more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (05/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 05, 2019, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

McDonald: We Gave Everything

Kevin McDonald felt his side left everything out on the pitch following their battling performance against Chelsea.

The Scottish International returned to the base of midfield alongside Calum Chambers in Scott Parker's first game in charge and felt the new boss can be proud of the performance.

"I think you can see the amount of passion, the amount of desire that went into that one against a world-class team. It was tough at times but I thought every single person to a man give it their all.

"When we got on the ball and played, we actually opened them up a few times as well. We were unlucky to not come away with something. It would have been nice for the new boss to come away with something for his first game in charge. I'm sure he is proud today though."

The 30 -year-old felt a re-connection with the fans after the game and understands the display needed in order for them to be satisfied with performances in the Premier League.

"At the end of the day, all the fans want to see is us leaving it all out there on the pitch." He continued. "That's how you get a bond with them. But as long as they can see from the stands we are giving it everything and leaving it out there that's the main thing which they appreciate.

"We also appreciated them, those who were with us until the end. We kept going and they kept us going when we were getting popped around a bit.

"If anyone knows Scotty he wants his team to play with a hunger and a desire. If you're absolutely spent then you put your hand up and come off.

"He wants to play with urgency and to have his players play some decent football and be proud of what we are doing. He wants to be proud and think 'that's my team out there'.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/04/mcdonald-post-chelsea

WhiteJC

Report shares how Bristol City's Lee Johnson feels about Fulham job

Premier League strugglers Fulham want a manager with Championship experience to replace Claudio Ranieri, Lee Johnson a leading candidate.

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson would be tempted by the prospect of taking over at Fulham, as reported by the Sun (4 February, page 61).

At the age of 37, Johnson has emerged as one of the most exciting young coaches in British football. The former Oldham and Barnsley boss led the Robins into the semi-finals of the EFL Cup last season, beating Manchester United along the way, and his Bristol City side are now in contention for a play-off spot in May.

As a result, it is understood that Johnson is a leading candidate to take over from Claudio Ranieri at Fulham. The veteran Italian was sacked last week after winning just three of his 17 games in charge of the Premier League strugglers, who look certain to be relegated.

The Sun reports that Fulham are planning for the drop and want a manager with Championship experience who can replicate the success of Slavisa Jokanovic, the man who guided the club back to the top flight last season.

Johnson's commitment to attacking football means he shares a few similarities with the Serbian.

And the Sun reports that Johnson would be tempted to take charge at Craven Cottage, as long as Bristol City are not promoted to the Premier League this season.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/04/do-report-shares-how-bristol-citys-lee-johnson-feels-about-fulha/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker frontrunner for Fulham job as Tom Cairney hails 'immense' impact of club's former captain

Favourite | Parker was handed the job on an interim basis following Claudio Ranieri's sacking ( PA/Adam Davy )

Scott Parker is in pole position to land the Fulham job on a full-time basis and captain Tom Cairney has backed him to rebuild the club if he takes over permanently.

Parker was named caretaker boss last Thursday after Claudio Ranieri was sacked after just 106 days in charge, winning only three of his 17 matches.

Fulham lost 2-1 to Chelsea in his first game yesterday but Parker has already had a positive impact on the team, who were reinvigorated against the Blues despite their defeat.

They showed fight, played with an energy that their fans responded to, produced a much-improved display and almost earned what would have been a deserved point when Ryan Sessegnon had an injury-time goal disallowed.

Relegation looks inevitable, though, and owner Shahid Khan is seeking long-term stability as he considers his sixth managerial appointment since he bought the club in 2013.

Fulham need a manager who can work within their recruitment model and Parker, 38, who spent the final four years of career at the club, knows how they operate.

The players were applauded off after a spirited performance on Sunday and Cairney said: "If that is what he can do in a few days I wonder what he could do in six months, eight months?

"I would like to see him given a chance. I speak on behalf of everyone, he is so highly regarded at the club. He has been immense.

"He is a young English manager as well. It is good to see Frank Lampard and John Terry in football and he is in that bracket. When he was a player in my first season here, we were struggling in the Championship and he played a massive part in keeping us up."

With the way Fulham played yesterday, Khan must have wished he had put Parker in charge sooner. He has breathed new life into a team who lost their way so badly and lifted the mood.

Even if their chances of staying up are poor, being 10 points from safety with nine matches remaining, the coming months are still crucial as the club look to heal some of the wounds of this season. Parker wants to help Fulham get their identity back as a "passing team and lovely family football club" and yesterday was a good start.

Craven Cottage did not witness a tactical revolution and the team Parker selected was not the work of a magician. But his 4-2-3-1 system suited the players and he gave the team a clear idea of what he expects.

Perhaps the biggest difference was the influence of Cairney. Shifted out to the right by Ranieri, the Fulham captain was back in his favoured central position and he looked more like the man who was one of the best players outside the Premier League last season.

Released from his shackles, Cairney was instrumental and made Fulham tick as they played some of the free-flowing football that was a big part of last season's campaign. The way the talented midfielder was used by Ranieri seems symptomatic of the malaise at the club under the Italian.

Parker also brought Sessegnon back and the 18-year-old looked more like his old self. He said Sessegnon has had "the weight of the world on his shoulders" but he was a threat again on the left. Kevin McDonald, another key player who was left in the cold, started and alongside Calum Chambers he gave Fulham some steel in midfield.

"I think we got a bit of pride back," added Cairney. "Everything on the whole had a better feel about it."

Parker would have been disappointed with the two goals Fulham but if this was the start of his job audition then then a performance of this nature must enhance his chances of being given the job full-time. He has told senior officials that the club need to "press the reset button". The regret is that they should have done that weeks ago

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/scott-parker-frontrunner-for-fulham-job-as-tom-cairney-hails-immense-impact-of-club-s-former-captain-a4081981.html

WhiteJC

'Loyalty in football is dead' – 37-year-old firmly in Fulham's sights: Opinion

Fulham parted company with manager Claudio Ranieri last week, with Scott Parker promoted from within, as the Cottagers try and cling onto their Premier League status.

Moving forward though it would seem that Bristol City manager Lee Johnson is the Cottagers' long-term answer to their manager situation, with the 37-year-old emerging as the leading contender to fill the managerial vacancy at Craven Cottage, according to the Sun on Sunday (March 3, page 61).

So what are the chances that Johnson will jump ship if Fulham do come calling? Could you see him calling it a day at Ashton Gate and moving to Fulham?

We discuss.....

Gary Hutchinson

"Yes.

"He's only a young manager but maybe he's taken the Robins as far as he can.

"There's a worry his career could dive in six months though.

"They've got an itchy trigger finger at Craven Cottage."

Jay Taylor

"I think he can – he did it at Barnsley and will do it again.

"Loyalty in football is dead, even amongst managers; I feel.

"If Fulham came calling he would leave at the drop of a hat."

Jacob Potter

"He's surely going to be tempted.

"Johnson has been at Bristol City for a number of years now and I just can't see the Robins earning promotion anytime soon.

"Fulham is going to be an exciting offer and Johnson should jump ship if I was him."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/loyalty-in-football-is-dead-37-year-old-firmly-in-fulhams-sights-opinion/

WhiteJC

The influence of Cairney & reclaiming an identity - Talking points from Scott Parker's first game

Fulham were beaten 2-1 by Chelsea in the caretaker boss' first game in charge of his new side

The change in atmosphere at Craven Cottage

Over the past few months Craven Cottage hasn't been the happiest of places to be.

There's been boos at pretty much every game under Claudio Ranieri, especially at full time, while fans had turned on the Italian and mocked his substitutions and decisions during matches.

What a difference it was on Sunday in Scott Parker's first game in charge of Fulham.

It might be have been a defeat for the caretaker boss, but every player put in a shift and were applauded off by the Fulham faithful come the end of 90 minutes, while during the game the fans were behind them - an atmosphere I've not seen for a few months.

It's what Parker wants to achieve at least by the time May comes - reconnecting the fans with the team and he took his first steps in achieving that on Sunday during the defeat to Chelsea.

There will be hard times to come for sure, but there's already been a noticeable change in the fans' perception of the team after the performance they put in under Parker.

Scott Parker's first line-up and style of play

It was probably one of the more eagerly anticipated starting XIs of the season - who would Parker play in his first game as manager?

As it turned out, he kept the same team from Ranieri's last game in charge in the defeat to Southampton apart from one change, bringing back in Ryan Sessegnon for Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and going 4-2-3-1 with Tom Cairney in the middle.

(Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Kevin McDonald kept his place in the side too, providing the leadership that the team have lacked somewhat this season and a vocal voice in the middle of the park.

In terms of the style of play, it was a mix between Slavisa Jokanovic's expansive attacking style and Ranieri's more conservative tacts, just like Parker said it would be on Friday.

There was an emphasis on keeping their shape defensively and not sacrificing defence for attack, especially with the full backs, but when Fulham got the ball there was a speed to overload the box and get into good positions that has been missing.

Cairney said after the game that it was going back to what Fulham are comfortable doing and doing best and it's true - they looked far more comfortable out there than they did under Ranieri.

The pace of Fulham's attack

That leads me nicely onto Fulham's attack and the speed at which they did it.

It was something we saw a lot of under Jokanovic in the last year - when Fulham were in possession through Cairney they would immediately look to get forward as quickly as possible, either through the wing backs or by using Aleksandar Mitrovic as a focal point.

It wasn't as attacking as that under Parker, but once either McDonald or Calum Chambers won the ball in the middle, Mitrovic, Sessegnon, Ryan Babel and Cairney were already on the move, looking to get into forward positions to do damage to Chelsea.

It was of stark contrast to Ranieri who would pump it long to Mitrovic and then use him as a platform to build on at the top, before trying to get it out to the wingers who would then whip a cross in.

This suited Fulham far more - they moved the ball well in advanced positions and troubled Chelsea's backline.

But it wasn't just one-dimensional either, they mixed it up when under pressure at the back and knew that Mitrovic was more than capable of winning the ball further forward, but importantly that wasn't the go-to outlet.

Parker has only had the team a couple of days so I was surprised at how quickly the side reverted to his tactics, but it wasn't revolutionary stuff from the caretaker - just more tailoring it to suit his players who he has known for years.

Tom Cairney's influence

Why Ranieri either left Cairney on the pitch or played him out on the wing will be one of those questions in life that can never really be answered.

(Image: Julian Finney/Getty Images)

But he was back in his favoured central position under Parker and he had his best game of the season against Chelsea where he controlled the match for Fulham and looked very good on the ball.

He got a standing ovation when he was subbed off for Luciano Vietto from the fans and you could tell that the captain was a happier man altogether on Sunday.

Cairney was comfortable on the ball, picking it up in advanced areas and then picking passes to get Fulham moving forward.

It was a creative and confident display from Cairney, something we should've seen more of this season had he not been played in the wrong position.

This wasn't a revolution, it was a small step in reclaiming an identity

Nothing Parker did yesterday was revolutionary.

He didn't come in and reinvent the wheel or create a new style of football that we'll now start referring to as Parker-Ball or something like that.

All he did was play players in the right positions, give them a confidence that they can play football and make them believe in themselves again.

McDonald added a voice while Cairney added the ability to pull the strings, Sessegnon was played on the wing and caused problems with his pace while Mitrovic was allowed to play on the last man and give him a headache all match.

Most people who watch Fulham every week could've told you where Ranieri was going wrong, but Parker has come in and addressed those problems immediately.

He wants his side to reclaim the identity they had last season and to get people talking about the Fulham brand rather than what most of the conversation is at the moment.

It was small steps into his first job in senior management - but for me, the job is Parker's to lose.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/influence-cairney--reclaiming-identity-15916535

WhiteJC

Scott Parker has rejuvenated Tom Cairney as skipper backs him to become permanent manager

The Fulham captain reckons Parker should be given the chance to manage the side permanently

If there was anyone in the Fulham side that would've been glad to have seen the back of Claudio Ranieri, it was Tom Cairney.

He was on the bench six times in the Italian's 17 games at the club while he also only played a full 90 minutes on six occasions, with most of those seeing him shoved out on the right wing.

Having been the key man under Slavisa Jokanovic and in the eyes of fans, it was hard to understand why he had now become a player on the outskirts of the team.

It was made even more difficult by the performance the captain put in under new caretaker manager Scott Parker in his first game in charge, pulling the strings from a more favoured central midfield role position.

Cairney looked a man reborn under Parker and the difference in approaches already has led the captain to call for the 38-year-old to get the job permanently come the end of the season.

He said: "If that is what he can do in a few days I wonder what he could do in six months, eight months? He has been immense.

"When he was a player in my first season here, we were struggling at the bottom end of the Championship and he played a massive part in keeping us up. He just knows the game so well.

"I know he is a young manager and he will say himself that he has got a lot to learn, but the way he has been this week has been outstanding.

"I speak on behalf of everyone, he is so highly regarded at the club. I would like to see him given a chance.

"He is a good, young English manager as well and it is good to see the likes of Lampard and Terry in football already. He is in that bracket.

"It is a massive opportunity getting to manage here at this stage in his career and he's taken it in his stride."

The message from the new boss before the defeat to Chelsea was all about healing the divide between the fans and the players that has been allowed to develop over the past few months.

The scenes during the Southampton game in midweek showed just how far that rift has grown, with fans holding banners reading 'Risk-free? Are you watching Tony Khan' as the game went on.

The pride of playing for the Fulham shirt has been missing.

But in just one game under Parker, Fulham have gone from being booed off at St Mary's to getting a standing ovation after a battling performance saw them lose 2-1 to Chelsea, although they were unlucky not to get a point.

Parker has taken things back to basics for Cairney and his team mates it seems, as the skipper explains.

"I think we got a bit of pride back," he said, "we got a performance, the atmosphere was there, the team spirit was better, the football we played was better I just think everything on the whole had a better feel about it.

"We can still improve, of course, but Chelsea were struggling in the second half and we created a few chances. We could have scored at the end through Sess.

"That was more like the old Fulham.

"He has just given us a clear idea and said, 'this is what I want in possession and out of possession'.

"He took the shackles off a little bit, he allowed the players to express themselves and enjoy it.

"We have worked so hard for two or three years to play teams like Chelsea, he just reminded us of that."

If the side had played like that more this season they probably wouldn't find themselves ten points off safety with just nine games left to play - but with Parker at the helm Cairney hasn't given up hope completely just yet.

"We are climbing a mountain. But it is still mathematically possible. We have got more of a chance with performances like that."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/scott-parker-rejuvenated-tom-cairney-15916721

WhiteJC

Academy's Literacy Award

Four of our Academy players were lucky enough to be paid a visit by the Premier League to receive an award for their outstanding effort in the 'Word Mania' competition.

The competition was stretched out across schools as well as football clubs across the country. The organisation, Literacy Planet, have now set-up an exclusive 'Premier League Only' competition in which the boys will also be entering.

The literacy accolade was given to Harvey Araujo, Bradley De Jesus, Callum Osmand and Daniel Adu-Adjei, and presented by Julia Caunt.

The award would not have been possible without the tireless work done by the education team of Sean Cullen, Sarah Lipscombe and Joel Fontana.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/04/academy-literacy-award

WhiteJC

Jamie Vardy injury: Will Leicester striker be fit to face Fulham?
The in-form Englishman picked up an injury during Brendan Rodgers' first game in charge of the Foxes

Jamie Vardy has been in a rich run of form lately, with three goals in four league games, including one in his first game under new manager Brendan Rodgers.

Unfortunately for Vardy, Rodgers and Leicester fans the whippet striker's purple patch could come to a grinding halt after he picked up an injury in the closing stages of Sunday's defeat to Watford.

And it's not just the Leicester loyals who will be sweating over the striker's fitness – Vardy is owned by 5.7 per cent of Fantasy Premier League managers.

How serious is the injury?
Vardy was forced off in the 82nd minute, finally succumbing to an injury picked up in the first-half following a collision with Watford keeper Ben Foster.

Despite appearing in some pain following the clash, Rodgers suggested the injury won't keep Vardy out of the side for the club's Gameweek 30 fixture with Fulham.

"It was unfortunate he had to come off," the new Leicester boss said.

"He just felt the effects of the collision in the first-half but we hope he will be alright in the next couple of days."

Should I take him out of my FPL side?
No.

For the first time this season Vardy is justifying his price tag of £8.9m – taking him out following Rodgers' words on the injury would be foolhardy.

Those concerned over Vardy's fitness should keep an eye out for further updates from the club, before tuning into Rodgers' press conference on Friday.

i verdict

Vardy will likely start against Fulham if Rodgers' initial take on the injury is to be trusted.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/fantasy-football/jamie-vardy-injury-leicester-city-team-news-fulham/

WhiteJC

PL Cup Round of 16

The Club can confirm that we will face Leeds United Under-23s in the Round of 16 for the PL Cup.

The fixture will take place on Thursday 14th March, 7PM at Guiseley FC.

The Young Whites secured qualification back in February with a 2-0 win over Reading which saw us advance alongside the Royals, edging out Birmingham to progress.

Leeds Under-23s currently sit top of the Professional Development League North.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/04/pl-cup-leeds

WhiteJC

Scott Parker sounds all the right notes at Fulham

There are stories about Scott Parker which illustrate how he was able to go so far in the game. They are tales of his effect on dressing-rooms and testimony to his habit of becoming a team's moral conscience. Although his side-parting and no frills playing style may have made him an anachronism in the modern Premier League, the intangibles which underscored his playing personality were timeless; West Ham supporters know that, Tottenham fans too, and although he only arrived at Craven Cottage in his career's twilight, he remains extremely popular at Fulham for good reason.

Parker now finds himself in charge of the first-team on an interim basis. On Sunday, following a heartening debut which ended in defeat but applied some balm after a raw week, he spoke to the media about the culmination of a process which began seven years ago. Parker was a smart player, he was also wise enough to plan for a life beyond the pitch too. Without the profile necessary to default into a job without qualification, he began taking his coaching badges while still at Spurs. Even so, he admitted, there are plenty of his peers who prepare for a second career which never arrives; despite the loss, Parker was just delighted by the chance to apply whatever he's learnt.

What that is will be shown in time. For now, there's reason to believe that there's significant overlap between player he was and the manager he hopes to become and that, at this curious point in Fulham's history, he is exactly the tonic the club needs. Of course, the range of issues at work on the bank of the Thames go far beyond his pay-grade, meaning that whatever influence he has will need to be accompanied by change throughout the sporting structure. Nevertheless, good decisions tend to come along in twos and threes, and if Parker is extended beyond the end of the season, Fulham will at least have made the first of the many which are necessary.

Press-conferences are largely dull. Rarely do they seem to yield anything of real substance, more often existing as a means of collecting those banal soundbytes which sustain the news cycle. But Parker was captivating on Sunday afternoon. On the left of the media room at Craven Cottage, the first-half of the Merseyside derby unfolded on a large television screen. Given the cut-and-thrust of that match and its implications on the most engaging title races in years, Parker faced a battle to hold the media's attention. He was interesting, though, and there was barely a sideways glance.

He was cervous and understandably so. Dealing with the press is new to him. Speaking to a bank of journalists while the televisions cameras whir must be intimidating and Parker is neither obviously gregarious or a natural performer. But he was still thoroughly engaging and, importantly, in a way that others typically aren't unless they're dealing in controversy.

The temptation is to immediately oversubscribe to his abilities. For the first time in weeks, Fulham actually played with some life against Chelsea. Three days earlier, they had offered the meekest surrender at Southampton, falling on their sword at the first invitation. Before the game at Craven Cottage, the pitchside announcer read out tweets from supporters, all of which pleaded for a performance of substance. Forget the result, they unanimously urged, and just rattle Chelsea's cage. And Fulham did. Re-engagement was the mission and it was an objective accomplished; the stadium bounced with the sound of invested supporters and Kepa Arrizabalaga had to be at his very best to prevent an upset.

Tactically, it was imperfect. Over the next few days, Parker will likely muse over the influence afforded to Jorginho, Chelsea's embattled regista, and wonder how it was that his team allowed him so much time and space. But then that's part of the learning curve and the type of mistake a novice head-coach has to be allowed to make. Suffer and learn, it's the only way.

But, while the world cannot yet know what to make of Scott Parker the manager, Scott Parker the person is an easier read. He's unrefined, uncomplicated. Really, he's a modern update of the fabled proper football man, just without the negative connotations. He speaks about the game simply yet knowledgeably, and exudes a great empathy towards his players. One of his virtues in this situation is that he understands the plight of footballers in an underperforming side. He spoke about how, under certain conditions, a two-yard pass can seem like twenty to anyone chastened be a season of negative experiences and robbed of their confidence. Wise and true, and probably instructed by that bitter struggle he experienced at West Ham, when they suffered relegation in 2011 but he was voted the FWA's Player Of The Year.

So if there's such a thing as manager-club synergy, then Parker and Fulham have it: his range of experiences as a player account for every situation in which this club could find itself. He knows the struggle, he knows the over-achievement and, perhaps most pertinently, he knows what it is to rediscover equalibrium in the Championship and, through his time as a young player at Charlton, to find a way out of it.

Admittedly, those are details to pad a CV with, rather than bankable attributes. For now, though, what matters is that Parker is someone who you can imagine a player reacting well to. That quality has no real definition; it doesn't have a name and it's often dismissed as woolly romanticism. But it's real and often what determines whether a squad is willing to extend itself to the extremities of its potential. It's also discernible to anybody who pays attention, even journalists who are itching to file their copy and sit down in front of a bigger match.

Graham Taylor had it. When you listened to him speak, you found yourself thinking that if you were a professional – if you were slimmer, younger and exponentially more talented – then you would have happily run your blood to water for him. He wasn't flash or stylish, he didn't exude the charisma necessary to form the basis of a personality cult, but he was decent and honest in a way that mandated the same qualities in return. Parker strikes that same, familiar chord. Not as loudly and, of course, not with anything like the same achievements in support, but it's still there. He's someone with gravity, that you find yourself wanting to listen to.

In the relative warmth of that Chelsea's performance, it's easy to get lost in hyperbole. But these are conclusions being seconded by the Fulham dressing-room, too. Speaking to the Evening Standard on Sunday afternoon, Tom Cairney gave Parker a ringing endorsement.

'If that is what he can do in a few days I wonder what he could do in six months, eight months? I would like to see him given a chance. I speak on behalf of everyone, he is so highly regarded at the club. He has been immense.'

It's what Cairney would be expected to say, but his words still fit the picture; they're easy to rationalise. Parker has always been so human that wanting the best for him has been natural. As a player, his identity was that of a someone willing to do anything to finish a game on the right side of the score. Referring to him as a 'good professional' was always trite and slightly demeaning, but that's exactly what he was. He set an example and, during an era when the profession was consumed by its own ego, he remained laudably unaffected. He wasn't a part-time model or wannabe entrepreneur, he was always a footballer. When he was briefly made England captain by Roy Hodgson, despite more obvious famous alternatives, it was – tellingly – generally accepted as a welcome measure.

But now, at this moment in time, much of what he says – in relation to broader issues which go beyond the pitch – inspire the same, warm reaction. He spoke briefly on Sunday about the erosion of Fulham's synonyms and how this season's many mistakes have diluted the club's association for playing good, attractive football in a family environment. He gets that and he wants to reclaim it. Really, in this day and age and with fans desperate to identify and grasp whatever fibres exist between them and their side, that's half the battle.

New manager bounce is a known trap. It's possible that this initial impression has been forged by little more than catharsis and that Fulham's energy and effort against Chelsea was an illusion which will quickly fade. It's conceivable, too, that the desire to see Parker succeed will shape the reaction to his performance, slanting analysis in his favour and obscuring whatever deficiencies he's shown to have.

Perhaps. For now, though, Fulham have sent in the right nightwatchman. He has something. Maybe not an ideology, perhaps not a seductive backstory formed of sabbaticals in South America and late-night coffees with the game's high-priests, but a look, a sincerity, and an honesty which should dissuade anyone from betting against him.

https://www.tifofootball.com/features/scott-parker-sounds-all-the-right-notes-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Why Tottenham should be keeping tabs on Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker

On Sunday, Scott Parker took charge of his first match as a senior manager when Fulham fell to a narrow 2-1 defeat to Chelsea.

The former Tottenham youth coach showed tremendous promise in revitalising Fulham in his first game in charge, and Spurs would do well to keep tabs on Parker for a possible management position in the future.

After an illustrious playing career that spanned two decades, Parker spent two years at Tottenham before finishing his playing days with Fulham and hanging up his boots in 2017. The former midfielder then joined Spurs as their U-18's coach, serving one year in that position before linking up with former manager Slavisa Jokanovic as his assistant in SW6.

Parker endured the reigns of both Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri this campaign, emerging from both failed tenures as the caretaker manager for the Whites' final ten matches of 2018/19.

And in just his first week at the helm, the 38-year-old has already shown his considerable talents. Players were smiling again at training, the right things were said in his press conferences, and the side finally played to its potential.

Parker's managerial career is still in its infancy and there is little indication as of yet that he has the abilities to manage a top-class, title-chasing team. But with his impressive debut match against Chelsea, coupled with his remarkable reversal of the atmosphere at Fulham, Parker appears to be following the likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard into management at an early age.

With Mauricio Pochettino likely to garner considerable attention in the following years from Manchester United and Real Madrid, Tottenham would be smart to keep an eye on Scott Parker.

Appointing Parker as an assistant in the short-term could pay dividends, granting Spurs a young, promising English manager for the future.

https://tbrfootball.com/why-tottenham-should-be-keeping-tabs-on-fulham-caretaker-manager-scott-parker/

WhiteJC

Parker's prideful Fulham

Premier League safety is vastly unlikely for Fulham after a horrific year back at the top sparked by dreadful recruitment, management and coaching all intertwining to create a relegation displaying everything not to do once you reach the 'big time.'

Scott Parker mentioned in the lead up to the SW6 Derby that he wanted to see Fulham play with a bit more pace in attack, that came with the return of Ryan Sessegnon to the starting line up and quicker attempt to the final third, whether that came with longer balls or general speed of play from back to front – we saw longer balls utilised more frequently than usual but Tom Cairney was excellent in finding space and collecting the ball between Jorginho and the Chelsea back line before sliding some lovely passes in behind for the aforementioned Sessegnon typically.

Though individual mistakes were still visible, Fulham's general performance was full of fight and had a period where they absolutely had Chelsea on the ropes. Scott Parker has already gained the support of Tom Cairney who has called for the permanent appointment of the former Fulham captain, and whilst we must be wary to avoid the Kit Symons experiment, this feels different. I think Scott showed some tactical intelligence on his first game as Cairney exploited the space behind the Chelsea midfield and he flipped Ryan Sessegnon to the right who saw some joy against Italy international Emerson. If not for some Man of the Match winning calibre saves from Kepa Arrizabalaga then Scotty Parker could well have salvaged at least a point from his managerial debut.

Back to something different about this 'players coach' appointment surrounding a 'we've got our Fulham back narrative.' Scott Parker throughout his playing career always seemed to command a certain level of respect and that saw him named captain, a leader who lead by example, Parker has always had the potential to have an authority over a team. Having set about his coaching 'badges' (my least favourite term in football, badges don't exist) whilst at Tottenham Hotspur, this moment is years in the making. The return of Stuart Gray brings an aura of legitimacy also as an experienced and excellent coach in his own right which will help Scott through the early days of his management career whether it lasts 9 more games at Fulham or not.

Scott Parker's Fulham made a nice start on Sunday and according to the former England international, have set a standard for the remainder of the season "I shouldn't expect anything less, the challenge for me now is that needs to stay and how is this going to happen, making sure that it's a given every single week." He understands the core principles that this football club should never reject 'passing football and a family football club.'

Every coach has to start somewhere and for Scott Parker (and Fulham), familiarity and a mutual understanding philosophically is a solid ground to build upon.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/03/parkers-prideful-fulham/

WhiteJC

Watford should blindly make a summer move for this Fulham star once the Cottagers get relegated and here's why

Watford Opinion: Can Andre Zambo Anguissa help Watford flourish?

Watford are in good shape at the moment, unlike a few other Premier League clubs, and they sit eight in the Premier League. Despite losing a few managers, the Hornets, under Javi Gracia, have played some great football but more so, the club could lose Doucoure in the summer.

The main target for quite a few clubs including Chelsea (Football.London) and Arsenal (Football.London) among others is Abdoulaye Doucoure and replacing him will be hard for the club.

While there are many players who can replace the 26-year-old, Watford have to look for players within their financial reach.

That doesn't leave them with many options, but it does add Andre Zambo Anguissa to the list. The 23-year-old has struggled since arriving at Fulham but has still been one of the bright lights in an otherwise terrible season for the Cottagers.

Still only 23 years old, the Cameroon international is a talent who Watford shouldn't miss out on. Given that chances are high that Fulham could get relegated at the end of the season, Watford should push hard to sign Anguissa.

A versatile midfielder, the 23-year-old prefers playing as a defensive midfielder but is versatile enough to play anywhere in the midfield. However, it's in the middle of the park that the Cameroonian shines, thanks to his never-ending work rate and defensive acumen.

His willingness to push forward and help the team in the attack means that Anguissa could be close to the perfect replacement for Doucoure.

Watford's ability to change managers at will may not help the club or its players but if they stick with Gracia, things will change.

The Malaga boss has shown a marked change to the Hornets' style of play and that has been evident in Doucoure and Roberto Pereyra's success this season.

Both stars even struggled last season but under Gracia, they've achieved some kind of consistency. That further makes the move for Andre Zambo Anguissa that much more exciting, but Watford will have to act fast.

https://soccersouls.com/can-fulham-star-andre-zambo-anguissa-help-watford-flourish/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Fulham vs. Chelsea
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our post match show of the 2-1 loss for Fulham against Chelsea. During the show, co-hosts Max Cohen and Mike Gregg, who was at the match shared their views on the match,

You can also listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/3/4/18250623/cottage-talk-post-match-show-fulham-vs-chelsea

ScalleysDad

As always an interesting read. I really do wonder if the Khan team read this or pick up the vibe about the place? Cairney says Parker has a positive influence around the Club and the respect of the players. Parker says he wants to help the Club and build a team that can challenge. Khan wants sustainability although he has overseen a number of idiotic decisions. Do yourselves a favour Khan Snr and Junior and pursue the blinkin obvious.

ffcne

Quote from: WhiteJC on March 05, 2019, 08:50:48 AM

Watford should blindly make a summer move for this Fulham star once the Cottagers get relegated and here's why

Watford are in good shape at the moment, unlike a few other Premier League clubs, and they sit eight in the Premier League. Despite losing a few managers, the Hornets, under Javi Gracia, have played some great football but more so, the club could lose Doucoure in the summer.

The main target for quite a few clubs including Chelsea (Football.London) and Arsenal (Football.London) among others is Abdoulaye Doucoure and replacing him will be hard for the club.

While there are many players who can replace the 26-year-old, Watford have to look for players within their financial reach.

That doesn't leave them with many options, but it does add Andre Zambo Anguissa to the list. The 23-year-old has struggled since arriving at Fulham but has still been one of the bright lights in an otherwise terrible season for the Cottagers.

Still only 23 years old, the Cameroon international is a talent who Watford shouldn't miss out on. Given that chances are high that Fulham could get relegated at the end of the season, Watford should push hard to sign Anguissa.

A versatile midfielder, the 23-year-old prefers playing as a defensive midfielder but is versatile enough to play anywhere in the midfield. However, it's in the middle of the park that the Cameroonian shines, thanks to his never-ending work rate and defensive acumen.

His willingness to push forward and help the team in the attack means that Anguissa could be close to the perfect replacement for Doucoure.

Watford's ability to change managers at will may not help the club or its players but if they stick with Gracia, things will change.

The Malaga boss has shown a marked change to the Hornets' style of play and that has been evident in Doucoure and Roberto Pereyra's success this season.

Both stars even struggled last season but under Gracia, they've achieved some kind of consistency. That further makes the move for Andre Zambo Anguissa that much more exciting, but Watford will have to act fast.

https://soccersouls.com/can-fulham-star-andre-zambo-anguissa-help-watford-flourish/

Who writes this rubbish!
Has been one of the bright lights in a terrible season.
Hopefully someone will see this and take him off our hands for a decent price.

snarks

Quote from: ffcne on March 05, 2019, 09:34:57 AM

Who writes this rubbish!

I just don't share your view, he's had a difficult first season, and not had a decent run, but the talent is obvious to me.

The one thing that is true is that we overpaid for him, but that is not his fault.

ffcne

Quote from: snarks on March 05, 2019, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: ffcne on March 05, 2019, 09:34:57 AM

Who writes this rubbish!

I just don't share your view, he's had a difficult first season, and not had a decent run, but the talent is obvious to me.

The one thing that is true is that we overpaid for him, but that is not his fault.

Not convinced,but would he want to stay and play in the Championship?
Not sure length of contract and wages.