News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

At what stage to you admit enough is enough?

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, February 17, 2019, 12:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Most, including myself, will say we're done already, however, the Club will naturally fight till the very end to keep Fulham in the Premiership.

With that in mind, at what stage do they admit defeat, and start putting building blocks in place, ready for next season in the Championship?

Personally, if we come away from West Ham with another defeat, that's it for me, and I feel Ranieri should be moved on, no point in keeping him, but I feel the Club may do so until we are mathematically relegated.

For me, that's not good enough, as we're persistently late in everything we do, so, to prepare early for the Championship, and to give us a good head start, I'd move him on after West Ham.

Not everyone's popular choice, but, I'd put Parker in charge until the end of the season, and I repeat, till end of the season only, whilst the Club look for Ranieri's successor.

By all accounts, Parker does have a good relationship with most of the players, and, it's important that this is upheld from now, until the end of the season, as relegations can be further dividing.

Club then needs to sit down and seriously look at its strategy, what went wrong, what wasn't learnt from last time around in the Premier League, and those who are responsible for it, moved on, and I'm talking about the CEO here, Director of Football, Scouts etc, and replaced with competent individuals.

Tough to do anything about Tony, but I feel he needs to foot majority of the blame, and seriously consider getting better people around him after this car crash of a season.

Anyway, new coach of a Wagner type style needs to be appointed by close of this season, not after, not during the summer, but as soon as possible, so they can start working straight away, with current squad, and on future targets.

Personally, I don't think we have to go through a 2 season period to bounce back, or, a Sunderland type drop, if we start to plan now, and get our ship in order.

Yes, it looks glum now, but, going down, we've never looked more healthier, and with the right strategy in place, I believe we can bounce straight back.

Over to you Tony..

toshes mate

Thoughtful posting but unsure about Parker filling the void.  I would have preferred the Club to have rid itself of Ranieri already and have a strategy about what football it wants Fulham to play and how we can ensure we build for success in the Championship in a sensible period of time.  I think it is a stretch to think we will recover quickly enough to challenge next season although I will concede it could happen.  My own view is that whatever else our DoF doesn't do he does at least have a plan agreed by all concerned, a plan that he will not be able to thwart through negligence or sheer incompetence.  I am not sure we will get that with TK in post.

ffcne

I still cannot believe we have a very outside chance of survival.
But i think game over if we do not get 6 points from next 2 games.
Ranieri was never the man to get us out of this mess.

MJG

Effectively we are not out of it even if we get to 31 games stuck on 17 pts. 7 games gives you 21 points and max of 38. From that point  onwards we are on the road to being done.
Just the views of a long term fan

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: toshes mate on February 17, 2019, 12:31:25 PM
Thoughtful posting but unsure about Parker filling the void.  I would have preferred the Club to have rid itself of Ranieri already and have a strategy about what football it wants Fulham to play and how we can ensure we build for success in the Championship in a sensible period of time.  I think it is a stretch to think we will recover quickly enough to challenge next season although I will concede it could happen.  My own view is that whatever else our DoF doesn't do he does at least have a plan agreed by all concerned, a plan that he will not be able to thwart through negligence or sheer incompetence.  I am not sure we will get that with TK in post.

Parker was quoted, only if we had no one to fill that void, if Ranieri was outed. Ideally, I'd like to do what Huddersfield are doing, and have our guy in now, as they have a head start.

colinwhite

We arent down until we are down, and all the `realists` that dont seem to get that ,dont understand the psychology of doing anything else . The day we accept we are down creates a slippery slope for next time. After christmas last season the realists were claiming we were out of it and could even go down . Football isnt always logical and a requirement is that you keep on fighting whatever the situation ,whatever the score. People who understand the game know THAT to be the only  logic that matters. Our situation isnt good but we are not down and can still  turn it around.
No offense but its a good job you arent running the club ,sorry.

The Rational Fan

If we beat West Ham, Southampton and Chelsea, i doubt many people would think we'd get relegated.

Slaphead in Qatar

Any optimism needs to take into consideration how we are playing. Mathematically we can still finish mid table. But performance wise especially the last 2 performances , then we are as dead as a dodo

MikeTheCubed

I accepted we were down-and-out in 2008 after the defeat at home to Sunderland. With Bullard & Murphy in the middle of a 4-4-2 it had concerned me that there wasn't a 'ball winner' in midfield. With a front two of McBride & Healy with Dempsey & Davies out wide it had concerned me there was no pace in our attack. What that team did possess in abundance however was graft & team spirit.

Contrast that to now and we have a manager who persists with 2 foreign lightweight luxury players who do not even belong to us, while freezing out 2 British players who are still contracted to us for next season. Then you have the matter of Seri; while his performances do appear to have improved in recent weeks he seems to be playing like a player who knows another club will "rescue" him when the trap door inevitably opens.

Although I fully expected us to lose to Man United the part which really killed this season for me was the team selections for the Palace & United games. First we were too negative against a mediocre side missing their best player and failed to have a shot on target despite having 72% possession. Add to that the repeated half-time substitution of Ream for Vietto as if lightning would strike twice (an attacking substitution yes, but one which was not as instrumental towards the previous result as the manager may have thought). Then Claudio picks an overly-attacking lineup to play against a top side in excellent form. This demonstrated to me that the manager simply does not have a clue and is resorting to trial and error, the exception being to Cairney & Sessegnon as that can perhaps be construed as an admission that he's got his public criticism of them wrong.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: colinwhite on February 17, 2019, 01:07:02 PM
We arent down until we are down, and all the `realists` that dont seem to get that ,dont understand the psychology of doing anything else . The day we accept we are down creates a slippery slope for next time. After christmas last season the realists were claiming we were out of it and could even go down . Football isnt always logical and a requirement is that you keep on fighting whatever the situation ,whatever the score. People who understand the game know THAT to be the only  logic that matters. Our situation isnt good but we are not down and can still  turn it around.

I don't take offense to anything FFC related, I wouldn't want to be running this circus either, I'd be ashamed to as a fan, but, reckon I'd have done a better a job, even if it was just marginally.

Tell me Collin, how long have you been watching this Club for now? How many relegations and promotions have you been through as a fan? And honestly, as bad as it is, do you even see us getting out of this? As a fan, you can SMELL a relegation, and this absolutely stinks of one, so much so, I'd be prepared to have a wager with you.

Huddersfield can also stay up, mathematically, but they've installed a Championship manager ready for next season, so don't see your point.

From a footballing perspective, sometimes you just have to accept your fate.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 17, 2019, 01:42:02 PM
If we beat West Ham, Southampton and Chelsea, i doubt many people would think we'd get relegated.

For sure, and always believe we will do, but as a realist, we'll be lucky to come away with ANY points from that lot.

hovewhite

Plodder

Not yet. Two of the best known bookmakers have us at 1-10 to go down.  (The odds have shifted from 1-16 without any recent games, which I guess reflects money staked).  5-10% chance of staying up sounds about right, which is too early to be raising the white flag. I also don't think there is much which can be done constructively over the next 5-6 games anyway in terms of "preparing for the Championship", so best to make every decision geared towards avoiding relegation if possible.  If we do beat both West Ham Utd and Southampton, we shall be right back in the scrap.  Yes, it is possible rather than probable, and unlikely rather than likely, but winning two consecutive games is not a pipedream.

ex-Pat

colinwhite

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on February 17, 2019, 02:12:37 PM

I don't take offense to anything FFC related, I wouldn't want to be running this circus either, I'd be ashamed to as a fan, but, reckon I'd have done a better a job, even if it was just marginally.

Tell me Collin, how long have you been watching this Club for now? How many relegations and promotions have you been through as a fan? And honestly, as bad as it is, do you even see us getting out of this? As a fan, you can SMELL a relegation, and this absolutely stinks of one, so much so, I'd be prepared to have a wager with you.

Huddersfield can also stay up, mathematically, but they've installed a Championship manager ready for next season, so don't see your point.

Actually Jim Ive been supporting the whites since 1966,the year of our first great escape,although that has nothing to do with point i was making.I am not particularly optimistic either for that matter ,when it comes to this season . All of this is however irrelivant to the point that I was making that when it comes to running a club relegation can never be accepted until it is  a mathematically  certainty . What we think would be smart or wise means nothing. And to suggest that with 12 games to go the club should accept our fate ,and start planning for next season would cause irrepairable damage. An important part of football is the mentality that we arent beaten until the final whistle goes .
The idea  that it is somehow smart or wise to cut your losses can never be the policy of any club, or its supporters for that matter, however disappointed we are in the way things have panned out.

RaySmith

Quote from: colinwhite on February 17, 2019, 05:54:15 PM

Actually Jim Ive been supporting the whites since 1966,the year of our first great escape,although that has nothing to do with point i was making.I am not particularly optomistic either for that matter ,when it comes to this season . All of this is however irrelivant to the point that I was making that when it comes to running a club relegation can never be accepted until it is  a mathematically  certainty . What we think would be smart or wise means nothing. And to suggest that with 12 games to go the club should accept our fate ,and start planning for next season would cause irrepairable damage. An important part of football is the mentality that we arent beaten until the final whistle goes .
The idea  that it is somehow smart or wise to cut your losses can never be the policy of any club, or its supporters for that matter, however disappointed we are in the way things have paned out.

0001.jpeg

filham

Yes, after the Southampton game , if there are no signs of improvement, put Parker in charge and start rebuilding for next season.
We are all assuming Parker would accept the job, not sure that taking us down would look good on his CV.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: colinwhite on February 17, 2019, 05:54:15 PM

Actually Jim Ive been supporting the whites since 1966,the year of our first great escape,although that has nothing to do with point i was making.I am not particularly optimistic either for that matter ,when it comes to this season . All of this is however irrelivant to the point that I was making that when it comes to running a club relegation can never be accepted until it is  a mathematically  certainty . What we think would be smart or wise means nothing. And to suggest that with 12 games to go the club should accept our fate ,and start planning for next season would cause irrepairable damage. An important part of football is the mentality that we arent beaten until the final whistle goes .
The idea  that it is somehow smart or wise to cut your losses can never be the policy of any club, or its supporters for that matter, however disappointed we are in the way things have panned out.

So, why aren't Huddersfield playing to the final whistle? They will, naturally, they have to, they can't forfeit any games, but they sacked off Wagner, and have replaced him, with what I class as a Championship coach, in perpetration. I'm also sure Huddersfield won't give up until they are mathematically gone, however, in their hearts, and business minds, they know they are gone, and in some respects, so do the owners at Fulham.

Respect for supporting the club since 1966, you're a bit older than me, however, I've been around long enough to smell a relegation, and this is one, and doesn't taste like the great escape under Roy, which I knew we'd get out of.

A draw or loss against West Ham, and I'm pretty sure Ranieri will be on his toes, and the Club will start preparing for the division below. It's just a matter few days now.

All but a couple of our players don't want it.

ALG01

For my first post.
I think enough was enough on 31st January.
It seemed the club made no realistic effort to  improve the playing squad  and the two we got in were tokenism of a shabby kind.

I fear for the rest of the season. The fans have largely lost faith in the new manager who has not been inspiring with his team formations or player selections. The squad is not quite as we might have wished but the manager seems unable to get the best from them and it appears they have lost confidence in him.

If we lose on Friday I cannot imagine Claudio will last.

filham

Quote from: ALG01 on February 17, 2019, 07:01:46 PM
For my first post.
I think enough was enough on 31st January.
It seemed the club made no realistic effort to  improve the playing squad  and the two we got in were tokenism of a shabby kind.

I fear for the rest of the season. The fans have largely lost faith in the new manager who has not been inspiring with his team formations or player selections. The squad is not quite as we might have wished but the manager seems unable to get the best from them and it appears they have lost confidence in him.

If we lose on Friday I cannot imagine Claudio will last.
If we lose the next two games and Ranieri is still with us for what is going to be an embarrassing  thrashing by Chelsea I think that those "don't know what you are doing" chants heard at the Man.U. game will change to the simple "Ranieri out"