watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should Ayites header have stood

Started by MaidenheadMick, March 18, 2019, 03:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaidenheadMick

As Anguissas shot deflected up onto Ayite by a Liverpool player, should the goal of stood?

Sting of the North

No, he was offside when Anguissa took the shot. A deflection off a Liverpool player doesn't change that in any way.

fulhamben

Has to be intential from the Liverpool player for him to have been  on side if memory recalls correctly
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Robbie

100% offside, according  to the rules

Milo

The Old Count

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 18, 2019, 03:43:01 PM
No, he was offside when Anguissa took the shot. A deflection off a Liverpool player doesn't change that in any way.

But was he interfering with play? As was noted on another thread - if it had occurred at the other end it  would probably been given.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Old Count on March 18, 2019, 05:02:55 PM

But was he interfering with play? As was noted on another thread - if it had occurred at the other end it  would probably been given.

Yes, since scored with a header I would say that he 100 % interfered with play. The deflection doesn't create a new situation, it is still the same play that started at the moment Anguissa connected with the ball. He was always offside. Not a chance that even Liverpool would have gotten it. He was standing still in a very clear offside position. Not even a biased ref could have let that slip by.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 18, 2019, 05:40:34 PM

Yes, since scored with a header I would say that he 100 % interfered with play. The deflection doesn't create a new situation, it is still the same play that started at the moment Anguissa connected with the ball. He was always offside. Not a chance that even Liverpool would have gotten it. He was standing still in a very clear offside position. Not even a biased ref could have let that slip by.

Better individual performances, more spirit throughout the team and now we are actually interfering with play. It's surely Parkers gig to lose now.

snarks

I follow all of the clearly offside comments and agree, but has the rule changed since the last Euro championships. When Eng played Wales Vardy was offside when a free kick was swung in to the box, it hit Williams and bounced off him to Vardy who scored. The goal stood. Can anyone explain, given the rules why it did.

fulhamben

Quote from: snarks on March 18, 2019, 06:12:39 PM
I follow all of the clearly offside comments and agree, but has the rule changed since the last Euro championships. When Eng played Wales Vardy was offside when a free kick was swung in to the box, it hit Williams and bounced off him to Vardy who scored. The goal stood. Can anyone explain, given the rules why it did.
can't remember the goal, but if the defender actually attempts to play the ball, rather than it deflecting off of him then it's not offside.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

snarks

So if the defender was trying to block it then he obviously meant to play it. I realise I maybe am being thick with this but I must confess I no longer understand offside

The Old Count

Did it deflect or was he trying to block it? Are you sure it wouldn't have been given if Salah had scored it?  I'm not.

ALG01

Offside for every team, even with a halsey as ref for them

davew

Offside as far I understand the rules and irrespective of what colour shirt he was wearing! Yes it always seems like the top teams get the favoured and biased decisions, we weren't robbed of a goal!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Matt10

We had about 4 players offsides when the shot was struck. It was clear as day offsides.

Brawn

Sting of the North

Quote from: snarks on March 18, 2019, 06:30:50 PM
So if the defender was trying to block it then he obviously meant to play it. I realise I maybe am being thick with this but I must confess I no longer understand offside

It is a difference between trying to block a shot and actively playing the ball. I can't recall the Vardy goal mentioned above, but I am pretty sure the defending player has to be judged to be somewhat in control of the ball for a new play to begin.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Old Count on March 18, 2019, 08:16:53 PM

Did it deflect or was he trying to block it? Are you sure it wouldn't have been given if Salah had scored it?  I'm not.

It did deflect AND he was very likely trying to block it. Makes no difference if he was or not. I can of course never be sure that something that didn't happen could never have happened, but not even a biased referee would have given such an extremely clear offside goal I believe. This was not one of those that could have gone either way (such as the penalty). I don't actually think that even an outright corrupt referee would have dared to do something as obviously wrong.

toshes mate

I concur with this.  He was in an offside position when a shot took a double deflection and it is therefore the opinion of the officials as to whether or not he was interfering with play.  The offside interpretations I have seen since the rule was changed are often a confused muddle, and very simply amount to 'offside' goals being given.

toshes mate

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 19, 2019, 07:32:09 AM
Quote from: The Old Count on March 18, 2019, 08:16:53 PM

It did deflect AND he was very likely trying to block it. Makes no difference if he was or not. I can of course never be sure that something that didn't happen could never have happened, but not even a biased referee would have given such an extremely clear offside goal I believe. This was not one of those that could have gone either way (such as the penalty). I don't actually think that even an outright corrupt referee would have dared to do something as obviously wrong.
Every rule is, however, an interpretation of the law, through handballs to throw-ins, and officials are often wanting in respect of the most basic requirements.  In the EFL recently there was an example of the ball moving out of the corner quadrant, blown by the wind, right in front of an assistant who appears to try to stop the corner kick being taken but fails and a goal is scored and the assistant says not a word to the referee ..... carelessness or corruption?  Where does one stop and the other begin?