https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Credit due where credits deserved

Started by H4usuallysitting, April 15, 2019, 07:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 17, 2019, 10:50:44 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on April 17, 2019, 03:06:22 PM

If rumors are true about relegation clauses reducing wages etc. it indicates that they may have learnt something from last time around, and in a sense that should receive some credit. However, the fact that we may be decently equipped to have a good shout of promotion next year doesn't cover the fact that the most important goal of the season (staying in the PL) was not even close to being achieved. I would be very surprised if that was not the main goal with our acquisitions.

While loan signings job is to keep us up, permanent signing are to ensure we are in the premier league by the end of our contract. Granted get relegated wasn't the plan, but given only 7 teams haven't been relegated in the last eight years. Tony Khans plan should involve a relegation at some point and coming back up must be a plan. TK relegation clauses if true proves he has planed to bounce like WBA did three times a decade ago. Mitrovoic, Anguiisaa and Bryan are great signings to get back up.

When Shahid Khan took over he said he thought FFC could do things better, and it seems part of that was longer term view on signings. Tottenham are talking about signing both Sessegnons and neither might start next season, but are still excellent buys at the right price.

If the news about the relegation clauses are correct, we are not in just a good position next season but also the season after to get promoted. I doubt we can keep Ryan Sessegnon, but if can reinvest all his transfer fee into the team wow. Our team against Everton is better than any in the Championship, and I think Fabri/Betts, Christie/Odoi, McDonald/ Johasen/Seri can cover the players lost not in the forward line. For me, the biggest issues next season are the forward line and their backups.

Just because you take action to mitigate a potential relegation does not equal that it was in TK's plan that we would get relegated at some point. Of course that was not the plan. And of course the signings were made primarily with this season in mind. There is no contradiction between that and having a back up plan, but it doesn't change the fact that this season was a resounding failure.

Hopefully though, next season can be a good one, but there is quite some distance to go before we even know what the squad will look like. I do agree that we are in a strong position squad wise, with many cards at least seemingly in the hands of the club.

Mitch

Who manages contracts? Ali Mac? Any clauses pertaining to relegation should be standard, not strokes of genius. That said if you credit anyone for that, it's likely Ali.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sting of the North

Quote from: Mitch on April 18, 2019, 10:18:18 AM
Who manages contracts? Ali Mac? Any clauses pertaining to relegation should be standard, not strokes of genius. That said if you credit anyone for that, it's likely Ali.

I think the credit would be more in the overall strategy of getting fairly young players in on long contracts that still will hopefully not cripple the club economically (for example through relegation clauses). In other words, signings not only for the immediate needs, but also for the future. This is much opposed to what we had last time we were relegated.

Mitch

Fair point that re the age of players. Hasn't considered that within that context. Recruitment team and DoF got it right aiming for' younger' players.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Mitch on April 18, 2019, 10:33:15 AM
Fair point that re the age of players. Hasn't considered that within that context. Recruitment team and DoF got it right aiming for' younger' players.

Yes, if they follow it up by keeping most of those players, so that the squad disruption is kept to a minimum (since I hope that the main goal is still to be relatively competitive, meaning promotion push next season). Jury's still out, but it's not necessarily all bad for the future.

Mitch

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 18, 2019, 10:37:18 AM
Quote from: Mitch on April 18, 2019, 10:33:15 AM

Yes, if they follow it up by keeping most of those players, so that the squad disruption is kept to a minimum (since I hope that the main goal is still to be relatively competitive, meaning promotion push next season). Jury's still out, but it's not necessarily all bad for the future.
Well, in terms of this thread, no the jury is in and the recruitment team messed up hugely.

In terms of nezt season and whether we have a team who can compete in the Championship - that's a whole other question and it's too early to tell.