watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy Hodgeson As Director Of Football ?

Started by filham, February 19, 2019, 05:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

I see that Roy Hodgson has become the oldest manager ever in Premier  league football, maybe at the end of the season with a Palace FA Cup win under his belt retirement could possibly cross his mind.
Would this not be a good time to entice him back to the Cottage with the offer of a part time job as Director Of Football with a brief to stop Tony Khan making any more mistakes and to direct Scott Parker as coach.
Could work.

spikey norman

Why part time job?
Surely full time and with no interference and with Ray Lew as manager.
Can see this working.

Twig

Roy would stand a great chance of pursuading Tony K to take a step back whilst beginning to learn just a little from A mentor with a lifetime of experience and wisdom. Roy is articulate, thoughtful and considered. He would have terrific credibility and if anyone could succeed Roy could.

ScalleysDad

It could work and his knowledge and experience could not be questioned by whatever committee process we run things by these days but it's unlikely. He has a project on the go at the moment with a no nonsense chairman, a half decent No.2 and mid table security within reach over the next couple of seasons. He is a Palace fan to boot is'nt he ?
I wonder if there is a younger version of Roy hiding out somewhere on the continent? I think we need a fresh look at what we do and how we go about doing it but the personnel choices will need to be spot on and 'in it' for the long haul, in this case about five years I would suggest.

HV71

Such an appointment would surely restore a great deal of faith in the club. An experienced football man who is intelligent and a gentleman to boot . I doubt it will happen but it would be brilliant if it did

hovewhite

Quote from: HV71 on February 19, 2019, 07:30:28 PM
Such an appointment would surely restore a great deal of faith in the club. An experienced football man who is intelligent and a gentleman to boot . I doubt it will happen but it would be brilliant if it did
it would restore mine!

The Enclosurite

Great idea but I think this is an idea that is already being thrown around at Palace according to the fans I know.  Would be a natural move for him I guess unless it all ends badly and he severs his ties.  Would absolutely love Roy to come back to the club in some capacity.
¡COYW!

ALG01

Roy is a Palace fan.
I do not see him ever coming back to us.

The Rational Fan

Whether the Tony Khan is the DOF or not, Shadid Khan thinks that Tony Khan knows more about football than him (and that ain't going to change). Hence, on footballing matters SK will be seeking Tony Khans advice. And, if Tony Khan is not the DOF then the DOF power will be limited, so effectively Tony Khan will need to ok any player before signing the check.

In conclusion, if Tony Khan is not DOF it fixes nothing in terms of recruitment. Only one thing can fix FFC recruitment that is "better advisors to Tony Khan". I know Tony Khan likes players with good statistics and this season we only have two players with good statistics (Mitrovoic and Chambers). Get TK an advisor that can find nine more players with good statistics and sell TK the stats.

FFC advisors are to blame for the recruitment too, I refuse to believe that Tony Khan got good advice, they should have pointed out a number of statistics about players that were red flags (like Anguissa stats reveal that he has only succeeded with two holding midfielders and his huge number inceptions in Ligue 1 are often followed by dispossessions so you need quality defenders behind him).

Woolly Mammoth

My pet Dung Beetle knows more about football than Tony Khan. He knows very little, and his dad knows even less.
If he knows so much about football as AM states, then why does he need advisors, and why are his advisors getting blamed for his shortcomings.
Too many heads in the sand in denial.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

There is an old saying "never go back" you can never repeat it. it was done once. that must stay it is what makes the man a legend. He would never do it again and we must look for a new way and make another legend. We had an opportunity with Slavisa

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 19, 2019, 11:45:57 PM
My pet Dung Beetle knows more about football than Tony Khan. He knows very little, and his dad knows even less.
If he knows so much about football as AM states, then why does he need advisors, and why are his advisors getting blamed for his shortcomings. Too many heads in the sand in denial.

The Advisors job is to advise. If the advisors have given poor recruitment advice, then they should be blamed.

I am sure your "Pet Dung Beetle" would do a great job as "Director of Football" given the right advisors.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 20, 2019, 01:30:09 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 19, 2019, 11:45:57 PM
If he knows so much about football as AM states, then why does he need advisors, and why are his advisors getting blamed for his shortcomings. Too many heads in the sand in denial.

The Advisors job is to advise. If the advisors have given poor recruitment advice, then they should be blamed.

I am sure your "Pet Dung Beetle" would do a great job as "Director of Football" given the right advisors.
Who advises the advisors, if the man needs advisors, maybe then he is not fit for purpose.
Maybe they are all incompetent, which will explain everything.
TK, his advisors, and his advisors advisors.
Sack the lot of them, TK first, as he is the costliest mistake, and you should never give a sucker an even break. Think of the wage bill that would be saved, as well as the reducing the number of loan players, and the amount of injured players signed during last minute panics, and the number of players from overseas that take half a decade to settle because they are homesick.
Not forgetting my pet Dung Beetle would be so much cheaper.

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 20, 2019, 06:23:48 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 19, 2019, 11:45:57 PMThe Advisors job is to advise. If the advisors have given poor recruitment advice, then they should be blamed.

Who advises the advisors, if the man needs advisors, maybe then he is not fit for purpose.
Sack the lot of them, TK first, as he is the costliest mistake, and you should never give a sucker an even break. Think of the wage bill that would be saved, as well as the reducing the number of loan players, and the amount of injured players signed during last minute panics, and the number of players from overseas that take half a decade to settle because they are homesick.

If we sack TK, his advisors, and his advisors advisors, we have a big problem. How does FFC select a new "Director of Football"? Normally, the CEO "AM" would lead the search and the selection would be done in collobration with the owner Shadid Khan "SK".

The kind of person AM and SK will be looking for as DOF is "someone that knows football in great detail", obviously both of them would would probably turn to someone like "Tony Khan" that knows about football more than them to help them with the selection.

So, the two alternative paths are i) "Tony Khan" selects the new Advisors or ii) "Tony Khan" selects the new Director of Football. Is there seriously any difference between the two paths?

If TK knows what he was doing, the current players should come good. If TK doesn't know what he's doing, then trading players results in good players leaving and rubbish players coming in.

My suggestion is TK should just work out how keep all the players we have with parchate paymennts for the next two years and if any money left over buy proven Championship players or lower leagues "PFA team of the Year" players in any positions the coach wants. If the DOF needs any money, then he can sell Ryan Sessegnon on condition he is loaned back to FFC for at least the first season.

filham

Quote from: ALG01 on February 19, 2019, 08:17:38 PM
Roy is a Palace fan.
I do not see him ever coming back to us.
I guess you are right but you didn't have to say so quite so quickly and spoil a dream.

toshes mate

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 19, 2019, 07:26:29 PM
It could work and his knowledge and experience could not be questioned by whatever committee process we run things by these days but it's unlikely. He has a project on the go at the moment with a no nonsense chairman, a half decent No.2 and mid table security within reach over the next couple of seasons. He is a Palace fan to boot is'nt he ?
I wonder if there is a younger version of Roy hiding out somewhere on the continent? I think we need a fresh look at what we do and how we go about doing it but the personnel choices will need to be spot on and 'in it' for the long haul, in this case about five years I would suggest.
A very sensible post from you, ScalleysDad.  I do believe stability is something the Khans have not tried over the longer term at any level other than in the upper echelons where it has suited them not to invite change.  We need a solid regime where people feel they belong, are included in, and thrive through the idea of a whole team ethic.  Such a policy requires a good chief, leaders and followers who all know what the music is and how it needs to be sung.  It cannot be beyond the bounds of possibility that articulate, knowledgeable, gifted, and well connected and well respected 'younger' versions of Roy Hodgson (and Ray Lewington) exist.  Finding them and recruiting them is another thing altogether.   

ron

Quote from: spikey norman on February 19, 2019, 07:23:02 PM
Why part time job?
Surely full time and with no interference and with Ray Lew as manager.
Can see this working.

Definitely.

Not with anyone else but Lew though, because introducing extra levels of management such as DoFs can cause conflict between big egos. Roy and Lew are a great fit together.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 20, 2019, 07:25:00 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 20, 2019, 06:23:48 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 19, 2019, 11:45:57 PMThe Advisors job is to advise. If the advisors have given poor recruitment advice, then they should be blamed.

If we sack TK, his advisors, and his advisors advisors, we have a big problem. How does FFC select a new "Director of Football"? Normally, the CEO "AM" would lead the search and the selection would be done in collobration with the owner Shadid Khan "SK".

The kind of person AM and SK will be looking for as DOF is "someone that knows football in great detail", obviously both of them would would probably turn to someone like "Tony Khan" that knows about football more than them to help them with the selection.

So, the two alternative paths are i) "Tony Khan" selects the new Advisors or ii) "Tony Khan" selects the new Director of Football. Is there seriously any difference between the two paths?

If TK knows what he was doing, the current players should come good. If TK doesn't know what he's doing, then trading players results in good players leaving and rubbish players coming in.

My suggestion is TK should just work out how keep all the players we have with parchate paymennts for the next two years and if any money left over buy proven Championship players or lower leagues "PFA team of the Year" players in any positions the coach wants. If the DOF needs any money, then he can sell Ryan Sessegnon on condition he is loaned back to FFC for at least the first season.

Well even a recluse living in a cave on Mars with his eyes shut and his fingers in his ears will deduce and identify that TK does not know the difference between a football and a snowball.
To help you understand how a simple football match works.
If you can equate a persistent boil under your armpit being lanced, and the feeling of relief and good well being that produces.
Whereupon you can continue once again lifting that large pint of beer using that same arm.
Very much in the same way as removing T K from his Crack Elite Recruitment Combat Unit.
Just like the boil, the problem is solved.
Because he is the common denominator for the initial carnage, followed by a pantomime and it appears finalising into a circus our current season is turning out to be.
It should have been avoidable, as Oliver Hardy once remarked to his colleague and associate Stan Laurel, " that's another fine mess you have got us into."

Never forget your Roots.

Mullers OG

It's a wonderful fantasy.  Sadly I can't see it happening.

I remember MAF whenever a new manager was being looked for appointed Ray Lewington as caretaker.  There's the man we need.  The time will come when Hodgson considers retirement; Lewington will then be looking for a job.  A man who knows Fulham through and through and who is vastly experienced in British football would unite the fans behind him as we recover from this year's disaster. 

Ray Lew for manager!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mullers OG on February 20, 2019, 12:12:13 PM
It's a wonderful fantasy.  Sadly I can't see it happening.

I remember MAF whenever a new manager was being looked for appointed Ray Lewington as caretaker.  There's the man we need.  The time will come when Hodgson considers retirement; Lewington will then be looking for a job.  A man who knows Fulham through and through and who is vastly experienced in British football would unite the fans behind him as we recover from this year's disaster. 

Ray Lew for manager!

He'll always gave 100% for Fulham as a player, captain and acting coach.  049:gif