more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mitro for £40m?

Started by Southcoastffc, March 16, 2019, 01:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the nutflush

Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 16, 2019, 01:44:19 PM
Interesting snippet in today's Times that if (!) we're relegated and Mitro decides to go we'd ask for £40m. He has 4 years left on his contract and  no release clause.  Also says that Seri, MleM and Schurrle have relegation  pay cuts built in  to their contracts and would want to  go.

Hope we can cash in on Mitro.  Sad to see him go.  The rest can go asap including Seri. 

PartizanFC

Quote from: Robbie on March 16, 2019, 03:33:54 PM
Mitro is a fine player but it is totally unproven he is PL quality. He has been pretty average this season and does not look fit enough.
£40m .... Kerching !   That is 6 decent C-Ship players.

With better support,better croses,quality wingers and one more quality striker to free him space in attacking actions..he will very easy proove that he is non that "average" as you think
Just remember first 7-8 games...

I cant bet that Kane or Aguero can do more in this squad...

cottage expat

Quote from: the nutflush on March 16, 2019, 11:19:17 PM
Interesting snippet in today's Times that if (!) we're relegated and Mitro decides to go we'd ask for £40m. He has 4 years left on his contract and  no release clause.  Also says that Seri, MleM and Schurrle have relegation  pay cuts built in  to their contracts and would want to  go.

Hope we can cash in on Mitro.  Sad to see him go.  The rest can go asap including Seri. 

Fine to cash in on Mitro so long as we don't still have a jackass in charge of recruitment who will misspend said cash.

fulhamben

I'd take 40 mil for him. Did little again today.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

AnOldBrownie

All kinds of good in this post.

I love Mitro...but if you get 40 million for him you can bring in a quality replacement striker with a bit more pace.

People know how I feel about MLM, Seri and Schurrle.

All three can go and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep.   They'll need to be replaced...but I'd get younger up and coming players for all of them.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: PartizanFC on March 17, 2019, 08:33:31 AM
Quote from: Robbie on March 16, 2019, 03:33:54 PM
Mitro is a fine player but it is totally unproven he is PL quality. He has been pretty average this season and does not look fit enough.
£40m .... Kerching !   That is 6 decent C-Ship players.

With better support,better croses,quality wingers and one more quality striker to free him space in attacking actions..he will very easy proove that he is non that "average" as you think
Just remember first 7-8 games...

I cant bet that Kane or Aguero can do more in this squad...

Their much higher work rate, faster pace and clinical finishing when healthy says you're wrong.

I agree that Mitro could do with more service though, but he's not the kind of striker the premiere league is moving towards.    Good hold up #9s who don't have pace aren't the rule, they are the exception.

Giroud and Lukaku are better versions of Mitro and neither starts for their team.

Bite the hand off anyone that's going to give 40 million for Mitro (I don't think anyone is going to do it)

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on March 17, 2019, 04:28:16 PM
I'd take 40 mil for him. Did little again today.

Agree.
Been disappointed in him last few games,yes the support into him isn't great,but you see strikers playing same role as him go hunting the ball to create something, he seems to be waiting for it most of the time now...Think he's had enough imo.

filham

Mitrovic hasn't done a lot for a while now and it may seem good business to cash in on him come the end of the season.
But just stop and think, there just isn't a replacement in sight and remember how we were struggling for a striker before he arrived.

Luka

Benitez was right, Mitro is not a PL striker.
He has some strengths but at this level the defenders are big, strong and mobile, something Mitro struggles with. He will play a tune for us again next season in the championship, but if someone wants  to offer £40m then we should bite thier hand off.

Statto

Quote from: Luka on March 17, 2019, 05:50:00 PM
He has some strengths but at this level the defenders are big, strong and mobile, something Mitro struggles with. He will play a tune for us again next season in the championship, but if someone wants  to offer £40m then we should bite thier hand off.

Couldn't disagree more.
Luckily for us he is off form at the moment so not putting himself in the shop window, which in any case must be difficult in such a crap team, but he remains a top, PL quality player IMO

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 08:25:00 PM

Couldn't disagree more.
Luckily for us he is off form at the moment so not putting himself in the shop window, which in any case must be difficult in such a crap team, but he remains a top, PL quality player IMO

Agree with Statto. Said on another thread that he was playing against top quality defenders today, in a game where we weren't allowed to give him quality service. Can't blame our team; Liverpool are just better, as well as being well-organized and hard working.  But for me, even if Mitro is not top 4, he is good premier league standard.

b+w geezer

Quote from: Whitesideup on March 17, 2019, 08:32:38 PM
But for me, even if Mitro is not top 4, he is good premier league standard.
I'm another who agrees with that. Apart from goal threat -- if provided with more service -- he has the link- and hold-up play to participate in Premier League quality moves.

Milo

No way should we sell Mitrovic unless he wants to leave.

We've seen this season that money doesn't buy you instant success. Mitrovic would terrorise every CL defence next year and is our ticket out of that league.

Bryan is starting to kick on now and fulfil a Target role.

We need to retain players whatever it takes.

I see Babel's interview in Dutch press suggests he's off. Shouldn't play again in my opinion as he won't be around next year. Same for Vietto, same for Schurrle. Chambers only exception because he can play CB .. and we clearly need a new signing in that position so he's not blocking anyone else's development.

davew

Quote from: filham on March 17, 2019, 05:43:43 PM
Mitrovic hasn't done a lot for a while now and it may seem good business to cash in on him come the end of the season.
But just stop and think, there just isn't a replacement in sight and remember how we were struggling for a striker before he arrived.
We will find somebody (anybody) on the last day of the next transfer window!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Milo on March 20, 2019, 09:15:54 AM
No way should we sell Mitrovic unless he wants to leave.

We've seen this season that money doesn't buy you instant success. Mitrovic would terrorise every CL defence next year and is our ticket out of that league.

Bryan is starting to kick on now and fulfil a Target role.

We need to retain players whatever it takes.

I see Babel's interview in Dutch press suggests he's off. Shouldn't play again in my opinion as he won't be around next year. Same for Vietto, same for Schurrle. Chambers only exception because he can play CB .. and we clearly need a new signing in that position so he's not blocking anyone else's development.

Very Wise, although I'm more of the belief "No way should we sell Mitrovic even if he desperately wants to leave".

toshes mate

Quote from: filham on March 17, 2019, 05:43:43 PM
The emboldened portion is absolutely priceless advice to anyone believing the Club is capable of making rational changes to personnel when needed. 
We just don't do sensible replacements for those who move on do we?

If Mitro wants out then I suggest we replace him before we sell him, and make sure the replacement(s) really are good enough.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Whitesideup on March 17, 2019, 08:32:38 PM
Quote from: Statto on March 17, 2019, 08:25:00 PM

Couldn't disagree more.

Agree with Statto. Said on another thread that he was playing against top quality defenders today, in a game where we weren't allowed to give him quality service. Can't blame our team; Liverpool are just better, as well as being well-organized and hard working.  But for me, even if Mitro is not top 4, he is good premier league standard.

I am really not sure what this phase "not premier league quality striker" means, because the phase has been applied to every player in our squad including Mitrovoic. For me, any sane definations of the phase "premier league quality striker" included Mitrovoic. Firstly, he is in the top 20 scorers. Secondly, he would be bought by most teams in the league. Thridly, most defenses we play have a focus of keeping Mitrovoic from scoring, which indicates they rate him.

St. Andrews White

Where was this supposed interview saying Babel is off?
I assumed as much but would love to keep him

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

TC's Sporran

Sadly we have rarely seen the Mitrovic of last season. Its no good talking about potential or what a player is capable of on his day, He has weaknesses and maybe in a better team that expects closer ball control and better passing he might come up short. On the other hand he may well flourish if played to his strengths and less of this back to the goal lone guy up front stuff.
In the championship next season surely we can expect a reapeat of last seasons return to form? But if the player wants out then he has to go. Ande that's the same with any player. Once they don't want to be here it doesn't matter who we want to keep or let go.
Player power rules.

filham

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 04:33:02 PM

I love Mitro...but if you get 40 million for him you can bring in a quality replacement striker with a bit more pace.

All three can go and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep.   They'll need to be replaced...but I'd get younger up and coming players for all of them.
[/quote
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on March 17, 2019, 04:33:02 PM

If we were to get £40m for Mitrovic we would never find a better striker than him but would settle for someone not up to the job.