more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (20/02/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 20, 2019, 07:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tottenham and Bayern keeping tabs on Mitrovic

Tottenham and Bayern Munich are being linked with surprise moves to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic from Fulham in the summer.

According to a report from TEAMtalk, the Premier League side failed with a late £27 million bid to sign the striker during the January transfer window.

Tottenham are keen to add to their options in the final third with Harry Kane sidelined, but Fulham were reluctant to sell.

Mitrovic has been a key figure at Craven Cottage since making the move to London.

Bayern Munich are also said to be watching from afar, with both clubs likely to readdress the situation in the summer if Fulham are relegated to the Championship.

Like Tottenham, Bayern themselves are short of options up front after letting Sandro Wagner leave for the Chinese Super League.

Mitrovic is one of a number of players that would undoubtedly need to be moved on if the club drop down to the second tier and the Serbian is unlikely to be short of admirers.

https://readbundesliga.com/2019/02/19/tottenham-and-bayern-keeping-tabs-on-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Manuel Lanzini expected to return on Friday

West Ham United will still have their eyes set on challenging for a European spot in the current campaign, with a positive run of results helping them get back into the race.

The Hammers arguably find themselves short on quality in the final third, with the likes of Andy Carroll, Javier Hernandez and Marko Arnautovic struggling to hit the heights in recent times.

However, the London club received a huge boost recently, as according to football.london, Manuel Lanzini is expected to return this Friday.

Indeed, the Argentinian is yet to feature this season after suffering a ruptured anterior knee ligament injury in training while on international duty back in the summer.

However, it appears as if the attacking midfielder is set to return on Friday, with the Hammers taking on London rivals Fulham at the London Stadium.

This comes as a huge boost for the Hammers as they've missed his creative spark and attacking ability in the current campaign, so they'll be delighted to have him back and he'll be sure to have a positive impact from here on in.

THE VERDICT:
Manuel Lanzini was one of the most impressive attacking midfielders in the Premier League prior to suffering his injury back in the summer, so he'll be desperate to hit the ground running.

Indeed, the Hammers' attack will automatically go up a level once the South American returns to proceedings as he has the ability to score goals and can boost creativity levels.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/duvan-zapata-has-been-made-available/

WhiteJC

Come on you Irons give us that 'double'

Fulham on Friday and another opportunity to record our first 'double' of the season.

We missed out at Selhurst Park when squandering  a 1-0 half time lead  so hopefully we can get across the line this time after the 2-0 win at Craven Cottage last December.

Expectation levels will be high with Fulham are languishing one place off the bottom of the Premier League, having conceded 58 goals in the campaign so far, the worst goals against record in the top league whilst managing just two points on their travels all season.

We will obviously be looking for a performance to match our last game at the LS when we matched Liverpool all over the park when but for  a scandalously 'offside' goal we would have taken all three points that night.

Friday needs to be approached with the same intensity, and Fulham afforded the same respect. Too often, as we all know, the opposition have been underestimated – and results haven't gone the way they should have.

The enforced break has been frustrating  sSo Friday can't come quickly enough, especially as a couple of our big-name absentees could be in line for action.

Word is Manuel Lanzini and Fabian Balbuena will be available to at least play some part in the evening's proceedings – if required. Will we see them from the start? I think that's unlikely.

I believe Manuel Pellegrini is more likely to stick with the basis of the teams he put out against Palace and Liverpool, the possible exception being Arnautovic starting up top this time.

We know Arnie loves a stage and an audience. It could be a full house under lights will provide him with exactly the platform on which he loves to perform.

I also think Ryan Fredericks will again be given the nod to face his old side, which would leave Pablo Zabaleta available to make an appearance against his old club Manchester City the following Wednesday.

My starting eleven for Fulham would be: Fabianski, Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell, Snodgrass, Rice, Noble, Anderson, Antonio and Anautovic.

That leaves us an impressive looking bench of: Adrian, Zabaleta, Balbuena, Lanzini, Diangana, Hernandez and Masuaku.  How long is it since we looked that strong? Happy days!

https://www.claretandhugh.info/come-on-you-irons-give-us-that-double/

WhiteJC

Ogbonna must make good on last chance at Fulham

West Ham have been without Fabian Balbuena for some time now following a knee injury, but the Hammers could have the defender back for their clash with Fulham on Friday night.

According to Football.London, the Paraguayan international could make his return at the London Stadium in the Premier League match, and that could spell bad news for Angelo Ogbonna.

The Italian has been deputising alongside Issa Diop in the heart of defence, and has looked like an altogether less reliable option.

The Hammers have endured a torrid run of form lately, and while that is not entirely the fault of Ogbonna, it is no coincidence that the side's defence has looked a lot more penetrable since he was brought into the side.

As such, Fulham could prove to be the last chance saloon for the 30-year-old.

Manuel Pellegrini is a pragmatic manager with a level head, and it's not unfair to assume that a decent performance from Ogbonna could persuade him to give him another shot at the back, but given how successful the Diop Balbuena partnership was prior to the latter's injury, it's probably fair to suggest that the Paraguayan is a shoe in for a return to the side when he is deemed 100% ready to start.

And if he got back in, it's difficult to see how he could be ousted again.

Ogbonna has been a loyal servant to the club for some time now, but there's no getting away from the fact that he is operating on borrowed time.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/02/blogs/ogbonna-must-make-good-on-last-chance-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Tottenham must sign Mitrovic at the end of the season

According to TEAMtalk, Tottenham Hotspur failed with a £27m move for Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic in the January transfer window.

What's the word, then?

With Fernando Llorente's future up in the air, it seemed likely that Tottenham would sign a new striker in the winter window to act as back-up to Harry Kane.

Kane's ankle injury meant that Llorente stayed, however, and the Spaniard has seen a lot of football in the England captain's absence.

According to TEAMtalk, Spurs actually made a £27m bid for Mitrovic last month, with the capital outfit determined to sign the former Newcastle United forward.

Fulham ultimately rejected the offer, but it has been reported that Tottenham could return for the powerful attacker in this summer's transfer window.

Indeed, with Llorente likely to move on at the end of the season, Mitrovic could be signed to act as back-up or indeed to play with Kane in the final third of the field.

Should Tottenham move for Mitrovic?

In short, yes. Tottenham's results in the absence of Kane have been impressive, but they really need to sign a new forward at the end of the season.

Mitrovic has been outstanding in a struggling Fulham team this term, finding the back of the net on 10 occasions in the Premier League.

The 24-year-old is big and strong, whilst his understanding of the game and ability to bring in teammates has been impressive this season.

It was a surprise when Newcastle allowed Mitrovic to leave, especially considering his excellent form in the second half of last season whilst on loan at Fulham.

Mitrovic will certainly depart Craven Cottage if Fulham are relegated, although it seems likely that he would move on even if they remained in the top flight.

The striker, who will not turn 25 until the latter stages of this year, would be the perfect summer signing for Tottenham.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/tottenham/tottenham-must-sign-mitrovic-at-the-end-of-the-season

WhiteJC

Fredericks eager to start against old club Fulham

Ryan Fredericks is desperate to keep his place in the West Ham United team for Friday's Premier League derby with Fulham at London Stadium.

The defender spent the previous three seasons with the Whites, making 114 appearances, the last of which came in the west London club's Championship Play-Off final win over Aston Villa at Wembley last May.

Since winning promotion, Fulham have struggled, winning just four of their first 26 Premier League matches, while Fredericks himself has recovered from injury to take his place in Manuel Pellegrini's starting XI for the recent draws with Liverpool and Crystal Palace.

And while the flying full-back would love to see his old club stay in the top flight, the West Ham's No24 insists he will have no room for sentiment in his heart or in his head come 7.45pm on Friday.

Obviously, it's not going too well for them at the moment, but I've changed teams now and my loyalties are firmly with West Ham

Ryan Fredericks

"Of course, I'd love to start on Friday night as I've got a lot of good memories and a lot of good friends from my time at Fulham," he confirmed. "Obviously, it's not going too well for them at the moment, but I've changed teams now and my loyalties are firmly with West Ham.

"It would be great if they could get out of trouble, but I've got more important things to worry about for myself than my old club."

A win for Fredericks and West Ham on Friday would see Pellegrini's side rise above Everton into ninth and close the gap on Wolverhampton Wanderers and Watford above them to three points and one point respectively.

Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/february/19-february/fredericks-eager-start-against-old-club-fulham#3XiJbI0bzqixu27M.99

WhiteJC

Fulham youngster Ben Davis facing prison time over missed military service

The youngster faces prison time or a fine for missing military service in Singapore

Fulham player Ben Davis has missed mandatory military service in Singapore and has been threatened with time in prison by the country's Ministry of Defence.

National service either in the military, police or civil defence force is mandatory for all men over the age of 18 in the country, with those who miss it facing the threat or either jail time, a fine, or both.

"Mr Benjamin Davis is a national service defaulter," a Ministry of Defence spokesperson said.

"He failed to report for national service as required. He is also staying overseas without a valid Exit Permit."

Davis signed for Fulham in the summer, becoming the first Singapore international to sign for a Premier League club in the process, but was denied deferment of his service by the Singaporean government.
Ad
Recommendations powered by plista

He currently faces a fine of £5,700, instead of or as well as a prison term of four months if he misses the service for two years.

Should he avoid military service for a period of time between 17 and 23 years, the potential prison sentence would rise to three years.

The matter of military service was a concern recently for Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min, who would have missed 21 months of his career had South Korea not beaten Japan in the final of the Asian Games last year.

Unfortunately for Davis, such exemptions are not common in Singapore, where exemptions are only given to "those who represent Singapore in international competitions like the Olympic Games and are potential medal winners for Singapore".

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/fulham-ben-davis-singapore-military-220276

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 22/02
We get an early start to our weekend visiting the London Stadium to give West Ham a game on Friday evening.
It'll be interesting to see if either of the last-day signings are fit enough to get a game? Also I'd like to see both Ryan and Tom start, they were so important to us last season and, in my opinion, should be playing week in week out, I can't understand why they haven't been.
West Ham are having an OK(ish) season, they started badly but have been steadily improving over recent weeks, so it won't be an easy game for us however, this and the Southampton game next week, we need to get maximum points if we want any, however faint, hope of avoiding relegation.

Games of Interest...
Friday 22nd

Cardiff v Watford
West Ham v Fulham

Saturday 23rd
Burnley v Spurs
Newcastle v Huddersfield

Sunday 23rd
Arsenal v Southampton

come on over to the forum and join in the conversation...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=600

WhiteJC

Tottenham's reported January bid for Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic was laughable

According to a report from Graeme Bailey in Teamtalk, Tottenham Hotspur attempted to sign Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic in January.

The article claims Spurs offered £27 million to purchase Serbian — exactly the same fee Fulham paid in the summer for Mitrovic (factoring in add-ons), revealing the failed transfer was laughable.

Bailey writes that Spurs "were willing to give Fulham their money back on Mitrovic," a baffling proposition considering the current market and given the forward's blistering form.

With ten goals and two assists to his name in the Premier League this season, Mitrovic is one of the most dangerous attackers in England at the moment.

Added to that impressive stat line is the fact that the striker has been prolific for the division's second-worst side, and one must surely evaluate Mitrovic at a far higher price than £27 million.

The level of disrespect and ineptitude illustrated by Tottenham's reported bid is indicative of a larger transfer dysfunction at the club.

If a club is truly serious about signing the tremendous talent of Aleksandar Mitrovic, then one must spend a substantial amount of money — not just offering exactly what Fulham paid for the forward just seven months ago.

Tottenham Hotspur had the right idea to strive to sign the imposing striker, but the bid fell severely short of what was required — an insulting offer to Fulham that resulted in failure.

https://tbrfootball.com/tottenhams-reported-january-bid-for-fulhams-aleksandar-mitrovic-was-laughable/

WhiteJC

Fulham will slash wage bill if they are relegated from the Premier League

Some of Fulham's players will have their wages cut if the club drop out of the Premier League.

Relegation clauses were put in the contracts of various players and with the team eight points adrift of 17th placed Cardiff, many salaries will automatically be reduced if the west London side are relegated.

The Cottagers spent more than £100million last summer and signings like Jean Michael Seri and Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa raised the wage bill significantly.

Fulham also have a number of players on short-term or loan deals that end this summer. They will leave straight away should they go down.

January signings Ryan Babel and Lazar Markovic were brought in on contracts that expire in the summer.

Andre Schurrle was brought in last summer on a two-year loan deal but it is unlikely to the German World Cup winner would stay to play in the Championship.

Meanwhile, Fulham's £100m redevelopment of the Riverside Stand at Craven Cottage will go ahead as planned even if they are relegated. Work on the new stand is scheduled to start at the end of this season.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-will-slash-wage-bill-if-they-are-relegated-from-the-premier-league-a4070886.html

WhiteJC

'West Brom really wanted me' Loanee discusses his long-term future as QPR await

Stefan Johansen is expected to be recalled for West Bromwich Albion this evening as the Baggies head to West London.

Eager to nurse him through a critical period, head coach Darren Moore is strongly expected to rest Gareth Barry at Queens Park Rangers after a domineering performance at former club Aston Villa last weekend.

The veteran midfielder, who turns 38 this Saturday, will likely drop to the bench and Johansen is the strong candidate to replace him, ahead of Sam Field.

The Norwegian, who played only 12 league matches for Fulham in the first half of the season, was permitted a move and headed to The Hawthorns on deadline day.

He impressed on his debut at Stoke, and came on as a late sub in the win over Villa.

Here we take a look at what's been said about his displays to date, and what the future might hold.

WHAT THE FANS SAY

Grant : I'd go with a midfield three of Field, Harper and Johansen tonight. I'm not sure Livermore's done enough since his return to justify starting at the base of the three

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-really-wanted-me-15853734

WhiteJC

Great If Fulham Stay Up But I've More Important Things To Worry About – West Ham Star

West Ham United defender Ryan Fredericks has insisted his loyalties are now firmly with the Hammers ahead of their Premier League clash against his former club Fulham on Friday.

Fredericks, who spent three seasons at Craven Cottage, played an instrumental role in Fulham securing promotion from the Championship at the end of last season.

However, the full-back opted to join rivals West Ham on a free transfer last summer and shifted his allegiances to the London Stadium, despite making 114 appearances for the Cottagers.

Despite enjoying severely limited involvement due to injuries this term, Fredericks has started in each of West Ham's last two outings and could make a third straight appearance against his former club on Friday.

And ahead of the Hammers' derby clash with Fulham, Fredericks has told his former club that his loyalties are now firmly with the east London club.

The 26-year-old also admitted he has plenty of good memories and friends from his time at Fulham and added that it would be great if they could avoid relegation at the end of the season.

"Of course, I'd love to start on Friday night as I've got a lot of good memories and a lot of good friends from my time at Fulham", Fredericks told the club's official website.

"Obviously, it's not going too well for them at the moment, but I've changed teams now and my loyalties are firmly with West Ham.

"It would be great if they could get out of trouble, but I've got more important things to worry about for myself than my old club."

Fredericks, who is a product of the academy at Tottenham Hotspur, has been restricted to just six appearances in the Premier League this term.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2019/02/19/great-if-fulham-stay-up-but-ive-more-important-things-to-worry-about-west-ham-star/410499/