Started by Aaron, February 15, 2019, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 16, 2019, 09:43:48 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2019, 09:27:31 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 16, 2019, 08:58:43 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2019, 02:51:29 PM
Quote from: mrmicawbers on February 16, 2019, 10:51:39 AM
Think I will give him some more time before I would consider making an appraisal of him.Some players need time when coming from another Country.

For £30 million quid, I expect him to make an immediate impact, and hit the ground running.
We are not running a holiday camp for convalescence.
If any player whoever he is, and wherever he is coming from. If there is a risk of a so called delay in settling in, then don't take that risk. How many times have we signed players from overseas who have been sent out on loan or not come up to scratch because they cannot settle or are just not good enough because of the culture of our football. There have been too many, and some of them expensive ones, too many for comfort.
Just one of a number of issues that have contributed to our demise.

I think there is always a risk of a so called delay in settling in, in every transfer. So to categorically say "don't take that risk" doesn't work. I agree however, that with an increased risk because of factors like the ones you are mentioning (time to settle, time to adapt to football culture), an increased potential upside is needed (huge potential sell on value, filling a desperate need, regarded as a class above what we can otherwise get). But transfers are always risky business, more so with huge money involved.

Also remember that there are players like Dempsey or Dembele (the first) that started out below par/underwhelming but ended up looking like great signings in hindsight.

I cannot really agree with your conclusion. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, too many errors of judgement, blind risk taking which has contributed to where we are now.
Money irresponsibly wasted, because they never learn, the same mistakes every year, from their naive maximum age limits, to signing injured unfit players, who have to take turns to sit in the medical room, as there are not enough seats. Not forgetting lightweight unsuitable players, who selects them, the tea lady. Just don't get me on how they operate their stats system.
Poor preparation and organisation from preseason onwards.
Then there is their hiring and firing of managers and other staff, from Felix Magath to CK, and I haven't even included the innocent victims.
So many self inflicted wounds. 
A classic case of the blind leading the blind.

I am not really sure what conclusion of mine you don't agree with? My only real conclusion was that I don't believe that it is possible to avoid risks in transfer dealings, which you of course don't have to agree with. I didn't try to disregard your concerns and my post was in no way defending our current recruitment set up, which the rest of your post seem to suggest that you believe I did. Sorry if I am misunderstanding you.

It's ok, there is nothing for you to opologise for. In our own individual ways, are all genuinely concerned in our different feelings about the club.
Especially at times like this, nobody feels that good about how this season has panned out, I just hope that from here on in it does not get any worse, and somewhere along the line we can arrest the slide and finish with a flourish.
Because hope which is an oasis of comfort in this current desert of adversity is all we currently have left.
Every silver lining has a cloud, in as much in the same way that every cloud has a silver lining.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2019, 09:56:59 PM

It's ok, there is nothing for you to opologise for. In our own individual ways, are all genuinely concerned in different ways about the club.
Especially at times like this, nobody feels that good about how this season has panned out, I just hope that from here on in it does not get any worse, and somewhere along the line we can arrest the slide and finish with a flourish.
Because hope which is an oasis of comfort in this current desert of adversity is all we currently have left.
Every silver lining has a cloud, in as much in the same way that every cloud has a silver lining.

082.gif 049:gif

The Rational Fan

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on February 16, 2019, 10:11:14 AM
Quote from: JoelH5 on February 16, 2019, 04:34:33 AM
He's only 23. A season in the Championship could be exactly what he needs. Let's hope he stays and gets game time. I think he could be good with some consistency, especially at a lower quality level.

I heard people say the same about Kamara that hes only 22-23. 23 is not young in football terms, you got players that are world class in their teens. Sure players can improve with experience etc but at 23 you should be somewhere near the finished article

Anguissa 17/18 was getting whoscored stats of 7.11 in Ligue 1, exactly the same as Mitrovoic 18/19 gets at Fulham. Anguissa is now getting whoscored stats of pathetic 6.45, exactly the same as Mitrovoic got at Newcastle. Mitrovoic was terrible in a Newcastle shirt and Anguissa is terrible in a Fulham shirt. May i suggest, FFC fans singing "Mitro on fire" maybe why he's so good here, so how do we get Anguissa getting 7.11 whoscored stats (that he got last year which would be better than Chambers 6.94).

Denver Fulham

There's a difference between being a bad signing and a bad player. I don't think Frank is a bad player. I do think the club badly needed a dominant DM for Slav's system to have a prayer of working, and Frank was nothing close to that, which is a major reason we're being insta-relegated. That's a bad signing.

Aaron

Quote from: Denver Fulham on February 16, 2019, 11:35:55 PM
There's a difference between being a bad signing and a bad player. I don't think Frank is a bad player. I do think the club badly needed a dominant DM for Slav's system to have a prayer of working, and Frank was nothing close to that, which is a major reason we're being insta-relegated. That's a bad signing.

I think that's more what I was getting at.

If (some would seem to think it's a big "if") our club record signing ends up leaving as part of a fire sale at the end of the season for a fraction of what we paid, then that's got to go down as one of the biggest transfer bombs in history no matter what he might go on to do elsewhere.

I'd love the lad to do well for us, but I don't see it happening in the current setup.

RaySmith

Quote from: Denver Fulham on February 16, 2019, 11:35:55 PM

But he's very young and inexperienced, and had never played at Prem level. Surely one for he future, rather than a player who could be the dominating creative, and governing force in midfield that we needed, and still need.
In fact, he's  hardly appeared in a Fulham shirt.

FulhamStu

I still think and hope he will come good.  On how much money we pay for players, Fulham dont divulge this information.  Agents and selling clubs want their fans to think they have got a boat load of cash so who knows if we really paid £30M.   My guess is we paid no where near £30M.  We could have signed him for £10M with an extra £10M when he scores 50 goals and an extra £10M when he makes his 200th appearance.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 17, 2019, 08:39:22 AM
I still think and hope he will come good.  On how much money we pay for players, Fulham dont divulge this information.  Agents and selling clubs want their fans to think they have got a boat load of cash so who knows if we really paid £30M.   My guess is we paid no where near £30M.  We could have signed him for £10M with an extra £10M when he scores 50 goals and an extra £10M when he makes his 200th appearance.

There are many ways to inflate the price, one classic is a "Baloon D'Or" clause, which says if a player wins "world player of the year", the club will pay full price. We could boost Cyrus Christie's price or any player to £30m with Baloon D'Or clause.

It's worth noting some owners lie to imply they are spending less than are like Tigana and MAF. The only thing that matters is whether the Khans find ways to pump more and more money into the team and managers get results.

bill taylors apprentice

For me the main point is this:

We knew we didn't have a team for the PL, both quantity & quality as soon as the final whistle blew at Wembley.

So paying big money for one untried prospect hoping he would contribute this season but mainly for the future was not the priority.

But now we were with the big boys maybe this was not such a bad thing as long as it was in addition to building a team that could survive the first season.

We all know who else and when the rest of the signings arrived and we can look back now and make an informed judgement on the work done to provide the HC with a squad worthy of the challenge.

So its fair comment to say he was brought in to hit the ground running and deliver PL performances as a regular player and that's where the problem lies.

All that may not be his fault but that wasn't the question!

filham

So, what happens to Anguissa  now,  a season with us in the Championship or put on the transfer list in May. Bet there will not be a queue of clubs at the Cottage door wishing to pay £30m for him.

Statto

Do you take this approach where we sell players as well, and assume we sold them for much less than the reported fees?

Personally I don't believe everything I read but it cuts both ways - there are some who'll want to make the fee seem more and some who'll want to make it seem less. If all the press reports are in the same ballpark (as they were with Anguissa) I'm highly inclined to believe that.

Jamie88

I seem to remember the reported fee was around £24 million and there was also mention of €30 million euros - this then somehow forgotten that they reported in euros and people began talking as if it were £30 million.
Either way it's a huge amount of money for the club to spend on a player who is far far from proven

One Martin Thomas

He did ok at Liverpool and there is hope ! He's young and athletic but a tad clumsy; he'll be fine in the Championship next year

Barrett487

Wouldn't it be so Fulhamish if we offload him cut-price, only for him to come good being used differently for another team?

I can see it happening.... sell him for £5 mill to someone like Stoke, only for him to dominate the Championship next year and score his first ever goals against us (i'm not counting the 2 he scored for Cameroon).

MJG

Long term contract and almost a long term project now. He stays as far as I'm concerned.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Quote from: Jamie88 on February 17, 2019, 11:42:06 AM
I seem to remember the reported fee was around £24 million and there was also mention of €30 million euros - this then somehow forgotten that they reported in euros and people began talking as if it were £30 million.
Either way it's a huge amount of money for the club to spend on a player who is far far from proven

Agree, whether it was £24m or £30m is frankly immaterial, the point is it was bloody loads. Getting a bit like the brexit bus that should have said £250m instead of £350m.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Statto on February 17, 2019, 10:58:27 AM

Do you take this approach where we sell players as well, and assume we sold them for much less than the reported fees?

Personally I don't believe everything I read but it cuts both ways - there are some who'll want to make the fee seem more and some who'll want to make it seem less. If all the press reports are in the same ballpark (as they were with Anguissa) I'm highly inclined to believe that.
Quote from: Statto on February 17, 2019, 10:58:27 AM
[/quote%s]

I don't take any 'approach' I am mearly pointing out that we don't know what the fee was !   It could be what ever you want it to be.  I am sure it was a lot of money, but suspect quite. Bit less than £30M and quite likely to depend on milestones being reached.  I don't think Frank was a good buy as we needed defenders who were ready and of the required standard from day 1 and money should have been prioritised for those players.  That said we were lacking so much as a squad it was a huge task to be Premiership ready but we did a poor job looking back now.

What I do know is that some players can take quite a while to get up to speed with the requirements of our football.  Young foreign players in particular may take a season to be ready.  Son at Spurs is a good example, this season he looks fantastic but was hardly noticed last.

I am sure we all hope Frank will come good, I do and think we should stick with him.

Aaron

Quote from: MJG on February 17, 2019, 12:16:43 PM
Long term contract and almost a long term project now. He stays as far as I'm concerned.

Can we afford to keep a player who doesn't make it into the starting XI at the minute and who is on a reported £67k a week in the Championship?

MJG

Quote from: Aaron on February 17, 2019, 04:56:28 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 17, 2019, 12:16:43 PM

Can we afford to keep a player who doesn't make it into the starting XI at the minute and who is on a reported £67k a week in the Championship?
For a start been injured and just back to the squad. was sub only twice when available so hardly not in team. TC cant get in the team would you say the same?
Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

we still dont really know what Anguissa can do ,he has played so little ,so to suggest that he is one of our worst ever signings seems a bit premature to me. He has been a disappointing signing so far but that can change ,and quickly with a few good performances.