https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (22/02/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 22, 2019, 07:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sergio Rico wants to return to Premier League next season
Rico set to play for Fulham in Sky Live clash at West Ham on Friday night

Goalkeeper Sergio Rico says he has enjoyed his time at Fulham and would like to play in the Premier League again next season.

Rico, who signed for the London club on a season-long loan from Sevilla last summer, has made 17 appearances so far this season for the Cottagers, keeping three clean sheets.

The Spain international has been at Sevilla since his youth career, winning the Europa League twice, but a return to England - and hopefully the Premier League - is something he is seriously considering.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, the 25-year-old said: "I have to come back to Seville but I would like to come here [England] next season because I am very happy here.

"I like the Premier League and I enjoy it a lot here in London, I am so happy. I don't know the future now but I would like to come here again."

Fulham currently sit 19th in the Premier League table and are set to face West Ham on Friday evening at the London Stadium, live on Sky Sports.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11643396/sergio-rico-wants-to-return-to-premier-league-next-season

WhiteJC

Next at Home: Chelsea

Secure your seats for next week's West London derby as Fulham face Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday 3rd March, kick-off 2:05pm.

Season Ticket Holders, Members and supporters with a Booking History can all purchase up to two tickets each, priced from £30 adults & £20 juniors.

Tickets can be purchased online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (opt. 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Matchday Hospitality
Why not enjoy the SW6 derby in style, with Matchday Hospitality at the historic Fulham Palace, just a short walk from Craven Cottage, available from £199 (+VAT) per person.

Home to the Bishop of London since 704, enjoy a drinks reception on arrival, as well as a delicious two-course meal alongside inclusive beers, wines and soft drinks, before making the short trip to the Cottage to watch the action unfold.

Book your place today online, by calling our hospitality team on 020 8336 7555 or by emailing [email protected]

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/21/next-at-home-chelsea

WhiteJC

Manuel Pellegrini could try exciting playmaker experiment with Samir Nasri and Manuel Lanzini against Fulham

West Ham United boss Manuel Pellegrini could try an exciting experiment against Fulham on Friday night.

The Hammers take on the cottagers at the London Stadium in the opening game of the weekend as the Premier League resumes.

West Ham have not won for five games but have earned respectable draws in their last two games against Crystal Palace and Liverpool.

Hammers could go three points off seventh

That leaves the East Londoners in 10th place knowing they could move up to ninth and just three points off seventh with a victory.

Manuel Pellegrini has been nursing a league-worst injury list.

But things look to be improving ahead of the visit of the lowly Cottagers.

West Ham will be boosted by the return of key players from long-term injury for the game.

Manuel Lanzini, Samir Nasri and Fabian Balbuena look set to come back into the squad.

Pellegrini's playmaker problems

The Chilean tactician has long bemoaned the glut of injuries affecting his playmakers.

Lanzini has missed the entire season so far while Andriy Yarmolenko was injured for the season. Jack Wilshere has missed most of the campaign and could be out for the remainder too.

It is exciting times for Pellegrini and Hammers fans having Lanzini and Nasri back.

Neither can manage a full 90 minutes of Premier League action just yet.

Exciting experiment on the cards?

So Pellegrini could experiment by giving each playmaker 45 minutes or as near as damn it.

Having been involved recently before a calf injury, Nasri will likely start the game.

Pellegrini can then introduce Lanzini for the second half, whether that is at half-time or on the hour.

That will be a daunting prospect for the Premier League's worst ever defence.

And it seems a sound plan for the rest of the season so as not to over burden Lanzini and bring him back slowly but surely to his best.

Nasri will also get the game time to continue to prove he has what it takes to earn an expected one-year contract for next term.

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/manuel-pellegrini-could-try-exciting-playmaker-experiment-with-samir-nasri-and-manuel-lanzini-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

In-Focus: Reading U23s

Fulham Under-23s' PL Cup Group campaign will come to a close on Friday as Reading make the short journey to Motspur Park.

Reading go into the game on the back of two league defeats against lowly Sunderland and Newcastle as they slip to third in the table.

The Young Whites will be hoping to bounce back and qualify for the last 16 of the tournament after losing narrowly 2-1 to Southampton last week.

The Current Picture:

Group G is finely poised with the top two teams from each group advancing. Reading have already qualified as Fulham battle it out with Birmingham Under-23s for the final qualification spot.

We sit on nine points ahead of the visit of The Royals and should we draw, barring an emphatic eight goal win by Birmingham against Colchester Under-23s, we will advance. Alternatively, the Birmingham result is meaningless should we pick up all three points.

Last Time Out:

Upon travelling to Reading twice in a week in league and cup, Nicolas Santos-Clase's goal couldn't salvage a point from the Cup game. Adrian Popa and Conor Lawless struck within two minutes of each other to make Santos-Clase's clever finish merely a consolation.

View From the Gaffer:

Mark Pembridge is viewing the game as a good chance to focus his side's attention away from the league, with the possibility of a Cup run in sight.

"Progressing in the Cup will keep the season alive, this is something different to go for and it will be good to see how the boys react." He told fulhamfc.com.

"We started well against Southampton but we couldn't get to grips with their system. They scored a good goal and a lucky goal. Once we got the ball into those wide areas we got more joy, but we were chasing the game. We did get the goal but it was ten minutes too late. We could have had a chance to grab an equaliser if that was the case."

"We've played Reading a couple of times this season. We were unlucky last time out. We deserved something last time but it's obviously a game we need to get something from to go through.

"Their results won't differ from what they do or how hard they work. This will be difficult, but one we are looking forward to. There aren't many games this season where we are saying 'we were well beaten' – maybe only twice this season. Friday's game being one, and Newcastle away being the other."

The Boss also gave an update on a couple of injuries sustained in the last couple of weeks, and those on the fringes – including Cameron Thompson and Tayo Edun.

"Tommo got injured against Colchester and it was a bad hamstring pull, he will be out for a while. When you lose players on loan that will score 20 over the season then it hinders you somewhat. There was no coincidence when the boys came back off loan we got some positive results.

"Tayo hasn't played for a while. He played more time than we would have wanted at Colchester. He has a thigh strain at the moment so it's about managing him back in."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/21/u23s-preview

WhiteJC

Hammers line-up looks set for Fulham

Manuel Pellegrini is never an easy boss to read when it comes to team selection but with playmakers on the way back we are likely to see a Hammers team more in his image than previously this season.

However, tomorrow night we will probably see the team that started the Palace game – with the exception of Arnautovic for Chicharito – lining up against Fulham.

Both Lanzini and Nasri are set for the bench with insiders telling CandH this morning that Lanzini has been in seriously competitive form on the training ground.

One of our senior sources told us by telephone:"He genuinely looks like the Lanzini we know. There's been no holding back and is probably ready to give 20 minutes should the game demand it.

"Not a single chance will be taken and the scans are showing perfect healing – it's exciting times for him and the fans after he suffered such a devastating injury. "

Nasri is also ready to get involved again but is also likely to be on the bench as a possible replacement for Noble with Lanzini coming on for Snodgrass should he be required.

Fabian Balbuena is close to a return but Ogbonna looks set to partner Issa Diop from the start against Fulham."

Likely starting x1: Fabianski, Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Rice, Noble, Snodgrass Anderson, Antonio, Arnautovic

https://www.claretandhugh.info/hammers-line-up-looks-set-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Chambers feels midfield experience at Fulham can help him at Arsenal

Calum Chambers has been playing in midfield for Fulham but hopes that experience can help him improve as a central defender.

(BEN STANSALL/AFP/Getty Images)

Calum Chambers is a centre-half by trade but has spent his loan spell at relegation-battlers Fulham as a holding midfielder.

And while playing out of position in a struggling side may not have been the season Chambers envisaged when he moved across to West London, he feels it will help his longer term development.

He told Sky Sports: ""When I do drop back to centre-half it is only going to help me on the ball. I now know what a midfielder would want from me as a centre-half, when you want the ball and when you might not want the ball.

"I can take all of these things back with me when I do move back to centre-half. It is going to be beneficial as these are all things I will add to my game."

It has become clear from Unai Emery's initial period at Arsenal that he is still in need of defensive improvements.

Laurent Koscielny has battled back manfully but age is taking its toll and the injury to Rob Holding was a hammer blow. But just as Holding was developing so well under Emery, Chambers will hope to do the same next season.

And Arsenal are in need of a dependable, ball-playing centre-half of the right age and Chambers can be that man, perhaps with Holding alongside him.

https://tbrfootball.com/chambers-feels-midfield-experience-at-fulham-can-help-him-at-arsenal/

WhiteJC

Before The Whistle: West Ham vs Fulham preview

After a weekend break from Football, the Whites are back in Premier League action on Friday. A short trip East to Stratford awaits for a matchup against the mid-table Hammers, and George Singer is here as ever to give you the lowdown!

Before we get to the game, I have a bit of a rant to make.

With 12 games to go, and at least 7 points to make up on our rivals, things are looking desperate right now at the Cottage. The side is devout of confidence, rifts of discontent are forming in the ranks, and our natural creativity is being stifled by a stubborn negative manager. Something clearly needs to change, and fast, if we want to stop this spiral taking us back down to the Championship – however I fear it's already too late.

If I were in the Khan's shoes, I would have utilized this 2 week break to make this change. I struggle to see any value in continuing Claudio's employment; he's going to take us down to the Championship, and neither party would expect him to stay in the second tier of English football. As I mentioned on the podcast a couple of weeks ago, I would love us to find a young, compliant manager who wants to play football the right way. If Ranieri is just a stopgap until we find the right man, then fine. But, the faster we get someone in, the more time they will have to learn the squad and make informed decisions in the next transfer window.

This break, however, is now over, and the Italian is still in charge – and it doesn't look like he's going anywhere. Therefore, to me it feels like damage limitation becomes the priority. Irregardless of the league we're in, our facilities and location will always make us an attractive location for players to come to. Within the squad right now, we have exciting talent who could realistically stay and excel for at least one year in the second tier. However, they are currently rotting on the bench, and losing their passion for the club. TC, Sess, and Anguissa surely need to start getting more minutes. If we invest time in them now, they're more likely to stay. If we keep benching them, they'll push to move in the summer.

Right, rant over. On to the game.

Our opponents
West Ham's current side reminds me of how we set up under Martin Jol in 2012. In those days, Murphy would hold the fort in the 6 role, with an attacking midfield setup of Duff, Diarra, Ruiz and Dempsey feeding the Pog. West Ham have managed to employ a similar system, with now-English Declan Rice playing the mature lynch-pin role in central midfield. Combine this plethora of attacking talent, with a strong set piece plan, and you have an opponent with serious attacking threat.

Unsurprisingly, considering his considerable pedigree, Pellegrini has managed to blend these attacking players into a defensive system able to keep key opposition men out of the game. Whilst no side averages less pressing actions per 90 minutes than West Ham, Pellegrini positions his men to passively cut out passing lanes to starve opposition playmakers and force them away from West Ham's goal. Their impressive draw against Liverpool was a perfect example of this – where they impressively kept Liverpool's attacking players relatively quiet for 90 minutes.

Between the sticks sits Lucasz Fabianski – potentially the most underrated player in the Premier League. According to advanced metrics, he's conceded over 6 goals fewer than the average Premier League keeper would, from the shots he has faced.

There's no doubt that this is going to be a difficult game for us. We're yet to win away from the Cottage, and there's little to suggest that this record will be broken on Friday. Therefore, I can only predict a West Ham win, giving them the double over us this season.

Facts and stats

One to watch

Felipe Anderson – Since signing from Lazio in the Summer, the Brazilian has taken to the Premier League like a duck to water. Sometimes tricky wingers from South America can struggle to acclimatize, however with 9 goals and 3 assists so far this season the left winger has thrived under Pellegrini's leadership.

Fulham vs West Ham head to head

Earlier in the season, Fulham fell to a disappointing 2-0 loss at the Cottage to the Hammers. In previous Premier League matchups, the Whites have tended to struggle, with West Ham winning 12 of the 21 Premier League clashes. 4 have been draws.

West Ham's recent form

West Ham are in relatively poor form, and are without a win in their last 5 games. This includes losses against Bournemouth, Wolves, and most embarrassingly an FA cup exit against AFC Wimbledon.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-02-21-before-the-whistle-west-ham-vs-fulham-preview/

WhiteJC

Fulham challenged to spark great escape with win at West Ham

Claudio Ranieri has urged Fulham to take control of their destiny and start a great escape by beating West Ham.

Fulham are eight points from safety in the Premier League with 12 games remaining and they travel to the London Stadium tomorrow facing a tough battle to avoid relegation.

Ranieri said: "It is important for us to show our strength. The destiny is there. I want to see my players make their destiny with their own arms.

"We have to stay together and stay united to give something good to each other. I am confident with my players. It is a big challenge. But I won this challenge twice, once with Cagliari and once with Parma. I hope this will be the third challenge I win."

Ranieri has said Ryan Sessegnon could return to the Fulham side against West Ham after starting the last four matches on the bench.

Ranieri said: "He had a fantastic season last season in the Championship, started very well and then it is normal for an 18-year-old with the mentality, the stress, everything. Now I saw him getting better and he has the chance to play. We need some young players who have a new mentality to change our way."

New signings Lazar Markovic and Havard Nordtveit could be involved against West Ham but are unlikely to start. Alfie Mawson has started running as he steps up his rehabilitation from a knee injury.

Ranieri said: "Mawson is starting to run and the others are all OK.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-challenged-to-spark-great-escape-with-win-at-west-ham-a4073096.html

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri backs Ryan Sessegnon to inspire Fulham turnaround
Fulham travel to the London Stadium to face West Ham live on Sky Sports Premier League from 7pm on Friday Night Football

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri believes a rejuvenated Ryan Sessegnon could play a crucial role in the club's battle to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

The 18-year-old played a starring role as Fulham were promoted from the Sky Bet Championship last season, but has fallen out of the starting line-up since Ranieri replaced Slavisa Jokanovic in November.

Fulham are facing an uphill task to avoid relegation as they sit eight points behind 17th-placed Cardiff with 12 games remaining and are set to return to action away to West Ham on Friday night, live on Sky Sports.

"It's normal, 18 years old, it's normal," Ranieri said.

"He had a fantastic last season in the Championship. He started very well and it's normal at 18 years old, to change the mentality, the stress, everything. Now I see him getting better and he has the chance to play.

"We need some young players who have a new mentality to change the way."

Having started Ranieri's first four games in charge, Sessegnon suffered a groin strain that caused him to miss two matches - including a 2-0 defeat to West Ham at Craven Cottage - and has only started one of eight Premier League fixtures since.

Fulham have picked up just seven points during that stretch, leaving them 19th and in danger of being cut adrift from the relegation battle, with an abysmal defensive record playing a major part in their downfall.

The 58 league goals they have conceded amount to 10 more than bottom side Huddersfield, who have the next worst record, while only three teams in Premier League history have let in more goals at this stage of the season.

"To help the defensive line, it must be all the team. It's a team who have to defend together and attack together," Ranieri said.

"A lot of times, if you see the first match against West Ham, we played very well but they scored two goals on the counter-attack.

"It was amazing because we shot at goal so many times, but that is the sport, that is football."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11643767/claudio-ranieri-backs-ryan-sessegnon-to-inspire-fulham-turnaround

WhiteJC

Paul Merson makes grim Fulham prediction ahead of crucial clash with West Ham

Sky Sports pundit delivers his assessment on Fulham ahead of their London derby with West Ham

Fulham's clash with West Ham is a "must-win" game, according to Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson.

The Whites travel to face the Hammers in a crunch clash at the London Stadium tomorrow night (Friday), with Claudio Ranieri's side currently eight points from safety with 12 games to go in the Premier League season.

And with home games to come against Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City in the next few weeks, Merson says this is a pivotal time for Ranieri's men in their battle to avoid relegation, with the trip to West Ham followed by a midweek clash with fellow strugglers Southampton at St Mary's next Wednesday.

However, the former Arsenal and Aston Villa forward has delivered a damning assessment of Fulham's chances of being successful in the battle to avoid the drop.

"Fulham are in the must-win saloon but they are letting in goals for fun, and I don't see anything except a victory for West Ham," Merson said in his weekly predictions feature for the Sky Sports website.

"It's hard for Fulham to go somewhere and keep clean sheets and they also aren't the highest scoring team, so I don't see them getting anything here.

"I can't see Fulham surviving; defensively, they are not going to keep enough clean sheets. They are behind the eight-ball and the more they have to chase games, the more vulnerable they are going to be. I don't give them a chance."

Merson is predicting a 3-1 win for West Ham.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/merson-prediction-west-ham-fulham-15865188

WhiteJC

West Ham United v Fulham
FRI 22 Feb 2019   Premier League
Venue: London Stadium

Manuel Lanzini missed the 2018 World Cup after injuring his knee in training with Argentina

TEAM NEWS

Manuel Lanzini may make his first West Ham appearance since tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in June, and Samir Nasri is also back in contention.

Jack Wilshere remains sidelined but Marko Arnautovic, who came off the bench in the last game, could return to the starting line-up.

January signings Lazar Markovic and Havard Nordtveit are in contention to make their debuts for Fulham.

Both players were short of fitness when they joined the club two weeks ago.

Loanee Timothy Fosu-Mensah is once again available, having missed out against parent club Manchester United, so the injured Alfie Mawson is Fulham's only expected absentee.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: The Marko Arnautovic 'China syndrome' has derailed West Ham's progress. They haven't won in their last five league and cup games. He needs to refocus and would do well to emulate Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Week in, week out he has given everything for a struggling side. If Fulham go down - which seems probable - and Newcastle don't want the Serb striker back, the Hammers should go for him. Irons fans love battlers and distrust big egos.

They'd also love to see Manuel Lanzini back in the side. It would be a major boost for their flagging campaign.

I'll be saddened if Fulham go. But with just two away points and the worst defence in all of Europe's top divisions they need a miracle.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini: "I think Manuel Lanzini for every manager would be a player that makes a difference.

"Seeing Manuel working during the last two weeks, for me I am confident that he will return in a very good shape because he is not afraid."

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri: "We have to fight, every match is important in the fight for survival. It is difficult because they have very good players.

"They [West Ham] are safe and for us it is important to show our strength and I want to see my players make their destiny."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

West Ham won 2-0 away to Fulham in December and are hoping to complete a league double against the Cottagers for the time since the 2008-09 season.
    Fulham won their first Premier League game away to West Ham in 2001 but they are winless in nine subsequent league visits (D4, L5).

West Ham United

West Ham have claimed just one victory in their last seven Premier League games (D3, L3), having won five of their previous six.
    They have won nine league games already this season, one short of their final total last term.
    The Hammers have kept four Premier League clean sheets this season - only Fulham, with two, have a worse record.
    Felipe Anderson has failed to score in his last seven Premier League games, having netted seven times in nine appearances before that.
    Michail Antonio could make his 100th Premier League appearance, while Javier Hernandez is one short of 50 goals in the division.

Fulham

The only club to have avoided relegation after taking 17 points or fewer from their first 26 Premier League games is West Brom in 2004-05.
    Claudio Ranieri's side have lost five of their previous six games.
    Fulham have taken just two points from their last 15 away games in the Premier League (D2, L13), and are the only top-flight side without an away win this season.
    They have conceded a league-high 58 goals this season, 10 more than any other side.
    The Whites have lost their last eight London derbies, a new record in the top flight, and have taken one point from the last 36 available in such matches.
    This will be Fulham's first Premier League game played on a Friday since Boxing Day 2008, when they drew 0-0 at Tottenham.
    Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 40% of his team's Premier League goals this term - the highest figure for any player in the division.
    Mitrovic scored in Fulham's first two away league games this season but has failed to net in their subsequent 11 matches on the road. the road.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47248479

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri provides Alfie Mawson injury update

The defender has been out since injuring his knee against Huddersfield

Claudio Ranieri has said that Alfie Mawson has started running again following his latest knee injury.

The former Swansea defender suffered the injury in the Cottagers' win over Huddersfield Town at the end of 2018 when changing his boots at half time and required surgery to fix the problem.

The 25-year-old had started pool work earlier in February but now appears to have made some progress, while Ranieri noted otherwise Fulham have a clean bill of health.

Speaking ahead of his side's match with West Ham, the Italian said: "No news, all players in good condition. Just Mawson is starting to run and the others are ok.

"Only Mawson is out, he is getting better. He is starting his rehabilitation."

Mawson's absence has perhaps accentuated the Whites' defensive struggles with the club having conceded more goals than anyone else in the Premier League with 58.

Ranieri has taken heart from his side's last match against the Hammers however, and hopes to improve where they faulted in their 2-0 defeat in the reverse fixture.

He said: "I think to help the defensive line, it's the team who defend together and attack together.

"A lot of times, if you see the first match against West Ham, we played very well but they scored two goals on the counter-attack.

"It was amazing because we shot against the goal so many times, that's football and for us it's important."

Despite being winless in their last three matches the Hammers lie tenth on 33 points, 16 ahead of Fulham.

The ex-Leiceister City coach, who will come up against another Premier League title winner in Manuel Pellegrini and knows what a challenge Friday night's opponents will bring.

Ranieri said: "It's difficult because they have very good players. They are very calm, and they are safe. For us it's important to show our strength.

"The destiny is there and my players to make their destiny.

"They [West Ham] started with the difficulties because when changing the manager it's normal, and at the beginning they were playing all the big teams.

"When the matches were normal, they started to play well and win the matches, and we have to be very concentrated throughout the match."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-boss-claudio-ranieri-provides-15866038

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri takes heart from spirit in Fulham camp

The west Londoners are eight points from safety with 12 games left.

Claudio Ranieri insists his relegation-threatened Fulham players feel "alive" because their fate could be settled in the coming weeks.

The Cottagers face West Ham on Friday, where victory would give their survival hopes a boost ahead of important matches against fellow strugglers Southampton and local rivals Chelsea.

Ranieri believes Fulham are ready to give their unlikely bid for survival one final push, after almost two weeks out of action. They sit eight points from safety in 19th place and have only 12 league games left to play.

The Italian said: "Every time in the training session there is a very good atmosphere. They have given me a lot of confidence, because you see the players are alive. They want to do something more every match.

"I am confident with the support of our fans, we can (achieve) very good things.

"It's difficult because West Ham have very good players. They are very calm, and they are safe. For us it's important to show our strength.

"The destiny is there and my players (need) to make their destiny. We know it's a difficult moment for us but we must be positive.

"These three matches, West Ham, Southampton and Chelsea in very few days. We can say something more after these three."

The Italian has achieved survival when all has appeared lost in the past, notably at Parma in 2007, and that experience fuels his belief that Fulham can turn their season around.

His work at Parma prompted Juventus to appoint him at the end of that season, and the 67-year-old said: "It is a big challenge but twice I won this big challenge. Once with Cagliari and once with Parma. I hope this can be the third.

"The situations; we were at the bottom in February, (but) at the end we were safe. I hope also at Fulham I can do the same.

"Always I am confident, always I am positive. West Ham spent more than us because they are safe more or less and we are in a bad zone. (But) I am confident with my players because a lot are without experience for the Premier League and it is not an easy challenge for them."

Alfie Mawson is the only injury absentee for Fulham, and the competition for places means new signings Lazar Markovic and Havard Nordtveit are again unlikely to start.

http://sport.bt.com/news/claudio-ranieri-takes-heart-from-spirit-in-fulham-camp-S11364338216893

WhiteJC

Lawro's Carabao Cup and Premier League predictions

Manchester United could do neighbours Manchester City a huge favour when they host Liverpool at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Liverpool need at least a point to go back to the top of the Premier League on a day when City are playing Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final - but will they get it at Old Trafford against their bitter rivals?

BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson said: "A draw would be a good result for Liverpool, especially because of the way the mood has changed at United under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

"The atmosphere is different to the way it was under Jose Mourinho anyway, and you just know they are are going to ramp it up for this game."

West Ham v Fulham (19:45 GMT)

Manuel Lanzini could make his first appearance of the season for West Ham after a long injury lay-off and another creative player, Samir Nasri, has a chance of being fit too.

Fulham had a couple of good early chances in their last game, against Manchester United on 9 February, but ended up well beaten.

West Ham are inconsistent but, even if they have a bad day, it is hard to make much of a case for a Fulham side who are yet to win on the road in the league this season, and have the worst away record in the Premier League.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47320291

WhiteJC

'They have given me a lot of confidence': Claudio Ranieri taking heart from spirit in Fulham camp as they continue to fight for survival

Claudio Ranieri insists his relegation-threatened Fulham players feel 'alive'
    The Cottagers hope to give survival hopes a boost against West Ham on Friday
    The London club currently sit eight points adrift of safety in the Premier League
    Ranieri believes they're ready to give their unlikely bid for survival one final push

Claudio Ranieri insists his relegation-threatened Fulham players feel 'alive' because their fate could be settled in the coming weeks.

The Cottagers face West Ham on Friday, where victory would give their survival hopes a boost ahead of important matches against fellow strugglers Southampton and local rivals Chelsea.

Ranieri believes Fulham are ready to give their unlikely bid for survival one final push, after almost two weeks out of action. They sit eight points from safety in 19th place and have only 12 league games left to play.

Claudio Ranieri believes Fulham are ready to give their unlikely bid for survival one final push

The Italian said: 'Every time in the training session there is a very good atmosphere. They have given me a lot of confidence, because you see the players are alive. They want to do something more every match.

'I am confident with the support of our fans, we can (achieve) very good things.

'It's difficult because West Ham have very good players. They are very calm, and they are safe. For us it's important to show our strength.

'The destiny is there and my players (need) to make their destiny. We know it's a difficult moment for us but we must be positive.

'These three matches, West Ham, Southampton and Chelsea in very few days. We can say something more after these three.'

The Italian has achieved survival when all has appeared lost in the past, notably at Parma in 2007, and that experience fuels his belief that Fulham can turn their season around.

Ranieri insists that his Fulham players feel 'alive' because their fate could be settled soon

His work at Parma prompted Juventus to appoint him at the end of that season, and the 67-year-old said: 'It is a big challenge but twice I won this big challenge. Once with Cagliari and once with Parma. I hope this can be the third.

'The situations; we were at the bottom in February, (but) at the end we were safe. I hope also at Fulham I can do the same.

'Always I am confident, always I am positive. West Ham spent more than us because they are safe more or less and we are in a bad zone. (But) I am confident with my players because a lot are without experience for the Premier League and it is not an easy challenge for them.'

Alfie Mawson is the only injury absentee for Fulham, and the competition for places means new signings Lazar Markovic and Havard Nordtveit are again unlikely to start.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6730175/They-given-lot-confidence-Claudio-Ranieri-taking-heart-spirit-Fulham-camp.html

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri's comments will finally give confidence to Fulham talisman Ryan Sessegnon

Ever since Fulham's loss to Burnley in January, Ryan Sessegnon has been dropped to the bench for the following Premier League matches.

As the Whites have slipped further and further out of touch of safety during that spell, many have criticized the absence of Fulham's talisman in the starting lineup.

Luckily for Fulham, Claudio Ranieri's recent comments will instill much-needed confidence in the 18-year-old ahead of the vital match against West Ham United tomorrow.

In comments reported by Sky Sports, Ranieri said Sessegnon could provide the spark needed to revitalise Fulham's survival charge.

"Now I see him getting better and he has the chance to play," Ranieri said. "We need some young players who have a new mentality to change the way."

The reversal of Ranieri's previous stance towards Sessegnon is excellent news for the Whites, as benching one of Fulham's brightest stars and fan favourites has harmed both the team and the manager's popularity.

Although Sessegnon has struggled at times to adapt to the top flight, there is no doubting his tremendous abilities, and he possesses the spark to win a match with his ingenuity.

Fulham fans will be delighted at the prospect of Ranieri trusting Ryan Sessegnon and potentially starting the phenom from the off against West Ham on Friday.

https://tbrfootball.com/claudio-ranieris-comments-will-finally-give-confidence-to-fulham-talisman-ryan-sessegnon/

WhiteJC

Liverpool reject Lazar Markovic has perfect chance to save his career at Fulham

When Lazar Markovic signed for Fulham on deadline day this January, Liverpool supporters breathed a sigh of relief and rejoiced that the winger was finally off their books.

The Anfield reject has the perfect chance to save his floundering career at Fulham, where he will link up with countryman and friend Aleksandar Mitrovic in attack.

Markovic joined Liverpool in 2014, yet failed to cement himself on Merseyside and experienced countless unproductive loan spells from 2015 onwards.

A permanent switch finally presented itself last month, and although it feels as if the winger has been around forever, Markovic is still just 24 years of age.

In Fulham's announcement of the transfer, the club prominently featured the fact that Mitrovic praised and recommended signing Markovic.

The statement drew ridicule at the time, but a symbiotic relationship between the new acquisition and Fulham's best player is an enticing prospect for the Whites.

With Fulham needing a miracle to stay in the Premier League, the insertion of Lazar Markovic's pace and ingenuity out wide could inject an attacking drive into Claudio Ranieri's beleaguered side.

And with Markovic moving on from his Liverpool nightmare, Craven Cottage might provide the change of setting that the 24-year-old needs to save his career.

https://tbrfootball.com/liverpool-reject-lazar-markovic-has-perfect-chance-to-save-his-career-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Former Hammer could make Fulham debut

Former Hammer Havard Nordtveit could make his debut for Fulham tomorrow against his former team.

Nordtveit signed for the Hammers in July 2016 on a free transfer from Borussia Mönchengladbach signing a five year contract.

He made his official debut for the Hammers on 28 July in a 2–1 defeat to NK Domžale in the first leg of a Europa League qualifying match, playing the full 90 minutes.

A year later he completed a summer transfer to German Bundesliga side Hoffenheim for a fee reported to be £7.2m.

Nordtveit played 21 games in all competitions for the Hammers but the move never really worked out for the Norway international.

Hammers boss Slaven Bilic said at the time: "I would like to thank Havard for his commitment and hard work last season. He is an excellent professional and we wish him all the very best at Hoffenheim."

Fulham signed Nordtveit on loan for the remainder of the season paying a £900,000 loan fee and picking up his wages.

https://www.claretandhugh.info/former-hammer-could-make-fulham-debut/

WhiteJC

Hammers confident of Fulham double

West Ham supporters are confident of a Fulham double with 83% of Claret and Hugh readers expecting a West Ham win on Friday night. Just over 5% expect Fulham to win while the remaining 12% predict a draw.

West Ham won 2-0 away to Fulham in December and are hoping to complete a league double against the Cottagers for the time since the 2008-09 season.

Fulham won their first Premier League game away to West Ham in 2001 but they are winless in nine subsequent league visits (D4, L5).

West Ham have claimed just one victory in their last seven Premier League games (D3, L3), having won five of their previous six.

The Hammers have won nine league games already this season, one short of their final total last term.

The only club to have avoided relegation after taking 17 points or fewer from their first 26 Premier League games is West Brom in 2004-05.

Claudio Ranieri's side have lost five of their previous six games. Fulham have taken just two points from their last 15 away games in the Premier League (D2, L13), and are the only top-flight side without an away win this season. Fulham have conceded a league-high 58 goals this season, 10 more than any other side. The Whites have lost their last eight London derbies, a new record in the top flight, and have taken one point from the last 36 available in such matches.

https://www.claretandhugh.info/hammers-confident-of-fulham-double/

WhiteJC

The two reasons Claudio Ranieri believes he can pull off Fulham survival miracle

The Italian has experience in relegation battles

February, 19th place and just 15 points.

Claudio Ranieri's situation at Parma wasn't too dissimilar from his current predicament with Fulham. In that 2006/07 season Ranieri won 17 points from ten matches to keep his team in Serie A.

Despite winning the Premier League with Leicester and been known for managing the likes of Chelsea, Juventus, Inter Milan and Roma - the Italian has also earned his stripes in relegation battles.

The Cottagers are eight points from safety already this term, with 12 matches remaining, so it could take an effort even greater than the above to ensure survival.

Ranieri believes a miracle is required for Fulham but that it is one he can achieve, having saved Parma and also Cagliari even earlier in his career.

He said: "In Cagliari when I won the third division and then the second division, we arrived in Serie A. At the same point of the league, we were bottom.

"In Parma, I arrived more or less in this period - February 16th. The team was at the bottom and in the end we were safe.

"I remember we were so close together. We fought to try to make a miracle because nobody believed that Parma could be safe.

"It's the same with Fulham in this moment with people saying 'OK, Fulham is down'. But I am confident. Until the end, I will be confident. Always.

"My experience says if you try to do this, this and this, you have more opportunity. I believe in life if you fight, you can lose. But If you don't fight, you have already lost."

The 67-year-old had earlier praised the quality of Fulham's training and the atmosphere and he believes this is where he has generated success in the past.

Ranieri said: "The key is to train very well, to stay together in the bad moments. This team is the same, they work very well, they stay together. There is a very good atmosphere.

"If we continue in this way, we have to change. I believe this. As a manager I have experience. If your players train every time with very good intensity and very good mentality.

"It's important for me because I have to motivate them. But who motivates the motivator? The players and the fans. Together, we try to do the best."

Regardless of the Cottagers' plight, the Fulham boss is steadfast in his belief they can still survive, but is it his hardest challenge? Perhaps right now, but Ranieri does not believe that feeling will necessarily last and will use his experience from Serie A for inspiration.

He said: "When I arrived, nobody believed I could save Parma. It was also the same in Cagliari and the same here.

"Now I can say, 'Yes, it's more difficult' because I am living this moment. But also when I arrived there (it was the same).

"I think it is important to be confident with your players if you see your players are confident and believe."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/claudio-ranieri-relegation-fulham-parma-15868200