watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In all seriousness.....

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, April 19, 2019, 05:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

If we get it wrong next season, what do you think our chances are of us going down again?
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Fernhurst

In answer to your question - IMHO our chances could be quite high.
3 or 4 Premier squad players and a couple of young rated strikers on loan will keep us up.

We need to be much more solid and 75% more athletic whilst retaining ball possession style.

Either that or chuck a few mill at The French 2nd division.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Just looking at the championship table and seen both Ipswich and Bolton have both gone down. It wasn't that long ago that they were in the premiership.
Just aware that it could end horribly.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Fernhurst

It was just awful when it happened to us last time in around 1968/9.... I remember ( I think) our Chairman at the time (a vaudeville comic Tommy Trinder) make an announcement from the balcony of Craven Cottage stating they were not going to get rid of the flags (of the other clubs in The First Division) that adorned the Riverside before the stand was built as they would need them next season ....... Poor Tommy, never lived to see our return some thirty years later.

YankeeJim

The pessimism of Fulham fans never ceases to amaze me. This subject is premature to say the least.
Truth be told, the thought has crossed my mind as well.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

hovewhite

SuffolkWhite

Waaaaaay toooooooo early for this question, we dont know what squad we have yet!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

MikeTheCubed

We should be able to put out a first 11 next season which half consists of the team which went 23 games unbeaten the previous Championship season. Wholesale changes aren't likely to be required, more likely we'll just need a small number of astute signings.

Cue the signing of 6 injury-prone Transylvanian wingers...

Ara's bacon crisps

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about next season tbh, even if they stick with Parker.

Obviously it depends on the personnel available in August, but I'm assuming Mitro, Sess,Seri and the loans will all go.

TC is making all the right noises about staying and, if he does, then him, KMac, the returning StefJo and possibly Anguissa, plus Kebano and Ayite in/on the wings, ought to be plenty to see off most Championship midfields.

And even if TC does go, surely we've got to believe that if Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund are keen on him, Matt O'Riley must be good enough for the Championship at some point, before we waste him as we wasted Roberts and Hyndman.

Even at the back Bryan, Ream, Mawson, Christie, with Odoi to fill in, will still be one of the stronger Championship defences. The conundrum, of course, is that they've all proved this season that they're nowhere near good enough for the PL, so if we do somehow sneak back up, then we're back where we were last August, trying to find a whole new defence in a couple of months and hoping to god they can all play together.

Betts, Fabri and Rodak is more than good enough for the Championship, so the real area to strengthen urgently is upfront - splash £15m on a Gayle/Rodriguez/Maupay type to play alongside de la Torre and we could be in business.

All in all, if it pans out anything like above, I can see us spending most of the season around 8th to 12th, before gallantly finishing a point off the playoffs, and I could happily settle for this, given the carnage this season.

On the other hand, if they dump Parker for someone they googled who prefers to play a lump of cheese upfront and let the crown jewels leave for nothing, then I look forward to joining you on a tour of Southend, Gillingham and the like in 2020/21....

filham

Lets just think about who is likely to leave us. Loan players Babel and Chambers will be out of sight early, Mirtrovic , Sess., Cairney, Seri, Anguissa and Rico will not want to play in the championship so our statingline up coul be something like.

Betts
                               Christie         Mawson        Ream   Bryan
                                                  McDonald       Cisse
                                         Ayite  A.N Other           Kebano
                                                  A.N. Other

Looks like a relegation battle to me.

Fernhurst

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about next season tbh, even if they stick with Parker.

So am I Ara ..... watched Norwich v Sheff Weds last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We all appreciate how hard it is to crack the Prem and stay there, and by far more difficult than last time we were promoted in 2001.

As others have said a few astute signings (they are out there.....Ryan Bable) and we could be challenging.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 19, 2019, 06:24:06 PM
In answer to your question - IMHO our chances could be quite high.
3 or 4 Premier squad players and a couple of young rated strikers on loan will keep us up.

We need to be much more solid and 75% more athletic whilst retaining ball possession style.

Either that or chuck a few mill at The French 2nd division.

I think the striker thing is huge, watching Sheffield United yesterday they had Billy Sharpe our injured but were able to field and bring on, Scott Hogan, Gary Madine and David Mcgoldrick.

We seriously need to bolster our fire power, if Mitro stays great but we need at least 3 men who can lead the line

Logicalman

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on April 19, 2019, 05:26:57 PM
If we get it wrong next season, what do you think our chances are of us going down again?

Not wishing to be unnecessarily pedantic, but surely the result of getting it wrong IS relegation?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Penfold

Quote from: filham on April 19, 2019, 08:31:21 PM
Lets just think about who is likely to leave us. Loan players Babel and Chambers will be out of sight early, Mirtrovic , Sess., Cairney, Seri, Anguissa and Rico will not want to play in the championship so our statingline up coul be something like.

Betts
                               Christie         Mawson        Ream   Bryan
                                                  McDonald       Cisse
                                         Ayite  A.N Other           Kebano
                                                  A.N. Other

Looks like a relegation battle to me.

I think that defence would be OK in the Championship. However, not enough goals so would struggle.

Lighthouse

When I was at  school, many moons ago, there was this kid who always used to ask questions like this. What would happen if you were run over by a steamroller? Well you would die. What would happen if you were buried alive and had no hope of escape? Well you would die.

As with this question. If we get it badly wrong then we will go down. If not then we will stay up. If we keep the right players, bring in a few decent additions and don't play as if we are complete strangers. Then who knows?

Personally a comfy mid table season to and some good moments to enjoy would be ok. Just calm ourselves after the vitriol poured on the club by some fans. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Rational Fan

Zero chance of going down provided the DoF sells no one and the manager plays the right players.

Penfold

Quote from: The Rational Fan on April 20, 2019, 01:52:52 PM
Zero chance of going down provided the DoF sells no one and the manager plays the right players.

Well, some players will be sold. The other million dollar question is who will the manager be? Or will it just be a head coach?

Still, sun's out and more cricket 🏏tomorrow 😎

_Putney_