more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We have to take our chances

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, February 18, 2019, 01:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Tony Pulis - today

"I'm pleased. I don't want to take the gloss off it because I thought we were very good today, but to get 27 shots on goal and just score one goal is something I've kept harping on about since I joined the football club"

It's a problem we and every other club has had throughout the history of footie ball,  at every level..
We've missed a couple of 'early doors' sitters recently
"What might have been if .........Mitro
"what might have been if ......... Vietto
etc  etc

What a ridiculous statement, do we really think that players miss chances on purpose

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

filham

We on the other hand have to concentrate on just getting shots on target , remember none against Palace.

Woolly Mammoth

If players aimed at the keeper, instead of trying to score either side of him, we would score more goals.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

Converting chances is about getting the right player in the right situation at the right time.

Just lashing at the ball from 25+yards a la Dempsey pre Jol, AS now, and even Christie, can give the statistical impression of threatening the opposition goal. But I think an attempt is one where a player makes an attempt that causes really confusion and panic in the defence and/or angst among the opposition  supporters.

Against Man Utd we apparently had 15 shots, onlly 3 on target and in truth only 2 that worried the opposition. We did not display sufficient creativity because of poor team selection and tactics so were never likely to score.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Cauley was guilty of that, I always thought that if he had a coach who taught him to keep his head down when shooting
then he would have scored a lot more.
Another one was Darren Freeman, an exciting character who many of us ducked  under his shots in Row Z of the Hammy
or waited in Bishops Park to catch his shots.
Affectionately know as "Barn Door Darren"

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Even the best are 'guilty'

Wasteful Barcelona could not convert any of their 25 shots in a goalless Champions League last-16 first-leg draw against Lyon.

Usually so proficient in front of goal, Barca's Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Phillipe Coutinho were all denied by Lyon goalkeeper Anthony Lopes.

Liverpool's Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich remains finely poised after a goalless draw in the first leg at Anfield.

The hosts posed the greater threat but were either wasteful in front of goal or kept out by Bayern's well-marshalled defence.

Sadio Mane missed a handful of first-half chances, most notably dragging a shot on the turn wide from inside the penalty area when unmarked.

SWSixer

xG (expected goals) is a useful stat to dig around with; https://understat.com/league/EPL/2018

We've scored 25 league goals - 5 fewer than our xG of 30 - suggesting that our finishing has been poor.
Interestingly, our xG against is 49.84 vs our actual 58 goals conceded - suggesting that teams are taking more unlikely chances against us.

Our Expected Points (I'm guessing is based around xg for vs xg against) has us on 24 points - ahead of Newcastle.

From this we can conclude that it has been a combination of poor finishing, poor defending and a healthy dose of bad luck - 3 traits no doubt shared by every relegated team in history.

Ronnief

Have you watched the team warm up prior to a match. A short session for the forwards is spent on shooting practice. I can,t believe how many shots when under no pressure from opposing players go high and wide into the Hammy end. Are there any stats to show a players shot accuracy?

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on February 19, 2019, 11:37:26 PM
Even the best are 'guilty'

Wasteful Barcelona could not convert any of their 25 shots in a goalless Champions League last-16 first-leg draw against Lyon.

Usually so proficient in front of goal, Barca's Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Phillipe Coutinho were all denied by Lyon goalkeeper Anthony Lopes.

Liverpool's Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich remains finely poised after a goalless draw in the first leg at Anfield.

The hosts posed the greater threat but were either wasteful in front of goal or kept out by Bayern's well-marshalled defence.

Sadio Mane missed a handful of first-half chances, most notably dragging a shot on the turn wide from inside the penalty area when unmarked.

I don't understand how both are described as wasteful when the accompanying sentences include a good defence and good goalkeeping. Surely that's just good attacks clashing with good defences.
Unfortunately we have neither, Mitro without support is an average attack. And less said of our defence the better

ALG01

Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on February 19, 2019, 11:11:37 PM
Cauley was guilty of that, I always thought that if he had a coach who taught him to keep his head down when shooting
Another one was Darren Freeman, an exciting character who many of us ducked  under his shots in Row Z of the Hammy

Cauley? Best goals to minutes on the pitch ratio of any Fulham player whilst he was here.
I don't usually favour stats but sometimes they are illuminating, and that one is.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: ALG01 on February 20, 2019, 10:22:28 PM
Quote from: rogerpnowinFlorida on February 19, 2019, 11:11:37 PM

Cauley? Best goals to minutes on the pitch ratio of any Fulham player whilst he was here.
I don't usually favour stats but sometimes they are illuminating, and that one is.

I agree, if only one of the managers during his time with us had seen that and told his coaches to focus,
maybe ny now he could have been a decent striker