watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (02/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 02, 2019, 06:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Where Claudio Ranieiri's Fulham reign ranks among the Premier League's shortest managerial stints

Management in the Premier League is tough, and for some it's so tough that they barely get their head around the gig before it's over.

In the two-and-a-half years since winning the Premier League, Claudio Ranieri has been sacked twice, by both Leicester City and Fulham. His spell at Fulham lasted just 106 days, one of the shortest reigns in Premier League history – excluding caretakers.

But who holds the shortest, most inconsequential Premier League managerial stints? Read on to find out who is keeping Ranieri company in an unwanted section of the record books.

8. Claudio Ranieri

Club: Fulham

Number of league games managed: 16

Days in charge: 106

The magical tinker man who won the Premier League with Leicester in 2016 sadly kicked the bucket at Fulham just a few months after it all began.

Ranieri took over in November with the club looking to improve their chances of Premier League survival following the sacking of Slavisa Jokanovic.

As boss at Fulham, Ranieri managed three wins in 16, but leaves the club in 19th in the Premier League with to near-non existent chances of staying up  – they are currently 10 points off Southampton in 17th-place.

Along with 11 league defeats came a FA Cup third-round exit at home to League Two side Oldham.

7. Tony Adams

Club managed: Portsmouth

Number of league games managed: 15

Days in charge: 106

The former Arsenal stalwart won just two league games in charge at Portsmouth, earning 10 points from a possible 45 overall.

With a point-per-game ratio of 0.67, Adams' time on the south coast will be remembered as totally anathema to his proud playing days.

6. Colin Todd

Club: Derby County

Number of league games managed: 16

Days in charge: 98

The doomed Derby boss managed to win four games while in charge of Derby in 2001; he was swiftly sacked and the Rams were relegated that season in 19th spot.

The former Nottingham Forest defender managed a points average of 0.88 per game over the course of his 98 days at the helm.

5. Terry Connor

Clubs: Wolverhampton Wanderers

Number of league games managed: 13

Days in charge: 91

Initially named caretaker following Mick McCarthy's departure in 2012, Connor was soon named official Wolves manager for the remainder of the season as the club tried to fight off relegation.

But in his 13 games in charge Connor managed to gain just four points, failing to win a single match as Wolves finished 20th and returned to the Championship.

4. Bob Bradley

Club: Swansea

Number of league games managed: 11

Days in charge: 85

Bradley was seen as America's finest active manager for a while before he got his somewhat surprising move to Wales in 2016. The coach had been in charge at a number of MLS clubs before a relatively successful stint in charge of the US men's national team between 2006 and 2011.

After a job in charge of Egypt and a nomadic set of European clubs, Bradley was appointed manager at Liberty Stadium.

In taking over the hot seat, Bradley became the first American manager to work in the Premier League, though his tenure didn't last long, as he lost seven of his 11 league games.

The Swans were 19th when Bradley was sacked 85 days after being given the reins.

3. Frank de Boer

Club: Crystal Palace

Number of league games managed: 4

Days in charge: 77

Frank de Boer was seen as an accomplished manager off the back of his successful spell at Ajax, where he won four consecutive Eredivisie titles – the first manager to do so in Holland's top flight.

But that's where the good stuff ends. Although De Boer was in the mix for the vacant Spurs job, Tottenham ultimately went with Mauricio Pochettino, while De Boer went to Inter Milan in 2016 but was sacked after 14 games.

Things at Selhurst Palace... were even worse. Appointed as the manager in June 2017, the Dutchman was tasked with changing the image and style of Palace over a period of time, but he was out of a job 77 days later.

He departed after four-straight league defeats without scoring, though he did win one game in the League Cup.

2. Rene Meulensteen

Club: Fulham

Number of league games managed: 13

Days in charge: 75

The Dutchman was Alex Ferguson's right-hand man at United but was totally exposed when in the hot seat himself.

He managed just three league wins before he got the axe and was replaced by Felix Magath (who was also pretty terrible).

1. Les Reed

Club: Charlton Athletic

Number of league games managed: 7

Days in charge: 40

Reed was in charge of Charlton for seven games in 2006, but was actually at the helm in south-east London for just 40 games, making him the record-holder for the least number of days in charge of a Premier League football club.

Reed, who replaced Iain Dowie, registered one win, while his side were dumped out of the League Cup by League Two side Wycombe.

The media attacked him frequently, nicknaming him "Les Misérables" and "Santa Clueless". Reed was replaced by Alan Pardew.

Honourable mentions:

Steve Wigley

Club: Southampton

Number of games managed: 14

Days in charge: 107

Narrowly missing out on the worst eight, Wigley managed Southampton during what was a tumultuous time on the south coast. The Englishman was in charge of Southampton for 14 league games, winning just one, before ultimately getting the sack.

Jacques Santini

Club: Spurs

Number of games managed: 11

Days in charge: 154

The Frenchman left his role as France manager (announced during Euro 2004) for the Tottenham job, but while he guided France to the quarter-finals, his time at Spurs was fairly awful.

Santini's Spurs won three games in 11 league matches, and presided over the worst goalscoring start to a Premier League season by any Tottenham outfit; they had scored just six goals by the time he was sacked in early November.

A mix of personal problems and suspected disagreements over the running of the club with then Sporting Director Frank Armesen led to Santini tendering his resignation.

A job in charge of Auxerre followed but he hasn't managed a club since.

Sammy Lee

Club: Bolton

Number of games managed: 11

Days in charge: 170

Sammy Lee, as in 'Little Sam', was installed as permanent boss at Bolton following the sacking of 'Big Sam', Sam Allardyce.

Lee had been Allardyce's assistant at the club for his 371-game reign, but his own managerial stint wasn't quite as successful as the man whose team once had JayJay Okocha and Youri Djorkaeff in it.

The former Bolton player Lee won just one of his 11 league games, and like a few others on the list, was made to walk with his team in 19th. A tendency to always look on the bright side as the bad results kept rolling in didn't help.

Stints in the coaching staff at Liverpool, Bolton and Palace have since followed.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/en/news/the-eight-shortest-managerial-stints-in-premier-league-history/1084524#LWhKdBsCgl770hPL.99

WhiteJC

'Sir Alex found the time to send a long detailed message, which is truly inspirational': Scott Parker reveals Ferguson sent him a good luck text as Fulham's caretaker boss gets to work

Scott Parker has revealed he received a message from Sir Alex Ferguson
    Parker was named as Fulham's caretaker boss after Claudio Ranieri's sacking
    He took training for the first time on Friday ahead of the game against Chelsea
    Fulham are 10 points from safety with 10 games left to play in the top flight

Scott Parker wants the Fulham job on a full-time basis - and revealed he received a shock message from Sir Alex Ferguson detailing how to nail the role.

Parker has replaced Claudio Ranieri at the Craven Cottage helm, appointed caretaker manager on Thursday following the Italian's sacking.

The former England international admits he would like the role on a permanent basis - but knows the remaining 10 games of the season will likely determine if he can secure the job.

Scott Parker oversaw Fulham training for the first time since being named caretaker manager

The former Fulham midfielder will take charge of his first game against Chelsea on Sunday

Players were put through their paces as they look to avoid Premier League relegation

Star striker Aleksander Mitrovic smiles as he looks to dent Chelsea's top-four hopes

Parker says a text message from Manchester United legend Ferguson could help his challenge.

'I don't have many friends but yesterday my phone was pinging all the time,' said Parker. 'Sir Alex (Ferguson) found the time to send a long detailed message, giving me advice on how he sees things, which is truly inspirational.

'It's definitely an audition. On a personal note this is something I started working towards seven years ago when I was a Spurs player.

'I've got an ambition to be a manager. My main focus at this moment in time is getting the team together, finding some stability. 

'It's been a whirlwind 24 hours but I'm really looking forward to it. As a young person in this position, I'm very grateful.'

The former Charlton midfielder smiles as he takes his first press conference as Fulham boss

Midfield duo Tom Cairney and Kevin McDonald use each other to stretch out their legs

Luciano Vietto jumps on the back of Ryan Babel during one exercise in Friday's session

Calum Chambers and other Fulham's defenders have a tough task keeping Chelsea at bay

Ryan Sessegnon will be hoping he can improve upon his disappointing Premier League season

Parker was placed in charge of the first team after Claudio Ranieri's dismissal on Thursday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6760501/Scott-Parker-reveals-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-sent-good-luck-text.html

WhiteJC

Chelsea's Sarri wary of Fulham reaction following Ranieri sacking

Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri is wary of a reaction from Claudio Ranieri's sacking when he takes his side to Fulham on Sunday.

The Blues have enjoyed a mini-resurgence in performances, including in Wednesday's 2-0 win over Tottenham, to make Sarri's position less precarious.

But there has been a managerial change at Craven Cottage ahead of the west London derby.

Sarri said about compatriot Ranieri: "I'm really very sorry. But I know very well his character, so I know very well that we will see him very soon, on another bench.

"Usually when there is change of the coach there is a reaction. And so we have to front (face) also the reaction.

"Then it's very difficult for us to prepare the match, because we don't know the new system, the new ideas. It's a very difficult match, I think."

Sarri is yet to decide whether to restore Kepa Arrizabalaga in goal, after dropping the Spaniard for the Spurs win.

Willy Caballero started instead as Kepa was punished for his refusal to be substituted with penalties looming in last Sunday's Carabao Cup final with Manchester City. City won the shootout 4-3.

Kepa and Caballero are set to share goalkeeping duties on Sunday and in next week's Europa League last-16 first leg with Dynamo Kiev.

The 60-year-old Blues boss added: "The Kepa situation now is closed. Kepa is our first (choice) goalkeeper.

"But we are very happy for Willy, because now we know very well he's able to play also in a very difficult match.

"I'm sure in one of the two next matches Kepa will be on the pitch."

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-01/chelseas-sarri-wary-of-fulham-reaction-following-ranieri-sacking/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Chelsea
SUN 03 Mar 2019   Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker is a former club captain and made 128 appearances for the Cottagers

TEAM NEWS

Fulham forward Andre Schurrle, who scored a hat-trick for Chelsea at Craven Cottage in 2014, is a doubt to face his former club due to illness.

Long-term absentees Alfie Mawson and Marcus Bettinelli remain out.

Head coach Maurizio Sarri says Chelsea have no injury concerns, with Kepa in contention to replace Willy Caballero in goal.

Defender Davide Zappacosta is available to make a first appearance since 18 February following illness.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@Wilsonfooty: So Claudio Ranieri was the reluctant winner of the race to be the first Italian manager sacked by a west London club this season - at times it looked like a close run thing.

Fulham fans turned on Ranieri during Wednesday's defeat at Southampton, and inaction from the Khan ownership was no longer an option; Scott Parker takes over for now.

For 18 months Parker was something of a fringe player at Chelsea - think somewhere between Ross Barkley and Danny Drinkwater. Imagine the pressure he would heap on Maurizio Sarri should he somehow conjure a win for Fulham.

That's not likely, however. The last time any side failed to score at least twice in a game against Fulham it was still 2018, and that team was Huddersfield. Say no more.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker: "It's mixed emotions, what with sitting where we are in the league and Claudio losing his job.

"But the flip-side is one of excitement. I appreciate the opportunity and I'm really looking forward to it.

"It's definitely an audition. On a personal note this is something I started working towards seven years ago when I was a Spurs player.

"I've got an ambition to be a manager. My main focus at this moment in time is getting the team together, finding some stability."

Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri: "The Kepa situation now is closed. Kepa is our first [choice] goalkeeper.

"But we are very happy for Willy [Caballero], because now we know very well he's able to play also in a very difficult match.

"I'm sure in one of the next two matches Kepa will be on the pitch."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

I don't think the change of manager will make much difference to the outcome on Sunday, simply because Chelsea are a better team.

Prediction: 0-2

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

This is the 50th top-flight fixture between Fulham and Chelsea. The Cottagers have won only three of the previous 49 (D16, L30).
    Fulham's current run of 17 games without victory versus Chelsea is their longest top-flight winless streak against any opponent.

Fulham

Fulham have lost seven of their past eight Premier League games, conceding at least twice in every match.
    Their four league victories this season all came at home against teams in the bottom six prior to this weekend: Burnley, Southampton, Huddersfield and Brighton & Hove Albion.
    They have lost all nine of their Premier League London derby matches this season, and could become the first team in top-flight history to lose 10 such matches in one campaign.
    The last time the the Cottagers hosted Chelsea in the Premier League, Fulham forward Andre Schurrle scored a hat-trick for the away side in a 3-1 victory.

Chelsea

Chelsea's win against Tottenham was just a third in seven league matches, drawing one and losing three.
    They have lost their last three Premier League away games by an aggregate score of 12-0.
    The Blues could lose four successive away league matches for the first time since a run of five from October to December 2000 under Claudio Ranieri.
    They haven't gone four away league matches without scoring since December 1991.
    Chelsea have the same record after 27 Premier League matches as last season under Antonio Conte (W16, D5, L6).
    Pedro has scored eight Premier League goals this season under Maurizio Sarri, already double his tally in 2017-18 under Conte.
    Half of Pedro's league goals in 2018-19 have come in London derbies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47346960

WhiteJC

Fulham caretaker-manager Scott Parker reveals Sir Alex Ferguson advice
Former England midfielder hopes he can emulate the success of Manchester United caretaker-boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Scott Parker has revealed he received an 'inspirational' message from Sir Alex Ferguson congratulating him on his appointment as Fulham caretaker manager.

Parker was placed in charge of Fulham until the end of the season when Claudio Ranieri was sacked on Thursday, less than four months after replacing Slavisa Jokanovic at Craven Cottage.

The former England midfielder faces an imposing task to keep Fulham in the Premier League, with the west London club 10 points adrift of safety with 10 games remaining.

"I don't really have many friends, but yesterday the phone was pinging away," Parker said.

"I had some amazing text messages. Sir Alex text me late last night, which was pretty incredible really.

"To think that he spent the time to write a long, detailed message giving me some advice on how he sees things was truly inspirational really, and I know it sounds a big comment, but it's the truth."

Parker's first game in charge comes against his former club Chelsea on Sunday, live on Sky Sports, with challenging match-ups against Liverpool and Manchester City to follow later this month.

Ferguson's former club Manchester Untied have benefited from the caretaker appointment of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who has gone unbeaten in the Premier League since taking charge in December, and Parker hopes he can emulate the Norwegian.

Asked if he can have a similar impact to Solskjaer, Parker said: "I hope so. I really hope so.

"I hope I can bring an energy. I hope I can transmit my passion to the team.

"There's more to the game than just passion and drive, I get that, but that's a key fundamental in any top football club."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11651767/fulham-caretaker-manager-scott-parker-reveals-sir-alex-ferguson-advice

WhiteJC

Scott Parker transcript: Every word from his first press conference as Fulham caretaker boss

Here's what the new caretaker manager had to say in his first press conference at Hotspur Park

Sum up the emotions of getting the job?

It' mixed to be fair, in the sense that Claudio Ranieri has walked and the circumstance are what they and seeing where we are in the league.

He came in and was open arms with me and helping and I like to think I helped him at time, but on the flip side it's one of excitement, I appreciate the opportunity that the owners have given me and I'm looking forward to it in that sense.

It's a big job but I'm looking forward to it

What have you said to the players?

I had a meeting today and I think the main focus for this team over the course of the last few months and weeks, there has been a disconnect, certainly with the fans, and I tried to explain at times there's certain things you can't guarantee as a player.

Whether that is Mitrovic scoring a goal, whether that is Chambers making passes successfully, you can't guarantee that.

If there's one thing you can guarantee as a football player is you leave a passion and desire on a football pitch that is seen, it doesn't lie and that's the message I've given to the players.

There's a bigger picture in the detail of the work and tactics but at this moment in time I want our fans to look at a team of players at the end of 90 that have given everything and if they do that the result will be a by-product.

That's been the main focus and message in this short period of timing.

Is this an audition for beyond this season?

It's definitely an audition and on a personal note, this is something that I started seven years ago as a Spurs player doing my coaching badges.

It's a passion of mine, I had a year at Spurs which was invaluable to me coaching players and being around players and then my short period here was the same.

I have a dying ambition to be a manager, certainly at this present moment in time my main focus is trying to get the team together a little bit, a little stability, take a deep breath and work from there.

Any former managers been in touch?

Yea, literally, I don't have many friends but yesterday the phone was pinging away.

I had some amazing texts, Sir Alex text me late last night which was pretty incredible - to think he spent the time to write a long detailed message giving me some advice on how he sees things was truly inspirational.

It sounds a big comment but it's the truth.

We all understand the football world, there's times when it's despair or there's times when things are going well and you get a promotion and you see the love, certainly over the course of 24 hours the phone has been pinging.

What has Claudio said to you?

We all know what Claudio is like as a man - a true classy man in every sense and he came in this morning and addressed the players and we had a ten minute conversation in a room.

I thanked him for his time and effort with me and likewise the same, this is football and Claudio said to me we all understand how it works and when you've been involved in the game so long you realise the ups and downs and in this next part of my career certainly you understand these things happen and you haven't go the security you do as a player.

As a man he was a class act.

Chelsea first game and then City and Liverpool - think of the start?

The situation doesn't lie, it's a tough situation and regarding those games this is a bunch of players that last year were one of the best teams in the Championship, albeit they went up via the play-offs.

This was a team that went through a hard season in the Championship for these moments and, okay, it's a tough ask, but I know sitting in this position I'm relishing this opportunity against these top teams, players and coaches and the players will be too.

What do you think is realistically achievable?

I suppose yesterday when I got told the news, even over the course of the last few months and you look at the situation we're in, I think my main focus is to get a balance back and like everything, when you're involved in relegations and you're losing a lot of matches things can go off on different tangents and I feel that's where we are - as a club, as fans, players and ownership we need to regroup and I know if we do that, results will be a by-product from that.

I'm not going to sit here and say we can get out of it, I realise the task ahead is very difficult, but it's not mathematically impossible so certainly it's something we'll strive to do.

Think you can have the same effect as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?

I hope so, I really hope so.

I hope I can bring energy and transmit my passion to the team and I think there's more to the game than that, I get that, but that's a key fundamental in any top football club or player.

I'll be trying to transmit that.

Feel that passion may have been missing at times?

Yes, definitely.

I feel like at times this year we've been easy to play against and I feel that's why the fans have pulled away a bit.

I've sat there every week in the dugout, I've seen it with my own eyes at times, I can see the reason whys and this year at times I think we've been a little easy to play against.

We need to change that and need to address that and try do that in the coming weeks.

Own style and be own man, who can you draw most inspiration from?

I've had so many managers in my short career, there's all different things from different managers, good and bad, and I include the top ones I had a long the way that I've built up my own little ideas and philosophy of how I want to play and like I said, I've been under leadership of top managers really and took a bit of everything.

London derby - start against former club, how different does that feel as a manager?

I don't think it feels different in the sense I understand what is at stake and that it's a London derby against a very good football team.

In that sense it won't be different, but will be is you're standing on the outside hoping your 11 players on the field can transmit what you've put into them and sometimes you're powerless in that sense, but you like to think the work that goes in before it, you can get the outcome you want.

Any injuries?

The injuries are the usual - Alfie Mawson is still recovering from a knee injury, he may be back in April. Andre Schurrle is recovering from a virus and Marcus Bettinelli is more long term.

Scott Parker the manager

It sounds quite weird to be fair.

It's been a whirlwind 24 hours so looking forward to it and excited.

Your opportunity now?

It's a big opportunity for me, at the same time I understand the role and what is needed and my focus is the football club and the team and trying to pick up some results along the way.

Not bad getting a new job and having Sir Alex text you?

Yeah, there were loads of people in touch yesterday, congratulating and giving support which was amazing.

As a young manager or young person in this position in this present moment it's great.

Realistic player - what can you expect from this job this season?

I am a realist, I understand the situation, I've been in football a long time and I'm not silly to think I'm in a position here as just caretaker.

I look at Darren Moore who has done exceptionally well, but I don't want to keep repeating myself or that it's the go-to thing, but it's the truth, at this moment in time all I can focus on is the games ahead and try give the team as much support as I can and show my quality to the team and give them the detail they need and hopefully get results from that.

Been on the bench this season, most though Fulham would be fine pre-season, what went wrong?

It's like anything, when you're in a position we're in and lose games, everything that you feel is straight thinking, whether you're a manager, coach, player, becomes a bit blurry and as a player I was involved in relegation, I understand how it works and I feel that's where we are.

It's a time to regroup and take our breath and take our time a little bit.

We have some quality players, at the beginning of the season would you have predicted this? No, but certainly over the last few months things are a bit blurry in the players eyes and that's down to no one in particular, that's down to the fact you're in the best league in the world playing against the best players.

Things become difficult from that, things that are straight forward decisions, opportunities, all of a sudden become like they're massive and confidence becomes low, and that's where we are in a nutshell.

Do you have an advantage over Chelsea?

We're playing against a top class team, its a difficult game but like I said to the players, it's what they've worked for last year, go out there and express their quality and the most important thing is to make sure the 25k fans clap them knowing they gave everything.

How will you feel on Sunday?

It will be tough and it will be trying to get my message in the two days I have prior and over the course of the coming weeks. I want to give the players a real clear idea of what I expect, what the club expect and what the fans expect.

If I can can do that and they can translate that, I can't promise we'll win games but we'll be in a better place for sure.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/scott-parker-transcript-every-word-15907575

WhiteJC

Why Fulham are right to take a risk on Scott Parker

Claudio Ranieri's time as Fulham FC manager lasted just seventeen games. Only three were won. The 'sure thing' failed miserably. It has been some remarkable fall from grace for The Tinkerman, who was lifting the most unlikely of Premier League titles just a few years ago.

Perhaps the only thing that shocked me more than Ranieri getting sacked so soon was the replacement being named as Scott Parker. On the face of it, it came from left-field, but when you delve deeper, it makes perfect sense.

Parker, now aged 38, spent five great seasons at Craven Cottage. He was the base that teams were built around. The fans love him. He loves the fans. What does Fulham have to lose? Absolutely nothing.

The Cottagers are ten points away from Premier League safety. With just ten games left, it certainly looks as though Fulham will be heading back down to the Championship next season. If there's any situation to take a gamble with their appointment, now is the time. Parker has never managed before, so in all honesty, this could go from bad to worse, but at least they're giving themselves the slimmest of chances; rather than just watching the club sink back down into English football's second tier.

Fan favourite? Check. Intelligent and forward-thinker? Check. A willingness to learn? Check. Parker ticks all the boxes. In that regard, I liken him to Manchester United's Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appointment, albeit on a smaller scale. If anyone can boost morale inside that Fulham dressing room, it's Parker.

Looking at the upcoming fixtures, it's not going to be easy and Parker is certainly being thrown in at the deep-end. Three of their next four games are against Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City. It's unfair to judge him on results against those, rather games against Cardiff City, Newcastle and Bournemouth should be the ones you keep an eye on. By that point, the Englishman would have had time to settle in and begin to adapt the squad into one that fits his playing style.

Nobody is expecting miracles. It'll just be nice for Fulham fans to have belief. Their last two Premier League managers have been uninspiring and quite frankly, pretty boring. Parker is an exciting and bold choice. It'll certainly get bums on seats and lift the spirits for the short-term in the very least. It's always nice to see fresh opportunities given rather than the same old managerial merry-go-round names getting yet another shot. Sam Allardyce or Parker? For me, that's an easy one.

Now, this probably won't come as a shock to Fulham fans, but they'll probably still go down. This appointment also works in that aspect. Parker won't be on hefty wages, which is important given the huge gulf in money when dropping down to the Championship. If the positives signs are shown before this season's end, there's no doubt the ex-midfielder will get the chance to try again next season. That would allow him to learn without the pressures that the Premier League brings. With an extremely talented squad at his disposal, I certainly wouldn't bet against Fulham bouncing straight back...

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/why-fulham-are-right-to-take-a-risk-on-scott-parker

WhiteJC

Scott Parker reveals the demand he's made of his Fulham players after being named boss

The caretaker boss had a meeting with his players this morning on his first day in the job

Scott Parker has revealed the demand he's made of his Fulham players - to make sure the fans know they've given everything at the end of 90 minutes, no matter what the result.

That is something the side have been lacking massively this season, with the players at times not looking like they've strolled through a match playing at 75 per cent inside of the 100 per cent that their new boss is asking for.

As a player the 38-year-old was known for his no-nonsense approach which saw him gain adulation from fans of every team he played from, from Charlton Athletic to Newcastle United and all the way back to London again.

The same can't be said for the current squad at Fulham, many of whom fans believe haven't given their all this season as they fall further adrift at the bottom of the table.

But speaking at his first press conference as caretaker boss of Fulham, Parker wants his players to change that and leave everything on the pitch for the fans to see.

He said: "I had a meeting today and I think the main focus for this team over the course of the last few months and weeks, there has been a disconnect, certainly with the fans, and I tried to explain at times there's certain things you can't guarantee as a player.

"Whether that is Mitrovic scoring a goal, whether that is Chambers making passes successfully, you can't guarantee that.

"If there's one thing you can guarantee as a football player is you leave a passion and desire on a football pitch that is seen, it doesn't lie and that's the message I've given to the players.

"There's a bigger picture in the detail of the work and tactics but at this moment in time I want our fans to look at a team of players at the end of 90 that have given everything and if they do that the result will be a by-product.

"That's been the main focus and message in this short period of timing."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/scott-parker-fulham-demands-players-15907918

WhiteJC

Scott Parker demands more passion from Fulham players

Newly-appointed Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker believes displaying more passion will help his squad overcome a disconnect with the club's supporters.

Parker, who spent the final four seasons of his playing career at Craven Cottage, replaced Claudio Ranieri on Thursday as the Italian was sacked less than four months after replacing Slavisa Jokanovic.

Fulham are 10 points adrift of Premier League safety with 10 games remaining, and with games against Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City to come in March, their chances of survival appear bleak.

"There are certain things as a football player you can't guarantee, whether that's (Aleksandar) Mitrovic scoring a goal, whether that's Calum Chambers making passes successfully, you can't guarantee that," said Parker, who has been given the job until the end of the season.

"But if there's one thing you guarantee as a football player, it's that you leave a passion, you have a desire on the football field, that is undoubtedly seen."

"Of course there's a bigger picture in the detail of the work and there's tactics but at this moment in time, I want our fans to look at a team of players at the end of 90 minutes that have literally given everything and if they do that, I know ultimately the result will be a by-product from that."

Parker was renowned for his professionalism and passion during a playing career in which he represented four other London clubs, including Tottenham, where he served as a youth coach last season.

The former England midfielder's first game in charge comes against another of his old clubs, Chelsea, live on Sky Sports on Sunday, when he hopes to begin to prove to the Fulham hierarchy that he is worthy of the role on a permanent basis.

"It's definitely an audition," Parker said.

"On a personal note this is something which I started seven years ago when I was a Spurs player, I started to do my coaching badges, it's a passion of mine."

"I've got a dying ambition to be a manager, certainly at this present moment in time, my main focus is trying to get the team together a little bit, trying to get a little bit of stability, take a deep breath and work from there really."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11651923/scott-parker-demands-more-passion-from-fulham-players

WhiteJC

'Catastrophic': Bristol City fans fear Lee Johnson is Fulham bound

Lee Johnson has led Bristol City into the Championship play-offs but could he take over at Premier League strugglers Fulham?

Lee Johnson is reportedly in contention to take over at Fulham...and deservedly so.

The Cottagers put Claudio Ranieri out of his misery on Thursday, sacking the veteran Italian with the club ten points adrift of safety in the Premier League. According to the Mirror (1 March, page 69) Johnson is one of the main candidates to take over at Craven Cottage.

And he certainly feels like a good fit. More so than David Moyes or Steve Clarke, who have also been linked by the Express.

Johnson is a manager famed for turning a team into a unit greater than the sum of its parts while playing some of the most attractive, attack-minded football in the Championship. The new Slavisa Jokanovic, anyone?

Understandably, however, Bristol City fans are desperate to see Johnson stay at Ashton Gate for as long as possible.  The 37-year-old has a lot to learn, with the Robins still prone to an alarming dip in form, but there is no doubting the incredible job he has done at Ashton Gate.

The chirpy Cockney led City to the EFL Cup semi-finals last season, beating Manchester United along the way, and they are currently in the play-offs – ahead of much fancied Derby County, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa no less.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/01/do-catastrophic-bristol-city-fans-fear-lee-johnson-is-fulham-bou/

WhiteJC

Chelsea must be wary of Fulham after Ranieri exit - Sarri

(Reuters) - Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has warned his players to expect a reaction from relegation-threatened Fulham following the departure of Claudio Ranieri.

Fulham, 19th in the standings, sacked Ranieri as manager on Thursday following a dismal run of results and appointed Scott Parker as his caretaker replacement.

"Usually, when there is a change of coach, there is a reaction. And so we have to front the reaction," Sarri told reporters on Friday.

"Then it's difficult for us to prepare the match to know their new systems and ideas. They also have opportunities to save themselves, so we'll have to play a very difficult match, a derby."

The game on Sunday is Chelsea's third in eight days after their penalty shootout defeat in the League Cup final by Manchester City and Wednesday's win over Tottenham Hotspur.

"On Sunday, we played for 130 minutes and 95 minutes on Wednesday. So we need to value the recovery because we ran for 15km on Sunday on average, and the average in the last match was 12km," Sarri added.

Sarri said striker Gonzalo Higuain needed to improve his fitness to get back to his goal-scoring best, recalling the Argentine's form at Napoli under his management when he equalled an Italian Serie A record 36 goals in a season in 2015-16.

"He (Higuain) needs more acceleration because now he is a little more resistant, without the acceleration that he had in Naples, for example," Sarri said.

"He needs to improve his physical condition, especially for the acceleration, and then he will be able to score, of course."

Chelsea are sixth in the table, two points behind fifth-placed Manchester United but with a game in hand.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-england-ful-che-sarri-preview/chelsea-must-be-wary-of-fulham-after-ranieri-exit-sarri-idUKKCN1QI5AX?rpc=401&;

WhiteJC

Gonzalo Higuain could finally make his Chelsea mark against Fulham

Chelsea travel to West Midlands rivals Fulham on Sunday afternoon in the Premier League and it's a big opportunity for Gonzalo Higuain to lay down a gauntlet at Craven Cottage.

The 31-year-old striker moved to Stamford Bridge in January on loan and was tasked with reshaping a lacklustre forward line.

He's made seven appearances so far for the Blues and shown some excellent qualities in holding the ball up, but has not quite hit the ground running like supporters may have wanted.

His only two goals so far came against bottom of the table Huddersfield and he was left out of the starting XI by manager Maurizio Sarri in the Carabao Cup final defeat to Manchester City.

Chelsea are now preparing to face a fragile Fulham side that sit 19th in the table and are staring relegation to the Championship in the face following the sacking of Claudio Ranieri.

Higuain should be licking his lips at the prospect of facing a poor Fulham defence that have conceded 63 goals in 28 league games so far.

The Argentina international is a fox in the box that should certainly be able to get on the scoresheet and make himself a hero in a local derby.

A couple of goals under his belt could be the perfect springboard for Higuain to kick on from now until the rest of the season.

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/analysis/gonzalo-higuain-could-finally-make-his-chelsea-mark-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Realistic, Dream and Wildcard options for Fulham in their hunt for a new boss including this PL veteran

Fulham opinion: Who should be the man to replace Claudio Ranieri?

When Fulham first spent over £100million (h/t Standard) during the summer window, few would have tipped them as relegation candidates. However, a little over six months later, the Cottagers are relegation candidates, having sacked their second manager of the season, Claudio Ranieri.

The former Leicester City boss was appointed in November after Slavisa Jokanovic struggled to make an impact, but the 67-year-old failed to do much.

While the former Chelsea boss won his first game in charge, that's only the first out of 3 wins in 17 games played in the 106 days he was in charge.

Things went from bad to worse, with them getting knocked out of the FA Cup by League Two side Oldham. While Scott Parker has been appointed as the caretaker manager, the hunt for Ranieri's successor is on and here are a few options.

Realistic: Steve Clarke
The Scottish Daily Star has reported that Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke is on top of Fulham's list, with the 55-year-old impressing in the Premiership. However, while Clarke has done well at Kilmarnock, it's his Premier League experience that Fulham can really use.

The former West Brom and Newcastle United manager has managed in the English top-tier to varying levels of success before moving on. Even if Fulham get relegated, Clarke can be a success since he has the experience of managing in the Championship as well.

Clarke was appointed as Reading's manager in December 2015 and successfully led them out of the relegation zone. That combined with his experience as an assistant to the likes of Sir Kenny Dalglish, Roy Hodgson and even Rafael Benitez will prove to be good for Fulham.

Clarke was previously linked with a move to Craven Cottage in 2015 (h/t Telegraph), and maybe this could finally be his chance.

Unrealistic: David Moyes
The former Manchester United and Everton boss is not what the Cottagers need at the moment, especially if the club intend to stay in the Premier League. Currently out of work at the moment, after another unsuccessful spell at West Ham United, the Scotsman was touted to be the next great thing.

However, Manchester United and the unrealistic expectation of replacing Sir Alex Ferguson was thrust upon the former Everton boss and he buckled under pressure. Things went from bad to worse, with spells at Real Sociedad and Sunderland before he arrived at West Ham.

While he was a success at Everton, the 55-year-old has struggled to replicate that at other clubs but if Fulham get relegated, then Moyes would be a good option.

Dream: Sam Allardyce
It's the kind of scenario that few managers want to be a part of but it's one that Sam Allardyce dreams of every day. A relegation specialist if there ever was one, the 64-year-old has specialised in doing the impossible for his sides.

The likes of Bolton Wanderers, Sunderland, Crystal Palace and even Blackburn Rovers all have him to thank for surviving when the odds seemed against them.

That's what Fulham need and while their drop is all but confirmed, if there is one man who could change that, it's Sam Allardyce.

However the former Everton manager has already rejected the chance to help Huddersfield survive and he said (h/t Independent) that even he can't save them. So Allardyce is merely a dream option for Fulham.

Wildcard: David Wagner
The former Huddersfield boss has been out of a job since he resigned earlier in the season. However, despite that, the 42-year-old is still highly thought of, after his incredible performance last season to keep the club in the Premier League.

Despite a much smaller budget as compared to the other Premier League sides, Wagner and Huddersfield performed a masterclass to stay in the top-tier last term.

But unfortunately, the same issues played a big role in their downfall this season, and the Terriers currently sit at the bottom with relegation all but confirmed.

However, if Fulham do get relegated, few managers would do as well as Wagner would and his exciting brand of attacking football will suit the club. Moreover, appointing him now would make the transition next season much easier.

https://soccersouls.com/realistic-dream-and-wildcard-options-for-fulham-in-their-hunt-for-a-new-boss-including-this-pl-veteran/

WhiteJC

Khan must appoint David Wagner

Fulham currently find themselves in a spot of bother in the relegation zone, with Claudio Ranieri's recent sacking only adding to the disappointment at Craven Cottage.

Claudio Ranieri won only three of his 17 games as manager after taking over from Slavisa Jokanovic, and he's now left them 10 points from safety with 10 games left.

The Cottagers have appointed Scott Parker as caretaker manager with former first-team coach Stuart Gray joining as his assistant. But, fans will be more focused on who Shahid Khan will decide to appoint at the end of the season, with relegation to the Championship looking a certainty at this moment in time.

Indeed, the manager who Khan simply has to go all out to secure is former Huddersfield Town boss David Wagner.

Of course, relegation hasn't officially been confirmed, but Fulham will find themselves back in the Premier League by 2020 if Khan appoints David Wagner at the end of the season following potential relegation. He performed miracles last season to first take Huddersfield into the Premier League and then keep them there against all odds.

He also managed to create an extremely tight bond with the players in the Championship, despite bringing in 13 new faces prior to the start of the 2016-17 season. Indeed, the Cottagers have failed to get the best out of a number of their summer signings after spending big prior to the start of this season, so he could definitely sort out that mess.

Wagner promotes an attractive, attacking style that could definitely bring excitement back to Craven Cottage, and his experience from securing promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs during his time at Huddersfield could prove invaluable as the Championship is arguably one of the most competitive leagues in Europe.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/khan-must-appoint-david-wagner/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: View Of The Opposition - Alex Goldberg Breaks Down Chelsea
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is an interview with Alex Goldberg, who is a Chelsea supporter, and has a popular YouTube Channel entitled "The Byline".

During the intervew, Alex shared his views on Chelsea since the teams last played, and shared his thoughts on the upcoming derby on Sunday between Chelsea and Fulham. We ended the show with Alex sharing his prediction. This is our preview show for this match.

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/3/1/18246793/cottage-talk-view-of-the-opposition-alex-goldberg-breaks-down-chelsea

WhiteJC

Scott Parker is planning for the long-term at Fulham as he considers caretaker role an audition

The 38-year-old is eyeing a permanent role should his spell at Craven Cottage prove successful

Scott Parker is taking a long-term view at Craven Cottage after being named Fulham caretaker boss in what he is seeing as an audition to becoming a permanent manager.

The 38-year-old has been given his first job in senior management by Shahid Khan after the owner sacked Claudio Ranieri on Thursday after a 2-0 defeat at Southampton left the Whites ten points off safety in the Premier League with only ten games remaining.

It's about as tough a first job as you get and Parker has made it clear that he is fully aware of the size of the task he has on his hands in west London for the final ten matches.

He wants to restore some pride and heal the divide between players, club and fans and in doing so Parker is also taking a long term view to make sure he leaves the club in a better place, although he also sees it as an audition for a permanent gig.

Parker said: "Obviously I'm a caretaker but my affiliation with this club has been a long while now - four years (as a player) and now back as a coach.

"Of course there is a short term - in my position who is to know what happens in 10 games time, but I will be taking a long term view in that whatever the outcome is personally, I leave this club in a better place.

"That means planning pre-season or anything else long term that could help the club I will be giving my advice on that.

"It's definitely an audition and on a personal note, this is something that I started seven years ago as a Spurs player doing my coaching badges.

"It's a passion of mine, I had a year at Spurs which was invaluable to me coaching players and being around players and then my short period here was the same.

"I have a dying ambition to be a manager, certainly at this present moment in time my main focus is trying to get the team together a little bit, a little stability, take a deep breath and work from there."

Getting a job like this has been seven years in the making for Parker after he started his coaching badges back when he was at Tottenham Hotspur.

During his time at Fulham as a player he helped coach the Academy side while he was appointed Spurs' U18 manager last year after announcing his retirement for playing.

He completed his UEFA Pro License, which you must have if you wish to manage a club in any top tier of any European nation's league permanently, a year-and-a-half ago, meaning should this spell as caretaker boss go well Parker has all the qualifications to manage in England.

But despite this being his first job as manager of a senior side, he is fully aware of how different this will be to his playing days.

He added: "I started off as a Spurs player under John McDermott who helped me and has been incredible in that sense. And then finished my Pro licence about 18 months ago as well, and the FA again have been brilliant in that sense.

"Obviously they have been very supportive of young English and British coaches. It's been something I have worked hard to do, I've been passionate about, and I want to be good at it really.

"I realise it is totally different to playing. You can play as many games as I have as a player, I've played for my country, but ultimately this is a different skill set.

"And there are certain elements which I knew a few years ago before I started I would be very good at, and there are certain areas which I thought 'ok, I am going to need to work on that' and that's what I've done over the course of time."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/scott-parker-planning-long-term-15909470