more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (02/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 02, 2019, 06:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sacking Claudio Ranieri is too little, too late for Fulham

The day after Fulham's crushing defeat to lowly Southampton, Claudio Ranieri was sacked and replaced with Scott Parker.

After essentially steering the Whites towards the drop, the decision to fire the Italian manager is simply too little, too late for Fulham.

Somehow, one of the most likable figures in football managed to turn the entire Cottage faithful against him by imposing an outdated style on Fulham, isolating key players, and revealing his out-of-touch nature with the modern game.

When Ranieri was appointed back in November, he was hailed by Shahid Khan as a "risk-free" appointment. He quickly engineered a debut win over the Saints, sparking optimism that Fulham could turn around their season.

But the Ranieri era peaked on that November day, some three months ago.

A switch to a three centre-back formation brought a first clean sheet against Newcastle and a narrow win over Huddersfield in December, but the momentum quickly died out.

As the festive period faded away, Fulham fell apart. Out of the club's nine games in 2019, a damning eight were losses — including an embarrassing FA Cup defeat to Oldham.

In addition, late points dropped were a constant feature of Ranieri's tenure, with the team suffering confidence-sapping heartbreak against Leicester, Wolves, and Tottenham.

Paired with terrible performances against Burnley, Crystal Palace, and West Ham, the Whites never looked likely of conjuring up any useful spirit.

Yet of course, just a month ago, there was the big anomaly: a plucky, spirited, roaring comeback against Brighton. That 45 minutes when the Cottagers scored four goals and stormed to victory featured Fulham's famous sustained attacking pressure — but this impetus was never recreated again under Ranieri. One gets the feeling that Fulham blew away the Seagulls in spite of Ranieri, not because of him.

And when Ranieri stuck with a negative, five-at-the-back system the following match against Palace, it was clear he had learned nothing from the only win of the new year.

In all honesty, Ranieri should have been sacked after the Manchester United home loss, which would have given Parker a chance to salvage the season with winnable matches against West Ham and Southampton.

In the end, Ranieri was given a terrible assignment in SW6. He entered a club that was leaking goals for fun with a Championship defence. He had to make do with numerous injuries that killed the squad, such as Alfie Mawson's terrible freak knee injury. There were just three signings in January: two left-wingers and an underwhelming, failed Premier League centre-back.

Few managers could be expected to salvage this mess of a club.

But in addition to all the obvious shortcomings and challenges Ranieri faced, the manager made countless situations worse at Craven Cottage.

He stunted the development of prized youngster Ryan Sessegnon, denting his confidence and making the 18-year-old a shadow of his former self.

He shunted midfield maestro Tom Cairney out to a wing position, where the captain was clearly isolated and out of sorts.

He chopped and changed his lineup and never returned to the winning formula that blew away Brighton from the start.

He constantly talked about fighting, experience, warriors, pirates, soldiers, and belief, while his team lost all confidence and respect for his leadership.

Claudio Ranieri came into a shambolic situation at Fulham and made it worse. Fulham fans are glad to see him go — they just wish the sack had come earlier.

https://tbrfootball.com/sacking-claudio-ranieri-is-too-little-too-late-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Johnson would be shrewd Fulham choice but problems run deeper than the manager

Fulham look like they're planning for the Championship already and while Lee Johnson would be a sound choice to succeed Claudio Ranieri, they have other problems too.

(GEOFF CADDICK/AFP/Getty Images)

Fulham are eyeing Bristol City manager Lee Johnson as a potential successor for Claudio Ranieri, according to the Daily Mirror.

They report that the 37-year-old and Steve Clarke are both in contention for the top job at Craven Cottage after Ranieri was given his marching orders yesterday.

That move, with Fulham ten points adrift of safety, looks like a move taken to begin preparations for life back in the Championship.

Johnson has done outstanding work in the second tier with Bristol City over the last couple of seasons and they look a good bet to secure a play-off spot.

All of that has come while playing some very attractive football – the kind Fulham played to get promoted before completely abandoning it under Ranieri – and not having the biggest budget in the second tier.

Johnson's pedigree and room to improve would make him a prime candidate but there are problems at Craven Cottage that run deeper than the manager.

The club's recruitment was shambolic in the summer and worse in January and this is the second straight top flight season in which they will be managed by three different managers.

The Khans have overseen an amateurish and chaotic approach to life in the Premier League. An exodus of top talent is likely and loanees will return to their parent clubs, leaving a shell of a squad in need of yet another overhaul.

Getting Johnson would be a step in the right direction but there is plenty more for Fulham to do before they can be considered promotion contenders next season – in the very likely event they go down.

https://tbrfootball.com/johnson-would-be-shrewd-fulham-choice-but-problems-run-deeper-than-the-manager/

WhiteJC

Hodgson questions Fulham's 'quite controversial decision'

Roy Hodgson has expressed his dismay at the sacking of Claudio Ranieri by Fulham.

Ranieri left the relegation-threatened Cottagers on Thursday after just over three months in charge of the Premier League club.

The Italian, who masterminded Leicester's stunning 2016 title success, oversaw just three wins in 16 league matches and leaves the club 19th in the table.

They are 10 points off safety with 10 games remaining but Crystal Palace boss Hodgson, himself a former Fulham manager, believes his old club have acted too hastily.

"I'm very sad, I'm very disappointed," said Hodgson, speaking at the London Football Awards, an event which supports Willow. "He has my empathy, my condolences.

"I think it is a sad situation for someone like him, with his CV, someone who won the Premier League as recently as two-and-a-half-years ago, one of the most miraculous championship wins we have seen in Premier League history.

"I find it sad after as little as two or three months he has been shown the door by Fulham. It disappoints me Fulham, a club I really like, I have so much time for, have found it necessary to make this quite controversial decision."

David Pleat, the former Tottenham and Leicester manager, was also surprised by the decision of Fulham chairman Shahid Khan.

He said: "It's disappointing because I like him as a person. He's a very calm, philosophical type of manager.

"You have to have a good chairman and a chairman that is responsible and understands the game enough to know that you can have bad times and bad games as well as good games.

"In football you don't just win every game – that doesn't happen – and Fulham were always going to be up against it because they got promotion with a group of players for whom the level was just a bit too high for them."

https://www.football365.com/news/hodgson-questions-fulhams-quite-controversial-decision

WhiteJC

Chelsea Team News: Injuries, suspensions and line-up vs Fulham

The Blues are looking to overturn their terrible recent away form by beating their local rivals on Sunday

Chelsea got back to winning ways with a 2-0 win over rivals Tottenham in midweek and now face another London derby match in the shape of a visit to Fulham.

Maurizio Sarri has eased pressure over his future at the club with the win against Spurs, though managerial issues are still likely to dominate the build-up after Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri was sacked on Thursday.

Chelsea have a full complement of players available, barring any late injuries in training, ahead of kick-off at Craven Cottage.

Eden Hazard was substituted in the 57th minute against Tottenham due to fatigue after playing 120 minutes against Man City in the Carabao Cup final. He is, though, likely to recover in time for Sunday's clash.

Suspensions

Neither Chelsea nor Fulham have any suspensions to contend with ahead of Sunday's match.

Chelsea Potential Starting Line-Up

Willy Caballero started in goal against Tottenham after Kepa Arrizabalaga's refusal to substituted in the Carabao Cup final penalty shootout loss to Manchester City.

Maurizio Sarri insisted that Caballero will start one of his side's next two games too as the club looks to move on from the embarrassing incident at Wembley Stadium.

Only Cesar Azpilicueta and N'Golo Kante have started every Premier League game this season after the Blues' number one was dropped on Wednesday.

Marcos Alonso and Emerson Palmieri are vying for a place at left back, while Ross Barkley and Mateo Kovacic are doing the same on the left side of midfield.

The rest of the team is mostly predictable due to Sarri's lack of rotation, and he is likely to continue using a 4-3-3 formation, despite tweaking his tactics slightly over the past week.

Fulham Team News

Marcus Bettinelli and Alfie Mawson are both out of the match with knee injuries, but the Cottagers have no other concerns ahead of kick off.

TV channel & kick-off time

The match at Stamford Bridge kicks off at 2:05pm GMT (9:05 am ET) on Sunday and will be shown like on Sky Sports in the UK. In the US, the game is available on NBC Sports.

Best Opta Match Facts

Fulham have won just one of their last 32 league meetings with Chelsea (D12 L19), beating them 1-0 in the Premier League in March 2006.

Fulham have lost all nine of their Premier League London derby matches this season – they could become the first team in top-flight history to lose 10 such matches in a single campaign.

Chelsea have lost two of their four away London derby matches this season (W1 D1). They last lost three away London derbies in a single Premier League campaign back in 2001- 02.

Chelsea have lost their last three Premier League away games by an aggregate score of 0-12. They last lost four in a row on the road in December 2000 (a run of five).

Half of Chelsea forward Pedro's Premier League goals this season have come in London derbies (4/8).

https://www.goal.com/en/news/chelsea-team-news-injuries-suspensions-and-line-up-vs-fulham/1anqjy9qorded14zef1g5onw50

WhiteJC

Ranieri's replacements?

Claudio Ranieri has been relieved of his duties at Fulham Football Club (or vice-verse works too). In preparation for the event, I asked Fulham Twitter to send me their picks to replace the Italian at the helm of the football club and these are the five most popular choices analysed and evaluated with honourable mentions at the bottom.

Chris Wilder:

Wilder's Sheffield United squad have a completely British squad utilising a 352 where Oliver Norwood acts as the midfield anchor and is having an excellent season, creating seven goals and only Leeds' Pablo Hernandez has created more chances than the Northern Irishman that spent 2017/18 on loan at Craven Cottage prior to his permanent move to Sheffield.

Whilst Sheffield United don't play with the pizazz and polish of a Leeds or Norwich, also contending for automatic promotion from the Championship, Sheffield United have the second best defence in the division and are only outscored by Norwich and West Bromwich Albion thanks mostly to veterans Billy Sharp and David McGoldrick.

I admire what Chris Wilder has been able to do at Sheffield United, but also at Northampton Town before then as he won League Two in impressive style. It'd be fascinating to see what he could do with a larger budget but as a Sheffield born professional with seven years of his playing career spent at Sheffield United, I'm not sure he'd leave the club where he has more 'old-school' managerial responsibilities for us in the same division with someone with zero footballing experience giving him the tools to work with and happy to sack him if it doesn't work.

Oscar Garcia:

The man replaced by Slavisa Jokanovic at Watford, it was at Brighton where Garcia caught the eye for me at least. His possession based footballing style starved the opposition of the ball to the extent where they had the second tightest defence in the division. In his sole season at the Seagulls, he replicated Gus Poyet's unsuccessful play off campaign from the previous year despite a lack of goals beyond top scorer Leonardo Ulloa.

The Guardian have a nice write up which hints as his tactical philosophy (https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/aug/21/saint-etienne-unshackled-from-lifeless-approach-by-oscar-garcia). Groomed in Spain, notably ex-Barcelona, the comparisons can be drawn between Oscar Garcia and former Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic – the inability to really hold down a position prior to 'arriving' at Fulham, the aesthetics of their footballing philosophy and even the clubs (both coached Watford, Maccabi Tel Aviv and both have success in the outer reaches of global football – Jokanovic in Thailand and Garcia in Austria).

Oscar Garcia would be fascinating appointment, and arguably a correct one for the footballing parallels this squad was built for and accustomed to. Though question marks will no doubt hover over the futures of the likes of Tom Cairney and Aleksander Mitrovic with relegation, there's enough there to replicate that style by looking back to those that were part of the promotion squad.

Graham Potter:

Under the radar, Graham Potter is having a really excellent first season at Swansea where he has harnessed an excellent crop of young players to play some eye catching, tidy football in a mid-table season. Though finishing mid-table isn't quite the most appealing characteristic, it's about where their playing squad belongs at this point in their rebuild following relegation whilst 9 of their 13 most used footballers this season are aged 24 or younger.

The Swans didn't even reach £10m spent in their first summer back in the Championship yet with Potter's coaching and some smart recruitment, Swansea are set up for the future with their cavalcade of prospects (including Dan James who was subject of £12m interest of Leeds in January). Potter has taken a tough situation and Swansea are 100% in a better place now than where they were when he took over and that is always a good sign of excellent coaching, this amongst some chaos and confusion in the upper management.

Graham Potter is a modern footballing man and a 'proper' football coach. He wants his teams to play good football, is happy to work with young players but brings all the values you want in the current footballing climate. Whilst he may not be 'keen' on leaving a club that offered him such a great opportunity, a bigger budget and life in London could tempt him. I think Potter has shown he's no fluke or novelty, he's a bright, young coach who will be in the Premier League soon enough, it'd be nice if Fulham were that club.

Slavisa Jokanovic:

I won't go on too long, but Slavisa Jokanovic was in the top 5 of Fulham Twitter's picks to be the next permanent Fulham manager. After the Ranieri experiment, it seems supporters may be showing their fickle side and saying "oh, it wasn't quite you." I hated the sacking at the time but to go into that side is another post for another day.
?We know what we get from Slavisa Jokanovic teams, it's passing, attacking football that saw us become one of the more entertaining, appealing and eye catching teams in recent Championship history. We saw improvement with each year despite the club forcing a rebuild level of player movement with each window and that's promising.

I don't see this happening, but I wouldn't hate it.

Lee Johnson:
?Perhaps aided by the 'Fulham' connection, his father Gary (current manager of Torquay United), grew up in Fulham and is allegedly a Fulham supporter. This has probably led to Fulham eyes more so than usual but his success already in his career before the age of 40 is commendable.

Lee Johnson got his first managerial job at Oldham at the age of 31, his first season was amidst a successful relegation battle. In his first full season, he rebuilt the squad and took the club to their highest ever finish in League One. He left Oldham for Barnsley in February 2016 where he stayed for a year before moving to Bristol City. Like at Oldham, Johnson has taken Bristol City from relegation contenders to play off pushers and this is despite a fairly frequent turnaround of players (since taking charge, he's had to deal with the losses of: Jonathan Kodjia, Tammy Abraham, Luke Freeman, Aden Flint, Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan).

Johnson's team impressed at Craven Cottage in our promotion campaign, displaying high pressing and quick interplay were rewarded making a squad that would ultimately go down as one of the most entertaining in the division as very ordinary. We were naturally quite disappointed when later that season we went to Ashton Gate and Bristol City played long ball, long throw and 'kick-em' football but I believe that to be a tactical decision against us (which was odd given performance earlier in the season). Johnson has dealt with adversity, receiving death threats and calls for his resignation but has won the Bristol City supporters around after the board kept faith (importantly). Lee Johnson also has an EFL Cup run to his name, a semi final no less that was ended by Manchester City and were a 92nd minute Sergio Aguero goal from a draw at the Etihad and a 96th minute Kevin De Bruyne winner from a draw at Ashton Gate – along this run, Johnson's side knocked out Watford, Crystal Palace and Manchester United.

In terms of availability, it's easy to sit here and say "why wouldn't he join Fulham?" But Johnson has been shown faith, they've let him work through hard periods and he knows he's backed by wealthy investors in the football club (not near Shahid Khan's billions but billions nonetheless). We chewed up and spat out the saviour to our time in the Championship because the players purchased for him were poor and didn't fit – so why would Johnson leave his situation for this?

Johnson is an intriguing option, and according to my Twitter feedback, is the popular option. I wouldn't be unhappy for sure, but whether he's the best option? I would have some doubts. Though to be fair, there's doubts for every manager – no one is truly 'risk free' – which is why you shouldn't throw away a good one for a poor run of form...

Honourable mentions:

Daniel Stendel (Barnsley), Steve Clarke (Kilmarnock), Dean Smith (Aston Villa), Aitor Karanka (unattached), Carlos Carvalhal (unattached), Nathan Jones (Stoke City), David Wagner (unattached).

And a couple from me not mentioned by others: Alex Neil (Preston North End) and Michael Appleton (unattached).

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/03/ranieris-replacements/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker can 'do an Ole Gunnar Solskjaer' at Fulham, says Barry Hayles

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker can do a similar job to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Manchester United, says Barry Hayles.

Parker took the reigns at Craven Cottage until the end of season after Claudio Ranieri's departure on Thursday with his first game in charge against west London rivals Chelsea on Sunday, live on Sky Sports.

Ranieri managed just three wins in 17 matches over a four-month spell and Wednesday's 2-0 defeat to Southampton left Fulham 10 points from safety in the Premier League, with 10 matches to play.

When asked if Parker could do a similar job to United caretaker boss Solskjaer, who has recorded nine wins from his first 11 Premier League games, former Fulham striker Hayles said: "I can't see why not.

"He's a young, fresh manager with new ideas. First and foremost he's got to sort out the backline.

Scott Parker made 119 league appearances for Fulham from 2013 to 2017

"The way that Scott Parker played, he had a bit of bite, and I think this Fulham team have been lacking that throughout the season.

"Darren Moore was at a similar situation at West Brom. He went down with them and made them a good solid outfit who can maybe bounce back [to the Premier League]. So why can't Fulham do that too?"

Parker's appointment as caretaker manager followed Ranieri's dismissal and the Italian has faced some criticism, including from former Fulham defender Tony Gale, who questioned his "strange" selection policy.

However, he was defended by Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson, who said Ranieri "did nothing professionally" to deserve being sacked.

"I think the fans got him the boot really," Hayles added. "I went to a few games and there were chats of 'You don't know what you're doing' and all that. I think it was on the cards."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11651493/scott-parker-can-do-an-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-at-fulham-says-barry-hayles

WhiteJC

BAFFLED Claudio Ranieri's sacking as Fulham manager is 'crazy', blasts Ian Holloway on talkSPORT

The Premier League-winning boss has departed Craven Cottage after just 106 days in charge

Fulham have been blasted for their 'crazy' decision to sack Claudio Ranieri as manager after just 106 days in charge.

Ian Holloway has told talkSPORT the Cottagers' problems started long before Ranieri arrived and that the decision is harsh on the Premier League-winning coach.

Ranieri's Craven Cottage departure was confirmed on Thursday, following the previous day's 2-0 defeat away at Southampton, with first-team coach Scott Parker taking over as caretaker.

The Italian only took over in November after the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic, but he has won only three of his 17 games in charge of the London side and now leaves with the club 19th in the table and a massive nine points from safety.

Despite failing to mastermind a turnaround, though, Holloway insists Ranieri wasn't given enough time and that Fulham's problems stemmed from a difficult adjustment from Championship to Premier League football.

Speaking on Friday's Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former QPR, and Blackpool boss said: "What can you do in that time?

"Crazy. I think it's crazy. It's a travesty that you can change managers so quickly.

"I think [Fulham's tough return to the top flight] has been more about their style of play.

Fulham sealed promotion via the Championship play-offs last season

"Jokanovic did a brilliant job at Fulham, they dominated the ball when they got up out of the Championship. They were so good in that period, wonderful, you couldn't get the ball off them.

"But you can't do that in the Premier League and that was the problem, Jokanovic still tried to do that.

"They've had all sorted of issues. When you spend that amount of money when you first go up, you can cause a problem in the dressing room.

"If you are the players who have got Fulham up, and you see £100million worth of other players coming in, you're bound to think 'how much is he on, how much is he on'. You lose the balance of your squad and if they get into the team before you...

"You look at their midfield trio last season – Kevin McDonald Stefan Johansen Tom Cairney – you couldn't get the ball off them, they were absolutely fantastic.

"Now, are they going to be good enough to do that and dominate the ball in the Premier League? Probably not, but I would have given them a go at it.

"Ruben Nevez at Wolves has looked good enough, because Nuno [Espirito Santo – Wolves boss] didn't change anything. Yes, he may have added one or two, but not wholesale changes like at Fulham."

https://talksport.com/football/503196/claudio-ranieri-fulham-ian-holloway-talksport/

WhiteJC

Replica Kit Sale

Whites fans are now able to take advantage of our replica kit sale, with great savings to be had on our Away and Goalkeeper Kits!

Pick up an 18/19 adult Away Shirt for £40 (RRP £55) with juniors now priced at £25 (RRP £40). Both Goalkeeper shirts are now £35 for adults (RRP £55), and £25 for juniors (RRP £45).

Don't forget all junior shirts can have the Fulham FC Foundation logo – as worn by the First Team in our 3-2 win over Southampton in November – applied free of charge when purchasing a shirt from the Stadium Store.

In addition, you can complete the look with shorts and socks also reduced, and personalisation also available to purchase.

Fans can shop now both instore and online.

All products are subject to availability.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/01/replica-kit-sale

WhiteJC

Merson predicts Chelsea will thrash Fulham

Paul Merson has predicted that Chelsea will add to Fulham's woes by thrashing them in Sunday's west London derby at Craven Cottage.

Former Fulham and Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker will be at the helm for the first time after being installed as caretaker boss following the Whites' sacking of Claudio Ranieri.

But pundit Merson sees no respite for relegation-threatened Fulham, who lost at Southampton this week, and has predicted that Chelsea will beat them 4-0.

In fact, Merson believes Chelsea have "turned a corner" after beating rivals Tottenham.

In his predictions for Sky Sports, the former Arsenal and England forward said: "Chelsea. How many? How many do you want?

"Chelsea have turned a corner, raised the bar and set an example. I expect them to go here and win this comfortably. These two are chalk and cheese.

"It looked like Fulham downed tools the other night, they didn't look interested, and looked like a relegated team.

"If they play like that against Chelsea, who are far better than Southampton, it's going to be a comfortable result."

Meanwhile, Merson has predicted that his former club Arsenal will draw 2-2 with Tottenham in this weekend's north London derby.

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/chelsea/sky-pundit-predicts-chelsea-will-thrash-fulham-in-derby-clash/

WhiteJC

Report: David Moyes and Wagner on Fulham's wish list to replace Claudio Ranieri

Premier League strugglers Fulham are reportedly eyeing Moyes, Wagner, Bristol City coach Lee Johnson and Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke.

David Moyes is among a number of front-runners to replace Claudio Ranieri at Fulham, as reported by the Express.

Ranieri has sacked by the Cottagers on Thursday after winning just three of his 17 games in charge, a record which leaves the West Londoners ten points adrift of safety in the Premier League with two months of the season remaining.

Scott Parker has taken charge on an interim basis but it seems that Fulham have already drawn up a list of potential full-time replacements.

Moyes, who has been looking to get back into the game after leaving West Ham in May 2018, is understood to be one name in their sights.

Steve Clarke is also under consideration, having done a fine job north of the border with Kilmarnock. The 55-year-old, a former coach at Chelsea, told the Daily Record this week that he will return to England once his time in Ayrshire comes to an end.

The Express also name-checks David Wagner, the highly-rated German who led Huddersfield Town to the top flight in 2017. Wagner has plenty of Championship experience and could be the man to help Fulham adapt to the second division with relegation looking a certainty.

The Mirror (1 March, page 69) has also thrown Lee Johnson's hat into the ring. At 37, he is one of the most exciting young managers in English football with his unfancied Bristol City side situated in the Championship play-off places.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/01/do-report-david-moyes-and-wagner-on-fulhams-wishlist-to-replace/

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri wishes Fulham and Scott Parker good luck as he leaves training ground

Claudio Ranieri has visited Fulham's players and staff for the final time and wished caretaker-manager Scott Parker all the best for the future.

Ranieri, who was sacked by the club on Thursday after less than four months in charge, said his goodbyes at the training ground on Friday.

Parker has been placed in temporary charge for the remaining 10 games of the season, with Fulham 10 points adrift of safety in the Premier League relegation zone.

Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports News as he left the training ground, Ranieri said: "I thanked all the players for their efforts. That is football and good luck."

When asked if Parker will do a good job as interim boss, Ranieri added: "I hope, because he is a very good guy. He is very attentive. I wish him all the best."

Ranieri replaced Slavisa Jokanovic at Craven Cottage in November but managed just three wins in his 17 matches.

Asked why he thought things had not worked out, the Italian said: "I don't know. In 2018, we did a very good job with some good points and after it was unbelievable.

"Every shot [against us] was a goal. For us it was very hard to get back. Also, when we scored early we would then concede a goal and draw or lose the match. This is football, it's okay."

Parker's first game in charge will be against his former club Chelsea on Sunday, live on Sky Sports, before fixtures against Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester City.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11651617/claudio-ranieri-wishes-fulham-and-scott-parker-good-luck-as-he-leaves-training-ground

WhiteJC

Manager is 'best placed' to take Fulham job after Claudio Ranieri exit

Following the news that Claudio Ranieri was sacked by Fulham after managing just three wins in 17 games, Scott Parker was announced as the caretaker going forward.

While there's hope the former Cottager will be able to follow in the footsteps of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and turn things around dramatically, the likelihood is it will be a tough job and saving the club from relegation might just be out of most candidates' reach.

That being said, this hasn't stopped Fulham from already drawing up a list of potential men for the job, which, according to AS in Spain, includes Victor Sanchez del Amo.

The former Olympiakos boss had already been touted as Ranieri's potential replacement before the Italian was fired, and his departure will have done nothing to dispel the rumours.

AS explain Sanchez del Amo is the 'best placed' for the job, but don't say much else.

Having already fired two managers this season, it might be best for Fulham to wait and not rush into anything.

On the flip side, time isn't what the club is blessed with these days.

It's a tough situation, but maybe giving Parker one or two games to try and pick up some points with his ideas could be beneficial.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manager-best-placed-take-fulham-job-claudio-ranieri-exit/

WhiteJC

'Destined to manage at the top' – PL club eyeing Bristol City main man: Opinion

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson has been linked with a possible move to Fulham after the sacking of Claudio Ranieri.

The Premier League side are now looking for their third manager this season, after firing Slavisa Jokanovic who managed to get them into the top flight last season.

The Daily Mirror reports that Johnson, along with Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke, is one of the names being considered for the role after former Leicester City boss Ranieri was sacked just 106 days into his tenure.

Fulham are 19th in the top flight and on course for an immediate return to the Championship.

37-year-old Johnson has taken his Bristol City side to sixth in the current Championship table, with a real chance of making the play-offs at the end of the season.

He began his managerial career at just 31, taking over at Oldham in 2013. Is he ready to now make the step up to the top flight, or will it be one leap too far?

Our FLW panel discuss.

Louie Chandler

"I think he is.

"I don't think Fulham would be the right move for him, however. We have seen this season how trigger happy they can be and he will need a club with more patience.

"But he is clearly a brilliant manager who is destined to manage at the top."

Jay Taylor

"I think it would be a similar move as Huddersfield – accepting their fate and planning for next season.

"I think Johnson would be a great job at Fulham with the resources they undoubtedly have.

"Moving to the Premier League club now would be just to assess his side ahead of a return to the Championship."

George Harbey

"I definitely think he is.

He has done an excellent job at Bristol City, especially with the way he has coped without Bobby Reid, Aden Flint and Joe Bryan this season.

He's still young, and has a massive future in management."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/destined-to-manage-at-the-top-pl-club-eyeing-bristol-city-main-man-opinion/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker tasked with lifting gloom at Fulham as he plans return to Slavisa Jokanovic football

Scott Parker has already inspired Fulham to one unlikely turnaround this season. Even if it appears relegation is inevitable, the way he provoked their second-half fightback against Brighton shows he could be the man to restore some pride at Craven Cottage.

Trailing 2-0 at the break in a must-win game in January, it was Parker who delivered a rallying cry that revived Fulham for a blazing comeback to win 4-2.

Fulham now need Parker to galvanise them again after he was named caretaker manager on Thursday after Claudio Ranieri was sacked after just 106 days.

Parker's appointment was more than nine years in the planning. He started coaching during his time at Tottenham. John McDermott, the club's head of coaching and player development, pushed him into it and he trained youngsters like Harry Winks and Josh Onomah while doing his coaching badges in his spare time.

He did his Uefa Pro Licence course, a mandatory qualification for managers in the Premier League, during his time at Fulham. Since he hung up his boots in 2017 at the age of 36, Parker's path always looked likely to end up with him one day being a top-flight manager.

Parker joined Spurs as an Under-18 coach but after a year took up an offer to take a first-team role at Fulham under Slavisa Jokanovic. He stayed when Ranieri arrived and now takes over with Fulham 10 points from safety with 10 games left and facing a tough run-in.

He did his Uefa Pro Licence course, a mandatory qualification for managers in the Premier League, during his time at Fulham. Since he hung up his boots in 2017 at the age of 36, Parker's path always looked likely to end up with him one day being a top-flight manager.

Parker joined Spurs as an Under-18 coach but after a year took up an offer to take a first-team role at Fulham under Slavisa Jokanovic. He stayed when Ranieri arrived and now takes over with Fulham 10 points from safety with 10 games left and facing a tough run-in.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/scott-parker-tasked-with-lifting-gloom-at-fulham-as-he-plans-return-to-slavisa-jokanovic-football-a4080226.html

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri: 5 Managerial Candidates to Take Over at Fulham After the Italian's Departure

Fulham announced on Thursday that Claudio Ranieri would become their second managerial casualty of the season after a run of four consecutive defeat left them firmly in the relegation zone.

Scott Parker has taken over their reigns at Craven Cottage as their new caretaker manager, but Fulham's hierarchy will be wasting no time at all in starting their hunt for a new head coach in one last desperate attempt to avoid relegation back to the Championship.

Here are a handful of names which could be linked with the job as their search for a new manager gets underway.

Sam Allardyce
If you're in the aftermath of sacking your manager and still in the relegation zone, it's sod's law that Sam Allardyce will be linked with taking over in the dugout.

The former England boss guarantees effective football which more often than not works wonders for teams at the wrong end of the table, but Fulham appears to be too far gone for even Big Sam to rescue them from Championship football next season.

Combining the fact that Fulham's fate already seems to be set in stone, there seems little point in making an appointment which would go down like a lead balloon in the terraces at Craven Cottage.

Scott Parker
It's going to be a baptism of fire for Scott Parker as he prepares to take over as Fulham's new caretaker manager.

But given how Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has turned things around at Manchester United, former Fulham midfielder Parker could be the perfect manager to start a new chapter in the club's history - even if that means going down to come back up.

There aren't many around who know the club quite like Parker, so who better to get the players - and more importantly the fans - back on side.

Slaviša Jokanović
It feels like just yesterday that we were thinking about potential managers who could replace Slaviša Jokanović at Fulham. But three months after the Serbian's departure, we're back to square one.

Managers returning to their former club after being sacked isn't unheard of, but for that to happen all within the same season is alien at the highest level of professional football.

That was until AS Monaco parted ways with Leonardo Jardim earlier this year, only to bring the 44-year-old back in at the Stade Louis II three months later following a disastrous spell in Ligue 1 without him.

Thierry Henry
Speaking of AS Monaco and disasters...

The former Arsenal striker was brought in by Monaco in between Jardim's two spells with the club, but it proved to be a nightmare in Henry's first managerial gig.

Having previously been linked with a job in the Championship with Aston Villa, however, a clean slate could be exactly what Henry needs to prove he has what it takes to one day become a manager at one of Europe's biggest clubs.

Steve Clarke
It might not be an appoint which will get the hearts racing at Craven Cottage, but there are few better suited to the Fulham job than former West Brom and Reading manager Steve Clarke.

The 55-year-old moved back to Scotland after managerial gigs dried up south of the border, having last worked as a full-time head coach during the 2014/15 season before being moved into the backroom staff at Aston Villa.

He's spent the last 18 months with Kilmarnock and helped them fifth place finish in his first season in charge, arriving after the campaign had already started to replace Lee McCulloch in October.

Clarke's revitalised Killie are on course for a similar finish this season, but their manager could be convinced of a return to England if it means another shot in the Premier League.

Others
David Moyes
- The former Manchester United manager was last on the books with West Ham in 2018.

David Wagner - Compatriot Jan Siewert took over the reins at Huddersfield Town earlier this year as the Terriers looked to find a way off the foot of the table.

Carlos Carvalhal - Professional football has been without the Portuguese manager's Cantona-esc phrases since the end of the 2017/18 season.

Gary Rowett - The former Birmingham manager's big break was meant to come at Stoke City but the Potters released him after the turn of the year, although he still has a big reputation in the football league.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6308449-claudio-ranieri-5-managerial-candidates-to-take-over-at-fulham-after-the-italian-s-departure?utm_source=RSS

WhiteJC

Denis Odoi offers brutally honest answer about Fulham's struggles in the Premier League

The Whites are now on their third manager of the season after sacking Claudio Ranieri after defeat at Southampton

Denis Odoi has offered a brutal answer about Fulham's struggles in the Premier League - 'maybe we aren't good enough for this level at the moment'.

The side have only won four games all season and on their third manager of the campaign after Shahid Khan took the decision to sack Claudio Ranieri after defeat at Southampton left them ten points adrift of safety.

It's a campaign of stark contrast to the one they enjoyed last season - Fulham went on a 23-game unbeaten run in the second half of the season to charge into the play-offs and win them, beating Aston Villa at Wembley while gaining plaudits for their attacking style of play.

That led people to believe that the side could go further than just merely survive this season, but a horrid year has seen them on their third manager as they face immediate relegation back to the second tier.

Only four players played at St Mary's that played in the play-off final after a spending spree of over £100million saw 12 new signings come in, but Odoi isn't prepared to blame those new faces for their troubles, instead suggesting maybe they just aren't the players they were last season.

Odoi said: "The guys that are here that we brought in are guys with quality and guys that give everything. I am not going to blame them.

"Are we the players from last year? Maybe we are also not good enough for this level at the moment. I don't know.

"I am not going to say there are too many changes. That's not up to me.

(Image: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

"It doesn't matter who is playing. For the moment, it is not good enough in general whether it is four players from the play-off playing or one or ten."

It does look like a case of when, not if, Fulham are relegated this season and that in itself will lead to even more problems for the club during the summer.

They would do well to hang on to the likes of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has proven he is more than capable of playing in the top flight, as well as Tom Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon who fell right out of favour with Ranieri during his 106-day spell at the club.

Khan said that Fulham rejected over £100m of bids for players in January but it looks likely they won't be able to do the same during the summer, and while Odoi knows that's what football entails he is hopeful more quality will be brought in to replace those they lose.

He added: "I mean for one Mitrovic has shown that he has quality to play in the Premier League. I think obviously there are going to be teams that are interested in his services.

"Sessegnon has shown he is a promising talented footballer, so obviously teams are looking at him. It is what it is.

"I think three years ago when I arrived a lot of new players came in. The first year we played the semi-finals of the play-offs and then the second year we managed to get promotion.

"If players leave hopefully we get other players that have quality."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/denis-odoi-offers-brutally-honest-15901463

WhiteJC

Brighton boss Hughton doesn't think Huddersfield and Fulham are already doomed

Brighton boss Chris Hughton has dismissed suggestions that fellow strugglers Huddersfield and Fulham are already condemned to Premier League relegation.

Bottom club Huddersfield are 13 points adrift of safety with 10 games remaining, while the Cottagers, who sacked manager Claudio Ranieri on Thursday, are three points better off.

After beating Fulham in midweek, Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl implied the bottom two clubs could not recover, leaving "five or six" teams competing to avoid 18th place.

But Hughton, whose side sit two points above the drop zone ahead of Saturday's visit of Huddersfield, feels it is wrong to write them off.

"I certainly wouldn't say that. I wouldn't say that anybody has gone," said Hughton.

"I think it's very unfair on the two teams that are down there to say that.

"I think everybody is fighting. I think there are a few other clubs that can get sucked into that.

"We are one team that are amongst a group of teams that if we don't get the results very much could fall into that."

Huddersfield, who were promoted alongside Brighton in 2017, recorded an overdue victory by beating Wolves on Tuesday evening.

It was a first success for new Terriers manager Jan Siewert and ended a 14-game winless run in the league which began at home to Albion on December 1.

Hughton thinks the West Yorkshire club's struggles are understandable and believes they will need to recreate the spirit shown at the end of last season under David Wagner to pull off another great escape.

"It shows how difficult it is for any team that comes into the division, so it doesn't surprise me," said Hughton.

"You're up against sides that have spent a lot of money and have more experience in this league.

"But I thought they were brilliant towards the end of last season and for where they are at this moment they'll need that again.

"They're on the back of a result which lifted them and they'll be looking for the same again."

After being in the relative comfort of mid-table for a number of weeks, Brighton's own league position has become concerning.

The Seagulls are the only club in England's top four divisions without a league victory in 2019 and could end the weekend in the bottom three.

Hughton, who wants his team to tighten up defensively, fears slipping into the drop zone may have a detrimental impact on the mentality of his squad.

"Psychologically it gives you a big boost not to be in that bottom three," he said.

"There are still plenty of games to go and there will be lots of twists and turns in the positioning in that bottom group.

"Sometimes it's about going back to basics but without losing what we have offensively because you only win games by scoring goals.

"But, yes, I think we have to get back to thinking about keeping clean sheets."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/brighton-boss-hughton-doesnt-think-huddersfield-and-fulham-are-already-doomed

WhiteJC

Steve Clarke wanted by Fulham, Premier League side are big fans of Kilmarnock boss

Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke is a target for English Premier League side Fulham as they look to find a replacement for Claudio Ranieri, who was sacked this week after losing to relegation rivals Southampton.

The Daily Express reports the Scot is one of the managers on the Londoners' radar. Clarke held talks with Fulham in 2015 but decided to remain at Reading.

Despite the Cottagers ownership changing, there are still "influential figures" who rate the 55-year-old, according to the Express.

Clarke has won plaudits for his work with Kilmarnock, taking them from the Scottish Premiership basement to the upper echelons of the top flight and challenging for Europe.

His wealth of experience south of the Border - coaching spells with Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and West Ham as well as management gigs with Reading and West Brom - makes him a strong candidate.

Clarke this week reiterated his desire to return to England with his comments coming in the wake of a row over sectarian abuse aimed at the Kilmarnock boss during his side's recent William Hill Scottish Cup clash with Rangers at Ibrox.

The Rugby Park side would not want to lose Clarke, but would be well compensated due to the ex-St Mirren defender signing a new contract recently.

Fulham currently sit ten points adrift at the bottom of the English Premier League. Slavisa Jokanovic was tasked with leading the club into the top flight but despite spending more than £100 million on players he was sacked in November with the club bottom of the table. His replacement Ranieri managed just three wins and three draws in 17 games.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/kilmarnock/steve-clarke-wanted-by-fulham-premier-league-side-are-big-fans-of-kilmarnock-boss-1-4881741

WhiteJC

Collins Column: The Ranieri Effect

Disasters aren't always about the results you get and the points on the board, although those figures aren't exactly kind to Claudio either, looking back at his tenure at Craven Cottage. Some things are a little bit more subtle. Jack J Collins takes a deeper dive into the reign of Claudio Ranieri.

Let's start by looking at the statistics here – and Ranieri's term at the club doesn't look as bad as first thought. Comparing his tenure to that of his predecessor, Slavisa Jokanovic, he won more games, got more points per game, scored at almost the same rate and conceded at a lower rate; which is, whichever way you look at it, a statistical improvement.

CR: P16, W3, D3, L10, S15, C32
SJ: P12, W1, D2, L9, S11, C31

But what people outside of Fulham will never be able to understand, and what we've come to learn ourselves from watching this Ranieri side, is that there are things that don't show up when you look at things in such a manner, which leaves no room for artistry, or style, or passion, or heart, or any of the things which are part of why this game is so beloved.

Footballing identities are hard things to build, and genuine starlets with the club in their hearts are even rarer in the modern game. Within 106 days, Claudio managed to all but erode the former, and decimate the confidence of the latter – leaving Fulham rudderless, devoid of the creative spark which we had grown to love; and isolating Ryan Sessegnon to the point where he looked so much a shadow of his former self that there were times where I thought I'd imagined his dazzling season last year.

The frustrating thing is that it all felt so avoidable – the insistence on five at the back against Palace when returning to four had paid such dividends against Brighton less than a week before; the orders on the full backs to check back instead of bombing on which left the Whites with a devastatingly obvious lack of width or options; the refusal to play a 10, leaving a player of Tom Cairney's technical ability floundering position-less.

His refusal to trust Sessegnon and Cairney, who not only are fan favourites but also represent (looking at it in the cold light of day) some of the club's best assets in a monetary sense is something that makes no sense in either the short term or the long-run – it alienated supporters and, you can imagine, the squad. Cairney's comments in particular stand out, actively questioning the manager's approach, which suggests a divide between philosophy of the management and the players themselves.

For a man who we expected to showcase at least man management skills, Ranieri's catenaccio-influenced obsession with keeping clean sheets blinded him to the obvious truth that this side's quality is better harnessed going forward and keeping the ball, as showcased during the Brighton game. Whilst he was brought in to shore the defence up, adding an extra man and basically refusing to allow any of that five to move forwards is not coaching brilliance, it's sticking a plaster over a gaping wound and hoping that it will heal. It didn't, and the plaster didn't work.

Whilst I have no doubt that he meant well, and was an affable character on the whole, his approach left Fulham stuck between stations and it is obvious that the flexibility needed to mould a squad is not something in Claudio's locker. But he has departed these lands, and for now at least, Scotty's at the wheel. He's learned under Jokanovic and Pochettino, and for a man with genuine football nous and the respect of the dressing room, there is something to be gained here.

Survival is too far away, I fear, but there is pride and respect to be salvaged from this season. A derby upset, a hand in the title race, some attacking football, the bond between the boys on the pitch and those in the stands restored. Floor the accelerator Scotty, we've not enjoyed being stuck in reverse.

You Whites.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-03-01-collins-column-the-ranieri-effect/

WhiteJC

Chelsea vs Fulham could be Maurizio Sarri's FINAL game after Kepa Arrizabalaga 'shambles'

MAURIZIO SARRI could be sacked if this weekend's game against Fulham doesn't go Chelsea's way.

That's according to former Blues and Celtic midfielder Craig Burley, ahead of Sunday's west London derby.

Sarri's authority as Chelsea manager was badly undermined by Kepa Arrizabalaga during last Sunday's Carabao Cup final.

The goalkeeper refused to be substituted against Manchester City with a penalty shoot-out looming.

Kepa and his manager publicly put the situation down to a misunderstanding following the defeat.

But Chelsea subsequently fined the £71.6m stopper one week's wages and dropped him for Wednesday's win over Tottenham.

Burley labelled the situation at his former club 'shambolic', and said he wouldn't be shocked if Sarri was sacked.

"This saga - and it was a short saga - should be left in the past now," he told ESPN FC.

"It was dealt with quite shambolically to be quite frank. The PR there was not good.

"And I don't know if Kepa is going to play against Fulham. I thought he would be dropped [against Tottenham] and he was.

"Caballero might get another game because their next opponents Fulham are struggling, but who knows?

"But you just get the feeling at the moment that every game could be the last for Sarri.

"We just don't know because they got a very good result against Tottenham.

"Now they go to Fulham where they're absolutely expected to win but the pressure is back on for Sarri because Arsenal and Man Utd are winning."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/762800/Chelsea-news-Fulham-Maurizio-Sarri-Kepa-Craig-Burley-ESPN-latest?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-football+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29