News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brentford getting it right off the pitch.

Started by Riversider, February 13, 2019, 08:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Before their match with Villa tonight they were discussing their record in the transfer market over the last two seasons , incredibly they have recouped  £56 million , bearing in mind they've still got Maupay and Watkins still to sell its an amazing job that they are doing,
We are burning money in the transfer market whilst they have turned it in to a little cottage industry.

HillingdonFFC

To be fair they've been doing this for a long time now. They always seem to have an eye for strikers who they buy cheaply & sell on for big money
Dean Holdsworth, Marcus Gayle, Andre Gray, Hogan etc & Maupay looks like the next one off the line

SP

All over the Villa but no end product so far.

Statto

they raised a lot of eyebrows when they ditched their academy a couple of years ago but on this metric it looks like that was a good decision

on the other hand they're 18th, so it can't have been that good

Steven Ageroad

Perhaps our recruitment team think it's a bit below them to look at the lower English leagues.

SP

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on February 13, 2019, 09:24:13 PM
Perhaps our recruitment team think it's a bit below them to look at the lower English leagues.

They may very well do much to our loss. But it also shows their ignorance and lack of knowledge and qualifications, and then to retain their jobs is rubbing salt in an open weeping infected wound.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SG

Maupey was signed from St Etienne which rather contradicts the received wisdom on here that little good comes out of the French league.

Statto

Quote from: SG on February 13, 2019, 10:21:06 PM

Maupey was signed from St Etienne which rather contradicts the received wisdom on here that little good comes out of the French league.

I'd say it's consistent with the wisdom of some that the French top tier is Championship standard

EastEndWhite

Is being in The Championship the height of their ambition?

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: EastEndWhite on February 13, 2019, 10:55:32 PM
Is being in The Championship the height of their ambition?

Which is the $64,000 question. By selling their best players they will never fulfil the potential.

Maybe the move to the new stadium will focus the ambition a bit higer.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Sting of the North

But aren't they are using stats? Surely that can't work.

Penfold

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 14, 2019, 01:52:13 PM
Yep. Brentford do use stats as part of their recruitment. Maybe we should poach their stats man off them?

They certainly look at the lower divisions over here which, as I recall, it was claimed Fulham do not as the stats below the Championship are 'not reliable'. Don't know if that's true or if it was a policy when Kline was about but can't recall the last good signing we made from 3rd or 4th tier.

Two Ton Ted

Quote from: Penfold on February 14, 2019, 02:41:06 PM
Yep. Brentford do use stats as part of their recruitment. Maybe we should poach their stats man off them?

They certainly look at the lower divisions over here which, as I recall, it was claimed Fulham do not as the stats below the Championship are 'not reliable'. Don't know if that's true or if it was a policy when K was about but can't recall the last good signing we made from 3rd or 4th tier.

Quite why they look at the 2nd tiers in France and Belgium and not the 3rd tier in England is complete and utter folly.

Our record goalscorer came from non league after all.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

Penfold

For some reason when I put a certain ex employee's name down only the first letter shows 😂

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

They certainly look at the lower divisions over here which, as I recall, it was claimed Fulham do not as the stats below the Championship are 'not reliable'. Don't know if that's true or if it was a policy when K was about but can't recall the last good signing we made from 3rd or 4th tier.

It was pprobably when we were in the 3rd and 4th Tier.
A certain Mr Conroy rings a bell  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Penfold

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on February 14, 2019, 02:46:34 PM

It was pprobably when we were in the 3rd and 4th Tier.
A certain Mr Conroy rings a bell  :0)

Adams made a promotion winning team out of cast offs. As I recall, Matt Lawrence and Danny Culip ended up as established championship players.

Riversider

After the stats have all been gathered they have to be passed to somebody to make a decision, ours get passed to Tony Khan who knows as much about football as I do about American Wrestling,
Maybe Brentford have got the sense to pass their info to somebody that is clued up,
Makes one he'll of a difference.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Riversider on February 14, 2019, 02:56:19 PM

After the stats have all been gathered they have to be passed to somebody to make a decision, ours get passed to Tony Khan who knows as much about football as I do about American Wrestling,
Maybe Brentford have got the sense to pass their info to somebody that is clued up,
Makes one he'll of a difference.

Yes I agree, my comment was very much made tongue in cheek (which may not be very clear, admittedly). Using statistics is not a problem, it would rather be a problem if you didn't use them since they are readily available. I have never agreed with stats bashers, since I believe they fail to see the problem and just want to find something to blame.

I don't think however that it is as straight forward as you make it out to be above. There are many parties involved of which TK is admittedly a main player, but I believe that blame should be directed at everyone involved. Not in equal parts of course, but TK is not the only one that should reflect upon his contribution surely?

BestOfBrede

You could look at many other teams approach to business and see things that 'may' be deemed as better than our approach - surely you could do the same with any business field?
What amazes me is the fact that Fulham supporters are for ever looking at teams, most doing worse than us (lower division etc), and stating how much better they are than us! Or at least that is the implication of their posts.
If Brentford's business lan is so good, how comes they are STILL where they are?