watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (08/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 08, 2019, 07:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Alfredo Morelos, John McGinn and Fulham - What's on the agenda for Brendan Rodgers' Leicester City press conference

A busy agenda waits the Foxes boss this afternoon as he discusses Fulham clash and transfer links

Brendan Rodgers will have his second press conference as Leicester City boss this afternoon.

The new City manager will face a busy agenda today with plenty to discuss from last week's defeat to Watford, this weekend's clash with Fulham and a transfer link that just won't go away.

We'll have live coverage of the conference from 1pm so be sure to join us for that, but in the meantime, take a look at the topics on the agenda this afternoon.

Watford defeat

Early questions are likely to revolve around last Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Watford, what Brendan Rodgers learned from the defeat and how the players took the tough fashion of it.

Injuries

We'll also be finding out the latest Foxes injury news and whether there are any fresh setbacks following that defeat to Watford.

Jamie Vardy limped off during the defeat, but will he return in time for this weekend's game as predicted by Rodgers last weekend?

This weekend's game

Attention now switches to this weekend's clash with strugglers Fulham and there'll be plenty of questions devoted to City's next fixture.

We'll hear what Rodgers has to say about Fulham's season and what dangers they pose.

Claudio Ranieri

Fulham recently parted ways with former Foxes boss Claudio Ranieri.

Rodgers is likely to be asked whether he thinks Fulham made the right decision, and whether the Italian was treated fairly.

Ranieri remains close to the hearts of the Blue Army.

First full week on the training ground

This is, of course, Brendan Rodgers' first full week in charge of City, and while it's not over just yet, it will be interesting to hear how training has gone this week and whether the players have managed to work on any new ideas.

The former Celtic boss had a very limited time with the players on the training pitch by the time that Watford game rolled around. He'll benefit from a full week of training ahead of Saturday's game.

Club accounts

The club's latest accounts were released earlier this week and the headline was that City are very much going to attempt to break up the current Premier League top six.

We'll find out what Rodgers thinks of that and whether he feels that's an attainable goal.

Tielemans on a permanent?

News broke this week that City would have to pay £40 million to secure the services of loan midfielder Youri Tielemans on a permanent basis.

The new Foxes boss is likely to be asked about that, whether he wants the young Belgian on a longer-term deal and whether it's something the club can afford.

Will City sign Morelos?

The Rangers striker has been linked with a big-money move to the East Midlands.

He's unlikely to give anything away at this point, but nevertheless, Rodgers will likely be asked about the link.

New head of recruitment on the cards?

Celtic head of recruitment Lee Congeton has been linked with a move to Leicester City to join Rodgers.

We'll attempt to get an answer on whether that story has any legs today.

House break-in

Another topic that is likely to come up is the recent break-in of Rodgers' Glasgow home.

Disturbing details emerged yesterday following a break-in to the new City boss' home in Scotland while his wife and her six-year-old child were inside.

Thankfully both are safe but, of course, it's a difficult situation for any family to have to go through.

Rodgers is likely to be asked about the incident and how he and his family are getting on.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alfredo-morelos-john-mcginn-fulham-2617682

WhiteJC

Claudio Ranieri 'wild card' for new job, very quickly after leaving Fulham role

Claudio Ranieri wasn't able to turn Fulham's fortunes around this season and the former Leicester City manager left the club at the end of February.

He's been replaced by Scott Parker but the task of keeping Fulham in the Premier League looks to be almost impossible.

The Italian's time at the London club hasn't damaged his reputation too much, and Ranieri is already being linked to other roles.

Tuttomercatoweb report that today could be Eusebio di Francesco's last as manager of AS Roma, with the club already looking for his replacement.

There are several options, and Ranieri is said to be one of those. The former Fulham boss has previously both played and managed Roma, so there'd be no problem settling in.

TMW explain that Ranieri could take the job until the end of the season, with a clause seeing a contract extension if he can get Roma into the Champions League for next season.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/claudio-ranieri-wild-card-new-job-quickly-leaving-fulham-role/

WhiteJC

Jamie Vardy injury update ahead of Leicester's clash with Fulham

Footage emerging across social media this afternoon has suggested that Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy will be fit to feature versus Fulham this weekend.

Leicester vs Fulham
The Foxes are set to welcome struggling Fulham to the King Power Stadium on Saturday afternoon, for a Premier League clash.

Hosts Leicester will head into the matchup hoping for a bounce-back performance, after the debut of new boss Brendan Rodgers last weekend was spoiled by an injury-time defeat at Watford.

Fulham, meanwhile, also fell to a defeat last time out, in their first outing under the guidance of Scott Parker.

The Cottagers put in a brave showing versus Chelsea at Craven Cottage, but ultimately came up short in a 2-1 defeat.

Vardy boost
In anticipation of Saturday's clash at the King Power, Leicester have been sweating over the fitness of star man Jamie Vardy.

Hitman Vardy picked up a problem following a collision with Watford shot-stopper Ben Foster during the first-half of the Foxes' clash with the Hornets, before eventually being forced off with ten minutes remaining in his side's defeat.

As such, the English international, who netted Leicester's only goal at Vicarage Road, was immediately labelled as a doubt to feature versus Fulham this weekend.

But, in a boost for the 2016 Premier League champions, footage has emerged online this afternoon of Vardy taking part in full training with the rest of Brendan Rodgers' squad:

Fulham boss Scott Parker, meanwhile, has no fresh concerns on the injury-front:

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/jamie-vardy-injury-update-ahead-of-leicesters-clash-with-fulham/

WhiteJC

Spurs confirm coach has left the club to join Fulham

Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed that their Under-18 manager Matt Wells has left the club to take up a coaching position with Fulham.

The Cottagers recently parted company with manager Claudio Ranieri and gave the job to former Spurs player and coach Scott Parker on a a

Wells will join the first team coaching set up at the Premier League strugglers as they look to avoid a returning to the Championship at the first time of asking.

He joined Spurs as an assistant coach where he worked alongside Scott Parker and the late Ugo Ehiogu with the Under-18 side, before taking up the managerial role of the youngsters at the start of the current season. Wells is also the grandson of Spurs legend Cliff Jones.

The club have confirmed that Wells' coaching responsibilities will be managed by the existing coaching structure within the Academy.

Best of luck with the new role, Matt.

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/spurs-confirm-coach-has-left-the-club-to-join-fulham/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker says Fulham's Premier League survival bid is not 'mission impossible'
Stuart Gray and Matt Wells confirmed as Parker's backroom team

Fulham caretaker manager Scott Parker believes his side can still achieve Premier League survival, saying it is not "mission impossible".

Parker's side are currently ten points adrift of safety with nine games remaining and face tough fixtures in March, hosting second-placed Liverpool and travelling to leaders Manchester City, with both games live on Sky Sports.

Before that, however, Fulham face a trip to the King Power Stadium on Saturday to take on Brendan Rodgers' Leicester in what will be Parker's first away match in charge and Rodgers' first home game at the helm.

"It's not mission impossible, I'll be sitting here lying if I said it was easy but while there's realism we'll give it a go," Parker said.

"When you're in this position every game is must win. It's a tough game and we're looking forward to it but we understand the predicament we're in.

"There's a real focus and effort to try and unite the club and bring the fans closer to the players, that message stays the same but we also understand we're in a job where we have to win.

"At the moment it's easy to motivate [the players]. I have to change the focus from being relegated, spending a lot of money, that's not my focus.

"My focus is do your best, give as much as you can every game, and I know the football will come from that."

Parker was handed the Fulham reins on a temporary basis until the end of the season after Claudio Ranieri was dismissed last week and suffered a narrow loss to west London rivals Chelsea in his first game on Sunday.

On Thursday, it was confirmed that Stuart Gray and Matt Wells had joined Parker's backroom team, with Mills arriving from Tottenham.

"[There was] real heart and determination [against Chelsea]," Parker added. "That message stays the same. It's a foundation, this year at times we haven't backed our performances.

"I never doubted on Sunday we'd get that reaction, it was an easy job for me in that sense and the tough job comes when we're backing it up."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11657697/scott-parker-says-fulhams-premier-league-survival-bid-is-not-mission-impossible

WhiteJC

Scott Parker transcript: Fulham boss on motivating the players, mission possible & more

Everything the Fulham caretaker had to say ahead of his side's trip to Leicester City in the Premier League

Any injuries?

There are no fresh injuries, it's the same injuries - Bettinelli, Mawson and Schurrle.

Schurrle has a virus at the moment so we're hoping in the next week he'll be back and over it and kicking on again.

Encouraging performance against Chelsea - ten points adrift, Leicester must win?

When you're in this position every game is must win until now until the end of the season.

It's a tough game and every game is in this league, we're looking forward to it but understand the challenges and the predicament we're in.

I stated last week there's a real focus and effort from us as coaches to try and unite the club and bring the fans closer to the players, that's drifted away from us the last few weeks, that message stays the same but we also understand we're in a job where we have to win games.

Hard to see Fulham staying up though, mission impossible?

It's not mission impossible because there's games to play and points to be had.

I'd be sitting here lying if I said it was an easy task ahead of us, that's not the case but while there's a realistic chance we'll give it a go.

Take out of Chelsea that makes you think you can win at Leicester?

A real heart, determination, I said before that message stays the same. It's a foundation we need to build our performance on, that's what we need to back up and this year at times we haven't backed our performances due to a number of things, the league you're in, the quality you're up against.

The first change is all change and it's easy to get the message across, I never doubted on Sunday we'd get that reaction, it was an easy job for me in that sense and the tough job comes when we're backing it up and that's what we need to do at the weekend against a good side that has changed the manager.

(Image: GLYN KIRK/AFP/Getty Images)

It will be a tough ask but we're in a good position to do that.

Tasted the hot set, how much do you want this job permanently?

I've been given the role for the next nine games, I stated last week my view is it's been a process for me to try and become a manager.

I have an affiliation with this club which is helpful and I'll treat this job in the long term in the sense of every decision I make will be for the best of Fulham, whether I'm here in ten games time or not, I'll have an eye on thing and trying to leave the club with a stamp that will be an improvement.

If you go down fighting it will be a statement if you do get the job

Hopefully. It's a big ask for us and we need to see improvements and bring something back here which I know, I said it last week, there's certain things you can't guarantee when you walk out but there are some you can and so long as the team give that and the fan sitting in a seat understands 'we've lost a game'.

I'm not saying there's a way to lose games, we've lost games this year and over the next nine we will too but there's a way to lose and if we can maintain performance levels, hunger, desire, I know over the course of the next few weeks we will be in a better place.

Calum Chambers celebrates with his team-mates after scoring against Chelsea (Photo by Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Come up against Brendan Rodgers this weekend, thoughts on him?

I know him pretty well, he's a top manager with vast experience.

He's been at top clubs in Liverpool and played attractive football at Swansea and we saw with he did at Celtic.

He's a week into it and getting his point across, they'll be in a similar position to us really.

Taken stick for walking out on Celtic

It's like anything, it's Brendan's decision and he's got his reasons. I can't comment on that.

Reservations on VAR?

I haven't got reservations. Certain things will still be up for debate and like anything, the game moves so quick, when you see it in slow-mo it's totally different at that moment in time.

How steep has the learning curve been?

It's helped massively - if I was walking in here first seeing it, I wouldn't see the problems that lie ahead and would take a bit longer to understand.

It's helped me immensely seeing it first hand and how I think I can address certain things has been a real help.

Feeling is 'if only this change had been made earlier' - almost impossible?

It's very slim, there's a big task in front of us and we understand that. As mad as it sounds,it's not my focus in a sense, I understand it's a by product and there's foundations and a base you give yourselves to win football matches.

Nine games left, I want to win every game but winning matches is a by-product of hard work, determination, driving standards daily in training.

If I can get them right and that be the focus of the football club, I know the squad is good enough to win football matches.

Are you telling the players that? How easy to motivate?

At the moment I'm finding that really easy to change the focus. The majority this year is how bad we've done, the focus this year is we're going to get relegated.

The focus has been that we've spent a lot of money and where have we spent it. That's not my focus.

My focus to the players is just do your best, do as much as you can every single day, drive standards , have world class standards, I know the football will come from that.

There's been a bit of gloom around the place and that's players included. I've been in situations as a player where every comment you read and every bad pass you play feels like a absolute ton of bricks coming down on you.

That's the cold reality and me trying to sieve away certain elements of that and trying to refocus and say let's forget about that, this is what we need to do.

I certainly feel like it's helped the players and I hope it helps everyone else.

Winning away? Why is that?

It's been tough on the road, every team that is down there in the relegation battle, your key is can you nick some points on the road and we've not managed to do that.

We've been a little bit vulnerable at times and we need to try and change that for sure.

Can I put a finger on it and say that's a reason why, I'll be brutally honest and there's nothing that jumps out on me. We need to fix it a little bit and hopefully we can do that.

How would you describe the morale, seen a change?

The boys seem upbeat, certainly the performance at the weekend, I felt we were always going to get that performance but like anything if you get it you can build on it.

We lost the game.

Football clubs are places where on a Saturday you lose, you come in on a Monday morning and as you can imagine it's the worst environment in the world. We've lost a lot of games this season and we've not had many Monday mornings what have been bright and bubbly.

Over the course of time it's taken its toll a little bit to the point we are at now.

Certainly we lost at the weekend but there was a real willingness, and that's what we need to show against Leicester.

We need to back it up with two games, three games, four games, but there's a way to lose.

Alfie Mawson to feature before the end of the season?

I hope so, he's coming back from knee surgery, he's been out for a little time and he's been a big miss.

He was a big signing in the summer and before he broke down with his knee he was playing really well. He's on the right road and it will all go smoothly.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/scott-parker-transcript-fulham-boss-15936095

WhiteJC

Leicester City injury news as Jamie Vardy has stitches in tongue ahead of Fulham clash

City striker was involved in a heavy collision with Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster last weekend

Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy will be fit to face Fulham on Saturday despite a heavy collision with Ben Foster in the 2-1 defeat to Watford last weekend.

Vardy crashed into Foster as he tried to connect with James Maddison's free-kick at Vicarage Road, leaving both players on the floor requiring treatment.

Although Vardy showed few ill effects – scoring City's goal against the Hornets – boss Brendan Rodgers has revealed that his striker had to have stitches in his tongue as a result of the collision.

But, Rodgers added that his no.9 would be to fit to play against the relegation-battling Cottagers in the his first match in the King Power Stadium's home dugout.

"He's fine, he obviously took a bad knock," said Rodgers. "Jamie had a couple of stitches in his tongue as well as part of the collision he had last weekend.

"But he is fine. He's trained well and we have another 24 hours to go, but he will be fine for the weekend.

"(The stitches) were just through the collision – it hasn't stopped him talking, mind."

Rodgers has no fresh injury concerns ahead of his debut in the King Power Stadium's home dugout, with Daniel Amartey (ankle) and Marc Albrighton (hamstring) the only players sidelined.

"No, they are all fit and well, and ready to play," added Rodgers.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-injury-news-vardy-2619927

WhiteJC

'It is not mission impossible... there are games to play and points to be had': Scott Parker believes Fulham can earn Premier League survival as caretaker boss prepares side for Leicester trip

Scott Parker is refusing to write off Fulham's hopes of avoiding relegation
    The ex-Fulham midfielder took over as caretaker boss after Claudio Ranieri left
    With nine matches left, Fulham are 10 points adrift of Premier League safety
    They need a miracle run in which will start away to Leicester City on Saturday

Caretaker boss Scott Parker maintains it is 'not mission impossible' to keep Fulham in the Premier League.

With nine matches remaining, the second-bottom Cottagers are 10 points adrift of safety and with a vastly inferior goal difference to the team they are chasing in 17th place, Southampton.

Parker, who last week replaced the sacked Claudio Ranieri, takes his side to Leicester on Saturday desperate to kickstart the most remarkable of survival bids.

Fulham caretaker boss Scott Parker insists surviving in the Premier League is not 'impossible'

Despite Fulham's perilous position following a run of five straight defeats, the 38-year-old clings to hope.

'It is not mission impossible, because there are games to play and points to be had,' Parker said. 'I would be sitting here lying if I said it was an easy task ahead of us. That is obviously not the case but while there is realism we'll give it all we have got.'

Parker added: 'When you're in this position we are in, every game is going to be a must-win game from now until the end of the season. We have to understand that.

Parker took over from Claudio Ranieri last week after the Italian was sacked over poor form

'Obviously it is a very tough game ahead of us but every game is in this league.

'We're looking forward to it but understand the challenge we face and the predicament we're in.'

Former Fulham midfielder Parker, who has been given the caretaker job until the end of the season, suffered a 2-1 home defeat by west London rivals Chelsea in his first match at the helm.

Parker, though, believes the signs were there for progress.

'It (Chelsea game) is a foundation we need to build our performance on. That's what we need to back up,' he said. 'This year at times we haven't backed up our performances due to a number of things - the league you're in, the quality you're up against.

'The first change is all change and it's easy to get the message across. I never doubted on Sunday we would get that reaction. It was an easy job for me in that sense.

The former Cottagers midfielder insists it is a 'tough job' but the squad must retain belief

'The tough job comes when we're backing it up, and that's what we need to do at the weekend against a good side that has changed the manager.

'It will be a tough ask but we're in a good position to do that.'

Parker feels togetherness will be key over the remaining games, which also include successive home fixtures against title challengers Liverpool and Manchester City.

'There's a real focus and effort, certainly from the coaches, to try and unite the club, bring the fans closer to the players, because that has probably drifted away from us the past few weeks,' Parker said at a press conference.

'That message stays the same, of course, but we also understand we're in a job where we have to win.'

On Thursday, it was confirmed Stuart Gray and Matt Mills, who was Tottenham under-18s coach, had both joined the Fulham backroom staff.

Fulham have nine wins to close a 10-point gap and start the run at Leicester on Saturday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6782759/Scott-Parker-feels-not-mission-impossible-Fulham-secure-Premier-League-survival.html

WhiteJC

Parker's press conference

Scott Parker appeared in front of the Press following a stern Derby Day display of guts and determination ahead of our visit to Leicester on Saturday.

The 38-year-old feels the main challenge for his side is to follow-up the display against our South West London rivals with an equally impressive one against Leicester on Saturday.

"When you're in the position we're in, every game is a must win game. We understand that every game is tough, we know the challenges and the predicament we are in.

"There was a real focus to try and unite the Club and bring the fans closer to the players. We understand we are in a job to win games. I'd be lying if I said it was easy. Whilst it's realistic to at least try and stay up we will still give it everything.

"The heart and determination against Chelsea was excellent. That was a foundation we need to build upon. At this moment in time it's a role for nine games that I've been put in charge of.

"Every decision I make will be in the best interest of Fulham Football Club which will hopefully improve them. I never doubted that we would get the reaction we did. The tough job is backing that up with another similar performance."

The game against The Foxes will mark a new era for both sides, with Brendan Rodgers taking his first game in charge at the King Power Stadium.

"I know Brendan Rodgers pretty well, he's vastly experienced. Leicester understand what he can bring. He's been at top clubs like Celtic and Liverpool. They will be up for it with fresh ideas. He's been there a week to try and get his ideas across. 

"If I was walking into this Club for the first time it would take longer to understand the situation. It helps how I can shape how I'm going to address things. I've seen things first hand which has been a real help. This squad is good enough to compete.

"Results have been tough on the road. We've struggled, every team down there with us thinks about nicking a point on the road and we need to address the vulnerability."

"I'm finding it easy to motivate this group. The focus is on how badly we've done and how much money has been spent. My focus is 'do your best and to give it as much as possible.'"

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/07/parker-press conference

WhiteJC

How Scott Parker is trying to change the focus at Fulham and lift the doom and gloom

A lot of emphasis this season has been on the amount of money spent and the poor performances

One of the major things Scott Parker has set about doing since taking over at Fulham is changing the focus of the squad and lifting the gloom surrounding the place.

The side have been through two managers already in Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri and are facing immediate relegation to the Championship, sitting ten points off safety with only nine games left.

Lots has been said about how badly things have gone this season and about how much money was spent by Tony Khan and the recruitment team in the summer, with both of those issues being the main focus for a large part of this campaign.

But Parker wants to change that - he wants to turn the side's focus away from the negatives and focus on what they can do instead going forward to help the players move away from the gloom that has surrounded Craven Cottage this year.

He said: "At the moment I'm finding that really easy to change the focus. The majority this year is how bad we've done, the focus this year is we're going to get relegated.

"The focus has been that we've spent a lot of money and where have we spent it. That's not my focus.

"My focus to the players is just do your best, do as much as you can every single day, drive standards , have world class standards, I know the football will come from that.

(Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

"There's been a bit of gloom around the place and that's players included. I've been in situations as a player where every comment you read and every bad pass you play feels like a absolute ton of bricks coming down on you.

"That's the cold reality and me trying to sieve away certain elements of that and trying to refocus and say let's forget about that, this is what we need to do.

"I certainly feel like it's helped the players and I hope it helps everyone else."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/how-scott-parker-trying-change-15938267

WhiteJC

U18s: West Ham Preview

Fulham Under-18s have some momentum as they head into another fixture at Motspur Park against West Ham. The game follows a rearrangement after the original date was postponed due to snow.

Wins against Norwich and Leicester have propelled Colin Omogbehin's side to within four points of their opponents on Saturday who sit in fourth place .

The Hammers go into the game on the back of a 5-3 defeat to unbeaten Tottenham, however, a string of three league wins prior to that result had Mark Phillips' side with a firm grip on fourth.
Last Time Out:

The second away game of the season saw The Hammers run out convincing 4-1 winners. Jean-Pierre Tiehi with the consolation goal as the Young Whites were well beaten by a strong West Ham outfit.
View From the Gaffer:

Colin Omogbehin is satisfied with the progress his side have made over the last few weeks, and wants that form to continue.

"We've made very good progress with back-to-back wins which has been excellent for the boys, we're very happy." He told fulhamfc.com. "Like with everything, we want to go into every game with confidence and try to win it. West Ham are a very good side and one that were excellent against us earlier in the season. We are expecting a tough test but one which we will be relishing.

"The boys have gained a lot of confidence and belief in the last few weeks. The chances that we created weren't coming off but now they are. We are taking those chances and becoming more resilient defensively. We are getting the rub of the green for once.

"The first goal is important. We are a team that will create. Once we get one goal we know there will be more. For me it's all about belief and we are starting to get some results."

New York City were in town on Wednesday as another game for the Young Whites to showcase their skills. The game ended in a 1-1 draw with Fabio Carvalho continuing his impressive scoring form.

"Every game is an opportunity to put into practice what we worked on. The team has benefited from having a friendly on a Wednesday then a game on a Saturday.

"Fabio has scored a number of important goals in important games or times. He's played in a slightly different role at times which has shown a great mentality and understanding. We are delighted with his progress. The key is to keep working hard and keep impacting these games.

He isn't an out and out winger. He can play what I like to call an inside left. He plays in between a full back and centre half so he is difficult to pick up. He has performed well as a ten in his natural position. But any player who can play in a couple of positions is good for their development."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/07/u18s-west-ham-preview

WhiteJC

Lawro's Premier League predictions v Tom Kerridge and 'The Beast' aka Wycombe striker Adebayo Akinfenwa

Fresh from their remarkable win in Paris, Manchester United return to Emirates Stadium on Sunday in search of another vital victory.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side have already beaten Arsenal once on the road, in the FA Cup in January, but can they repeat that trick to boost their hopes of a top-four finish?

BBC football expert Mark Lawrenson said: "Injuries and suspension meant United were down to the bare bones against Paris St-Germain but I liked what Ole said about how at least the unfamiliar team he put out was full of energy.

"That win will have taken an awful lot of out them physically so I was tempted to go for Arsenal this time, but the Gunners have to travel to play in the Europa League on Thursday night against Rennes.

"So they are not going to be fresh either and, even if United are tired, they will be absolutely flying in terms of confidence."

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week he is up against chef Tom Kerridge and 'The Beast' - aka Wycombe striker Adebayo Akinfenwa.

Manchester United fan Kerridge cooked for Akinfenwa for a Football Focus feature before Wycombe's League One game against Sunderland on Saturday.

'The Beast' is a Liverpool fan who is very excited about how this weekend's games will affect the Premier League title race, and his side's prospects against the Black Cats.

He told BBC Sport: "Watford are going to win and Liverpool are going to win, and that opens it back up again at the top.

"And I want to put it out there that Wycombe have got this and we are going to win too - 100%."

LAWRO'S PREDICTIONS

Leicester v Fulham

Brendan Rodgers lost his first game as Leicester manager, at Watford last weekend, but this is a good opportunity for him to get up and running.

Fulham have lost eight of their past nine league games and have the worst away record in the top flight this season, after taking only two points from a possible 45.

I could see what Rodgers was trying to do against Watford, but the problem was Leicester's passing was so slow that it almost always let the Hornets get back into position.

I think we we will see them increase the tempo of their passing against Fulham, and they will need to. Otherwise they will just be playing in front of them, which looks pretty but is not particularly effective.

What might help is if Harry Maguire uses the ball more positively when he brings it out of defence, because he has definitely got the ability to do that.

Against Watford, he came so far but then just passed it without trying to hurt them. I want to see him keep the ball and commit someone from the opposition, because that is one way to open teams up, and also pinging clever passes straight through to Jamie Vardy, or runners from midfield.

Fulham improved against Chelsea last time out - they made some chances and certainly put in plenty of effort.

But they were at home and they were always going to have a go in a local derby.

They also got a lift from Scott Parker taking charge of his first game, but it boiled down to the quality of the players - and they lost because they just were not good enough.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Tom's prediction: Leicester have a new manager and Fulham are struggling, so Leicester are going to win. 2-1

The Beast's prediction: Leicester are at home too, so there will be lots of noise for Brendan Rodgers' first home game. I think Fulham will score because they are good going forward, but they are not so good at defending. 2-1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47402337

WhiteJC

Paul Merson's predictions: Arsenal vs Manchester United, Chelsea vs Wolves and more

Leicester vs Fulham (Saturday, 3pm)

Brendan Rodgers has been able to work with the Leicester players for a whole week now and get his ideas across. I think Leicester will win this game, there will be a feel-good factor around the club with it being a home game. It's a nice game for Rodgers to have as his game at the King Power.

I thought Fulham did alright against Chelsea on Sunday, and there were times when they caused Chelsea problems. This time, they will have to come out and chase the game because Jamie Vardy, James Maddison and Demarai Gray with their pace will be able to punish Fulham. It was alright against Chelsea, they could sit back and counter-attack, but now they need to win.

PAUL PREDICTS: 3-1 (12/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11657461/paul-mersons-predictions-arsenal-vs-manchester-united-chelsea-vs-wolves-and-more

WhiteJC

Fulham's delusional revisionism of Roy Hodgson's time as Liverpool manager

Fulham's official matchday programme recently published a sarcastic take on Liverpool fans' treatment of Roy Hodgson, which is far from the reality and laughable to say the least.

Where do you start with Fulham?

The first promoted side to the Premier League ever to burn through more than £100 million. Eye-watering spending, somehow acquiring talent such as the likes of Jean Michael Seri along the way.

Yet destined for immediate relegation, it very much seems.

Why does this matter? Well, the Cottagers will soon be hosting Jurgen Klopp's title hopefuls and, to take their minds off apparent imminent doom, the club opted to resurface a grudge they've clearly been harbouring for several years.

In their recent match day programme the creative bodies at Fulham decided to recount the reasons why their once messiah Roy Hodgson should not have departed west London for Merseyside.

Fulham's official programme on Hodgson

"Having taken the Whites to the Europa League Final, Roy was voted LMA Manager of the Year in 2010.

"He was nevertheless given a frosty reception on his subsequent appointment at Liverpool, with fans being unmoved by his success with smaller provincial clubs like Inter Milan," read the article.

"Realising that Roy was not going to win the league immediately and angered by his failure to buy the world's best players, who would obviously jump at the chance to sign for the team that had dominated Europe a mere three decades earlier, fans quickly lost patience.

"Demonstrating the cool-headed pragmatism that has endeared them to the footballing public, the Liverpool faithful demanded Roy's replacement be an exciting young manager befitting the club's stature.

"Setting the time circuits to 1991, the club's executives piled into the waiting DeLorean and floored it to '88, returning with a fresh-faced and energetic Kenny Dalglish, ready to usher in a new era of dominance spearheaded by future club legend Andy Carroll, a shrewd purchase at just £35m.

"Unfortunately, however, Alex Ferguson and Wayne Rooney recovered the time machine, went back to 1991, stole the Sports Almanac and brutally laid out Jan Molby at the 'Enchantment Under the Sea' dance.

"This left the club with no option but to drag present day Kenny out of the pub and into the dugout, skewing the timeline and culminating in an underwhelming eighth-place finish and Kenny's departure (again)."

Bizarre, I know. But the nibbling fear of relegation does strange things to a club.

Among the multiple snarks and jibes the Cottagers accused Reds of not being convinced by a manager who took charge of 'smaller provincial clubs like Inter Milan.'

Further sarcasm-laced paragraphs followed, almost as if the chaps over by the Thames really did need to get something off their chest.

A dig was made at Liverpool's lowly standing pre-Hodgson, and an unwillingness from any top players to sign.

Granted, they probably weren't wrong there. But what an unusual argument to make. In their keyboard-bashing delirium they proceeded to make a swipe at King Kenny, and at this point it all gets a bit out of hand.

Let's right a few wrongs here. Was Hodgson taken from Fulham following an over-achieving and perhaps dictionary-definition 'outstanding' period of form? Yes.

He took the spritely west London rabble to the Europa League final. Fair bloody play, mate.

He gave that mob a fantastic season, an excuse to book several away-day flights for the first time in seemingly ever – wrap up their prawn sandwiches in foil, cork the Prosecco in a hip flask and make off for long trips to far foreign lands. All very lovely.

Did he win it? No he did not.

However, that's besides the point. Well done Roy, and all that. Was he – however – supposed to come to Liverpool and progress from these exploits and enrich the sleeping giants of Merseyside with the new elite level experience he had gleaned, against all odds? Yes. Absolutely.

Did he? Not even slightly my friend.

Listen, in Premier League football you live by the sword and die by the sword.

If you rock up to the biggest gig of your career and place a peace offering of a neatly wrapped up Paul Konchesky on the table, then pursue a move for Carlton Cole, you're going to get laughed out of the place.

Imagine then following that up with Christian Poulsen? Christ almighty. Likewise, the unveiling photo at Anfield containing Milan Jovanovic, plus Danny Wilson and a tired-looking Joe Cole still haunts me, you know. It probably does you also.

The thing Fulham should have understood, but obviously never will, is that Hodgson was not coming to Anfield to be judged by their standards.

Fair enough, European Cup runs provide dizzying highs which last a lifetime. They're beautiful, high-octane thrillers which ignite the senses even decade later. But Fulham's Europa League run was all but a distant memory by the time Hodgson realised the water was up to his ears at Anfield.

Kopites were irked upon Hodgson's arrival. Sure, it didn't help the poor bloke that a Champions League winner had been ejected just before him, but the whole appointment itself just screamed lacklustre. He was, contrary to popular opinion in London, given a fair crack at the whip.

No Liverpool fan ever wants a manager to fail, regardless of whether their appointment is met with excitement, or not. The Reds were headed for the doldrums and nobody wanted that. Hodgson HAD to be different, the Kop would lend him the hand needed.

Yet after a few disjointed performances, and a few more, Hodgson opted to come out with the priceless little gem: "We were unbelievably over-staffed when I came to the club and, if the truth be known, we still are over-staffed."

Alright, that's fairly sound, happens to a lot of managers. But imagine saying that when the aforementioned Konchesky and Poulsen are making themselves at home, Fabio Aurelio has just been re-signed after having already been let go and new-boy Jovanovic is going about his business of proving to everybody he's not actually a footballer.

It was madness, nothing made sense. Hodgson brought in Raul Merieles who had a solid performance in his locker when he wanted, but that was all we had to go off.

"Don't worry though, lads," he may as well have said. "Soon I'll have disillusioned one of the best strikers the club has ever had to the point he'll sign for a bitter rival... that will trim the hefty squad"

Honestly, at times, I don't blame Fernando Torres for packing his bags.

Compare that to now, it's absolutely terrifying. In a sense it makes this season all the more special, and spikes frustration tenfold when Twitter's teenage minions cry out passionately as the Reds go one point behind arguably the best team to ever grace the Premier League – having lost just once all season.

It's only eight years since the Hodgson days, he was given the bullet in January 2011. Back then, if you'd have told me within the next ten years the Reds would pick themselves up – get back into two major European cup finals and fight for the title like never before, I wouldn't have believed you – not even slightly.

"They'll be a formidable challenge," Hodgson said in the September of his six months tenure...

Who was he speaking of, you ask. Chelsea? Bitter foes Manchester United? ... Northampton Town.

Northampton bloody Town. Honestly, just shoot me now. That was the thinking at the time, and it's still barely funny even now. The comment from Hodgson was one in passing, but it reverberates back across his Anfield legacy and shall do forever more.

Hodgson truly made a rod for his own back following the defeat in the Merseyside derby, after which he decided to come out with the masterful line of: "To get a result here would have been Utopia"...

Oh, how many a Toffee loved that one. When Liverpool Football Club has become the comedy act of the city, you know something is going badly amiss. Thankfully order has kindly been restored, as the Blues continue about feverishly celebrating their recent 0-0 victory.

"[It was] as good as we have played all season," Hodgson continued in his digest of the derby defeat, presumably multi-tasking by answering the question and furiously digging his own grave.

If you come to Anfield and start poorly, continue poorly, and oversee a team you were supposed to breathe new life into slump down to 19th, there's only ever going to be one ending.

Look, let's be fair – is Roy Hodgson a good football manager? Yes, he is... at a certain level.

Crystal Palace, West Brom and Fulham? For sure. Liverpool and England? Afraid not.

He's one of the most well-travelled coaches in the world, has vast experience and an infectious love of the beautiful game. Tactically he knows his way around a Premier League fixture – as he showed all too stunningly by putting Pep Guardiola's lot to the sword at the Etihad in December and serving up a shock of the season.

Cheers again for that, Roy. Repeat performance on April 14th please and I'll personally chip into Fulham's crowdfunder for the statue of you they're evidently so desperate to erect.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/03/fulhams-delusional-revisionism-of-roy-hodgsons-time-as-liverpool-manager/

WhiteJC

First Team Staff Additions

Fulham Football Club can today officially announce the appointments of Stuart Gray and Matt Wells who join the First Team coaching staff.

Stuart Gray, a member of the First Team backroom staff which gained promotion to the Premier League following Play-Off Final success at Wembley last May, returns having left the Club last summer and will be working with and supporting Caretaker Manager Scott Parker as Assistant Manager.

Matt Wells also joins Scott Parker's staff as First Team Coach. He joins from Tottenham Hotspur where he had been in charge of their Under 18s side which is currently second in the table. Matt is reunited with Scott, both having worked together at Spurs' Training Centre with the U18s last season.
Speaking to fulhamfctv earlier today, Parker said:

"I was a player under Stuart and he brings a wealth of experience. He's great around the lads in the sense that the lads respect Stuart, he understands the Club, he understands the people that work at the Club.

"I worked with Matt at Spurs. He was fantastic for me as someone who was just going into a full-time coaching role. He impressed me immensely and I'm absolutely delighted we've been able to get him because I know he'll be a massive addition, not just for me and the team but I know he will be a massive addition for Fulham."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/07/coaching-staff-additions

WhiteJC

3 players Norwich should sign when they get promoted including this Fulham star

Norwich City opinion: 3 players Norwich should sign if they get promoted

Norwich City have been on fire in the Championship this season and are two points clear of Leeds United at the top. A promotion back to the Premier League looks likely at this stage and they will need reinforcements to compete in the top-flight next season.

Here are 3 players with top-flight experience this summer that Norwich needs to consider signing:

Maxime Le Marchand

The former Nice centre-back joined Fulham at the start of the season but hasn't quite reached the level that everyone expected him to. However, the Frenchman is a solid defender and on his day, he is an absolute nightmare for the opposition forwards.

With Fulham's chances of survival looking very bleak, Norwich should move in for the Frenchman with the guarantee of Premier League football next season and the 29-year old would be a brilliant addition to Daniel Farke's side.

Aaron Mooy

Mooy has been one of Huddersfield's best players since they gained promotion to the Premier League two years ago. Naturally a box-to-box midfielder, Mooy can play both as a number 10 and as a number 6, and would bring some much-needed steel to Norwich's midfield.

With Alexander Tettey turning 33 in a couple of months, Norwich will need an experienced hand in the middle of the park and Aaron Mooy would be a brilliant option, especially with Huddersfield's time in the Premier League coming to an end.

Mooy has played over 50 games in the Premier League and is used to the high paced game in the top-flight. His experience will prove to be a massive boon for Norwich if they were to sign him in the summer.

Remi Oudin

Oudin, although he is not as experienced as the above two, has been having a fine season for Stade Rennais this season.

A right winger by trade, Oudin is capable of playing on both flanks and has scored 8 goals and provided 3 assists in the Ligue 1 this season.

Oudin would provide immense competition to Norwich's 22-year-old winger Emiliano Buendia and would push their attacking potential to the next level.

Oudin's service in the final third will be extremely beneficial for the Canaries especially with Teemu Pukki being in incredible form this season.

https://soccersouls.com/3-players-norwich-should-sign-if-they-get-promoted/

WhiteJC

Key battles to watch for: Leicester City vs Fulham
A shame we won't be seeing Claudio

Brendan Rodgers tenure at Leicester City got off to a slightly rocky start last weekend, so he could do with a result against a Fulham team who haven't had any points for some time now. The Cottagers have changed managers as well and with just one game played under Scott Parker, it's hard to predict exactly how they'll look.

We've broken down some of the key areas and individual match ups that could decide the outcome.

1. Maguire/Morgan/Evans vs Mitrović
Aleksandar Mitrović has more goals than his two highest scoring teammates combined, and three times as many expected goals as the next highest Fulham player. To say that he's key to their attacking plans is somewhat of an understatement.

The Foxes back three are all big and strong enough to contend with him in the air, but will still need to be at their best to do so. When his aerial presence is nullified, Fulham have a very hard time scoring.

Even at home, you'd expect them to sit deep and look to break quickly. There's still a little uncertainty in this new defensive system, and Morgan was caught out last week. Mitrović likes to push the boundaries, having been caught offside more than almost anyone this year, so the back line absolutely has to stay disciplined if they're going to push up the pitch.

2. Force them through the middle
As above, Mitrović is very important to Fulham's game plan, and quite predictably so, with the majority of his chances and goals based around getting his head on the end of crosses.

Everyone on the pitch will know Fulham want to get the ball out wide and cross into him, and it'll primarily be up to Ben Chilwell and Ricardo Pereira to stop that (both are top 10 for crosses blocked this year according to whoscored.com).

When forced inside by Chelsea last week, Fulham played the ball predominantly through Tom Cairney. He's a good player, but not the creator they'd need to play that style of football. If Leicester can force them to try and play through the middle, they should struggle to create chances.

3. James Maddison vs Patience
I focussed on defensive battles through the first two because Fulham have conceded the most goals from open play this season, and it's not even close. Scoring should not be a problem.

The home side will likely sit back and try to soak up pressure with a packed and organised defence. Under those circumstances, we know the team will look to James Maddison to try to break them down, though he should have help from the likes of Tielemans and Barnes.

As impressive as he's been at creating chances this year, Madders does have a slight tendency to shoot as soon as there's an opening. He leads the team in shots taken, with nearly as many from outside the area as Vardy has from inside. When it comes to taking too many low-percentage chances, he's the main culprit.

If he and his fellow Foxes can keep calm and keep passing, Fulham can always be broken down to create much better chances.

https://fosseposse.sbnation.com/2019/3/7/18254771/key-battles-leicester-city-fulham-maguire-chilwell-maddison

WhiteJC

Fulham fans will be buoyed by Scott Parker's motivation comments

Before Fulham travel to play Leicester City in a must-win away match on Saturday, Scott Parker struck an optimistic message when speaking to the media.

Parker's positive comments about motivating the squad are a welcome departure from the negative mood that has dominated Fulham all year.

"I'm finding it easy to motivate this group. The focus is on how badly we've done and how much money has been spent," Parker told Fulham's club website. "My focus is 'do your best and to give it as much as possible.'"

During Fulham's abysmal year, a lack of effort and motivation in crucial matches appeared to afflict the side — and it occurred during both Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri's tenures.

Under Jokanovic, the Whites failed to show up in massive matches against Cardiff and Huddersfield, and paid the price. Under Ranieri, Fulham struggled to get up for the occasion when faced with pivotal encounters versus Burnley, Crystal Palace, and Southampton.

As a result, when players struggle to show up for vital relegation six-pointers, motivation seems to be an issue for the side. But Parker's newfound energy, simplicity, and passion appear to have revitalised the sorry state of the Fulham squad.

For Fulham to stand any chance of a miraculous Premier League survival push, every single player must be playing to their full potential. And with the motivation of Scott Parker, the Whites may finally be at their best in the league.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-fans-scott-parker-motivation-comments/