watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (27/02/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 27, 2019, 07:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham fans launch campaign to fund a banner in protest at 'extortionate' ticket prices

Fans have raised almost £1,000 towards a visual banner at Craven Cottage in protest at this season's ticket prices

Fulham fans have not had much to cheer this season, with their side languishing in the bottom three and eight points from safety.

It has been a miserable campaign so far for the Whites, with Fulham failing to recreate the form that fired them to promotion from the Championship via the play-offs last season, and only four wins to their name in the Premier League so far this season.

The Cottagers also lost in the third round of the FA Cup against League One side Oldham Athletic, while they exited the Carabao Cup at the fourth round stage, losing 2-0 to eventual winners Manchester City.

But while there has been plenty of disappointment for fans on the pitch this season, one of the hot topics for Fulham supporters is the cost of tickets.

Fans arrive outside the stadium prior to the Premier League match between Fulham FC and Arsenal FC at Craven Cottage on October 7, 2018 in London, United Kingdom. (Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

And a campaign has been launched to raise money for a banner to protest against the "extortionate" prices for games at Craven Cottage.

A gofundme page has been set up as part of the campaign, with £878 being raised so far in three days, exceeding the original target of £400.

So far, 76 people have contributed to the campaign, which features a page on the Fulhamish fans' website, titled 'Stop the Greed'.

The campaign is against the prices of tickets for home matches at Craven Cottage, which have been described as "astronomical" by those behind the initiative, with the cheapest available adult ticket priced at £43, which is listed as a restrictive view ticket in the Hammersmith Stand.

This is according to the club's website to purchase tickets, with tickets for the game against Cardiff City in April ranging from £43 to £65.

Earlier this season, Fulham justified their position on ticket prices at Craven Cottage, amid criticism from the Fulham Supporters' Trust, with the club pointing to a family fixture against Burnley in August as an example of when tickets were cheaper.

A spokesperson for Fulham Football Club said: "There are various categories for match ticket prices in 2018/19 and these are balanced against other fixtures at Craven Cottage.

"Ticket classifications during the Premier League campaign include a 'family fixture' category, such as the match against Burnley earlier in the season, where adult prices ranged from £25 to £45."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-fans-launch-campaign-fund-15883705

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: View Of The Opposition - Simon Peach Breaks Down Southampton
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is an interview with Simon Peach, who is the chief football writer at the Press Association, and he is also a Southampton supporter.

During the intervew, he shared his views on Southampton since the last time they played Fulham. He then gave his take on Fulham this season. We ended the show with Simon sharing his thoughts on this upcoming the match, and he gave a prediction. This is our preview show for this match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/2/26/18241090/cottage-talk-view-of-the-opposition-simon-peach-breaks-down-southampton

WhiteJC

One Focus And One Focus Only For Fulham Game

After the defeat at Arsenal there has been a lot of discontent amongst Saints supporters, however we cannot let that affect the most important thing this week and that is the crunch fixture against Fulham.

As I stated in the match verdict on Monday, this season will not be defined by a defeat at Arsenal or indeed at Old Trafford on Saturday should that be the case, it will though be defined by the game against Fulham on Wednesday.

The last two games ending in defeat have been disappointing, but the fact still remains that in the last six fixtures we have taken 8 points and that is about par for the course to be on target to stay up.

In those fixtures the only one that went against expectation was the defeat to Cardiff City and that could of course be a season defining result, however we cannot change that result and therefore we need to put it behind us and concentrate on what will make a difference between now and the end of the season.

That means focusing on beating Fulham or indeed giving ourselves the best chance of beating them both on and off the pitch.

We cannot moan about players who have gone or who are injured etc, we have to rely on who we have and encourage them to play not only to their abilities but beyond them.

We win this game and we put pressure on the sides around us, it doesn't matter how we achieve that win, three points is all that matters end of.

Sadly there are still plenty of tickets left, it would be nice if a fair chunk of those are sold between now and kick off, Fulham themselves have not taken their full allocation so we have the chance to drown them out.

Saints have great support both home and away, but if there are empty seats for a game like this, then that is a sad state of affairs, I see so many people on social media talk about the club and proclaiming their love of it but also how they are not happy with certain sides of things, everyone has their own way of supporting and I am not going to criticise anyone who chooses to stay away, that is their choice.

But that is not my idea of supporting a football club, it needs it's supporters for the crucial games and this is certainly crucial, I cannot understand why someone would st at home when something they care passionately about is fighting for it's footballing life only a short distance away.

It is times like this when politics have to go out of the window, when the going gets tough the tough get going as they say and in this case that means going to St Mary'son Wednesday evening.

But more than just going, we all need to put our gripes behind us and get behind the team, as I mentioned the last two games have brought out a little bit of doom and gloom, but a win against Fulham will make things look that much rosier, we are far from being adrift there is a lot to play for this season.

As I say it is everyone's right to stay at home and not bother for their own personal reasons, but if they do that then they are hardly in a position to complain if things do not go our way.

We are in a stronger position than a year ago, this time last year we were in freefall, now we are winning games of football, just not every game, this is one we can win.

On Wednesday everyone needs to be positive, players, supporters, everyone who cares about the club, owners come and go, boards come and go, players come and go, managers come and go the only permanent thing about a football club is it's supporters, Wednesday is a time to stand up and be counted.

There are some who will say this is an apology for Gao Krueger etc, they could not be more wrong, this is about Southampton Football Club and all I care about on Wednesday is winning this game of football, everything else can wait.

If one person reads this and decides that they will go after all then I wil have achieved something, hopefully a few more than that will, we need an atmosphere of positivity help create it for the Fulham game.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/49788/

WhiteJC

Tottenham move for Fulham's Sessegnon brothers could be brilliant

Tottenham are reportedly interested in Fulham's twin brothers Ryan and Steven Sessegnon.

According to TEAMtalk, Spurs are long-term admirers of the English pair and are keen on completing a deal for them in the summer.

The report details that Mauricio Pochettino's side are prepared to offer a deal worth up to £20million for the 18-year-old duo.

Ryan Sessegnon is the more recognised brother and to snap up him alone for anywhere near £20million could be genius, as he's got immense potential to be a future star.

He is a left-winger that is already a first teamer with Fulham, scoring two goals and supplying five assists in the Premier League so far this season.

The left-footed ace fits the bill perfectly for Pocehttino as a young talent with room to grow and he could be a superb addition for Spurs.

Meanwhile, Steven Sessegnon is a defender that has two senior appearances for Fulham so far this campaign and has been involved with England's set-up up to Under-19 level.

He would be a decent addition as part of a summer raid, but to snap up Ryan Sessegnon would be a stunning piece of business and he surely has the potential to be a future senior England international.

https://tbrfootball.com/tottenham-move-for-fulhams-sessegnon-brothers-could-be-brilliant/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri: We still believe we can stay up

FULHAM boss Claudio Ranieri insists his players still believe they can avoid relegation from the Premier League.

The Cottagers won their first game under Ranieri, 3-2 against Saints in November.

But they arrive at St Mary's tomorrow night on the back of a sixth defeat in seven Premier League games, following their 3-1 loss at West Ham.

"The level of confidence increases when you win," Ranieri told fulhamfc.com.

"Now, our last victory was a long time ago. It's important that we continue to fight.

"For us, I know it's tough, but we must believe. We must continue to fight because I don't like players who give up.

"In training, they train very well, which means they believe.

"We will fight together. If you fight, you may have a chance.

"I know it's very difficult, but we must fight. If you don't fight, you've lost before play. "I believe in every one of my players."

Fulham captain Tom Cairney has emphasised the importance of tomorrow night's game for his side.

"It is a must-win game on Wednesday, it is as simple as that," he said.

"We have got some of the big teams coming up and no one expects you to get much out of those games.

"There is still belief but it is tough, I am not going to lie. On the training pitch it is hard not knowing where the next win is coming from.

"It's still possible [to stay up] but we need to start winning games."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17460001.fulham-boss-claudio-ranieri-we-still-believe-we-can-stay-up/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri insists every Fulham match 'like a final' until end of the season

Claudio Ranieri insisted every Fulham match between now and the end of the season is "like a final" in their fight for Premier League survival.

Fulham's position is looking even more perilous week after week, as they sit eight points from safety, having shipped 60 league goals already and are winless away from home in the Premier League this season, ahead of a trip to Southampton on Wednesday.

With Southampton also very much embroiled in a relegation battle, the significance of the encounter is not lost on Ranieri, who knows his side need to start picking up points quickly.

"I have said so many times, every match is like a final for us," Ranieri said. "We have to play with this on our minds. Every ball is important to win or lose the match. I am confident in my players.

"I expect a lot of pressure from them [Southampton]. They move the ball quickly and play very directly. It will be very important to create big chances to score lots of goals.

"I work a lot with a tactical way, but sometimes the little mistakes can cost you. It is about how you react.

"We can score goals. So many times we have scored the first goal and after we draw or lost.

"You imagine if we could have won against Leicester, Wolves, the last match, we would have more points. Now we have to react because there are a lot of matches in a row."

Ranieri, who performed miracles in steering Leicester to a shock Premier League title in 2015/16, issued a rallying cry to fans, calling for unity in the fight for survival.

"We have to be together, to believes because it is very important, with our supporters we can do this job," Ranieri added. "I think the feeling between me and the players is important. Only together we can achieve things."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11648664/claudio-ranieri-insists-every-fulham-match-like-a-final-until-end-of-the-season

WhiteJC

Southampton v Fulham
WED 27 Feb 2019   Premier League
Venue: St. Mary's Stadium

Claudio Ranieri's first game in charge of Fulham was their 3-2 win over Southampton in November's reverse fixture.

TEAM NEWS

Southampton's teenage striker Michael Obafemi has been ruled out following the reoccurrence of a hamstring injury.

Danny Ings is also nursing a hamstring problem and is again set to miss out, while Mario Lemina remains sidelined.

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri has revealed he has a fully fit squad, with central defender Alfie Mawson returning from a knee injury sustained in December.

Lazar Markovic is pushing for his first start for the club.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@TonyHusbandBBC: Such is Fulham's precarious state, fans on one of their podcasts have taken to asking questions like: "Which Fulham player could be an Olympic shot putter?"

It's an insight into their mind set; most feel the season is gone. Barely anyone expects them to get out of this now.

The same can't be said of Southampton, for whom this is a momentous game. For all of the plaudits thrown Ralph Hasenhuttl's way, the same problems which beset Mark Hughes' reign now exist - they struggle to score and can't defend for a full 90 minutes.

So, in some ways, this is a team, in Fulham, that almost has nothing to lose, against a team, in Southampton, with everything to lose. For that reason, it ought to be a good one for the neutral.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl: "I think he [Claudio Ranieri] knows that it is 'must win' for him, for us it is 'should win'.

"The teams that have more points than we do at the moment, if they think they are safe now, that is the wrong thought because there is 33 points still to play for."

Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri: "I know it's tough, but we must believe. We must continue to fight because I don't like players who give up.

"They train very well, which means they believe. We will fight together. If you fight, you may have a chance.

"I expect a lot of pressure, [Southampton] move the ball very quickly, they play directly. It's important for us to create chances to score goals."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Fulham were abysmal at the back at West Ham. On that evidence alone, I have to go with a Southampton win here.

Prediction: 2-1

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Southampton are unbeaten in 19 home league matches versus Fulham, dating back to October 1935.
    Three of the past four meetings at St Mary's have ended in draws.
    Fulham's 3-2 victory in the reverse fixture ended their six-game winless streak against Southampton.
    The Cottagers can complete a first ever league double over Saints.

Southampton

Saints are winless in four matches, losing their last two.
    Ralph Hasenhuttl has claimed 15 points from a possible 36 as Southampton manager (W4, D3, L5).
    Their only clean sheet in 17 league games came in a 0-0 draw at Chelsea on 2 January.
    Southampton have won just six of their 37 home league matches since April 2017.
    They have lost their last five league games against newly-promoted teams, including all four this term.

Fulham

Fulham have lost seven of their last eight fixtures in all competitions.
    They are the only side yet to win a Premier League away match this season, losing 12 of their 14 games.
    Claudio Ranieri is winless in his last 22 Premier League away matches: 15 for Leicester, seven for Fulham.
    Ranieri has claimed 12 points from 15 league matches as Fulham boss (W3, D3, L9).
    They have conceded 30 first-half goals and 31 in the second half - both are the highest tallies in the division.
    Fulham have lost a league-high 18 points from winning positions, one more than opponents Southampton.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47301081

WhiteJC

Pay On The Day

Tickets for Fulham's away match against Southampton on Wednesday will be available for supporters to buy from St Mary's on the day.

Fans can head to Ticket Office 3 from 6pm to purchase their match ticket for the fixture, in which we'll be gunning for the win which would move us to within four points of the Saints.

Tickets are no longer available to buy online, but you can secure one in advance over the phone on 0203 871 0810 (option 3) until midday Wednesday. You can then collect your ticket from either Craven Cottage or St Mary's.

Trains will be running back to London for plenty of time after the game, so head down to Hampshire and join the 1,500 travelling army backing the boys!

#COYW #FollowFulhamAway

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/february/26/pay-on-the-day

WhiteJC

Angus Gunn can really announce himself at Southampton against Fulham

Southampton host Fulham on Wednesday night in the Premier League and it's a colossal fixture where someone could make themselves a hero.

The Saints currently sit 18th in the league table and a point from safety, while Fulham are seven points adrift of them in 19th.

Ralph Hasenhuttl's side are without a win in their last four league matches and know that a victory could take them out of the bottom three.

Southampton goalkeeper Angus Gunn is certainly someone that could make himself a hero after what has been a slow start to life at St Mary's.

They signed him for £13.5million (Sky Sports) in the summer and he's mainly had to watch from the bench.

But the 23-year-old did make his second league appearance of the season in the last game and is surely in contention to pip teammate Alex McCarthy to the starting position against Fulham.

Gunn is a highly-rated shot-stopper that has had to be patient waiting for his opportunities, but perform against Fulham he will be a hero and really arrive in the Premier League.

The England Under-21 international has proven himself to be a top goalkeeper in the Premier League and the jump up to the top flight this season hasn't been completely smooth.

But the Saints have a very promising talent in net that should only improve and Wednesday is huge for him.

https://tbrfootball.com/angus-gunn-can-really-announce-himself-at-southampton-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Tactical Watch: Keys to victory

Bleacher Report's Sam Tighe takes a look at Fulham ahead of Southampton's Premier League meeting with them at St Mary's on Wednesday night...

Wednesday sees Southampton welcome Fulham to St. Mary's Stadium in what could prove to be a pivotal game this Premier League season.

Seven points currently separate the two sides in the table, so a Saints win would put a 10-point buffer between themselves and 19th, narrowing their focus all the more in their quest for safety.

Fulham have lost seven of their last eight games and conceded at least two goals in every single one of them, meaning there's joy to be had for Ralph Hasenhuttl's men if they get a select few things right.

Pressing with success

Fulham started well against West Ham last Friday and took a deserved lead through Ryan Babel early on. With belief coursing through them, the winds looked like they might have changed...until the old Fulham reared its unwelcome head.

Misplaced passes in dangerous areas, primarily involving centre-backs on the halfway line, began to litter their play. It's a familiar story to fans who have watched gameplans break down regularly this season...and it led to a familiar result.

Fulham are playing with fear, and when you press players who aren't confident they make mistakes. Southampton have begun to press quite well and quite cohesively thanks to Hasenhuttl's tutelage, and it stands to reason they can force mistakes and take advantage of them on Wednesday.

Attack the flanks

Fulham's defensive issues are myriad, the number of players Claudio Ranieri has tried along the line indicative of their uncertainty, with leaks springing in every conceivable area. One position has troubled more than most, though: right-back, or right-wing-back depending on the formation.

Slated to play there against the Saints is Denis Odoi, who has found his way into most XIs this season despite continued poor form. A series of left-wingers have troubled him deeply since August, with Anthony Martial and Felipe Anderson spinning him round and round of late.

There's no doubt Odoi's lacking confidence, so his area is one Southampton would be wise to target. Beating him and opening space for a cross would open up another Fulham weakness too: the fact they struggle immensely to deal with crosses or balls into the box.

The defenders struggle to win their duels—evidenced by all three of West Ham's goals being headers on Friday—and goalkeeper Sergio Rico attempts to punch too many balls, often heaping pressure on his own side.

Stand up physically

Fulham have become a more direct side under Ranieri, and it's Babel's forceful runs with and without the ball that really epitomise the difference between this side the one Slavisa Jokanovic led.

Babel and Aleksandar Mitrovic as a front two can be quite the handful, and if they start to gain confidence they'll become even harder to deal with. Peculiarly, the more angry Mitrovic gets, the more likely it seems he'll score.

Babel will run the channels where possible, likely hitting the space between Jan Bednarek and Jack Stephens. Mitrovic will back into any defender he can find, roaming across the pitch and trying his luck against each.

If Saints can stand up tall against Mitrovic and prevent Babel from gaining steam, they'll be halfway to a clean sheet. Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney are good footballers who do offer something in support, but they're not players to count on given their inconsistent form this season.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-02-26/tactical-watch-southampton-fulham-premier-league-1819

WhiteJC

As hope and enthusiasm returns to Leicester, title-winning Ranieri has lost all spark at Fulham

The Cottagers are already eight points behind 17th place with 11 matches to go

Was Friday February 22nd at 9.45 the moment Claudio Ranieri lost his spark?

It would be wrong to say Fulham ever had the high-flying, dilly ding boss that led Leicester City to the title. The job at hand has perhaps been too serious to warrant such antics. He has been more reserved but always offers a warm smile, a greeting and a smart, colourful blazer for his pre-match press conferences.

Something didn't feel quite right in the build up to Southampton - the Italian's mood didn't match his jacket. On Tuesday he offered a more subdued entrance and certainly seemed more downbeat as he made his way to his seat.

When the Cottagers last faced the Saints it was a time of optimism and the 3-2 result certainly buoyed the feelings of frustration and despair in west London.

Ranieri's message then was of togetherness , a motif that rings true through to today. He wants the fans and players together to help stave off relegation.

"We have to be together," he said at Motspur Park, "we have to believe, because it's very, very important and with our supporters we can do this job."

The crucial word now however is 'believe'. The Whites are seven points behind their south coast opponent and eight from safety with just 11 matches remaining. There can't be too many outside of the Fulham camp who do hold belief.

The 67-year-old speaks of having confidence in his players to perform a 'miracle' but won't contemplate the achievement that survival would represent and instead insists: "My focus is on Southampton and I hope we can make a very good result."

In many ways it seemed Ranieri did not have the same conviction as he did on the previous Thursday afternoon when previewing his side's match against West Ham.

Then, the former Chelsea manager retained his sparkle even when questions began to probe towards his future, sharing a joke about forgetting all about his contract as soon as it was signed.

Ironically, the game against the Hammers is one that showed shoots of rejuvenation - a Ryan Sessegnon assist, Ryan Babel made an impact and Tom Cairney pulled the strings in the middle of the pitch. At this stage of the season however, points are all that matter as well the Fulham chief knows.

Before defeat to West Ham, Ranieri looked to believe the fans were still behind him and the club.

He said: "I think the fans are behind us and that is very important. To be sure we are fighting together. I think good friends you see in a bad moment. Now is a bad moment but we have very good fans."

With the boos he received in defeat to Manchester United, and the consistent outpouring on social media, that belief could be starting to wane.

Even when things went wrong at Leicester, supporters generally seemed to be behind him, as well as the general public en masse, despite the Foxes moving into the relegation zone. It was the players' issues that led the title-winner to his exit.

Shahid Khan described the Italian as 'risk-free and ready-made for the Premier League', but the football on show, for the most part has only fulfilled the former. The style has become more conservative, a far cry from the free-flowing passing Slavisa Jokanovic generated.

In truth, Ranieri is between a rock and a hard place as his side appear unable to both attack and defend well simultaneously. Winning the fans back will always be a difficult task.

The pressure from the stands is building and with it the Fulham boss' answers are becoming shorter and more similar. The brief time he spent with the press was a far-cry from the passionate proclamation of love he made for the Whites just days ago.

The ex-Juventus manager is more guarded than he has been in his Fulham tenure and perhaps it is because any answer he can offer would not reassure supporters, regardless of what he had to say.

It is honestly a difficult position to be in -  a builder who doesn't necessarily have the tools at his disposal.

On a day where hope and enthusiasm appears to be returning to Leicester with the imminent appointment of Brendan Rodgers - the former Premier League champion appears to be losing his own.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/claudio-ranieri-fulham-vs-southampton-15890400

WhiteJC

Ranieri: Belief will help Fulham in battle for Premier League survival

Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri maintains everyone at the club must believe they can fight their way to Premier League survival against the odds.

The Cottagers are eight points from safety with 11 games to play and also have a worse goal difference than four of the bottom six.

After heading to fellow relegation-battlers Southampton on Wednesday night, Fulham host west-London neighbours Chelsea, before tackling Ranieri's old club Leicester.

March finishes with successive home matches against title challengers Liverpool and Manchester City.

Despite bookmakers and pundits alike expecting Fulham to be back in the Sky Bet Championship again next season, the Italian coach insists there is still plenty to play for.

"We have to be together, we have to believe. It's very, very important to show our supporters we can do this job," Ranieri said.

"The morale is good. The lads have trained well. They believe. It's a difficult situation, but I believe because they believe."

Should Fulham secure what would be a first away Premier League win of the season at St Mary's Stadium on Wednesday night, it would lift them to within four points of the Saints – and potentially breathe new life into their survival fight.

"This is a crucial match," Ranieri said.

"I said many times, every match for us is like a final, and we have to play with this in our minds. Every ball is important. I am confident in my players.

"I hope tomorrow we do something good to achieve a good result."

Ranieri added at a press conference ahead of the match: "I expect a lot of pressure from Southampton – they move the ball very quickly, they play directly.

"It's important for us to create chances to score the goals."

Fulham had taken an early lead at West Ham last Friday night through Ryan Babel, only to end up beaten 3-1 and suffer a third-straight defeat.

Ranieri knows his team must quickly learn how to make the most of building on their foothold in games if they are to somehow drag themselves clear of the relegation zone.

"Think how many times we have started well and scored goals. We have done it against Leicester, Wolves, West Ham, Burnley," the Fulham boss said.

"We have scored a goal and let it go. That must be our strength and we must grow from that. Together we must try to score a second.

"We concede so many times. We score first, but we draw or lose. Imagine if we won against Wolves, Leicester, even the last match.

"We would have more points, but that's the Premier League."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/ranieri-belief-will-help-fulham-battle-premier-league-survival

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon's Fulham horror-show is a warning to Tottenham

Tottenham Hotspur reportedly want to sign Fulham left-back Ryan Sessegnon for £20m, despite his awful Premier League display on Friday.

Any Tottenham Hotspur fans who tuned into Fulham's latest Premier League defeat on Friday might be wondering why they are prepared to offer £20 million for Ryan Sessegnon, as reported by TEAMtalk.

This time last year, the 18-year-old was arguably the most coveted young talent in English football. He was a revelation as Fulham were promoted to the top flight, scoring a remarkable 16 goals and providing a further eight assists, earning the Championship Player of the Month award as a result.

12 months on, however, Sessegnon has come to epitomise Fulham's rapid and seemingly unstoppable decline. Yes the teenager produced his sixth assist in just 17 starts to set up Ryan Babel's opener against West Ham at the London Stadium but the flaws in his game were left ruthlessly exposed in the rest of a dismal first-half.

Lining up at left-back, Sessegnon allowed Michail Antonio in on goal time and time again and was at fault for The Hammers' second – although why he was allowed mark the giant Issa Diop from a set piece is anyone's guess.

Fulham fans on Twitter were left divided between those who blamed Sessegnon for his attitude and those who questioned Claudio Ranieri's tactics. But there is clearly something not quite right about a player whose reputation has taken a battering in the last few months.

If Sessegnon does indeed make the move to North London next summer, Mauricio Pochettino could have a big challenge on his hands.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/02/26/ryan-sessegnons-fulham-horror-show-is-a-warning-to-tottenham/

WhiteJC

Southampton vs Fulham preview: Relegation rivals meet at St Mary's

Claudio Ranieri acknowledged Fulham's trip to Southampton on Wednesday is "crucial" in their bid to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

Fulham are eight points from safety with 11 games to play and have the second-worst goal difference in the league.

With Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester City to play after this match, Fulham desperately need a win to potentially breathe new life into their survival bid.

"This is a crucial match," said Ranieri. "I said many times, every match for us is like a final, and we have to play with this in our minds. Every ball is important. I am confident in my players.

"I hope we do something good to achieve a good result."

Saints are one place and seven points above Fulham, having lost their previous two matches to Cardiff and Arsenal.

Manager Ralph Hasenhuttl says his side will be hoping to "surprise" Fulham.

"We are in a situation now again where we perhaps don't play beautifully but play for the results and I think we have to come back in this shape.

"We want to put some stress on the opponent and surprise them with what we are doing and that has been our focus in the last two days.

Team news
Southampton will be without striker Michael Obafemi, who is set to miss the rest of the season after a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

The 18-year-old Republic of Ireland international had just returned to action as a substitute against Arsenal on Sunday, but is now facing a lengthy spell of rehabilitation.

Hasenhuttl confirmed striker Danny Ings (hamstring) was not yet ready to come into contention, while midfielder Mario Lemina (abdominal) also continues his recovery.

Fulham manager Ranieri reported no fresh injury problems. Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Lazar Markovic both came on for the second half of the 3-1 defeat at West Ham, so could be in contention to start.

Defender Alfie Mawson continues his recovery from a long-term knee injury.

Opta stats
    Southampton are unbeaten in their last 19 home league games against Fulham (W13 D6) since a 1-2 loss in October 1935 (second tier). Only against Coventry (22 games) have they ever had a longer unbeaten home run in their league history.
    Despite this being the 30th different league season in which they've faced, Fulham are looking to do the league double over Southampton for the very first time.
    Since winning their first Premier League match at St Mary's under Ralph Hasenhuttl against Arsenal, Southampton have won just one of their subsequent five (W1 D1 L3).
    Since Claudio Ranieri's first Premier League match in charge of Fulham, only Bournemouth (32) have conceded more goals than the Cottagers (30).
    Among the 17 teams to have featured in each of the last two Premier League seasons, Southampton have won fewer home games than any other side in that time (6 in 32 games).
    Claudio Ranieri is winless in 22 away Premier League games (15 for Leicester, 7 for Fulham). The last manager to have a longer winless run was Iain Dowie (23 games between November 2004 and May 2010).

Merson's prediction

This is a cup final, the biggest game of the midweek. Fulham are virtually down, I don't give them much chance, but with Saints' games coming up if they don't win this they're in major trouble.

Southampton simply have to win, and I'm going for a very, very nervy football match.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-0 (6/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/soton-vs-fulham/preview/391036

WhiteJC

Southampton injury update: Michael Obafemi out for the season, Danny Ings unavailable for Fulham
It's a good thing Saints were so active to get rid of players in the January transfer window...

Given how young and inexperienced Michael Obafemi is, few would have never thought the revelation that he would be injured for the rest of the season would be news we would all fear.

That, and, unsurprisingly, the fact Danny Ings remains injured and will miss the Fulham game per Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl.

This leaves Saints with a particularly toothless strikeforce with just Shane Long and Charlie Austin available.

"We gave Michael Obafemi a long time to recover and did not let him start the game because we knew it's important for him to make a small step at first," Hasenhuttl said in his pre-game press conference. "It's a different thing training for two weeks and then playing a Premier League game, the intensity is so much higher.

"Losing Michael is a big blow, he is out now until the end of the season. We have a big problem because an 18 year old is not part of a team then we really have a problem. It's not about putting more pressure on him, we have other options with the players we have.

"The worst part is for him; another big injury at this age when you are trying to get experience and want to play and make the next step in your development, it doesn't help with your development. That's what we are thinking about more. We will find other solutions on the pitch but for him it is a disaster.

"It doesn't seem possible for Danny Ings to play; we must be careful with him because the risk is too high. He hasn't been training with the team and we still have a big injury with Michael Obafemi so we know how dangerous it can be.

"With Danny, we won't take any risks. Maybe he will be an option for Tottenham but if not, we will have a three week break to make sure and get him ready for the last games."

However, Mario Lemina could be available for Wednesday night.

"Mario Lemina is training by himself in a controlled workload and we will have a look at him."

https://stmarysmusings.sbnation.com/2019/2/26/18241839/southampton-injury-update-michael-obafemi-out-for-the-season-danny-ings-unavailable-for-fulham

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur eye £20million bid for Premier League duo: Too good to be true?

Tottenham Hotspur are hoping to sign Fulham duo Ryan and Steven Sessegnon in the summer transfer window, it has been claimed.

Spurs went two windows without signing anyone as they focussed on keeping their talented squad together, and have still managed to compete with Liverpool and Manchester City for the majority of the season.

According to a report by Teamtalk, the north London outfit will offer a fee of  £20million for the Fulham brothers.

Spurs were linked with a move for Ryan Sessegnon, the more prominent of the two brothers, in 2018, but Fulham's promotion challenge coupled with a steep price prevented Mauricio Pochettino's side from sealing the deal.

If Fulham do end up getting relegated, it's likely that some of their better players will be targeted by Premier League sides, and because of the issues of finances, the Cottagers might have to sell a few players.

The Sessegnons to Spurs – Too good to be true?
A fee of £20 million for players who have quite a lot of resale value and are talented is pretty low compared to Fulham's previous valuation. While the price-tag is likely to go down if they are indeed relegated, Fulham are unlikely to settle for a fee as low as the reported figure.

Ryan Sessegnon especially has had a meteoric rise, having impressed for the side in the Championship when he was just 16.

Though Sessegnon hasn't been able to make the same impact in the Premier League, and understandably so as the top flight is much more competitive, he is still a very talented player and is still only 18.

Despite what many have deemed a bad season for Ryan Sessegnon, the 18-year has scored twice and assisted five goals in 24 league appearances, and has shown the versatility to feature in the left-back and a left-wing role when asked to.

Steven Sessegnon, on the other hand, hasn't been as successful as his brother yet, and has predominantly featured for the Under-23 side. He did make a couple of appearances in the EFL Cup, though.

Pochettino has done extremely well with young players who have shown a lot of promise, and if the club can get their hands on the Sessegnon duo, the club will have more strength and depth.

Having experienced top flight football, Ryan Sessegnon is now more ready to move to a top-four club than he was last season, but whether or not the said fee will be enough remains to be seen.

https://madaboutepl.net/2019/02/tottenham-hotspur-transfer-news-ryan-steven-sessegnon-eyed-20m/

WhiteJC

Southampton's last five home wins against Fulham

SAINTS have only won two of their last eight home games against Fulham, but there have been some memorable victories against the Cottagers over the years.

Here is a look back at Saints' last five home wins against Fulham ahead of tomorrow's big match at St Mary's.

SAINTS 2 FULHAM 0
October 26th, 2013

SAINTS moved to third in the Premier League with this win. The recalled Rickie Lambert opened the scoring on 20 minutes
Jay Rodriguez flicked on a superb James Ward-Prowse corner and Lambert powered in a header at the far post.
Lambert also hit the post in a blistering first-half display, before Jay Rodriguez made it 2-0 in the 43rd minute. It was another well-worked goal with Lambert at the heart of it. Adam Lallana found him at the far post with a searching cross-field chip into the area. It was nodded back across goal and Rodriguez held off Phillippe Senderos to head in from close range.
At the final whistle, only Arsenal and Liverpool were above Mauricio Pochettino's men.
SAINTS: Boruc, Clyne, Lovren, Fonte, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Wanyama (Cork 89), Ward-Prowse, Lallana, Lambert (Do Prado 78), Rodriguez.   

SAINTS 4 FULHAM 2
October 27th 2002

James Beattie's first Premiership hat-trick ensured Saints came back from 2-0 down to win a match played in gale-force winds.
Lee Clark gave Fulham a 15th-minute lead with a run and a shot that took a wicked deflection off the back of Michael Svensson, leaving Antti Niemi helpless.
They doubled it on 24 minutes thanks to some slack defending. Steed Malbranque sidefooted in after Saints allowed Steve Finnan's cut back from the by-line to roll across the penalty area.
Beattie pulled one back with a 26th-minute penalty into the top corner after a Zak Knight handball. 
He headed the 42nd-minute equaliser across Edwin Van Der Sar and into the far corner following a beautiful ball from former Fulham star Fabrice Fernandes.
Beattie headed his third from Anders Svensson's 53rd-minute free-kick, before Brett Ormerod stroked in the fourth.
SAINTS: Niemi, Dodd, Bridge, Oakley, Lundekvam, M Svensson, Fernandes, Ormerod, Beattie, A Svensson, Marsden.

SAINTS 2 FULHAM 0
November 26th 1977

Steve Neville scored his only goal in six Saints appearances, a close-range header, to give Saints the lead midway through the second half of this division two fixture.
Nick Holmes cut in from the left before beating Gerry Peyton from 12 yards to double the advantage.
Saints manager Lawrie McMenemy described the performance as Saints' worst of the season but  they were promoted back to the first division as runners-up behind Bolton Wanderers six months later, when Neville was released.
SAINTS: Wells, Waldron, Andruszewski, Baker, Nicholl, Pickering Ball, Boyer, MacDougall, Holmes, Neville.

George Best is sent off at The Dell in 1976

SAINTS 4 FULHAM 1
October 2nd 1976

Ted MacDougall and Mel Blyth scored two goals apiece in this comfortable win against Fulham.
MacDougall glanced in a second-minute header from a David Peach cross and Blyth headed in two Jim McCalliog free-kicks.
In between, Fulham pulled a goal back through striker John Mitchell, a few minutes after the great George Best was sent off for foul and abusive language, midway through the second half.
Saints boss Lawrie McMenemy defended Best afterwards, saying: "Technically the referee was right but George Best has been criticised often enough for not caring about football. Today he was sent off because he cares."
MacDougall completed the scoring in the 80th minute, after racing on to a Mick Channon pass. Malcolm Waldron was named man of the match.
SAINTS: Boulton, Rodrigues, Peach, Steele (Stokes 22), Waldron, Blyth, MacDougall,  Channon, Osgood, McCalliog, Fisher.

SAINTS 2 FULHAM 1
February 24th 1976

Saints went behind to a sixth-minute goal by John Lacy but Mel Blyth soon equalised by heading in a David Peach corner. Ted MacDougall missed a 51st-minute penalty but on the hour Mick Channon raced on to  a Hughie Fisher pass  and smashed an angled 20-yarder past Peter Mellor.
Fulham boss Alec Stock said: "It takes a special type of player to score a goal like that."
This win contributed to Saints' best-ever season at home – it was one of 18 league wins at The Dell.
Saints' poor away form meant they finished sixth but the season is best remembered for the club's FA Cup success.
SAINTS: Turner, Rodrigues, Peach, Holmes, Blyth, Steele, Fisher, Channon, Gilchrist, McCalliog, Stokes.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17460079.southamptons-last-five-home-wins-against-fulham/?ref=rss

WhiteJC

Southampton should leave no stone unturned in beating Fulham to sign this pacy French U19 star in the summer – Here is why

Southampton Opinion: Why Southampton should beat Fulham to Jordan Halaimia

Calciomercato has reported that Southampton and Fulham have joined the race for Saint-Etienne youth star Jordan Halaimia. The 18-year-old defender has been among the standout stars this season for the French side's U19 team and this has seen his stock in the footballing world shoot up.

Halaimia's blend of pace and power has further added to the young defender's value. More so, his improvement both tactically and mentally this season has seen the 18-year-old transform into one of the Ligue 1's best defensive prospects.

But that rise has also seen him be scouted by more than a few sides from all over the world, as clubs are looking to pounce on the French footballer's contract issues.

At the moment, the young defender is yet to sign a professional deal (h/t Calicomercato) with Saint-Etienne and is currently still on a youth contract with the club.

This does allow any suitors to offer him the chance to sign a deal with them, which is why Southampton should win the race. The Saints have a brilliant chance of landing the youngster, thanks to their youth academy but they can also offer him Premier League football.

Southampton usually hand youth players their first-team debuts at a young age and that should attract Halaimia. Also their sensational youth academy will be a positive point. More so, Yan Valery's recent success with the first team should help convince the 18 year old Saint-Etienne star that his future does lie at St Mary's.

The right-back arrived from Rennes a few years ago and slowly made his way up into the first team, making his debut this season. Furthermore, Maya Yoshida is on the wrong side of 30, meaning that the club need to start looking for young defenders to replace him.

While Jan Bednarek has done a relatively decent job for the club, the Polish star has struggled to find consistency over the last few months.

Ralph Hasenhuttl's arrival has helped Bednarek improve but the 22 year old has yet to make a lasting impact. Any deal, however, will have to happen fast with Calciomercato further revealing that Fulham, Portuguese side FC Braga and Sampdoria are all after Jordan Halaimia as well.

All three sides are on the lookout for young talent on the cheap, and the 18-year-old Halaimia fits that description perfectly. This could complicate any move that Southampton will make, but if the Saints make the first move, then, few players would reject a move to their youth academy.

https://soccersouls.com/2019/02/27/southampton-should-leave-no-stone-unturned-in-beating-fulham-to-sign-this-pacy-french-u19-star-in-the-summer-here-is-why/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri puts his faith in Havard Nordveit to reverse Fulham's fortunes vs Southampton

The Norwegian joined from Hoffenheim in January

Claudio Ranieri appears to putting a lot of faith into new signing Harvard Nordveit as he continues to look for improvement from a leaky defence.

After 27 matches the Cottagers had conceded nine goals more than any other team in the Premier League with 61 goals.

Struggles at the back have characterised Fulham's season and West Ham took advantage from corners last time out to overturn the White's 1-0 lead, where the Norwegian made his debut against his former club.

Losing points from winning position is particularly frustrating Ranieri as he looks to improve their fortunes in defence.

He said: "I work a lot with a tactical way but sometimes little mistakes and we go down. Now we are to react, so many times we score the first goal and then we draw or lose.

"You imagine if we could win with Leicester or Wolves and also the last match - we would have more points. That's our Premier League, now we have to react and there are lot of matches in a row and we have to be ready."

The Italian hopes that 28-year-old Nordveit can help shore up his issues.

The Hoffenheim loanee is usually deployed as a defensive midfielder but started in the place of Maxime Le Marchand in Fulham's back three in the defeat against the Hammers.

The international has experienced Champions League and Bundesliga football already this season and was a regular fixture for his parent club barring injury.

Ranieri hopes he can draw on his experience to elevate those around him.

The 67-year-old said: "Nordvelt is a good leader and I hope we can improve again.

"We are working well and also we are playing well, only the results are against us, but they are very important.

"I hope we can take a good result against Southampton.

"I expect a lot of pressure, they move the ball very quickly, they play directly. For us it will be important to create big chances to score goals."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/claudio-ranieri-puts-faith-havard-15891894

WhiteJC

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl previews Fulham

SAINTS boss Ralph Hasenhuttl believes tonight's game with Fulham is a 'should-win' game as opposed to 'must-win'.

The Cottagers are seven points behind Hasenhuttl's side, with the prospect of relegation growing larger by the week.

Saints' manager said: "I don't want to say the pressure is more on Fulham, but they are eight points away from the line, and we are only one.

"It's an important game but not the final game – we still have ten games after tonight. I think he [Claudio Ranieri] knows it's a must-win for him because if they lose they are 10 points away and then it's done I think.

"For us, it's a should-win because we're also under the line. At the moment we are both relegated. That's for sure.

"But also, the teams that have more points than us at the moment, if they think they're safe now, I think that's the wrong thought.

"There are 33 points available from here which means everyone can get a lot. And for us, it's not a new situation.

"When I began here I said that at the end that's the moment where you need to be above the line. It can take until the last game until you're there, where you want to be.

"So, if a club thinks they're safe before the final game they're wrong.

"For us, it's not a new situation. We've had this pressure from the first day I was working here and that keeps on until the last game and we're prepared for that."

For every mistake Saints have committed over the last few weeks, they've been punished for it: the penalty at Burnley, the lack of concentration after equalising against Cardiff and another defensive error which led to Arsenal beating them at The Emirates on Sunday.

However, Hasenhuttl believes this is down to the quality of the opposition as opposed to the players feeling the heat of a relegation battle.

He added: "I don't think it's about the pressure from the league table, I think it's about the pressure you get from the opponents.

"If you make such a mistake against Arsenal, then you can be sure it will immediately be a goal.

"I trust my supporters. I know that they know what tomorrow is about and that they know how to help us. In general, it doesn't help if there is booing when there is a mistake. I can guarantee you that there will be mistakes on the pitch tomorrow.

"We will lose balls, that's football. I can guarantee that they will know tomorrow what it's like to be a Southampton FC supporter and they will help us I'm sure."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17461395.southampton-manager-ralph-hasenhuttl-previews-fulham/?ref=rss