watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (22/03/19)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 22, 2019, 08:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Who is Luca Murphy? Five facts about the teenage defender Leeds United could sign for free

Leeds United are one of a number of sides said to be tracking the player, who was approached by Premier League Fulham in January.

Luca Murphy is the latest player linked with a move to Leeds United (Teamtalk).

But who exactly is the prospective Leeds signing (who should not be confused with the former Whites midfielder of a similar name)?

HITC Sport has the lowdown...

What's his background?

The north east native was born on 25 September, 2001, and signed for Hartlepool United just before his ninth birthday. He impressed in the Monkey Hangers' youth ranks, but failed to make a senior appearance.

What sort of player is he?

Murphy is described on Hartlepool's official site as being "(c)omfortable on the ball and able to play with either foot, he's athletic, confident and rarely fazed".

Goal vs Lincoln ‍♂️✅ pic.twitter.com/GYCwSFmoGV
    — Luca Murphy (@luca_murphy3) January 27, 2019

What's his situation?

Teamtalk say Murphy has since left Hartlepool by mutual consent, and is free to sign for a club of his choosing. The website state the Conference side failed to agree a professional contract with the player and, knowing they would not be due compensation as a result of their non-league status, have freed him from his deal three months early.

Is it true he could have been a Premier League player now?

Teamtalk claim that a January move to Fulham failed to materialise for Murphy, whose 'liking' of the following tweet suggests there was substance to the rumour.

Fulham have agreed terms with 17 year old Hartlepool defender Luca Murphy. Few other Prem clubs still after him though
    — Dean Jones (@DeanJonesBR) January 23, 2019

Who else are Leeds battling for his signature?

According to Teamtalk, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United, Leicester City, Cardiff City and Wolverhampton Wanderers are among the top-flight clubs keen on Murphy, along with Middlesbrough, Brentford, Sheffield United, Barnsley and Sunderland from the Football League.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/20/who-is-luca-murphy-five-facts-about-the-teenage-defender-leeds-u/

WhiteJC

Liverpool will be delighted they offloaded Lazar Markovic to Fulham

When Fulham announced the signing of Lazar Markovic on January transfer deadline day, many Liverpool supporters would have been forgiven for forgetting the winger was still on the club's books.

And with Markovic having played a grand total of 45 minutes so far at Fulham, Liverpool's decision to offload Markovic looks to have been an astute call.

Fulham billed the signing as a free transfer that was low-risk, and played up the close friendship between star striker Aleksandar Mitrovic and Markovic.

But ever since Markovic joined the Whites, Mitrovic has failed to score a single goal, Fulham have failed to win or a draw a single game, and Markovic has only made one substitute appearance.

After Scott Parker joined the club, the winger has been banished out of the 18-man squad, and appears unlikely to play any further part in the season.

In all, Fulham's relegation is all but assured and Markovic will surely go down as one of the most underwhelming signings in recent memory for Fulham.

The Serbian's wholly anonymous tenure at the doomed London club will have Liverpool feeling confident in their decision to let Lazar Markovic leave on a free.

https://tbrfootball.com/liverpool-will-be-delighted-they-offloaded-lazar-markovic-to-fulham/

WhiteJC

Look at him now: Bryan Ruiz and Fulham

In 2011, Bryan Ruiz was one of the most in demand attacking midfielders in European football with Premier League clubs surely queuing up to sign him.

Newcastle United initially appeared to the favourites yet in the background, Fulham were also deep in negotiations with the Costa Rica international star about a possible move.

During a dramatic transfer deadline day that saw Raul Meireles join Liverpool from Chelsea and Per Mertesacker going to Arsenal, Ruiz made his entrance in London via helicopter before agreeing a deal to move from FC Twente to the Cottagers.

With supporters understandably excited, the play-maker made his debut against Blackburn Rovers before opening his account for his new club at the fifth time of asking, scoring in an away defeat at Everton. However, far from experiencing a barnstorming debut season in Premier League, Ruiz struggled to make the impact that the club were hoping to see from him as he only directly involved in six goals in 27 appearances.

Nevertheless, then-manager Martin Jol stuck by his man for the following campaign which paid off significantly as he made the adjustment to the pace of England's top tier to score five goals and record nine assists as Fulham finished comfortably in mid-table.

When Ruiz curled home a spectacular goal against Cardiff City at the beginning of the 2013/14 season, fans of the Cottagers must have been thinking that he was about to embark on another fruitful run for their side.

Unfortunately, they couldn't have been more wrong.

Following a lacklustre five months at Craven Cottage, he was loaned back to the Netherlands, joining Eredivisie side PSV Eindhoven. Producing a number of stand-out performances for the Lampen, Ruiz proved that he still had a habit of producing the spectacular.

Back in London, Fulham's dreadful campaign ended with relegation to the Championship yet despite a mass exodus of players, they decided to keep hold of the former FC Twente ace for one more season, hoping desperately that he could lead them to promotion at the first time of asking.

Unfortunately, this dream did not materialise as the Cottagers finished in an incredibly disappointing 17th position and with Ruiz in need of a fresh start, they let him leave for Portuguese giants Sporting CP in 2015.

In a successful three year stint at the Estadio Jose Alvalade, the midfielder won both the Taca da Liga and the Supertaca Candido de Oliveira, adding to his previous major honours earned in Holland and Costa Rica.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/features/look-at-them-now/look-at-him-now-bryan-ruiz-and-fulham/

WhiteJC

The Brede Hangeland Column

The last game against Liverpool was a really positive performance but another gut-wrenching result. These are the games where you desperately need the ball to bounce your way, that little bit of luck to show you the way forward. As it happened, we had none of that, and I can't help but think that there have been many stories like that this season. At some point we have to admit that it is not bad luck, but rather a trend. I am sure no stone will be left unturned in investigating what went wrong this season.

But before that of course there is the challenge of finishing the season in a way that can make everyone proud. The league table makes for depressing reading, but in football there is always the next game to improve the situation. To some it may seem like this season could not end soon enough, but such thoughts could not be further from the truth. Whether we end up getting relegated or pull off an absolute miracle in the remaining games, there is the underlying issue of moving the team in the right direction, using the right process against top opposition. The development of individuals and the team against Premier League opposition is extremely valuable, as was demonstrated when Fulham came so close to getting something from Liverpool.

Scott Parker is someone who understands this better than most. I think back to when he joined Fulham as a player in 2013, the season we eventually got relegated. The team had lost some quality players and we were in desperate need of experience and leadership, and through the gates at Motspur Park walked someone who had spent his playing career setting the highest standards for others to follow. Through that very difficult 2013/14 season, nobody held their head higher than Scott, and he really deserves the chance he has been given now. Watching from the outside, I think he has said and done the right things, and with someone like Scott there is just no way he will give anything less than 100 per cent to the job. His dedication, professionalism and knowledge of the game will be a great inspiration to those around him, and he is the kind of leader you need in times like these. I wish him every success in management.

Fulham's next test could not get any bigger. Manchester City are arguably the best team in world football at the moment, and Scott Parker will face Pep Guardiola on the sidelines. I have followed Guardiola closely the last few years as he is the manager who has driven the development of the Premier League in recent years. He is a thinker and a communicator, someone who provides his players with an innovative tactical framework and the belief that they will win if only they follow the plan. Guardiola is the greatest manager of our time, and Scott will be desperate to compete with him for the points at stake.

An outside view of this fixture might leave Fulham with little chance of success, but anyone who knows the Premier League is well aware of the margins that decide games at this level. If Fulham can avoid mistakes, play from a solid tactical platform and display the same level of urgency as was the case against Liverpool, then of course it is possible to get something next Saturday. The prospect of playing such a great team should give the players a lift, and as things stand I think they can play without pressure, as nobody expects anything from Fulham in this game. But with the Craven Cottage crowd behind the team, anything can happen. I feel we are due a big result.

There is every chance we end up getting relegated this year, but what good does it do to dwell on the negatives? Depression never solved any issues, won you any games of football or gave you anything of value at all. Instead, get behind the team and enjoy a game against the Champions. You'll notice we are not far behind. Perhaps this time we end up ahead?

Come on Fulham!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/21/the-brede-hangeland-column

WhiteJC

Fulham add Steve Clarke to shortlist but Scott Parker remains in pole position to get manager's job

In the frame | Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke
Jeff Holmes/PA Wire

Fulham have added Steve Clarke's name to their wish list of possible candidates to take over as manager on a permanent basis.

While caretaker boss Scott Parker is in pole position to be given the job, it is understood that Clarke is also a contender.

The 55-year-old has impressed as manager of Kilmarnock since taking over there in October 2017. The club were bottom of the Scottish Premiership when Clarke joined but he led them to a fifth-placed finish last May and was named manager of the year by the Scottish Football Writers' Association.

Former Scotland defender Clarke has a wealth of experience in English football, too, having worked as an assistant at Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool and Aston Villa, plus spells in charge of West Brom and Reading. He signed a new deal last summer but the lure of returning to the capital could be hard for him to ignore.

Parker, 38, was promoted from his role as first-team coach at Craven Cottage when Fulham sacked Claudio Ranieri at the end of last month.

Parker's influence already showing Photo: EPA

The hierarchy were already preparing for the possibility of relegation when Parker took over and want the right man in place to lead them straight back to the top flight next term.

Should Parker lead Fulham to a few wins they will find his case hard to ignore, but Clarke is now also in the frame.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham/fulham-fc-add-steve-clarke-to-shortlist-but-scott-parker-remains-in-pole-position-to-get-manager-s-a4097421.html

WhiteJC

Positive transfer talks held with Fulham player's agent, manager wants deal done

Takvim report Galatasaray have held talks wit Ryan Babel's agent ahead of a potential move back to Istanbul.

Earlier this week we we covered reports from Turkey that the Fulham player is a target for fellow Super Lig club Fenerbahce, and Takvim now claim Galatasaray have stepped up their own interest in the 32-year old.

Babel joined Fulham from Besiktas during the last winter transfer window, but is likely to leave the club with the Craven Cottage club looking destined to drop down to the Championship. The London club lie 19th in the Premier League table and are 13 points from 17th placed Burnley.

Subsequently, interest in Babel has grown in Turkey and it's reported the two local rivals will to go head to head to sign the Dutch international on a free transfer this summer.

According to Takvim, Galatasaray manager Fatih Terim is keen to work with Babel and initial talks with the Fulham player's agent have been positive.

Despite the reported interest from the two Istanbul clubs Babel has stated to the Dutch media this week he will wait until the end of the season to make a decision on his future, out of respect for Fulham.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/positive-transfer-talks-held-fulham-players-agent-manager-wants-deal-done/

WhiteJC

"I was hospitalised for 4/5 days" – Player on surprise at Fulham signing him after operation

Havard Nordtveit didn't fully enjoy his previous spells in England when he was at Arsenal and West Ham United.

In the winter transfer window, the 28-year-old was provided with another opportunity to showcase his abilities in the Premier League when Fulham signed him on loan from Hoffenheim.

He arrived at Craven Cottage on deadline day and will stay at the club until the end of the season.

Nordtveit sat down for an interview with Norwegian publication Dagbladet and explained why he was surprised when he heard about the Cottagers interest.

"It happened very quickly. What many do not know is that I was operated on for an infection in the calf in January," he explained.

"I was hospitalised for four to five days and this was at the end of "Deadline Day". The interest from Fulham was not something I and agent Jim Solbakken expected. It just happened like that."

At the Bundesliga club, the Norway international struggled for minutes this season and Hoffenheim manager Julian Nagelsmann convinced him a move to Fulham was best for him.

"I had a good run-up after the Christmas holiday in Hoffenheim. I received good praise from coach Julian Nagelsmann," the former Hammers man said.

"When Fulham got on the track, there was a communication with him. He thought it was a golden opportunity for me to return to England and show what I am good at."

Fulham have struggled in the Premier League and are sitting 19th in the table with 17 points, trailing 17th place Burnley by 13 points with seven games left in the season.

Nordtveit said, "I knew Fulham was in a difficult situation (second to last). But theoretically it is still possible to save the level. I feel that there is a positive energy in the group."

Thanks to @RonnyS0L for the heads up.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/happened-fast-player-agent-never-expected-interest-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham line up David Wagner to take over as permanent manager
Exclusive: Fulham are planning for life in the Championship and former Huddersfield Town boss is seen as the ideal candidate

Fulham are considering David Wagner to take over as permanent manager at the end of the season.

The west London club made first-team coach Scott Parker caretaker manager when they sacked Claudio Ranieri in February but the club have lost the first three matches since their former midfielder took charge.

They have been tough fixtures, against Chelsea, Leicester City and Liverpool, and get no easier when Fulham return to action after the international break when they face Manchester City, but the club are making plans for the summer without Parker at the helm.

Wagner needed a break
Wagner, 47, is currently unemployed after leaving Huddersfield Town in January with the club bottom of the Premier League. Wagner was named Championship manager of the year when he led the Terriers to promotion into the Premier League via the playoffs in 2017 and his stock soared after the relegation favourites finished 16th in the top-flight in their first season.

But this season that form did not continue and Wagner admitted to Huddersfield chairman Dean Hoyle that top level football had taken its toll on him and that he needed a break from the game when he offered to leave the club, with Huddersfield eight points adrift of safety. "I know the term 'mutual consent' is often a byword for the manager being sacked in professional football, but this is a truly joint decision," Hoyle said at the time.

Wagner wants to wait until at least the end of the summer before making a return to football and Fulham have identified him as the ideal candidate to take charge.

Can he be convinced?

Behind the scenes, figures at Fulham have, naturally, conceded that they will be relegated this season. They are 13 points behind 17th-place Burnley, have only seven games remaining and have lost 11 of their last 12 games in all competitions.

Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan, son of owner Shahid Khan, has taken the blame for the club's failure in the transfer market, after they were unable to compete in the Premier League despite spending more than £100m in the summer.

Around half of their budget was spent on Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa, around £30m, and Jean Michael Seri, around £25m, and neither have made the required impression.

It still, nonetheless, shows the potential financial muscle Fulham, who are also spending £100m on the redevelopment of the Riverside Stand at Craven Cottage, have behind them and there is hope that it could convince Wagner to join them and push for a return to the Premier League straightaway.

Wagner, who worked with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp at Borussia Dortmund, would prefer a move to a top-flight club, and Fulham sources remain unsure if he would be tempted by another Championship promotion campaign.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/david-wagner-fulham-next-manager-latest-news/

WhiteJC

"Enough was enough" – Player explains why he simply had to leave Fulham

Stefan Johansen was one of the standout players for Fulham in their bid to achieve promotion to the Premier League, scoring eight goals and registering nine assists in the Championship.

However, the Norway international has seen his importance being reduced this term as he has started only in four league matches for the Cottagers, while has eight more appearances to his name from the bench.

The 28-year-old struggled for minutes under Slaviša Jokanović and his successor Claudio Ranieri, which is why he wanted to leave Craven Cottage in the mid-season transfer window.

Johansen has given an interview to TV2, in which he revealed details about the conversation he had with the Ranieri, which convinced him to join West Bromwich Albion on loan until the end of the season.

"He said he wanted me, but couldn't promise me the game time I demanded. I said I have a career and development to think about, not least a national team that is important to me. Then it's about playing time," the midfielder explained.

"I felt I got even less confidence (when Ranieri was hired by Fulham). Then enough was enough. In such a situation, I had to think about my own career. He understood it very well. There was no fight."

Johansen has now been picked up for Norway's squad to face Spain and Sweden in the European Championship.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/think-of-my-own-career-player-reveals-how-conversation-with-manager-led-to-fulham-exit/

WhiteJC

World Down Syndrome Day

Thursday 21st March is World Down Syndrome Day 2019. The theme for this year's global campaign is 'Leave No One Behind,' promoting equal opportunities for people living with Down Syndrome.

With two longstanding DS sport programmes, Fulham FC Foundation is a longstanding supporter of inclusive and disability-specific sport. Ahead of World Down Syndrome Day, the Foundation's Fulham Badgers DS football teams celebrated with a tournament hosted by Arsenal FC and DSActive.

The day started brightly, with a 7-3 win over Crystal Palace, before going on to play a strong side from Lincoln City. This game finished 4-3 to Lincoln in a dramatic end to the match!

Eight players proudly represented the Foundation, including Harry, Geoffrey and Woody who made their debuts for Fulham Badgers. In a selfless move, Woody even went on loan to Arsenal for one match when they were in need of players.

If you would like to be a part of the Fulham Badgers DS Football or Tennis Programmes please get in touch with Katy Shephard, Disability Officer, on 07827 957837 or email [email protected] for more information.

Or you can visit fulhamsoccerschools.com and search Down's Syndrome.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/21/world-down-syndrome-day

WhiteJC

Report highlights Fulham's fears about David Wagner

Former Huddersfield Town boss David Wagner has been tipped to take over at Premier League strugglers Fulham.

Fulham fear they could miss out on David Wagner with the former Huddersfield Town boss keen to work in the Premier League when he returns to the dugout, according to iNews.

With just seven games left, the Cottagers appear to be all-but relegated already with a 13-point gap between themselves and safety.

Their return to the top flight has been an unmitigated disaster with both Slavisa Jokanovic and Claudio Ranieri paying the price for some truly awful results with their jobs over the course of the campaign.

With Championship football looking like an inevitability for 2019/20, iNews believe that Fulham are keen to appoint a manager with a proven track record in the second tier.

Wagner did guide an unfancied Huddersfield side to promotion two years ago after all, pulling off a minor miracle one a shoestring budget.

Scott Parker has impressed since taking over as Fulham's interim coach but iNews claim that they would prefer to hand Wagner the reigns on a full-time basis. The German walked out of Huddersfield in January and wants to wait until the summer before he takes up another job.

But the report points out that the former Dortmund youth coach would prefer to work in the Premier League and Fulham fear that they would not be able to lure him to Craven Cottage once relegation is confirmed.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/21/do-report-highlights-fulhams-fears-about-david-wagner/

WhiteJC

Emerald Isle Diamonds

As much as I enjoy international football, I have never really been absolutely buzzing for international breaks to come around. They always seem to disrupt the domestic football and there aren't as many matches. At the minute, however, any distraction form the Premier League is a welcome one. Things haven't been pretty on the banks of the Thames, to put it mildly. So instead of talking about Fulham's disaster of a season, I thought I'd talk about another favourite topic of mine, Northern Irish and Irish players who have played throughout the years in our famous white shirt. I'll limit to just my top 5, as I have a game to get to tonight at Windsor Park at 1945!

Aaron Hughes

The Hangeland-Hughes partnership will go down as one of the greatest centre back pairing in Fulham's Premier League history. Under the guidance of Roy Hodgson Fulham became defensively sound, something that we badly crave this season, and Hughes was vital in this. He racked up 250 appearances for Fulham across all competitions and scored a handful of goals along the way. He was a crucial part of both the Greatest Escape year in 2008 and then the Europa League run of 2010. He is my all time favourite Northern Irish player and captain .

Ollie Norwood

It might have only been a loan deal, but the decision to bring Norwood to Fulham turn out to be a stroke of genius. Norwood has always had a touch of quality about him, we have known that for years in Northern Ireland. He might try a Hollywood pass too often for some, but it's that vision that has been so important for Northern Ireland. Last season at Fulham we badly needed someone to step in for Cairney when he was injured, and Norwood was the one to do that. He might not quite be the level of Cairney but he is what we needed at the time. And who could forgot THAT tackle in the dying seconds of the play-off final that prevented Aston Villa's final chance? What a guy.

Damien Duff

Damien Duff was one of those players who when they are signed, you get very excited about. He may have been slightly past his prime but we all knew what he was capable of from his time at Chelsea and Newcastle. He was one of those players who had a sweet left foot, but played on the right for the majority of his time at Fulham. The Craven Cottage crowd used to get such a buzz when he would cut in from the right and have a pop at goal. He always had a bit of magic about him and I loved seeing him play at Fulham.

Chris Baird

Bairdinho. When he announced his retirement this year I was genuinely gutted. He has been such an important figure for club and country for years and there aren't many out there quite like him. Baird was one of the most versatile players at Fulham, and he was happy to play wherever was required. He was a typical 'leave everything on the pitch' kind of guy, and those goals at Stoke City will stay in Fulham folklore forever.

Rodney McAree

Not many players can say that they have a chant that is still sang around a club 20years or so after they have left, but Rodney McAree can. I was too young to remember said goal, but I doubt there are many Fulham fans out there who don't know about McAree's goal up at Carlisle. Rodney also happens to be one of the nicest guys in football. He gave me one of my first exclusive interviews a couple of years back, something that I really appreciated. He owns a little part of Fulham history so he is rightfully remembered by the Fulham faithful.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2019/03/emerald-isle-diamonds/

WhiteJC

West Ham raiding London rivals for this 24-year-old goal machine would be an absolute masterstroke

West Ham Opinion: Why Aleksandar Mitrovic will be an ideal fit for West Ham

According to a report from Football.London, West Ham were linked with a January swoop for Fulham hitman Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The Serbian, 24, has been one of the rare bright sparks for Fulham in an otherwise miserable campaign in the Premier League.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has shown that he is capable of playing well at this level and there will be plenty of suitors for him if Fulham go down at the end of the season, which looks very likely after their last weekend's defeat against Liverpool.

That being said, should West Ham plot a summer move for the 24-year-old centre-forward this summer?

Absolutely! West Ham were set to lose Marko Arnautovic to an unnamed Chinese club in January before the Austrian made a U-turn and signed a one-year contract extension at the London Stadium.

Despite penning a new contract, there's an air of uncertainty that Arnautovic will leave the club at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, Andy Carroll is out of contract at West Ham in June and chances of him earning an extension have seemingly dried up after the 30-year-old injured his ankle once again.

Javier Hernandez has struggled this season with only eight goals in 25 games, while Lucas Perez remains out of favour under Pellegrini.

Considering West Ham's current situation, signing a centre-forward is a must if Pellegrini is to challenge the Premier League's Big Six next term. And Mitrovic would fit the bill perfectly at the London Stadium.

A big, burly and physical centre-forward, Mitrovic has been almost unplayable when he is on song this season. He is an old-fashioned centre-forward who excels in the holding the ball up and bringing his teammates into the game.

The 24-year-old is hard as a nail, difficult to dispossess and an all-day threat in the box.

Mitrovic is fantastic in the air and his ability to link-up play and swiftly run in the box hoping for a cross make him such a difficult player to mark. The former Anderlecht and Newcastle United man is also a composed finisher in front of goal.

One of his biggest strengths up top is his anticipation as he drives into the box and has the ability to take a shot on from a pass or cross and find the back of the net in a blink of an eye.

Conclusion

Mitrovic is known for his aggression and physicality and can provide quality and depth up front for Pellegrini's West Ham.

With Carroll's contract expiring in June and possibility of Arnautovic leaving if a bigger club comes calling, the Hammers desperately need another forward who can cause defences problems in a physical manner.

And Pellegrini can do a lot worse than sign a Premier League proven forward, Mitrovic.

https://www.mediareferee.com/2019/03/22/west-ham-raiding-london-rivals-for-this-24-year-old-goal-machine-would-be-an-absolute-masterstroke/

WhiteJC

Higher Sports Academy & SPF

The Fulham brand is expanding. The Higher Sports Academy is an exciting new partnership which the Club has entered to give a pathway for younger players to study and play in Spain with external links to the UK. The two share the same values in holistically developing players with a direct pathway into football with a fall-back option.

This, along with Spanish Professional Football will be a key partner in the management and delivery of our International Player Development Programme.

The Academy work closely with players to tailor a programme to suit them in which they can study and play to their potential in tandem among some of the best facilities in Spain. The Mas Camarena sports facility combines leisure with hard-work as a feeder into lower La Liga and semi-pro Clubs.

Spanish winger, Nicolas Santos-Clase, was quick to highlight the importance of International Partnerships.

"I think that having a relationship with a Spanish Association along with UK links is very important. You can look at bringing a different type of player to one country and vice versa. The Spanish way of playing is one of intricacy. Seven years ago, the National team were winning everything.

"I love English football as well. I think England diversify their opportunities well and I'm used to their academies and way of playing so it's good to have a hybrid of both.

"The fact this Academy modify programmes is excellent. Every player is different and needs to work at different levels to achieve their targets. The future is bright if they can meet specific needs."

Academy Director, Huw Jennings, added: "The Fulham FC Academy has a truly diverse playing base. We pride ourselves on the international dimension to our Academy. This exciting brand-new initiative will give players an excellent experience and insight into the Fulham Academy way in a great location with superb facilities and an excellent education programme."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/march/21/higher-sports-academy-and-spf

WhiteJC

We're Due Big Result – Former Fulham Star On Manchester City Clash

Former Fulham defender Brede Hangeland feels the Cottagers can spring a surprise and get something from their Premier League meeting with defending champions Manchester City after the international break.

Scott Parker's side are second-bottom in the Premier League and their chances of avoiding relegation look slim after winning just one game since the turn of the year.

The Cottagers have the leakiest defence in the division and suffered their seventh successive defeat in the Premier League after succumbing to a 2-1 loss against Liverpool last Sunday.

And the west Londoners are now set to face Pep Guardiola's defending champions Manchester City during their next game in the Premier League after the international break.

Despite embarking on a wretched campaign until now, Hangeland feels Fulham can get something from the game against the Citizens at Craven Cottage.

The Norwegian thinks Fulham can shock the champions if they show the same urgency they displayed against Liverpool and avoid costly mistakes against Manchester City.

"An outside view of this fixture might leave Fulham with little chance of success, but anyone who knows the Premier League is well aware of the margins that decide games at this level", Hangeland wrote in his column for the club's official website.

"If Fulham can avoid mistakes, play from a solid tactical platform and display the same level of urgency as was the case against Liverpool, then of course it is possible to get something next Saturday."

Hangeland also added that playing a big team like Manchester City will give the players a huge lift with crowd behind them at Craven Cottage, and stressed anything can happen with respect to the outcome of the game.

"The prospect of playing such a great team should give the players a lift, and as things stand I think they can play without pressure, as nobody expects anything from Fulham in this game", he continued.

"But with the Craven Cottage crowd behind the team, anything can happen.

"I feel we are due a big result."

Fulham are 13 points adrift of safety with just seven games remaining in the Premier League season.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2019/03/21/were-due-big-result-former-fulham-star-on-manchester-city-clash/414121/

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur 'want Ryan Sessegnon in £25m deal'

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly preparing a £25m bid for Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon.

Sessegnon scored 15 Championship goals for Fulham last season, helping the Cottagers secure a return to the Premier League.

The 18-year-old was linked with a move away from Craven Cottage last summer, but ultimately remained at the club and has made 28 Premier League appearances during the 2018-19 campaign.

A recent report had claimed that the price for Sessegnon would be £50m, but according to The Sun, Tottenham believe that £25m could be enough to convince Fulham to sell the teenager.

Sessegnon has scored 25 times and registered 17 assists in 113 appearances for his London club in all competitions.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/spurs/transfer-talk/news/tottenham-want-sessegnon-in-25m-deal_354126.html

WhiteJC

Cult Heroes: Clint Dempsey at Fulham

Is Clint Dempsey the greatest American footballer to play in the Premier League? If you were to ask Fulham supporters that question, their unanimous response would be to say yes.

The forward began his career in his native country with New England Revolution after being drafted by the club in 2004 and immediately began to send shock-waves through the MLS. Despite only being 21-years-old at the time, he enjoyed a fruitful debut campaign, scoring seven goals in 21 appearances for the Revs.

The following season saw him play an integral role in his club's route to the MLS Cup final as he recorded nineteen goal contributions in just 26 games. However, New England would end up losing the final to LA Galaxy before being defeated at the same stage in 2006 by Houston Dynamo.

Needing a fresh challenge, Dempsey decided to join Fulham later that year in a deal that according to the BBC was worth £2m, which was a Premier League record-fee for an American-born player at the time. His first season at Craven Cottage was a relatively quiet one compared to his MLS escapades yet he did play a key role in saving his new side from relegation.

With two games to go, Fulham were in desperate need of a hero to ensure that they would keep their top-flight status for another season and Dempsey stepped up to the plate, scoring the winner in their game against Liverpool. If the Cottagers had lost or drawn this particular game, they would have been playing Championship football in the following campaign.

Dempsey added to his legacy at the club by contributing to what is arguably Fulham's greatest modern-day achievement in 2010. After securing Europa League football for the very first time in their history in the 2008/09 campaign, the Cottagers faced Italian giants Juventus in the last-16 of the competition.

A 3-1 defeat on their travels in the first leg left Roy Hodgson's side with a mountain to climb at Craven Cottage yet they had levelled the tie by the 60th minute at 4-4 on aggregate courtesy of a brace from Zoltan Gera and a goal from Bobby Zamora which cancelled out David Trezeguet's early strike for I Bianconeri.

With the game heading for extra-time, Dempsey produced a sublime piece of skill to lob Antonio Chimenti in the Juve goal from just outside of the penalty area. It was a goal which will be forever remembered by the club's supporters as the moment where they started to believe that their side could go far in the Europa League.

Victories over Bundesliga sides Wolfsburg and Hamburg in the quarter-finals and semi-finals of the competition set up a meeting with Atletico Madrid in the final. However, despite playing an integral role in Fulham's success in the competition, Dempsey only featured as a substitute against Los Rojiblancos as the Spanish side defeated their spirited opponents in extra-time thanks to a brace from Uruguayan forward Diego Forlan.

Despite their heartbreaking defeat, the Cottagers' players returned to England as heroes for their exploits in Europe with Dempsey leading the way. In the following two seasons for the club, the former New England player top-scored with 12, and 17 Premier League goals before moving to Tottenham Hotspur in 2012.

Although he did make a brief and albeit unsuccessful return to Craven Cottage in 2014 on loan from MLS side Seattle Sounders, his first spell is what he will be remembered for by the club's supporters. By scoring 60 goals in 225 appearances, Dempsey changed opinions regarding American players in England and ultimately secured his place as a modern-day legend for Fulham.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/features/cult-heroes/cult-heroes-clint-dempsey-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Former Liverpool man Ryan Babel makes big Spurs and West Ham transfer claim

The Dutchman is now back in England with Fulham

Ryan Babel returned to the Premier League in January with a move to Fulham after leaving Turkish side Besiktas.

Brought to Craven Cottage by Claudio Ranieri to try and help the west London side beat the drop after a dismal start to the Premier League season, the Dutchman has been unable to help his new side climb the table in 2019.

Looking set to return to the Championship at the first time of asking, Babel is likely to be on the lookout for a new club in the summer with his deal coming to an end, as well as the fact he won't want to drop down to the second tier.

First making a name in the Premier League with Liverpool between 2007 and 2011 as a youngster, the winger played for a further six clubs before heading to Fulham in January.

The Dutch international did in fact return to Ajax after his spell with German side Hoffenheim, but he was only there for the 2012/13 season with the Eredivisie giants.

Speaking to Voetbol International about his career, the player claimed that he was thinking of a potential move to either Spurs or West Ham to try and get his career back on track after failing to impress back in Holland.

"I was thinking of Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa, West Ham United, then sub-elite clubs in the Premier League," he said, as reported by Sport Witness .

Fulham's Ryan Babel holds off West Ham defender Pablo Zabaleta (Image: IAN KINGTON/AFP/Getty Images)

"In Germany, Schalke 04, Bayer Leverkusen and Borussia Dortmund are the clubs who would have suited me.

"My agent called all those clubs and the answer was always the same: "Yes, a good player, but we have three, four other options."

"Then I thought: Never mind."

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/ryan-babel-spurs-transfer-claim-16011411