watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR posts

Started by BishopsParkFantastic, February 19, 2019, 09:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BishopsParkFantastic

I believe the time has come for clear rules governing NFRs on this site. I can understand why people would post football or sport related NFRs, but surely there is no place for other NFRs on this site? If people want to open discussion on other, non football related topics, then there is facebook and other social media sites for them to do this. In my view, it is not just a case of moderators locking unwelcome NFRs, but removing them completely.

RaySmith

I think you can find in the guides for posting, rules banning posts on politics or religion.

But, I think that in the fairly rare cases such topics are raised, the Mods wait to see how he discussion develops, not wanting to be too heavy handed.

Of course, the discussion inevitably degenerates into a slanging match, though occasionally controversial topics are sensibly discussed

The post below about the woman who went and followed Isis, and now wants back into Britain with her new baby, was bound to be stopped - 'what do people on here think about this woman coming back to Britain.....?

ffcthereligion

I started that thread and i don't see the problem. I even said at the start of the thread 'apologies to the mods if this is deemed against the rules'.

I don't have social media to debate these issues and dont see why canvassing opinion on a fulham related board is such an issue.

Quote from: RaySmith on February 19, 2019, 09:30:15 AM
I think you can find in the guides for posting, rules banning posts on politics or religion.

But, I think that in the fairly rare cases such topics are raised, the Mods wait to see how he discussion develops, not wanting to be too heavy handed.

Of course, the discussion inevitably degenerates into a slanging match, though occasionally controversial topics are sensibly discussed

The post below about the woman who went and followed Isis, and now wants back into Britain with her new baby, was bound to be stopped - 'what do people on here think about this woman coming back to Britain.....?

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: RaySmith on February 19, 2019, 09:30:15 AM

Her father is a Chelsea supporter. There shouldn't even be a debate to be had  092.gif.

RaySmith

MJG

Don't have problem with NFR posts, if anything I'd say we don't have enough of them.
Yes, it's a Fulham forum but I liken it to a pub where people are here for a common reason to mix and talk about mainly football, but if other (allowed) subjects come up I don't see an issue.
We have a diverse group on this board covering many interests and backgrounds which could inform us all.

Just the views of a long term fan

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 10:01:43 AM
Don't have problem with NFR posts, if anything I'd say we don't have enough of them.
Yes, it's a Fulham forum but I liken it to a pub where people are here for a common reason to mix and talk about mainly football, but if other (allowed) subjects come up I don't see an issue.
We have a diverse group on this board covering many interests and backgrounds which could inform us all.

I disagree. I don't read/post on here to discuss anything and everything - there are plenty of other avenues for that.  While you may liken it to a pub, some (me included) might liken it to a football supporters club bar.  The occasional, well-mannered NFR on here is ok by me, but it's a question of degree and I think that this board (aka Mods) have it about right IMO.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MJG

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 19, 2019, 10:09:45 AM
Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 10:01:43 AM

I disagree. I don't read/post on here to discuss anything and everything - there are plenty of other avenues for that.  While you may liken it to a pub, some (me included) might liken it to a football supporters club bar.  The occasional, well-mannered NFR on here is ok by me, but it's a question of degree and I think that this board (aka Mods) have it about right IMO.
Pub/supporters Bar I meant the same really, thats not to say chats within supporters bars are only one subject.
I'm easy with it and as we have seen over the years this site pretty much moderates itself  NFR subject wise and anything that pops up that has little interaction soon drops off the page.
Just the views of a long term fan

I Ronic

For me the plus point about NFR subjects is the fact that, apart from all supporting the same Club we are all broadly different in other ways. Which leads to a far more varied opinion on a given subject. On the whole the replies remain polite as well. I live down on the north east coast of Kent and anything posted on social media sites related to the local area soon descends into a swearing and threats argument.
My views on a couple of posters have altered in a positive way when I've read their replies on some NFR's.  I sometimes think the Mods lock a thread too early sometimes but that's easy for me to say looking back. They have to make a decision on the spot. No one on here is required to read every post, so the choice remains ours. I feel the NFR's add to the Forum rather than detract.

Woolly Mammoth

I am quite content to have NFR Threads, if I am not interested in the subject, I tend not to read it.
But having a NFR Thread gives me a chance to mention Mince & Tatties Garden Shed now and again, or is that actually Fulham related ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

mrmicawbers

Not everyone does Social media and the nearest I get is this board so welcome NFR threads within reason.

Twig

I have no problem with NFR posts, they are clearly marked so if someone isn't interested they can pass these threads by. What's the problem?

Statto

Personally I think the NFR approach and in particular the "no politics" rule makes sense. Whilst we have our disputes about FFC, there is at least a general respect for other posters' opinions and recognition that we all support the same team. That goes out the window on most political/NFR threads.

For example look at the thread about Adolf Soubry the other day, and how quickly some (ironically including some of those now encouraging more NFR debate on this thread) got really wound up there.

Also, when these threads are (inevitably) locked, IMO they should be deleted. Otherwise you have something like a game of pass-the-parcel where whomever has posted last when the thread gets locked, gets the last word. Something that still sticks in my throat was a thread about Grenfell a while back, where one of the old mods, DannyBoy, posted a long rant (suffice to say it was absolute tripe) then locked the thread himself so no one could reply to his rant and he had the last word.   

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I wish the mods would lock this tread, it's not Fulham related
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Fulham1959

I have always wondered, genuinely, whether the 'F' stood for 'Fulham' or 'Football'.

I'm OK with the way things are - after all, there are more things in life than Football/Fulham - and it often lightens the mood to have the occasional more general topic or life query.