are just so happy to credit everything bad to TK that they are happy to make stuff up.

It is not as Mitroglou was some completely unknown player that no-one had heard of. He was scoring lots of goals and I believe he had been rumored to bigger clubs than Fulham. The problem was primarily of course that he was not fit. A fit Mitroglou would likely have been a good acquisition at the time.

Regardless of who came up with the idea in the first place, it is extremely unlikely that it was TK that decided to go through with the transfer seeing that he held no such official position. So the blame for signing an injured player in 2014 should likely not be directed at TK.