watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

At what stage would you give up?

Started by Andy S, April 19, 2019, 11:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

At matches every week supporters sing "I'm Fulham till I die" and I believe they mean it. In the 1960's after we were relegated and drifted through the leagues our support dwindled from 22,000 to around 3,000. When we came back up with Al Fayed at the helm our support lifted again. What level would you drift away?

Fernhurst

Posted before........if Fulham played in front of one man and his dog....... I would buy a dog.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

WhiteJC

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 19, 2019, 12:36:52 PM
Posted before........if Fulham played in front of one man and his dog....... I would buy a dog.

Mr Ferniest sir you'd be more than welcome to stand next to me with my dog Finn  049:gif

filham

I was always one of those 3000 that came along in the doldrum years and I will be back next season even after this so disappointing season. Not really sure I can explain why, just something indefinable that was planted in me at a young age and is now in my make up.

Ronnief

I started attending regularly in 1968 and went through all the ups and down. Remember the Thames Bank Travellers. I will never give up attending until I can no longer do so. So come on you whites. 049:gif

Twig

I stayed with the club throughout the lean years. I wasn't in a position to have a ST in those days and I must admit I did miss more matches, FFC v Grimsby (or whoever) on a cold, rainy January didn't always whet my appetite!

Bill2

Never, Fulham till I die. I was there when they walked a coffin around the pitch and were collecting change in buckets.

H4usuallysitting

I remember standing in the Putney end sharing my Dad's brolly - we always went in the Putney end as my Dad could park in Bishops Park Road.....sometimes saw the team warming up in Bishops Park

Plodder

If you truly support a club, you don't give up on them whatever division they are playing in. I saw almost every home game (and many aways) from the early 1970s to the mid 1990s, most of which were in either the old Division Two (Championship) or Division Three (League One). Rarely did we see any "success".  The only reason I gave up my season ticket was when family, work and other voluntary activities mean that I had neither enough time or money to be able to go - just as we began to get good under Tigana - and I was only able to go 4-5 times a year during our Premiership/Premier League years. I go now when time and money allow, and once I have retired from work and qualify for senior citizen status, I shall consider getting a season ticket, even if we are in League Two or below. For me, it is not all about being in the top flight. It is about Fulham Football Club, and the matches away at places such as Exeter, Rotherham Ashford meant (and mean) as much to me as the games I have seen at Old Trafford, Anfield and the like.

Jims Dentist

I was also one of the 3000, and also did most Saturday away games at the time, but I was younger then.
Now, older and more cynical, I am not yet committed to a ST next season.
Not the only factor, but much depends on whether TK is still head of recruitment.

Lighthouse

When I could afford it I travelled away from home and had a season ticket for years. Now money is a problem and as others have said the hardship of just getting to the matches now are much harder than they were when I was a kid. Travel id harder and the expense is huge.

I may occasionally fall out of love with football. But Fulham have been there since I was a kid and my Dad supported them as a kid and my family were dragged along from time to time. History means Fulham will always be part of me. No matter where or how low we fall. I have supported them in all four divisions and seen them in all four divisions. How could we ever give it up?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Ronnief on April 19, 2019, 02:06:48 PM
I started attending regularly in 1968 and went through all the ups and down. Remember the Thames Bank Travellers. I will never give up attending until I can no longer do so. So come on you whites. 049:gif

A few stories could be written about the TBT years. Some of the best memories about supporting FFC involved TBT trips. Carlisle away overnight, Merthyr for the Ivor friendly and the friendly to raise money for Johnny Owen, , Bath City friendly which coincided with Sean O'Driscoll joining, Reseve match at Hereford when the match was brought forward by a day with a day's notice and there were only 7 of us on a 52 seater, plus all the more normal away trips. Brilliant memories made all the better by the late Fergie and many others sadly no longer with us.

The Enclosurite

The only conceivable reasons I feel I would stop would be wealth or health.
¡COYW!

ALG01

I have had a season ticketsince the early 60s, i will never give up.
The alan dicks years, don mckay years and the worst ever ian branfoot debacle.... but i am still here.

That is why i feel justified in saying all the critical things i do. Things are not right, i will always speak up andnot defend those that have so badly let us down both now and over all the years i supported.

Andy S

Like most on here I have supported Fulham since 1967. I got interested in football after the World Cup. I supported Fulham all through the years and remember our first computerised electronic score board that went mad in the middle of a game and was never seen again. I remember Bobby Robson's last game as a player as well as Johnny Haynes finale. I remember being on the pitch for the half time protest with the made up signs Clay rapes Bulstrode murders. We all sang well never leave the Cottage. Thank God we never had to.

RaySmith

Have watched Fulham from the old  top division to the bottom division and back again, and will continue to do so, though unable now through expense and location to go to every home game, but probably would if I could.

Remember the days of the old Third Division, when you could sit down on the  Enclosure terracing, so few  fans there, but when the familiar White shirts emerge from the Cottage the thrill is always the same as when I first went to games, and  saw Johnny Haynes  lead the team out - Come On You Whites.

Peabody

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 19, 2019, 01:38:39 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on April 19, 2019, 12:36:52 PM

Mr Ferniest sir you'd be more than welcome to stand next to me with my dog Finn  049:gif

Can I bring my cat?

SuffolkWhite

Yep as said above only money that can stop me.

Next season no ST for me as the cost of travel is too much for a whole season. Will share a ST if I can. But there have been years I haven't attended much and others where I have had a ST and its down to dosh nothing else.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Cambridge Pete

Started in 1958 and no matter what Division will continue getting down as often as finances allow.No longer have a ST and this season have only managed four games. However, every game I'm either listening or watching the narrative on the Beeb.Shame that the "local" games for me (Norwich and Ipswich) won't happen next season  but I will still get to a few games.

WokingFFC

I was there during the doldrums, a greenpoler 
:003: even had my DM boot mark in the wet cement. Introduced my now wife to Fulham in '94 and we were part of a small band that would travel to some away games too, 20 or 30 of us at the likes of Walsall, Cambridge, Plymouth and Port Vale, good fu
even in the dark days