more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (14/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 14, 2019, 06:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Introducing: The man Jokanovic should sign if hired, Kevin McDonald

West Bromwich Albion fans may feel slightly confused as to why Darren Moore has been relieved of his duties as he enjoyed a lot of success in the current campaign. But, the club clearly didn't like where they were heading, so now supporters will wait anxiously for a managerial decision.

Interestingly, Slavisa Jokanovic held talks with Luke Dowling yesterday and it now appears (as per Birmingham Live) as if the ex-Fulham boss is Mark Jenkins' No.1 target.

Indeed, the Serbian wouldn't exactly be a bad choice for the Baggies as he's done it all before in the Championship having taken Fulham into the Premier League via the play-offs, so his previous experience of gaining promotion could come in handy for West Brom as they look like settling for a place in the play-offs.

Also, with contacts at his former club Fulham, perhaps he could attract some of their talent to the Hawthorns.

West Bromwich Albion were reportedly (as per Telegraph) interested in signing Kevin McDonald back in the January transfer window, but nothing developed as he ended up staying at Craven Cottage.

The Scotland international featured in 45 out of 49 games in the Championship under Slavisa Jokanovic as captain but he's struggled to make any inroads in the Premier League as he continues to stagnate behind the scenes.

Many fans will agree that strengthening in the middle of midfield could prove crucial in the summer transfer window as Stefan Johansen is set to return to Craven Cottage and Gareth Barry is getting on with age.

McDonald would be perfect for the Hawthorns as he constantly oozes class on the ball, with his long-range passing ability and defensive instincts helping them out in all areas of the field. And, his experience and leadership qualities would work wonders either in the Championship or the Premier League, with Jake Livermore alongside him.

Indeed, bringing Jokanovic to the Hawthorns may just mean that the Baggies get their man in the summer transfer window as he built a great relationship with the Scotsman and got the very best out of him in the Championship.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/introducing/introducing-the-man-jokanovic-should-sign-if-hired-kevin-mcdonald/

WhiteJC

Points, Perspective and Protests

The gaffer has a column! After much reluctance to put pen to paper, the first edition of Sammy James' new column is here. Today, he takes a look at the recent Tony Khan debate, and an update on the #StopTheGreed ticket price campaign, which continues to grow momentum.

It's been a really grim season hasn't it? I thought I'd seen some bad Fulham times, particularly the stewardship of Felix Magath, but this just has been another level. A team of which we expected so much, has delivered spectacularly little. Like everything in modern times, we're all searching for a culprit.

You may have seen this clip on 5 Live Sport last week. Ian Wright, Chris Sutton and Dion Dublin discussing the situation at Fulham, and Ian Wright took particular aim at Tony Khan.

"He hasn't got a clue what he's doing. Get him out!"

Should Fulham owner Shahid Khan really sack his own son? @Ianwright0 points the finger at vice chairman Tony Khan for the club's failings in the transfer market this season.

📲⚽: https://t.co/0kUniWPgQm pic.twitter.com/DMQ9omux62

— BBC 5 Live Sport (@5liveSport) March 4, 2019

I felt uneasy at this, not because I necessarily agreed or disagreed – just because this was so clearly an uninformed opinion. Phrases such as "he clearly hasn't got a clue what he's doing" just did not sit right with me.

Does Ian Wright really understand the inner workings of Fulham's transfer setup? Does he understand that Fulham was a team that got promoted with numerous holes due to returning loanees, injuries and players not fully at Premier League level? Maybe this is also an assumption, but I'm pretty certain he doesn't.

I tweeted about this particular clip, and said that anybody looking to hear an informed, balanced opinion on the subject should read Sam Wallace's insightful article in the Telegraph (you can read for free, you just need to register for an account). It isn't club propaganda, it acknowledges that the Khans have made serious mistakes in the transfer market, but that the situation is far more complicated and nuanced.

Perspective
For me, there's factors this season that could and couldn't have been foreseen. Major injuries to Tim Ream, Joe Bryan, Tom Cairney, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Alfie Mawson obviously fall into the second camp. The lack of consistent form from star-signing Jean-Michael Seri also falls into that bracket. However, the lack of priority investment in our defence, particularly at full-back, was pretty negligent in my opinion.

It just seems though, that the torrent of abuse being sent Tony's way is very indicative of modern life in the media. Somebody does a bad job and they should be instantly FIRED for it. It's become part of the course for football managers, but it seems to transcend to all professions now. Politicians can work tirelessly for 40/50 years, only to fall on their sword due to a careless slip of the tongue in the company of Andrew Marr on a Sunday morning.

Don't get me wrong, Tony Khan and the powers that be at Fulham have done a spectacularly bad job this season, and I'm sure they'd reluctantly agree, as quite frankly the table doesn't lie. Sport is ruthless in that sense, it exposes failure and success quite unlike any other business.

Does it warrant quite the reaction we saw above though from Ian and his comrades on 5 Live? For me, no. If we want to look at the facts, then let's judge Tony on his entire stint. This is the end of his third season, two of which were very successful, the other has been a disaster. I personally believe that there has to be a case that this year is partially cancelled out by the first two.

We are going back to the Championship in a much stronger place than our last relegation 2013/14. We have a young, asset-heavy squad with plenty of Championship experience. Clubs will try and tempt us into selling a few crown jewels, but hopefully given the length of contracts on most key players (Mitro and Cairney both contracted until 2023 for example), the club would receive hefty fees that can be reinvested in the side.

In reality, I think a lot of the negative feeling from fans comes from the nepotism of the situation. It's something I can understand; positions of power should always be truly earnt. Is Tony fully accountable for what he does? Surely not in a way that others would be. However, keeping a business in the family isn't always a terrible idea, and I'm sure Tony would argue that having a direct line to his father (one would assume, an extremely busy man) is in Fulham's best interest.

Ultimately, I'm not critical of those who want a change at the top. My opinion is that we should wait and see what next season brings, but your opinion may differ from that. Differing of view points is good, and I don't think there's a clear right answer here. All I would ask is that people really consider the complexity of everything going on at Fulham before drawing their conclusion.

Protests
As I've made abundantly clear through the #StopTheGreed campaign, is that whilst I can personally live with terrible performances on the pitch, the ticket prices off it have been nothing short of shambolic. The reaction to the article a few weeks ago has been incredible, and the contributions to the GoFundMe page of over £1000 showed just how strong the feeling is on this issue.

Today the Fulham Supporters Trust launched their ticket price survey, one of their most ambitious fan research initiatives to date. Its aim is to provide real data to Fulham about how we as fans feel about the pricing strategy that we are seeing at Craven Cottage. It's about showing that this feeling isn't just of those who use Twitter hashtags, run podcasts and attend supporters trust AGMs, but real every-day fans who feel priced out.

I've been really grateful for the FST's advice to our #StopTheGreed campaign, and this survey in conjunction with the visible protests that we are organising hopefully should send a really strong message to the club. The survey only has real meaning if the volume of participants is there, so please take the 10 or so minutes that it will take to fill it in.

Finally, we have decided that Manchester City on March 30th will be the #StopTheGreed game of action. More details to be announced, but we are working hard to conjure up a really noticeable presence that can draw the issue of ticket pricing into the spotlight of both Fulham and the wider football community.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-03-13-points-perspective-and-protests/

WhiteJC

Fulham player set to leave in the summer, reasonable offer expected to be accepted

There's a claim in the Turkish media that Fulham goalkeeper Fabri will return to Besiktas in the summer as a replacement for Loris Karius.

Karius is expected to have his loan move cut short by the Istanbul club and the German will head back to his parent club Liverpool at the end of the season. There have been reports the Liverpool outcast hasn't been paid by Besiktas in recent months, prompting him to complain to FIFA.

Subsequently Tavkim report the Black Eagles will target Fabri during the next transfer window and they will sit down with Fulham to discuss a move. It's expected the Premier League club will accept a reasonable offer from Besiktas as Fabri looks to kickstart his career.

The Spaniard joined Fulham from Besiktas last summer for a fee believed to be in the region of €6m, but the Spaniard has failed to make his mark since arriving at Craven Cottage, making just two Premier League appearances.

Fabri was linked with a move to Besiktas during the last transfer window but with Karius remaining at the Super Lig club a return to Istanbul never materialised for the Fulham player.

ND

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-player-set-leave-summer-offer-expected-accepted/

WhiteJC

Frankfurt eyeing deal for Fulham right-back Drameh

Frankfurt are eyeing up a summer swoop for Fulham academy right-back Cody Drameh.

According to Calcio Mercato, both Frankfurt and Ligue 1 side Lille are interested in securing a deal for the young defender at the end of the season.

Fulham are currently 19th in the Premier League, with eight games to play, and look set for relegation back down to the second tier of English football.

This could give Frankfurt the chance to persuade Drameh to switch England for Germany and move to the Bundesliga.

The 17-year-old has been a regular in Fulham's under-23 side this season, with 14 appearances in the Premier League 2 – amassing one goal and one assist from right-back.

Frankfurt are currently fifth in the Bundesliga table and still pushing to secure a Champions League spot for next season, which could help to attract a higher calibre of player in the summer. They sit three points behind 3rd place RB Leipzig.

https://readbundesliga.com/2019/03/13/frankfurt-eyeing-deal-for-fulham-right-back-drameh/

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

We got on the front foot against Chelsea and showed a good account of ourselves, so it was a shame we were unable to continue that into the first half at Leicester. But credit to the lads, and also to Scott for his half-time team talk, we were much better after the break. Let's have it right, though, Leicester are a very good team. I saw them the week before when they were unlucky against a very good Watford side. We caught them at a bad time, what with it being their first home game under the new manager, and they were always going to want to put in a strong performance.

After Floyd Ayité equalised we showed a real intensity and purpose, looking like we were going to go on and nick it, but as has often been the case this season we were doled out a great punishment for any mistake made. It is difficult to play well for 90 minutes within a game, but what we've got to try and do is make sure we score during our periods of dominance.

You don't want to blame any individuals, but it is a combination of individual errors and not taking our chances which is costing us. Having said that, there have been encouraging signs – we're looking to get a little bit more on the ball, the boys who got us promoted are back in the side, and now it's just about transforming that into a few results.

We've got a difficult game up next on Sunday, but not that long ago West Ham had a go at Liverpool and should have won the game quite honestly. They showed that, if you get at them, there's a wobble there. You can't leave yourself too vulnerable at the back, though, because the pace of their front three can really hurt you. But I'd say in other departments we can certainly get at them.

First though, Liverpool have got the small matter of Bayern Munich away in the Champions League on Wednesday night. That's evenly poised after the first leg finished goalless at Anfield, so let's hope it goes all the way to extra-time and penalties so that they're knackered for our match! Some people will say a midweek fixture won't affect a team of Liverpool's stature, but it must do – all that travelling and the highs and the lows that come with the Champions League. So I think it's always best to play those big teams pre or post a Champions League match. It's not easy juggling that with the Premier Leagues, and that's when you see hiccups with teams who are going for the title.

It's been a really tight title race which will probably go to the wire, but my money is still on Manchester City. I know they've got the busiest schedule because they're still in all the cup competitions, but there's more quality in that City team, for me. Maybe not in the striking departments, but creatively it's a better team, certainly a better squad, than Liverpool. They're both going to need to fully utilise their squads in this run-in, but there will also be an element of luck, too. It will depend on who had more luck with injuries, suspensions, and who is able to put their best team out on most occasions, because you can cruise through some matches, but getting your best team out on that pitch is key in the run-in.

Of course, City are the next visitors to the Cottage, so we could end up having a say in the title race. If we can turn over one of the big sides, it wouldn't half pick the crowd up. People say it's only three points at the end of the day, but that's nonsense. Beating a big side is a real coup and gives everybody a boost, showing everyone that you can beat anyone. There are only eight games left, but if Scott can win three or four and get the odd draw then he's giving himself grounds for getting the job, and I'm sure the boys will be doing their best for him.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/13/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

Away Day Cycle Powered By Teng Tools
The FFC Away Day Cycle will take place 19–20th April, when Fulham FC fans cycle 140 miles from Craven Cottage to Vitality Stadium. Teng Tools, the Club's Official Hand Tools Partner, is powering the cycle, as the event's main partner.

In its second year, the Away Day Cycle benefits Fulham FC Foundation, raising funds for its 25+ projects. As one of three of the Foundation's main events, the cycle will see 31 riders follow Fulham away, arriving shortly before kick-off at the FFC v Bournemouth match.

In celebration of this partnership, and to encourage FFC fans to show their support for those taking on the challenge, Teng Tools are offering the chance to win a 35 piece mini tool kit, valued at £299, coupled with a signed Ryan Sessegnon 2018/19 home shirt.

How to take part:
Step 1

Contribute £5 to Fulham FC Foundation via JustGiving by following this link: justgiving.com/campaign/tengtools

Contestants must be 18 years of age or older.

Step 2

Answer the following question by typing your answer in the 'message box':

The Away Day Cycle departs from Craven Cottage. What is the name of the stadium cyclists are travelling to?

Step 3

Tick 'No, do not add Gift Aid'. Entry is invalid if Gift Aid is selected.

Step 4

Tick the box that says 'I'm happy to be contacted by Fulham FC Foundation'.

This is the last stage of the donation process before 'Donate now'. Without this, we won't be able to contact you if you win the contest.

Contest closes Tuesday 20th March at 11.59pm. One lucky contest winner will be contacted on 21st March, 2019.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/13/away-day-cycle-powered-by-teng-tools

WhiteJC

Newcastle reportedly renew Josha Vagnoman interest with Fulham also circling

Premier League teams Newcastle United and Fulham reportedly want Hamburg defender Vagnoman while Championship outfit Brentford are keen.

Newcastle United, Fulham and Brentford have all made contact with the agent of Hamburg starlet Josha Vagnoman ahead of the summer transfer window, according to Bild.

An 18-year-old full-back who can play on the right or the left, Vagnoman has impressed this season for a Hamburg side who are targeting an immediate return to the Bundesliga after relegation in 2018/19.

They are currently second in the table, a point behind Cologne.

Bild reports that Vagnoman has plenty of admirers in England. Newcastle, who are lacking depth at both full-back positions, are reported to have expressed an interest in the teenager and opened talks with his representatives.

Fulham are also allegedly keen, with the Cottagers seemingly planning for a return to the Championship with relegation looking inevitable.

Brentford are interested, too and, given that the Bees have made a habit of signing little known youngsters like Ollie Watkins, Neal Maupay and Said Benrahma, a move to Griffin Park could make perfect sense.

Bild adds that Vagnoman is valued at around £6.5 million but Hamburg have no interest in selling right now.

"Josha has developed very well. We find him very exciting. He has a contract, we plan with him and we are not ready to talk," said sporting director Ralf Becker of the defender, who is tied down until 2021.

In July 2018, the Hamburger Morgenpost reported that Newcastle offered £4.6 million for Vagnoman with a wage packet of £30,000 a week. Will they get their man 12 months on?

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/13/do-newcastle-reportedly-renew-josha-vagnoman-interest-with-fulha/

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 16/03
On Sunday we welcome title hopeful's Liverpool to the Cottage.
Following the outcry, in some 'pool quarters, about the gentle ribbing from the last home program, if you didn't read it it contained a comment on how Roy Hodgson was treated by the Liverpool "fans" whilst he was their manager. The article was meant to be a bit of fun, but understandably? some of the "best fans in the world" didn't find it amusing, oh well some you win... (most we loose)

Last weekend's game against Leicester, well the 2nd half was better than the first however we still showed how frail our defence is.
Liverpool are very strong favourites to win this game comfortably however if Scotty and Stuart can build on the team spirit shown in the previous two games we could well give Liverpool a run for their money.

Games of Interest

Saturday 16th
Bournemouth v Newcastle
Burnley v Leicester
West Ham v Huddersfield

Sunday 17th
Fulham v Liverpool

come on over to the Friends of Fulham forum and join in the conversation...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=635

WhiteJC

Fulham and Watford could have new chance to sign target, looking at over €18m

As Italian website Calcio Mercato brings some news on the future of the AC Milan defender Mateo Musacchio today, there's some hope for the Premier League clubs who are interested in signing the 28-year-old.

The outlet claims that Fulham and Watford both made approaches to sign the player in January, but were both blocked by the Serie A side.

At the time, Musacchio was not for sale, with manager Gennaro Gattuso counting on him for the rest of the season. But maybe things could change soon.

Calcio Mercato claims that the player's rise this season would change his price, and that's what would make Milan consider a summer sale.

According to the claims, that the player's contract expires in 2021 also makes Musacchio an interesting potential sale, and an important offer would make the Rossoneri evaluate the situation.

Milan paid €18m to sign Musacchio from Villarreal in 2017, and they would certainly demand more than that from Fulham, Watford or anyone else.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-watford-new-chance-sign-milan-player-summer/

WhiteJC

'He'd be so key' – If West Brom deal is finalised, this 28-y/o could be the go-to man: Opinion

West Brom are moving swiftly to fill their manager vacancy following the sacking of Darren Moore, with former Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic, a person that the Baggies are seriously considering.

This could ultimately prove to be good news for 28-year-old-midfielder Stefan Johansen.

Johansen is on loan from Fulham having signed for the Baggies in January for the remainder of the season, so would surely relish the chance to link up with his old boss.

So could Johansen become a key cog for West Brom if Jokanovic gets the job?

We discuss.....

Jacob Potter

"He'll be key to their promotion push.

"Johansen thrived under the guidance of Jokanovic at Fulham and I can see him playing a crucial role as they target promotion this season.

"If they can get him back to his best, West Brom will have some player on their hands."

Gary Hutchinson

"Yes, he'd be so key.

"He's important now, but not being used in the right way.

"Jokanovic would like to use a general or two.

"He should think about getting hold of Tom Cairney too."

Jay Taylor

"He was the go-to man for the former Fulham boss and would be again.

"If Johansen was not in the London club's XI last year they struggled and he was the lynch-pin that earned them promotion.

"I could see Jokanovic building the team around him if he does take over."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/hed-be-so-key-if-west-brom-deal-is-finalised-this-28-y-o-could-be-the-go-to-man-opinion/

WhiteJC

Fulham player 'wants to return' to previous club and switch being pushed

The Turkish press continues to say that Fulham goalkeeper Fabri may be leaving the club at the end of the season.

Signed from Besiktas in a €6m deal, the Spaniard has only made two appearances for the Cottagers this season, and could be returning to his former club.

Besiktas are likely to soon part ways with Loris Karius, who's confronting the club with allegations he hasn't been paid.

To replace the Dutch goalkeeper, Besiktas would go after Fabri, and the Turkish press seem pretty convinced that a deal is possible.

Local outlet Skor writes today that Fulham 'should accept the offer', since Fabri 'wants to return' to his former club. It's claimed that the transfer 'will be requested by convenience', with the belief it suits everyone involved.

Earlier today, outlet Takvim had very similar claims, saying Fabri is likely the man who will replace Karius at Besiktas for next season.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-player-wants-return-previous-club-switch-pushed/

WhiteJC

Match preview: Fulham v Liverpool

Fulham are without a win since January, when they came back from 2-0 down to beat Brighton & Hove Albion 4-2 at Craven Cottage.

Liverpool have drawn their last three Premier League matches away from Anfield and have scored just once on their travels since a 1-0 win at Brighton in January.

Did you know?
Fulham are looking for their first point against Liverpool since a 1-0 win at Anfield in May 2012.

None of Fulham's 13 Premier League home meetings with Liverpool have finished as a draw, with the Cottagers winning five and losing eight.

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah has had a hand in 12 goals in his last eight PL appearances against promoted sides, scoring six goals and producing six assists.

The Reds are unbeaten in their last 11 PL matches against promoted sides (W10 D1), winning the last eight in a row. They have scored 31 goals and conceded just four in that run since a 2-0 loss at Hull City in February 2017.

Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Lee Betts, Richard West
Fourth official: Paul Tierney

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1088217

WhiteJC

The German star who is attracting the attention of Fulham, Brentford and Newcastle

According to reports in German publication Bild the young defender is turning heads from a number of clubs in England.

We're two months from the end of the season but preparations are already well underway ahead of the opening of the summer transfer window.

According to reports from German publication Bild, Fulham and Brentford are both eying a potential move for starlet Josha Vagnoman.

The 18-year-old currently plays for Hamburg in the German second tier after being relegated from the Bundesliga last term.

A full-back by trade, Vagnoman is thought to have a number of admirers in England, with Newcastle United also thought to be keen.

It's thought that the youngster is valued at £6.5million which would be quite an investment should Brentford and Fulham's interest be confirmed.

(Image: Photo by Buda Mendes - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images)

Newcastle are thought to be the favourites to sign the defender - something that's not surprising given the fact that they look the most likely to be playing Premier League football next term.

Fulham look all-but confirmed to be relegated to the Championship after a poor season in the top flight.

While a move for a young talent such as Vagnoman is not out of the question for the Whites, it's likely that the priority will be on piecing together an already fractured squad to ensure that they're in a position to challenge for an immediate return to the Premier League.

As for Brentford, the development of a young talent such as Vagnoman looks to be right up their street, however a move looks highly unlikely.

If the £6.5million asking price is accurate, it means that a move for Vagnoman would represent a huge outlay of funds for the summer - something which would go against Brentford's business model.

Unless a deal could be agreed for a cut price move, it's likely that the young defender will be out of Brentford's price range.

https://www.football.london/brentford-fc/brentford-news-fulham-newcastle-united-15968978

WhiteJC

West Brom manager latest as Slavisa Jokanovic waits for formal approach

The former Fulham boss is a contender to replace Darren Moore at the Championship club

Slavisa Jokanovic led Fulham to promotion last season (Image: AFP/Getty)

Slavisa Jokanovic is still waiting to hear from West Brom about their managerial vacancy.

Mirror Sport has reported that West Brom have got the former Fulham manager on their short list to replace Darren Moore after his shock dismissal.

But it is understood that West Brom have yet to make contact with Jokanovic and no formal talks have taken place about the job.

It leaves Jokanovic, 50, waiting to hear if they are interested with the Serbian keen to return to English football and it is believed he would be willing to listen.

Jokanovic said in an interview with Mirror Sport in December that working in England again appeals having had successful spells at Fulham and Watford during which time he led them both into the Premier League.

But there have been no talks yet which shows that reports suggesting Jokanovic's demands could be too high are wide of the mark because nothing has been discussed.

Jokanovic has previously been linked with Stoke and Nottingham Forest but the ex-Watford boss has also insisted choosing the right project is more important to him than finance.

West Brom could be a good fit as they are pushing for promotion and have a strong squad but it is now up to them to make their move in their managerial search.

Moore was dismissed last weekend with the club in fourth place at the time and caretaker boss James Shan has been placed in temporary charge.

West Brom, who have also been linked with Preston boss Alex Neil, may wait until the international break before making an appointment.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/west-brom-manager-latest-slavisa-14130878

WhiteJC

Liverpool suffer massive injury blow ahead of Premier League trip to face Fulham

The Reds could be forced to travel to Craven Cottage without a key member of their squad

Liverpool have suffered an injury blow ahead of their trip to face Fulham in the Premier League on Sunday, with a key figure forced off in their Champions League clash with Bayern Munich this evening (Wednesday).

Reds captain Jordan Henderson picked up a knock in the early exchanges of Liverpool's clash with Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena and exited the field inside the opening 15 minutes, with Fabinho introduced as his replacement.

The early word from Jurgen Klopp's side was that the former Sunderland midfielder had rolled his ankle, which could lead to a long-term absence, and he may be unable to feature against Scott Parker's side this weekend.

The match is crucial for both sides, who are at opposing ends of the Premier League table, as Liverpool chase their first league title in 29 years while Fulham are looking to pull off a great escape to retain their top-flight status.

Victory for Liverpool would send the Reds top of the league, with Manchester City in FA Cup action, while a defeat for Fulham could leave Parker's side 13 points from safety with just seven matches to play.

Henderson's injury could also cause problems for England manager Gareth Southgate, who named the 28-year-old in his squad for the upcoming international break - where the Three Lions begin their qualification campaign for the 2020 European Championships with clashes against the Czech Republic and Montenegro.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/liverpool-massive-injury-blow-fulham-15970763

WhiteJC

The redemption of Alan Mullery at Tottenham

It's 17 May 1972. Tottenham are 29 minutes into the second leg of their UEFA Cup final against Wolves and Martin Peters is standing over a set piece, legs wide and eyes trained firmly on the box. It seems innocuous enough as Alan Gilzean and Martin Chivers – the Spurs strikers that evening – dart to the near post.

But amid the defensive confusion, Alan Mullery ghosts unmarked into the six-yard box and stoops low to meet Peters' ball with a diving header. It's in. The fans are jubilant. Spurs have just gone 3-1 ahead on aggregate in the final. Mullery is thoroughly spent, lying face down on the turf as Gilzean and Chivers drag him off the ground.

The Tottenham captain had just scored what proved to be his final goal in the Lilywhite of north London, the glorious crescendo of a season that had come full circle. Beginning with a 2-2 draw at Molineux in August 1971, Mullery ended the campaign hoisted aloft on his teammates' shoulders, a gleaming UEFA Cup in his hands after a 1-1 draw at White Hart Lane nine months later against the same opposition.

Such a romantic swansong, though, may never have been. A recurrent stomach injury and abrupt decline in form ushered in dark clouds of doubt to shroud the end of Mullery's eight-year Spurs career. European glory-chasing Tottenham became relegation-threatened Fulham as the midfielder left on loan in March under circumstances out of his control.

Many – Bill Nicholson, the fans and Mullery himself – believed he'd met his untimely demise. No goodbye, no god bless and no closure to a large portion of his life in which he was so emotionally invested. But a John Pratt broken nose deep into an unprecedented injury crisis proved his saving grace and Mullery was recalled to the fold a solitary day before the UEFA Cup semi-final. He got his closure.

Born in Notting Hill in 1941, Mullery was the son of an electrician and avid footballer, cricketer and boxer. Football was his passion, though, and by 1956, aged 15, he signed for Fulham on the groundstaff, then a promotion-chasing Division Two side. Two years of training and boot-scrubbing elapsed before he signed his first professional contract. By the time Nicholson came calling in 1964, Mullery had a wealth of experience from his six full seasons, convincing Spurs to part with £72,500, a record for a player in his position.

Tottenham, however, were in transition. Nicholson was deep into the process of replacing key members of 1961's double winners – without yet finding a winning formula – and the club had finished third, second and fourth in the years since. It was a tough environment to enter.

To compound the thanklessness of his task, Mullery was signed to replace Danny Blanchflower. Imagine having to fill those boots. Spurs' inspirational double-winning captain and the same Blanchflower that said "the game is about glory" and "doing things in style and with a flourish". The heaviest of legacies.

Mullery never quite found that same flourish. He wasn't particularly stylish either. He was a tough tackling, energetic midfielder who was cut from a different cloth to Blanchflower. Perhaps, then, it was futile to try.

But this is the beauty of time. Once fans digested that Mullery wouldn't quite resemble their hero, they could move on. And by the start of 1965/66 – his second season – Mullery was ingratiated. The team had morphed and Mullery had become the centrepiece, the beating heart of a dynamic midfield, offering energy, passion and aggression in abundance.

Fast forward to 1971 – with a League and FA Cup to show – and Mullery was consistency personified, an influential personality and an essential cog of a side now back in sync after a period of flux. He'd found his inner Blanchflower. A respected figure, Nicholson recognised as much when he appointed him club captain in 1967 after Dave Mackay's transfer to Derby.

Mullery, though, had a secret. He'd suffered from stomach pains throughout the 1971/72 season and was reluctant to tell Nicholson. Deep heat treatment twice daily had failed and an x-ray showed no signs of a break, so specialists concluded that pelvic muscles were the issue. They controlled everything; the ability to run, pass, stop and start. The situation peaked in a 2-0 defeat to Stoke in October 1971 and the pain was finally too much. He had to tell Nicholson.

"In my mind I began to worry," Mullery told Hunter Davies in his book The Glory Game. "I look upon myself as one of the fittest in the team normally, yet I found myself unable to do things I normally do." He was forced into a six-week absence, but his eagerness to return reset his recovery to square one and he had to rest for longer this time – much longer.

With Spurs' form improving over the New Year – two consecutive losses to end 1971 became one defeat in the subsequent 14 – and Pratt impressing in his absence, Mullery's situation looked bleak. The old custom was for injured players to immediately reclaim their starting spot, no questions asked, but with Nicholson reluctant to tinker with a successful side and four reserve team pain-free games under his belt, Mullery grew increasingly convinced that he'd be the exception to the rule. He panicked.

"I need to play," he said. "I must have competition. I've had too many good years at Tottenham to play in the reserves." And that was that. The following day, Mullery packed his bags for Fulham, his career returning to the club where it had begun 15 years earlier as a wide-eyed teenager. Thus, while Spurs lost 1-0 at home to Derby on 11 March, Mullery was travelling second-class with the relegation-threatened Cottagers of Division Two, en route to a 4-0 drubbing at Hull.

But that's not closure, is it? Spurs were still alive in Europe and Mullery had unfinished business in north London. "Tottenham is still the only club I want to play for," he said. Perhaps that was wishful thinking, though, as Mullery envisaged seeing out the season by staving off relegation with Division Two Fulham before quietly completing a permanent transfer in the summer. "Surely the end doesn't come like this?" he lamented. "I get an injury and suddenly, wham, I'm an overnight failure?"

With Mullery's loan ending in April and Tottenham in a run of four games in six days, Nicholson decided to do what he never does and tamper with his side. It didn't work. Not only did Spurs pick up just two points from three games, several players suffered injuries. Crucially, Pratt broke his nose. The day before the UEFA Cup semi-final first leg against AC Milan, Nicholson made a phone call. He needed his captain.

Was it Nicholson's innate desire to bring Mullery back that prompted him to deviate from his modus operandi and tinker? Perhaps it simply was just a lucky break. It didn't matter – Mullery was getting his closure.

He got it in the most dramatic of ways. With the first leg victory giving Spurs a slender 2-1 advantage to take to the San Siro, Milan dominated the early exchanges of the second leg. Tottenham's defence looked porous and Nicholson worried in the dugout. Step forward Alan Mullery. It could only have been him. The captain, back from beyond the grave, sent a powerful first-time shot beyond goalkeeper Fabio Cudicini to make it 1-0 Spurs after seven minutes. Milan now needed three goals to win.

It seemed inevitable that Mullery would score again in the final, a definitive contribution befitting an influential captain, enshrining him as a legend in the club's history books before he was permanently transferred to Fulham that summer. The crowning glory on a marvellous Tottenham career that forever protects his legacy.

This was Mullery's romantic closure. The resolution of an emotional eight years, allowing it to rest peacefully in his psyche, untouched again without loose ends. It was his essential sense of finality, a letting go of what once was. Without closure, the mind can wander interminably through a foggy wilderness of what ifs to a point where it becomes mentally burdensome. Mullery rose and then fell, before rising again to give one final parting gift to the fans that so adored him. It was the perfect ending.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/03/14/the-redemption-of-alan-mullery-at-tottenham/

WhiteJC

Jordan Henderson suffered a twisted ankle in Munich, says Jurgen Klopp

Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Jordan Henderson suffered a twisted ankle against Bayern Munich but is hoping that it's not too serious and is optimistic that the midfielder won't be out for long if at all.

The Englishman went down injured at the beginning of the game and although he tried to play on, he was unable to and Fabinho was subsequently introduced in his place.

Speaking after the game, Klopp said: "It's a big night with a little shadow that is Hendo's twisted ankle.

"It's Hendo so he's a hard one, but we have to see, of course. It looks hopefully not that serious but for tonight we had to change.

"That's always a bad sign for a game, when you have to change early. We trained with him there in that position – we wanted to, not to rest Fabinho, but we wanted to bring in fresh legs and Hendo had fresh legs but unfortunately, that didn't help with the ankle."

While Henderson didn't get to make a meaningful contribution to the game, Fabinho was able to come on and make some really important challenges while his proactive style of play aided Liverpool's hit-and-run style of play on the night.

The Reds now have a few days' rest before they will travel to London to face Fulham at Craven Cottage with the chance to go top of the Premier League as Manchester City face Swansea City this weekend in the quarterfinals of the FA Cup.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2019/03/14/jordan-henderson-twisted-ankle-munich-says-klopp/