watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Every Cloud....

Started by EalingWhite, March 18, 2019, 08:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EalingWhite

A little dicky bird tells me that our European Scout Danny Talbot is currently moving house to one of Hertfordshire's premier areas - Brookmans Park. Apparently to live near dad, our own Brian Talbot.

What on earth are our scouts earning? Most of the houses in Brookmans Park cost well over £1m quid! Wasn't he a jobbing semi-pro before he joined us?! A footballer living in millionaires row yes, but a scout? Football is eating itself!

SP

The crazy world of football.  The police reporting they want a bigger contribution (understandably) from the clubs as they spend £48m & recoup only £5m.

Statto

Brian is an ex-England international and Arsenal player so can't be short of a few quid and has probably helped him out. Unlike most footballers they've both continued working into later life which makes a big difference. In any case £1m is really not a lot these days. A run-down 3-bed terrace in Fulham would be double that.

EalingWhite

Ah yes the old Bank of Mum and Dad.

From looking at the clubs he has played for I doubt Danny has ever earned more than a couple of hundred pounds a week out of football. Until he came to the Cottage that is! Lucky boy to have an ex-pro as a Dad to bankroll him!

Nero

probably got his dad to give him a £5k a week contract as Head European Scout that or fiddling his expenses

EalingWhite

Nepotism alive and well at The Cottage.

Woolly Mammoth

Every Silver Lining has a Cloud.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

spikey norman

Couple of interesting articles about Danny Talbot.
First one saying he couldn't turn down the opportunity to join Fulham to me sounds and maybe I have misinterpreted this that he was offered the post rather than applying for a vacant position. It states that he has no scouting experience in the professional game. With only a non league football playing career with no previous scouting experience I am sure there are many more qualified ex pro's / former managers available better qualified than him to be chief European scout.
http://trainingground.guru/articles/fulham-appoint-brian-talbots-son-as-euro-scout
Alan Smith's comments at the end of the article says it all.
The second article also questions Talbot junior's appointment.
http://trainingground.guru/articles/challenging-footballs-old-boys-network
Maybe a good time to refresh our scouting team by getting rid of the Talbots and others who were responsible for some of our poor signings and bring in people with a different viewpoint when assessing potential targets and with some backbone to say no to TK if they believe stats on a player are wrong.

filham

Think of some of the talent we unearthed in days gone by, like Ivor. These current scouts and recruitment people are real failures.

Riversider

What was their contribution during the January transfer window,  does anybody know ?
Ryan Fredericks told the club in January 2018 that he would be leaving what has their contribution been over the last two windows to replace him ?
I hope both father and son get replaced in the summer , let's face it Brentford have a more successful scouting department than we have (literally)

filham

Quote from: Riversider on March 21, 2019, 05:39:16 PM
What was their contribution during the January transfer window,  does anybody know ?
Ryan Fredericks told the club in January 2018 that he would be leaving what has their contribution been over the last two windows to replace him ?
I hope both father and son get replaced in the summer , let's face it Brentford have a more successful scouting department than we have (literally)

That is right, the failure to find a suitable replacement in 12months for Fredericks must be the biggest single reason for our present league position.

spikey norman

The person who should be replaced is the one who decided we should sign Mitroglou  instead of Antoine Griezmann.

toshes mate

I really do not believe it is helpful having a pop at what others do with their money.  Property is, these days, a pretty reliable investment and a source of 'easy' money for many, many people.  I may disagree with the way that has been allowed to become a fixture and fitting in British society but I am not one for criticising those who have used politics to their advantage.

However, on the salient points of recruitment failures, especially those that have caused us not to retain key playing staff, then I would question the suitability of the whole regime from CEO down.  If the Club promised to openly investigate recruitment issues problems and share their findings with, for example, FST, then I believe that would increase all our confidence levels in FFC.  It would certainly be more positive than allowing any player unrest to get so out of hand that the police are required to be called.  The Club needs to clean up its act.

Woolly Mammoth

The Constabulary have been called out to MP on two occasions in the last 16 months.
CK having a fit, and then AK having a different kind of fit.
No wonder they have a surveillance vehicle stationed outside 24/7.
They have certainly marked Fulham FCs card.
As they say everything comes in 3s so maybe they will be called out to feel TKs collar also in the near future.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: EalingWhite on March 19, 2019, 08:40:47 PM

In that case I'm guilty of nepotism as I have helped my two daughters to buy their properties. What a nonsensical attack on a chap who may (we don't know) be fortunate enough for his dad to have helped him buy a property. Envy is an ugly thing.

ChiswickCottager

I was a Rushden Diamonds season ticket holder 1997-2011 so witnessed Brian and Daniel's contrasting fortunes as they helped us climb the divisions. In all fairness to Brian, he was a fairly successful manager despite always having extortionate budgets and under his stewardship we managed to unearth a few gems of signings from the MLS that helped propel us upto League One. Daniel, on the other hand, was an utterly useless footballer, one of the worst I've ever seen put on a Diamonds shirt. This nepotism really enraged the fans, almost as much as when a later chairman's son graced the Conference National having previously plied his entire career a number of divisions down.

Statto

Quote from: Twig on March 22, 2019, 02:05:15 PM

In that case I'm guilty of nepotism as I have helped my two daughters to buy their properties. What a nonsensical attack on a chap who may (we don't know) be fortunate enough for his dad to have helped him buy a property. Envy is an ugly thing.

Fine but did you "help" them by giving them a job that they weren't competent to do, in someone else's company, a company that's 140 years old and has tens of thousands of loyal customers and stakeholders?

Because I think that is what people are talking about when they refer to nepotism here, rather than the much less controversial fact that Brian may have helped Danny with his deposit on the house

Twig

Quote from: Statto on March 22, 2019, 03:39:18 PM
Quote from: Twig on March 22, 2019, 02:05:15 PM

Fine but did you "help" them by giving them a job that they weren't competent to do, in someone else's company, a company that's 140 years old and has tens of thousands of loyal customers and stakeholders?

Because I think that is what people are talking about when they refer to nepotism here, rather than the much less controversial fact that Brian may have helped Danny with his deposit on the house

Ok, well on that side of it I have a) no idea whether he is any good at his job or not and b) whether his dad got him the job or not.  Just no clue about that side of things.

EalingWhite

How he went straight from non-league semi-pro (part-time) footballer to fully salaried "Senior" European scout at a Club with our pedigree is really quite difficult to understand.

Good luck to him though.

SP

Reading this thread made me wonder where John Marshall is these days. It seems he's Head of Recruitment at Wolves - we trained him well.