https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tony Khan holds himself accountable for unsuccessful summer

Started by Friendsoffulham, March 20, 2019, 07:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on March 22, 2019, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: Cambridge Pete on March 22, 2019, 09:05:07 AM
accepting blame is a very rare and brave thing (as it is everywhere). I admire him for accepting his culpability.

But if you read the notes, that's not what he's done here.

Nothing brave or to admire about his statement, he should be ashamed of his incompetence, and if he was sincere and had any decency he would resign immediately.
Plus his dad if he had any respect for Fulham FC should replace him ASAP. before he does any more damage, the blokes an embarrassment.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 22, 2019, 10:08:40 AM
Quote from: Statto on March 22, 2019, 09:42:44 AM
accepting blame is a very rare and brave thing (as it is everywhere). I admire him for accepting his culpability.

But if you read the notes, that's not what he's done here.

Nothing brave or to admire about his statement, he should be ashamed of his incompetence, and if he was sincere and had any decency he would resign immediately.
Plus his dad if he had any respect for Fulham FC should replace him ASAP. before he does any more damage, the blokes an embarrassment.
Agree, WM.  He has been embarrassing himself for a long time and now he is embarrassing us too.

The Rational Fan

OK he has not been a roaring success. However, from what he said it appears that he is learning (lets hope thats true). Having worked for a number of US multi-nationals senior executives accepting blame is a very rare and brave thing (as it is everywhere). I admire him for accepting his culpability. As to some of the higher profile failures every club has them, haven't we got a £22million player from Liverpool on a short term free transfer and yet Klopp and his team are rightly lauded.. We must accept that we are not going to see TK fired, unless SK decides to sell up and we could then find ourselves back with owners like Bulstrode and Marler Estates. None of us have enjoyed this season but in over sixty years of watching Fulham it is nowhere near as bad as some seasons past. Keep supporting and COYW

I prefer to watch "Fulham FC" lose every week than watching "Fulham Park Rangers" wear "Blue Hula Hoops" at Loftus Road like our previous owners "Bulstrode and Marler Estates" suggested. "The Royal Bank of Scotland" were worrying owners as well.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Newry FFC on March 20, 2019, 07:56:13 PM
Is this real?? Like actually??

The main criticism I can see , is the short termism in those aforementioned two years. The reliance on loans, and loans again which got us a 3rd place and a 6th place. Deeming those years a success in recruitment while those two years of loan signings ultimately forced the Khans hand in having to then go out and spend instead of building gradually over those 2 years with premier league ready players.
The fact we had to buy so many players and therefore rush this seasons recruitment was caused by only having what , 12 or 13 players start pre season

Even then, some or many of those signings weren't ready or good enough for the championship let alone have a strategy which was building towards the premier league.  No one can say the likes of Mollo, Djalo, Fonte, even Christie, Cisse or Sigurdsson were ever going to be good enough for the premier league.

It's short term thinking, poor planning and reactionary rather than proactive thinking which got us in the mess , which caused this seasons debacle , but it's a storm that's been brewed in a can kicked down the road repeatedly just to avoid forward planning.

Excellent mixed-metaphor !

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 22, 2019, 10:30:58 AM
OK he has not been a roaring success. However, from what he said it appears that he is learning (lets hope thats true). Having worked for a number of US multi-nationals senior executives accepting blame is a very rare and brave thing (as it is everywhere). I admire him for accepting his culpability. As to some of the higher profile failures every club has them, haven't we got a £22million player from Liverpool on a short term free transfer and yet Klopp and his team are rightly lauded.. We must accept that we are not going to see TK fired, unless SK decides to sell up and we could then find ourselves back with owners like Bulstrode and Marler Estates. None of us have enjoyed this season but in over sixty years of watching Fulham it is nowhere near as bad as some seasons past. Keep supporting and COYW

I prefer to watch "Fulham FC" lose every week

Well you have had your wish come true, because Fulham FC are losing every week, so we'll done.

Never forget your Roots.

ALG01

Quote from: Oakeshott on March 21, 2019, 04:19:38 PM
"surely he must know that if he was not called Khan he would have been long gone"

Deeper than that. If he was not called Khan he'd never have got the job in the first place. Wholly lacking in relevant knowledge and experience.

I stand corrected.
I am actually not against 'son of' being involved, I see that as a good thing and hopefully a commitment to the future, no matter what the family name might be. What i am struggling here with is, he tried, he failed, there are loads of extremely useful and important roles e can take up in the club if he wants to be involved. But if he was a true Fulham supporter, he would step aside. If I owned Fulham my first act would be for me to replace Mitro as center forward. After half a dozen games of inevitably failing to touch the ball, let alone score, I would give way to Mitro and that is what TK needs to understand, he tried but it didn't work out, and it will not work out.

Dodger53

Tony, I agree that statistically we were likely to get relegated, so why get rid of SJ? ......because you spent 100K not to get relegated..... you spent 100K on players for the long term with one eye on relegation... If they leave next year on loan or at a discount you failed by your own admission. Time to go then if not before. Tony, please choose another job at our club like head of catering or hospitality but please nothing that uses your great knowledge of Football (AM's view if not yours)!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Dodger53 on March 22, 2019, 12:40:58 PM
Tony, I agree that statistically we were likely to get relegated, so why get rid of SJ? ......because you spent 100K not to get relegated..... you spent 100K on players for the long term with one eye on relegation... If they leave next year on loan or at a discount you failed by your own admission. Time to go then if not before. Tony, please choose another job at our club like head of catering or hospitality but please nothing that uses your great knowledge of Football (AM's view if not yours)!

There are plenty of other jobs he can do at Fulham which may well be more his forte.
Turnstile Operator. Matchday Program Seller, Corporate Hospitality Steward, to name but a few.
Providing he is kept is under supervision, until such times he is deemed suitable.

Never forget your Roots.

the nutflush

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on March 21, 2019, 10:35:34 AM
Quote from: Milo on March 20, 2019, 07:42:11 PM
Hmm ok so responsibility for this season admitted. However, he claims previous 2 seasons his stats were a success.

Who did he bring in stats wise over the last two seasons on permanent signings?

Odoi has certainly been a good stats signing.
Kamara was, in my view, a good signing. However the end result is that his temperament has pushed him out on loan. So.. does that go down as minus points for a stats based model?
Kebano a luke warm signing on reflection.
Rui Fonte disastrous.
Others?

Other permanent transfers last season: Djalo, Cisse, Mollo, Christie. The rest were loans.

Our success last season was based on Mitro (thanks to Jokanovic), other loans from higher division clubs and players signed before TK was appointed DoF (plus a number of other titles). The players TK actually signed last season were short term solutions and failures. Even some of the loans were disasters, like Soares. An injured player on loan???

Blaming Mawsons injury must be the worst excuse ever. He was after all injured when TK signed him. And if injury to ONE CB is enough to ruin the season then TK has clearly failed to provide a decent squad. Everyone has known for several years now that we need CBs and more squad depth.

We can't expect to go through an entire season in the Championship again with hardly any injuries. We were almost unbelivably lucky with injuries last season. With the exception of Cairney and Ayite we had more or less a full squad available for the entire season. Cardiff had almost half their squad injured at one point and they still managed to finish above us. Our squad was ridiculously thin last season but we somehow got away with it.

Completely forgot about that head case Mollo. With him and Kamara in the same 11 we would be lucky to finish with 11. The day they build a psych evaluation into TKs computer thingy is the day I will support it.

General

Quote from: toshes mate on March 21, 2019, 01:32:58 PM
There was quite an entertaining, if not altogether enlightening, programme about data on BBC Four last night, which sought, among other things to show how it is possible to mathematically 'prove' that data processing can be made to fit any scenario we care to mention, especially because, for example, there are ganglia in our brains that are always involved in checking out reasoning and logic, disassembling and reassembling facts and experiences so that we can store them efficiently.  The processes of these nerve clusters appear to resemble the mathematics involved in disassembling and resolving data in information technology so that it can be properly understood and represented in digital/binary code leading to digital audio, digital video, and effectively digital data. 

What is stated right at the beginning of this process of understanding is that data is just 'stuff', a lot of it is never recorded anywhere, a lot of it is not understood, and a lot of it may be misinformation.  Stats is just another name for a record which can simply be anything written or drawn at any time past or present to record or note something.  The importance of it is another matter entirely.  As far as I can tell anyone can make a pencil mark on a piece of paper but making sense of what that pencil mark means is something entirely different.  The magic of 'stats' was known a very long time before clockwork, steam, and electricity made computers possible at some point in our future.  The problem we have in regards to TK is whether or not his computer system is better than anyone else's computer system and that will be forever moot.       

I reckon I could put together quite a few documentaries, or shows on how data has got things wrong or is misleading or harmful... This idea that data is a perfected craft is absurd. Analysis of data is a flawed process too.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: the nutflush on March 22, 2019, 11:36:28 PM
Hmm ok so responsibility for this season admitted. However, he claims previous 2 seasons his stats were a success.

Kamara was, in my view, a good signing. However the end result is that his temperament has pushed him out on loan. So.. does that go down as minus points for a stats based model?
Rui Fonte disastrous.
Others?

Other permanent transfers last season: Djalo, Cisse, Mollo, Christie. The rest were loans.

Our success last season was based on Mitro (thanks to Jokanovic), other loans from higher division clubs and players signed before TK was appointed DoF (plus a number of other titles). The players TK actually signed last season were short term solutions and failures. Even some of the loans were disasters, like Soares. An injured player on loan???

Blaming Mawsons injury must be the worst excuse ever. He was after all injured when TK signed him. And if injury to ONE CB is enough to ruin the season then TK has clearly failed to provide a decent squad. Everyone has known for several years now that we need CBs and more squad depth.

We can't expect to go through an entire season in the Championship again with hardly any injuries. We were almost unbelivably lucky with injuries last season. With the exception of Cairney and Ayite we had more or less a full squad available for the entire season. Cardiff had almost half their squad injured at one point and they still managed to finish above us. Our squad was ridiculously thin last season but we somehow got away with it.

Completely forgot about that head case Mollo. With him and Kamara in the same 11 we would be lucky to finish with 11. The day they build a psych evaluation into TKs computer thingy is the day I will support it.

When I first saw Mollo play, I thought he had potential, and was very tenacious and confident.
Then he was left out of the squad on occasions, and rumours were that he was a difficult person for a manager to control.
Then sometime last year three days before it was announced officially that he was being released by Fulham.
He was in Stringfellows Gentlemen's Club in midweek with friends, he was dressed outrageously to attract attention to himself and he was showing off and drawing attention to himself, even though I doubt anyone working or was a member or patron of the club knew who he was.
It was then that i realised and understood as to why Fulham FC were happy to see the back of him.

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

He also contradicts himself somewhat. On the one hand he talks up our promotion via the play-offs, saying this season should be balanced against that "success" last year. Then on the other hand he talks down the play-offs, saying clubs promoted that what are statistically likely to go straight back down.

You can't have it both ways Tony - you can't claim lots of credit for achieving something then talk that achievement  down when it starts to raise people's expectations.

Bottom line, it's blatantly obvious this man is just not as bright as he thinks he is.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on March 23, 2019, 12:38:28 AM
He also contradicts himself somewhat. On the one hand he talks up our promotion via the play-offs, saying this season should be balanced against that "success" last year. Then on the other hand he talks down the play-offs, saying clubs promoted that what are statistically likely to go straight back down.

You can't have it both ways Tony - you can't claim lots of credit for achieving something then talk that achievement  down when it starts to raise people's expectations.

Bottom line, it's blatantly obvious this man is just not as bright as he thinks he is.

If TK says "you cannot stay up with a playoff promotion" that great  :wine:, because logically that means he must have been planning for an automatic promotion in the season of 19/20 since 25th May 2018. Therefore, we obviously cannot be talking about releasing players in the summer and there must be a good budget for a heaps of loans to keep the bench strong. I don't even mind if it is a lie, as long as you maintain the lie and make it look like this what you planned that means "no sales of top players" and "no sales of reserves either".

the nutflush

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 23, 2019, 12:11:05 AM
Quote from: the nutflush on March 22, 2019, 11:36:28 PM

Rui Fonte disastrous.
Others?

When I first saw Mollo play, I thought he had potential, and was very tenacious and confident.
Then he was left out of the squad on occasions, and rumours were that he was a difficult person for a manager to control.
Then sometime last year three days before it was announced officially that he was being released by Fulham.
He was in Stringfellows Gentlemen's Club in midweek with friends, he was dressed outrageously to attract attention to himself and he was showing off and drawing attention to himself, even though I doubt anyone working or was a member or patron of the club knew who he was.
It was then that i realised and understood as to why Fulham FC were happy to see the back of him.

TKs computer is never going to pick up on personality traits like that. Just like Kamara. Might as well throw the machine out the window.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: the nutflush on March 23, 2019, 12:45:22 PM

TKs computer is never going to pick up on personality traits like that. Just like Kamara. Might as well throw the machine out the window.

It a incredible great football scout that is able to say "avoid this player he'll end up at Stringfellows Gentlemen's Club midweek dressed outrageously" or "avoid this player as he may get violent during yoga relexation". Might as well throw the scouts out the window too, although not at FFC cause then there would be none left.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 23, 2019, 02:10:34 PM
Quote from: the nutflush on March 23, 2019, 12:45:22 PM

It a incredible great football scout that is able to say "avoid this player he'll end up at Stringfellows Gentlemen's Club midweek dressed outrageously" or "avoid this player as he may get violent during yoga relexation". Might as well throw the scouts out the window too, although not at FFC cause then there would be none left.

No, I have made up my mind, just throw the Computer out of the window with TK strapped down firmly on it.

Never forget your Roots.