more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Johansen og

Started by sarnian, February 12, 2019, 08:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: HV71 on February 13, 2019, 12:34:06 PM
Very well said Twig - I believe we will need him next season. As for Anguissa - I haven't given up on him as there is certainly skill and talent there. However, his footballing brain seems muddled to say the least, and we will just have to see whether anyone can coach him  into the player he needs to be. Short of a labotomy this may take some time and we desperately need to hit the ground running next season so I wouldn't want to put all my hopes into him coming good

Kind of a harsh assessment of Anguissa's football brain I believe, given that we have only seen him playing a handful of times in a completely dysfunctional team.

snarks

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 13, 2019, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: snarks on February 13, 2019, 11:58:29 AM
I do find it odd when people say he is not top flight material or not good enough. He really has not been given any serious game time (he only started 4) and played 411 minutes in his 12 appearances.

I still think with a good run in the side as a box to box midfielder as he played for the last 2 seasons he would have been OK, not a standout, but certainly OK. I also think that is what the midfield is really missing, TC and Seri are great players, but not together, as there is no-one to do the Donkey work, and you need a defensive CM (Chambers, Anguissa, KMac type) in our line up. SteffJo would fill that nicely but one of TC or Seri would have to be dropped.

Why is it you think that TC and Seri are not good together? Personally I think that StefJo is a good player, and probably worthy of a squad place. However, I also think that Seri is far superior to him. They are not the same type of player, but can fill the same spot in a 3 man midfield with TC and a defensive midfielder. Unfortunately however we have not really tried that enough this season. In my opinion.

I just haven't seen it, if you play a 3 man midfield, I think you need at holding player, a gopher and a skill player who can pass and move and dictate play. TC and Seri are both the dictate play type, you could probably play them both in a 4-1-4-1 formation, but not in a 4-3-3, 5-4-1 or 4-4-2 all of which we play. TC is pushed wide and marginalised so we don't see him at his best and seri doesn't have the motor to go box to box hence we don't see him at his best either. It's a shame but that's my view.

Matt10

Quote from: snarks on February 13, 2019, 03:56:15 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 13, 2019, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: snarks on February 13, 2019, 11:58:29 AM
I do find it odd when people say he is not top flight material or not good enough. He really has not been given any serious game time (he only started 4) and played 411 minutes in his 12 appearances.

I still think with a good run in the side as a box to box midfielder as he played for the last 2 seasons he would have been OK, not a standout, but certainly OK. I also think that is what the midfield is really missing, TC and Seri are great players, but not together, as there is no-one to do the Donkey work, and you need a defensive CM (Chambers, Anguissa, KMac type) in our line up. SteffJo would fill that nicely but one of TC or Seri would have to be dropped.

Why is it you think that TC and Seri are not good together? Personally I think that StefJo is a good player, and probably worthy of a squad place. However, I also think that Seri is far superior to him. They are not the same type of player, but can fill the same spot in a 3 man midfield with TC and a defensive midfielder. Unfortunately however we have not really tried that enough this season. In my opinion.

I just haven't seen it, if you play a 3 man midfield, I think you need at holding player, a gopher and a skill player who can pass and move and dictate play. TC and Seri are both the dictate play type, you could probably play them both in a 4-1-4-1 formation, but not in a 4-3-3, 5-4-1 or 4-4-2 all of which we play. TC is pushed wide and marginalised so we don't see him at his best and seri doesn't have the motor to go box to box hence we don't see him at his best either. It's a shame but that's my view.

I tend to agree, to a point here. I do think a 4-3-3 wouldn't be out of the ordinary, however, it is most likely to have growing pains. Essentially, Seri replaces Johansen on the LCM, while the CM (CDM) is Chambers, and Cairney is RCM. Seri has a reputation for being the playmaker, but he's not really. He circulates the ball as simple as possible. He is much more aggressive than how he started this season defensively as well, so in that aspect, he's similar to StefJo - but he plays the percentages unlike Johansen who will take chances to penetrate a defence with through balls or long balls into space. Chambers is box-to-box, which is different than Kmac, so we could get caught upfield, meaning Seri drops back (again, unlike Johansen). Cairney would need to stay higher, and would find himself in the box more often than Seri or Chambers.

Overall, the 3 in the static 4-3-3 wouldn't be the same as Slavisa's 4-3-3, and it would require a lot of work to know who goes where in defence-transition-attack. I'd love to see what we saw for the last 12 minutes at Burnley, but that may have been a one-off. Surprised we didn't score a late equalizer after dominating their goal in that late stretch.   

Sting of the North

I fail to see why Seri can't do a job in a 433. Not the same player as Johansen, for good and bad. Johansen is a hit or miss player, whereas Seri is more assured on the ball. Both seem to work with TC however because they are all smart players. If you think that TC and Seri are too similar you have not really understood their strengths at all. In my opinion.

If you would have switched Johansen for Seri last year I believe that we would have had automatic promotion.

snarks

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 13, 2019, 10:16:31 PM
I fail to see why Seri can't do a job in a 433. Not the same player as Johansen, for good and bad. Johansen is a hit or miss player, whereas Seri is more assured on the ball. Both seem to work with TC however because they are all smart players. If you think that TC and Seri are too similar you have not really understood their strengths at all. In my opinion.

If you would have switched Johansen for Seri last year I believe that we would have had automatic promotion.

No I don't think they are too similar, I think they way they are playing/being asked to play is wrong and they are both trying to be the linchpin in a similar way, Matt has it right in that Seri circulates the ball, but is playing in a more defensive role, I think it would work with TC and Seri in a midfield 4 with one of Chambers/Anguissa/Kmac behind them.  In a 3 it isn't or hasn't worked.

So my Line up would be

Rico

Christie/Odoi  Mawson/Chambers  MLM  Bryan

Chambers/Anguissa/KMac

Babel  TC  Seri  Sess

Mitro

Two Ton Ted

I see Seri in the same role as Murphy - gets given the ball by Etuhu (Chambers/Macdonald), and then uses it.

Frankly the squad we have is not suited to 4-3-3. Jokanovic played a 4-1-3-1, but it's hard to accommodate Seri in that formation.

Ranieri's been using a 4-3-3 with no the full backs providing the width, but without a MacDonald type dropping in when the full backs attack, we've been all over the shop.

A 4-2-3-1 with the players we have might work, but it's a bit late for that now. 
Never ever bloody anything ever.