News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Which team is likeliest to return at the first attempt?

Started by Andy S, April 15, 2019, 01:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 15, 2019, 11:10:44 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on April 15, 2019, 10:44:29 AM
The OP is a very good question but a bit premature.
we do not know who the manager will be or what squad he will have.
When we know that we will be better placed to answer.

However, I am feeling very uneasy about the whole thing next season. I honestly think TK is a man in denial his comments, timed only after we had won a game at last, are miles wide of the truth and more like a schoolboys excuses. If he continues as he has done for the last three seasons in the next transfer window (I am sure he is not letting go of his duties and I expect a very cross daddy will give sonny boy one more chance even though I would not) a better question might be which one of those three will emulate Sunderland, or even Fulham in the late 1960s.

We definitely won't emulate Sunderland of 17/18 or Fulham of 1960s, because both of them had decent DoFs (Chris Coleman and Bobby Robson), but no recent investment in players. We got relegated this year with the 3rd-5th lowest wages bill, next season we will probably have the highest wages, which is first time we have had the highest wages in the league since 2001/2 when we won.

Regardless, whatever happens next season FFC getting relegated with a decent DoF is just not possible, so Sunderland or Fulham repeat not possible.

Coleman is hopeless manager not DoF, therecwere no DoFs in thev60s. Your knowledge of what happened of both fulham then and sunderland now is very wrong and lacking in  understanding. You seem to think we have no chance of going down, you are wrong. Our squad is very unbalanced lacking a defence or leader on the field. TK has proved a mega failure in recruitment, and if he continues  in his current manner we will be in real danger. I speak with knowledge and experience. Not just trying to irrationally defend TK.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ALG01 on April 15, 2019, 08:54:38 PM

However, I am feeling very uneasy about the whole thing next season. I honestly think TK is a man in denial his comments, timed only after we had won a game at last, are miles wide of the truth and more like a schoolboys excuses. If he continues as he has done for the last three seasons in the next transfer window (I am sure he is not letting go of his duties and I expect a very cross daddy will give sonny boy one more chance even though I would not) a better question might be which one of those three will emulate Sunderland, or even Fulham in the late 1960s.

We definitely won't emulate Sunderland of 17/18 or Fulham of 1960s, because both of them had decent DoFs (Chris Coleman and Bobby Robson), but no recent investment in players. We got relegated this year with the 3rd-5th lowest wages bill, next season we will probably have the highest wages, which is first time we have had the highest wages in the league since 2001/2 when we won.

Regardless, whatever happens next season FFC getting relegated with a decent DoF is just not possible, so Sunderland or Fulham repeat not possible.

Coleman is hopeless manager not DoF, therecwere no DoFs in thev60s. Your knowledge of what happened of both fulham then and sunderland now is very wrong and lacking in  understanding. You seem to think we have no chance of going down, you are wrong. Our squad is very unbalanced lacking a defence or leader on the field. TK has proved a mega failure in recruitment, and if he continues  in his current manner we will be in real danger. I speak with knowledge and experience. Not just trying to irrationally defend TK.

Sir Bobby Robson was manager and in those days the manager was the "director of football". My understanding was Chris Coleman got a lot of say in the winter transfer window, but with a budget of nothing, its safe to say the DoF made no mistakes. We are not getting relegated unless the DoF messes up the Summer Transfer Window. If the DoF, does nothing it will keep us up guaranteed. The only way we can get relegated is if the DoF does something rather than nothing. We have the players we need for the Chmapionship, any extra is a bonus, but don't sell players that we can keep for a few seasons.

ALG01

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 16, 2019, 01:38:32 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on April 15, 2019, 08:54:38 PM

Sir Bobby Robson was manager and in those days the manager was the "director of football". My understanding was Chris Coleman got a lot of say in the winter transfer window, but with a budget of nothing, its safe to say the DoF made no mistakes. We are not getting relegated unless the DoF messes up the Summer Transfer Window. If the DoF, does nothing it will keep us up guaranteed. The only way we can get relegated is if the DoF does something rather than nothing. We have the players we need for the Chmapionship, any extra is a bonus, but don't sell players that we can keep for a few seasons.

Bobby Robson was a short lived manager and the troubles of fulham then were multitudinous.
Coleman is a rotten manager and a bad error of judgement
Neither were director's of football and in the 60s teams were structured completely differently the position did not exist.
What i was saying in effect was that mismanagement from the top caused both Fulham and Sunderland to collapse then.

We are in a very similar state of affairs now and I do not think you are understanding the impact
of allowing failure to continue as if nothing had happend. Nothing TK says has suggested he has understood a single thing and my experience says that unless he is removed from his current position we will be in substantial danger. I see that with same crystal clarity as when in September I said we would not make 30 points.

If TK remains without massively changing his ways/philosophy, we are more like a bottom 6 team next season. We need a defence and have none worthy of the name, we needed it fo this season but that never happened. we need to sign eagre fit players that are capable.

hovewhite

With our squad which we have a group of good footballers quality wise so if we don't need to sell them it should be us.

Bill2

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on April 15, 2019, 08:52:16 AM
I'm not sure Brighton will go down. I think Cardiff are to far gone to come back.
Neither team have an easy run in and tonight's fixture will be influential but the Brighton's run in is much tougher than Cardiff's. Brighton need to win tonight as they only have one fixture, home to Newcastle, which the bookies would give them a chance and bearing in mind they won't have Knockaert available for 3 of them. Cardiff have 2 games where they might have a chance, us and Palace, the other 2 matches being Liverpool and Man U.
Could be interesting game tonight and wonder if it might get a bit feisty, hope the 4th official is wearing earplugs or sends Colin to the stands early.

Statto

A team of Bettinelli, Bryan, Mawson, Kalas (back on loan), Odoi, Anguissa, Cairney, Seri/Johansen, Sessegnon, Mitrovic and Ayite should romp the Championship. It's there for the taking.

snarks

Quote from: Statto on April 16, 2019, 01:34:05 PM
A team of Bettinelli, Bryan, Mawson, Kalas (back on loan), Odoi, Anguissa, Cairney, Seri/Johansen, Sessegnon, Mitrovic and Ayite should romp the Championship. It's there for the taking.

I agree with that, (with your should caveat) but would buy Kalas.

Rodshig

Think too early to tell. The last time we went down, we were favs to come back up. Magath got rid of the pl team and brought in players like fotheringham..

Only when a decision on who will the full time manager, Which players will stay and go, And any further investment in the team then we will get a clearer picture on where we will stand nxt season

ALG01

IF i may. The 11 you list might be OK depending on the manager but we got lucky with injuries last season so we need rather more depth to the squad and that is still an issue. Personally I am not an Ayite fan although I love his effort and character, and would make every effort to keep babel who at 32 may prefer to be in our first team than warm the bench elsewhere. I also think RB is a big issue and we need a quality player with pace, such as fred was, if we are realyy going to have a bash at first time return.

And Mawsom? Will he be fit for a whole season? If he is brilliant, if not we need another dominant CB.

Woolly Mammoth

As I am forbidden to mention his name, but to give you a clue his first name rhymes with Pony.
If the aforementioned is relieved of his responsibility's, then we are head and shoulders ( not the Joe Hart version ) above the other two clubs who will have the misfortune of being relegated alongside us.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

..FOF..

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 15, 2019, 08:40:01 AM
Quote from: ..FOF.. on April 15, 2019, 03:52:40 AM
On paper, it will be Fulham.

What about stone and scissors.

Stone and scissors will bear the name of those who...... wait, I'm going to get into trouble for this:P

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on April 15, 2019, 06:56:38 PM
Quote from: ..FOF.. on April 15, 2019, 03:52:40 AM
On paper, it will be Fulham.

On paper, Fulham should have survived in the Premier league!

You got that right.

Sting of the North

Quote from: ALG01 on April 16, 2019, 03:38:07 PM

IF i may. The 11 you list might be OK depending on the manager but we got lucky with injuries last season so we need rather more depth to the squad and that is still an issue. Personally I am not an Ayite fan although I love his effort and character, and would make every effort to keep babel who at 32 may prefer to be in our first team than warm the bench elsewhere. I also think RB is a big issue and we need a quality player with pace, such as fred was, if we are realyy going to have a bash at first time return.

And Mawsom? Will he be fit for a whole season? If he is brilliant, if not we need another dominant CB.

As it currently stands (assuming that we keep players and extend contracts, all of which is in the hands of the club on paper as far as I know), our bench with Statto´s team above (excluding Kalas who is not our player) would include Fabri/Rodak, Ream/MLM, Christie, Seri/Johansen, Kmac, Kamara and kebano (and Fonte). We also have what is reported to be very promising youngsters in Steven Sess, O'riley, Fossey, Edun, De La Torre, and Elliott among others. Doesn't look too shabby to me. I understand that there is likely to be players leaving, and also players coming in, but there is reason to be at least cautiously optimistic if there is any truth to the intent of the club in keeping the team together.

Mitch

Cardiff - they are a team that won't face half of the changes that we possibly could. They signed players of Championship level with potential for better, rather than the likes of Seri and Anguissa, and then made a damn sight of a better fist at staying up than we did. They have Warnock and as it stands, we have no-one as manager.

Andy S

Mitch

Quote from: Andy S on April 18, 2019, 11:42:40 PM
I think I would prefer our position than theirs
What is our position though? Hard to tell at this stage. We don't even have a manager.

Looking forward to the game next week. Hopefully Scott plays some of the players we can expect next year so we know where we are headed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sting of the North

Quote from: Mitch on April 19, 2019, 07:58:03 AM
What is our position though? Hard to tell at this stage. We don't even have a manager.

Looking forward to the game next week. Hopefully Scott plays some of the players we can expect next year so we know where we are headed.

What is their position? Except for the manager, what is the difference, since I would assume that it is hard to know their position as well if they are relegated.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Barrett487 on April 15, 2019, 08:24:28 PM
Assuming Cardiff go down they have to be favourites to go back up. We've not got the mettle or mentality at the moment. I dearly hope that Saturday wasn't a flash in the pan and that i'm forced to change my opinion, but even Huddersfield have fought better than us this season imo.
An excellent sumarry of things.

Mitch

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 19, 2019, 12:41:13 PM
Quote from: Mitch on April 19, 2019, 07:58:03 AM

What is their position? Except for the manager, what is the difference, since I would assume that it is hard to know their position as well if they are relegated.
It's only my assumption, but I would expect them to have less players leave than us. They seemed to buy players who would stay for the Championship. Big believer than overhauls and big squad changes don't help with success, so would have them as favourites based on that. But it is just an assumption.

The manager situation as it stands is a black mark for us. Could swing both ways of course- we could get someone great, we could also get Clarke...

Statto

Quote from: Mitch on April 20, 2019, 08:18:22 PM
It's only my assumption, but I would expect them to have less players leave than us.

That is what makes these threads so pointless at this stage. Every post, admittedly including some of my own, is based on some speculative, largely baseless assumptions about which players will or won't be here next year. I said on another thread, it's like arguing about what to wear for the first home match of the season. One person assumes it will rain and says wear a mac, another assumes it will be a scorcher and says wear a t-shirt and sunglasses. Bit of a pointless discussion really.